Tipping

JennyN

DIS Veteran
I realise this is off topic but I need some advise on tipping. If I am paying with a credit card at a restaurant is it ok to add the tip on to the credit card bill or should I leave the tip in cash on the table? I usually add it to the bill but my daughter is worried the staff won’t get it.

You can certainly add it to your credit card charge. In fact, at Disney, I think most of the restaurants have the percentages listed a the bottom of the receipt. It's very easy and commonly done. I don't think there should be any worries about the staff getting it.

Now, a lot of servers might prefer a cash tip, but I think that has more to do with Uncle Sam than anything else.

I realise this is off topic but I need some advise on tipping. If I am paying with a credit card at a restaurant is it ok to add the tip on to the credit card bill or should I leave the tip in cash on the table? I usually add it to the bill but my daughter is worried the staff won’t get it.
No, you can add it to the credit card without an issue.

I've never left a cash tip. Far too much happening in this restaurants for me to want to leave cash lying around. I've never heard of any issues with cc based tips.

I almost always tip in cash because -- I've been told -- it makes things easier for the server. But a CC tip is certainly acceptable.

Speaking of tipping, I've never seen a CM -- a performer, for example -- offered or accept a tip. Is tipping not allowed for CMs (not talking about wait staff)?

Last edited:

Speaking of tipping, I've never seen a CM -- a performer, for example -- offered or accepting a tip. Is tipping not allowed for CMs (not talking about wait staff)?
Tipping is only allowed for servers at table service restaurants, valets, bell hops and for housekeeping at the hotels. Tipping is not allowed for counter service, characters or anything else. Also, even at breakfast Plaza Inn is considered counter service, so no tipping is needed there either.

Speaking of tipping, I've never seen a CM -- a performer, for example -- offered or accepting a tip. Is tipping not allowed for CMs (not talking about wait staff)?
Tipping is allowed to the above and also to Tour Guides. If someone insists on tipping, after the 3rd time, they can accept, it is then turned in and donated (generally goes to the Children's Hospital of Orange County.)

Tipping is allowed to the above and also to Tour Guides. If someone insists on tipping, after the 3rd time, they can accept, it is then turned in and donated (generally goes to the Children's Hospital of Orange County.)
Really? My understanding is Tour Guides aren't allowed to accept tips and yes you can insist on tipping untipped positions, but there is little point, unless you really just want to donate the money to charity.

I usually add it to the bill but my daughter is worried the staff won’t get it.

Why is she worried about that? As far as I know lawsuits have happened over things like that. It’s not something that’s allowed. And since many/most/all? Disney employees are union, any funny business with tips would be noticed and stopped very quickly.

Not something I’d worry about.

Why is she worried about that? As far as I know lawsuits have happened over things like that. It’s not something that’s allowed. And since many/most/all? Disney employees are union, any funny business with tips would be noticed and stopped very quickly.

I tend to agree with this. I spent nearly a decade in food service from High School through Grad School, and given Disney's size and systems, really the only advantage to cash for a server (other than a potential issue with expediency if tips are held and paid by check) is that it would allow them to pull some 'funny business' of their own (ie - don't report it to Uncle Sam, don't properly account for it in tip-sharing with other employees, etc...). I don't know the systems at WDW to know how long it will take but, on a cc, they will get it (perhaps just not quite as soon). If someone prefers cash as a server, it is likely either 1) it gets to them faster or 2) because it allows them some flexibility in how much of it they account for.

Why is she worried about that? As far as I know lawsuits have happened over things like that.
That's why she is concerned about tipping on the card rather than cash. Servers have been forced to file lawsuits to get what is rightfully theirs.

I, too, worry about the money actually getting to the server. I always leave a cash tip.

No, tour guides are a tipped position.
Really? My understanding is Tour Guides aren't allowed to accept tips and yes you can insist on tipping untipped positions, but there is little point, unless you really just want to donate the money to charity.

I was a WDW cm, we had to decline the tip 3 times and then accept. We were never made to give it to charity, or to a manager etc. If it was something for the team - happened a lot at the front desk when i worked at one of the hotels - we would save it and get lunch when we had enough.

I started as a seating hostess in a ts restaurant and we did the cash out at the end of the night for the servers. They get the cc tips at the end of their shift.

Yep i'd be more worried about the server not getting cash left on the table that literally anyone can grab.

That's why she is concerned about tipping on the card rather than cash. Servers have been forced to file lawsuits to get what is rightfully theirs.

I, too, worry about the money actually getting to the server. I always leave a cash tip.

I know a lot of bigger companies now have it where the server can see what their credit card tip was after a customer cashed out. When I was a server (at decent places and not some of the smaller places I worked at) credit card tips were preferred as many of our coworkers stole our cash tips.

Bumbershoot she was just worried because we are not from the US so we were unsure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!