Tipping ?

M

magic cruiser

We will arrive via TTC at the VWL. We usually tip the TTC driver $10.00 each way. When do we tip the bellman...when he loads our bags on the cart and puts them in storage ( assuming we have arrived prior to check-in ) OR when they're brought to our room ? And what if it's not the same person ? Maybe I should tip each time ? :confused:

Some people tip each time, but tipping guides say that you only have to tip when you receive your luggage, which is when we do it. No, it may not be the same person, but I'm sure they have some kind of a system to make sure everyone gets tips.

I was curious to the tipping as well. OTHER than the waitstaff and the issue of tipping housekeeping, when do you tip and how much?

I work at the Bell Desk here in Las Vegas. I don't know how it is in WDW resorts, but here in LV the guy who takes your bags from your car is someone different from the person who brings your bags to your room.

So ask if they will be delivering the bags to your room. If not, consider tipping a buck a bag or so to the baggage handler.

Just a personal note, I never tipped baggage handlers until I became one. It's one of the toughest jobs (you work outside in the heat) at the resort, but is overlooked for tips 50-60% of the time.

Okay I have to admit that I never think to tip the maids. I think that it is because I never see them. Also many times I only stay in a hotel one night and I just forget.

Anybody else want to fess up who they forget to tip.

Sharbear

Well, I told my husband it's customary to tip the housekeeping, but he disagrees with doing that.

As far as luggage handling, we tipped so many $1-$2 a bag for doing so very little on our last trip that we finally got tired of it on our return portion and told them we didn't need help. That's why our luggage has wheels. Does anyone else get annoyed when shuttle drivers or bellhops practically rip the bags out of your hands in their zeal for the tip? I had a tiny roller bag and a bellhop tried to take it from me when I was almost in the door. I like to tip, don't get me wrong, but a tip needs to be deserved and not forced upon you.

origanally posted by travelitis

Well, I told my husband it's customary to tip the housekeeping, but he disagrees with doing that.

Boy! He might change his mind if he had to do thier job for a day at the wages they get!

I always tip the bellman who gets the baggage out from my vehicle($10), then the one who brings it to the room and sets it up for me as well. if they just bring it to the room and dump it on the floor they get like 5 bucks.(these guys work in the heat and exhaust and have to lift tons of heavy bags and things) I may be over tipping, but when they see me coming to get my car, they are fast! I have discovered the better you tip the better the service!
I do have a problem with tipping housekeeping when I am paying over 200 a night for the room. They aren't doing anything more than putting new towels in for me. (I usually request just that.) I could care less if my bed is made daily.

Being Scottish it's a relief to see an American posting this! We have been confused on this issue too but we tend now to have a tip ready for when the bring the luggage to the room and when they give us the luggage back. I have also seen us tipping the person who loads/unloads the luggage and if we've had to get back into our cases for something during the day. Yes, it IS very confusing and you just don't want to appear stingy! ;) :bounce:
Funnily enough, it seems that US bellhops get more than Canadians - both seem to be 1-2 dollars (of their own currency) per bag. Given that our bags are always really heavy we err on the higher side - hey, I wouldn't want to lift those bags. It is funny though seeing the look on their faces as the lift the bags and try to look like it's no problem at all! LOL

:bounce:

I believe the tips for housekeeping are included with the room rate at WDW hotels. I do tip at other hotels, if I have an extended stay (ie more than one night).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter