Time To Get Girly!

AliceNDinah

DIS Veteran
For all you Disney ladies out there:
I am not a vain, Diva-princess, however I would like to feel like I look okay for the load of pictures yet to come ;-) I'm wondering what are your go-to makeup/hair supplies that you bring? Like I say, I am not planning on spending hours getting ready, but would like to look good for park days. If it helps, we are going at the tail-end of August, regarding any heat/humidity/other weather, etc.
And can I just ask: Do you have certain must have "undergarment" type things you bring? Specifically, things to help make your stomach flatter, body look better, you get the drift? I bring this up because I am SO looking forward to this vacation, and I know I will look at the pictures and reminisce alot after it's all done. I just want the confidence in knowing I look good (no muffin top, ha). I did a Disneyland trip some years back and was less than thrilled with some of the pictures after the fact---I don't want that this time around. I know this is a fluffy-type question, but I know you experts must have some tips and tricks up your sleeves! I do appreciate any responses, and thank you for your time!!!!!!!

I wear clothes appropriate to my body type ("muffin top" is a result of ill-fitting clothes), and pull my hair back in a ponytail. That's the extent of my prep. I'm not going to fry myself wearing spanx or a girdle for the sake of photos. I'm also not going to put on makeup that will likely just melt/sweat off through the day, or smear around when I inevitably have to reapply sunblock.

I pretty rarely wear makeup though, so there's that too...

I'm all about the comfort when on vacation, if my hair is long it's up in a pony tail right now it pixie short. I don't wear tight clothes so no muffin top for me, in the hotter months I usually wear sundresses in the cooler months I wear capris and tshirts. It might be because I'm a diver and more often than not we are in wetsuits with wet hair so I just don't worry about it.

For all you Disney ladies out there:
I am not a vain, Diva-princess, however I would like to feel like I look okay for the load of pictures yet to come ;-) I'm wondering what are your go-to makeup/hair supplies that you bring? Like I say, I am not planning on spending hours getting ready, but would like to look good for park days. If it helps, we are going at the tail-end of August, regarding any heat/humidity/other weather, etc.
And can I just ask: Do you have certain must have "undergarment" type things you bring? Specifically, things to help make your stomach flatter, body look better, you get the drift? I bring this up because I am SO looking forward to this vacation, and I know I will look at the pictures and reminisce alot after it's all done. I just want the confidence in knowing I look good (no muffin top, ha). I did a Disneyland trip some years back and was less than thrilled with some of the pictures after the fact---I don't want that this time around. I know this is a fluffy-type question, but I know you experts must have some tips and tricks up your sleeves! I do appreciate any responses, and thank you for your time!!!!!!!

I wonder about this too! We will be going in November and while I don't need professional photos, I would like nice photos :)

I don't wear makeup at home, so can probably get away with that, but am thinking of trying some of the foundations/powders recommended for oily/combo skin types. I think a translucent setting powder after sunscreen might work well. But I'm probably going to just wear a sun hat in the parks and not need sunscreen on most of my face, just body, so perhaps just the powder?

Also, I have long curly hair that does NOT do well in humidity. (I grew up in Florida... I know the horrors.) I've been researching keratin hair treatments to keep my hair either straight or straight-wavy, and frizz-free. Then rain showers, sweat etc. wouldn't be any issue, and getting ready wouldn't involve much with my hair. Just air dry and go!!! What a dream :) I think I'll try one this summer, and if it goes well, get another in early November...

As for undergarment type things, you might try spandex, high-waisted underwear under whatever you plan to wear. I used to always wear semi high-waisted boyshorts under sundresses if I was bloated, on my period etc. in the summers. And though it's not quite the same as shapewear, finding the right kind will be smoothing and flattering.

ETA: if the keratin treatment turns out to be a bust, I will probably either opt for french braids on park days (dear partner will have to learn too :laughing:) or maybe cut my hair to shoulder length.

Oh thanks all of you, I really appreciate your time and thoughts!!! Like I say, it's kind of a fluffy question, I was just wondering how other ladies out there feel. Thanks again :)

I usually just curl my eyelashes and wear waterproof mascara and tinted lipbalm (anything more than that I seem to sweat off in the heat), a cute sundress, some comfortable sandals, and then I do a loose french braid...my hair is long and thick so this seems to control it the best and looks nice. This works best for me and is easy and comfortable and looks nice in pictures :)

I wonder about this too! We will be going in November and while I don't need professional photos, I would like nice photos :)

I don't wear makeup at home, so can probably get away with that, but am thinking of trying some of the foundations/powders recommended for oily/combo skin types. I think a translucent setting powder after sunscreen might work well. But I'm probably going to just wear a sun hat in the parks and not need sunscreen on most of my face, just body, so perhaps just the powder?

Also, I have long curly hair that does NOT do well in humidity. (I grew up in Florida... I know the horrors.) I've been researching keratin hair treatments to keep my hair either straight or straight-wavy, and frizz-free. Then rain showers, sweat etc. wouldn't be any issue, and getting ready wouldn't involve much with my hair. Just air dry and go!!! What a dream :) I think I'll try one this summer, and if it goes well, get another in early November...

As for undergarment type things, you might try spandex, high-waisted underwear under whatever you plan to wear. I used to always wear semi high-waisted boyshorts under sundresses if I was bloated, on my period etc. in the summers. And though it's not quite the same as shapewear, finding the right kind will be smoothing and flattering.

ETA: if the keratin treatment turns out to be a bust, I will probably either opt for french braids on park days (dear partner will have to learn too :laughing:) or maybe cut my hair to shoulder length.

Keratin treatments are AMAZING! The only bad thing about them is that you will want them all the time lol

My hair is a permanent disaster, but with a little bit of this and that -- and a whole lot of bobby pins -- I can at least keep it relatively under control.
To keep make-up in place, at home or at Disney, I use Urban Decay Up-All-Night setting spray.

I only got my Fluffy Gal Membership Card in the last year or so, so the only advice I can really give is: wear what makes you look and feel good.
Personally, I'd say no to wearing extra foundation garments at a theme park...but I'd say yes to wearing the same dress in a different color/pattern every day if I really liked how I looked and felt in that dress. :laughing: On the other hand, I have a fluffy acquaintance who could probably wear a Victorian-style corset all week without batting an eye. Different strokes for different folks!

My other silly-sounding bit of advice is: know your angles. I'm highly un-photogenic and very self-critical, but I stopped literally running & hiding from cameras when I figured out the poses/facial expressions that could make me feel okay about seeing myself in photos.

Lastly, a theme park is not the easiest place to "keep it cute" all day. Do whatever it takes to make yourself feel beautiful and confident, but please don't stress too much about serving the perfect look to the tourists of Orlando for 8 full hours.

I like Becca primer matte for my oily skin,works esp. in hot weather when I don't like how that looks in pics. That coupled with Bare Minerals matte (it's foundation powder) and I use sephora brand waterproof grey eye pencil- all those things stay put even in heat and sun for pics etc. Also use the little blotting papers you can get at any drugstore right before any planned pics- and swipe on a little lipcolor. ( Or find a lipstain that lasts that I like lol) takes 30 seconds but the pic lasts forever lol. I always wear dresses and skirts with a t-shirt for comfort in any weather. (add leggings in cold weather) I'm pretty unphotogenic anyway,so all this helps me like my pics a bit more.

I love tunics with a cute pair of shorts and sandals. The tunic hides any tummy and prevents the muffin top, plus some of them are long enough they're more like a short little sundress. We went last year in late August and they were perfect, not to tight, made from a cotton blend like a t-shirt, which let them breathe and dry quickly. Also they come in just about any color you could think of, I found them on Amazon and would buy different colors that reminded me of Disney characters, light blue for Cinderella, yellow for Belle, etc.. it was my lighter way of Disney Bounding. As for hair, I tossed it up and pinned into curls, I can't braid, but we're going again this August and I learned how to do a pull thru braid so I might try that, anyway it goes if you have long hair, find a cute easy up style. Onto make-up I really don't use it, but I also know what you mean about the pictures. I used my normal eyeliner, and then Lipsense because it's a lip stain and it really does stay on lips for the entire day, unless you eat something really greasy, but then I still only have to re-apply once. I was super happy with my pictures from last year, and can't wait for this August!

Keratin treatments are AMAZING! The only bad thing about them is that you will want them all the time lol

Teach me your ways! What type of hair do you have? How does it fare in humid weather?

I'm so hesitant to *make* an appointment because of the price and also Yelp, someone always has a bad review for some place! But I have to be brave and just go :laughing:

Teach me your ways! What type of hair do you have? How does it fare in humid weather?

I'm so hesitant to *make* an appointment because of the price and also Yelp, someone always has a bad review for some place! But I have to be brave and just go :laughing:

I have thick, waist length hair that is naturally wavy and gets oddly puffy in humidity lol. My hair is naturally dark brown but I have been getting all over blonde highlights since I was about 18, so I like how the keratin treatments make it a bit healthier. And not having to straighten it is definitely a plus! They last about 3 months for me :)

I honestly don't even look at Yelp because, like you said, there will always be someone who had a bad experience for whatever reason. I usually ask around. If you have someone who you trust to cut your hair, I would definitely ask them if there is someone who they recommend to do it!

My hair is a permanent disaster, but with a little bit of this and that -- and a whole lot of bobby pins -- I can at least keep it relatively under control.
To keep make-up in place, at home or at Disney, I use Urban Decay Up-All-Night setting spray.

I only got my Fluffy Gal Membership Card in the last year or so, so the only advice I can really give is: wear what makes you look and feel good.
Personally, I'd say no to wearing extra foundation garments at a theme park...but I'd say yes to wearing the same dress in a different color/pattern every day if I really liked how I looked and felt in that dress. :laughing: On the other hand, I have a fluffy acquaintance who could probably wear a Victorian-style corset all week without batting an eye. Different strokes for different folks!

My other silly-sounding bit of advice is: know your angles. I'm highly un-photogenic and very self-critical, but I stopped literally running & hiding from cameras when I figured out the poses/facial expressions that could make me feel okay about seeing myself in photos.

Lastly, a theme park is not the easiest place to "keep it cute" all day. Do whatever it takes to make yourself feel beautiful and confident, but please don't stress too much about serving the perfect look to the tourists of Orlando for 8 full hours.
I love this! Bobby pins and All-nighter go a long way on a park day! :)

Oh, thanks again EVERYONE who chimed in, you are all appreciated!!! Zambezi Zelda, I love your name, wittiness and really helpful advice, thank you!

Another vote for Bare Minerals! For me it adds just the enough coverage without "suffocating" my skin and it pretty much stays put. With dew points in the 70's in Orlando right now (and here at home for that matter! ), I am planning my strategy for our visit in 39 days. Maybelline Great Lash waterproof mascara is my other go-to (has been for many years). I am a very fair-skinned, freckled redhead, so lots and lots of SPF; I alternate between the lotion and the spray. I have very thick short hair, so I generally try to have it cut right before our trip because it tends to be very heavy and uncomfortable in that type of humidity. Shorts and tees are the way to go for me; I just generally favor shorts/skorts or a light fabric (gauzy) style pant when the weather cools off. Light colors are the best IMHO and I'm always grateful DVC units have washers/dryers because my white tees attract chocolate ice cream and red sauce like a laser beam!

Using a good primer and then a setting spray is crucial for me at Disney to keep my make-up on. For me, having a nice long-lasting lipstick and mascara can really brighten up my face. Throughout the day the only thing I might touch-up is the lipstick....that and wiping the sweat off my face with a tissue.

I've discovered that pulling my hair back is seriously the only way for me to go at WDW. I even pull my bangs back because they would just stick to my forehead in the humidity. And I have straight hair! Sometimes I'll wear a fun bow or Mickey Ears. They make me feel happy and so I look happy, too!

With pictures looking good really can just be about how you position yourself and smiling big. I have a habit of squinting and shutting my eyes during photos. When I'm at Disney I purposely open my eyes a little bit more than normal when taking a picture and it makes me look much less tired than I actually am, and I look a lot happier. If you are concerned, try some poses at home and practice your smile and head tilts in the mirror.

I totally get it. I'm not a diva but I do suffer from crappy self-esteem and hate it when I feel like I look bad in photos. I wish I wasn't that way but it is what it is.

For clothes, I cannot say enough good things about Jockey slip shorts/skimmies for under sundresses and skirts. They are breathable, cool and prevent friction. I am a huge fan of Old Navy compression capris. They are high waisted and fit a bit snug. It prevents the jiggle but does not feel like sausage casing. This is probably TMI, but I find a padded bra helps prevent sweat stains under the bust area on super hot days.

Makeup advice may seem complicated, but it's not that involved. Sunscreen, BB cream (Neutrogena skin enhancer), bare minerals foundation, waterproof mascara, and Maybelline Baby Lips in a bright color.

For hair, I scrunch in some anti-frizz cream and air dry. Then I put it up with spin pins--they are like bobby pins on steroids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter