Time shares

How do you get one and what are they for? Are they really worth it?

Very simple explanation, but A Time Share is buying a certain amount of time (points) at a property that has multiple owners. Those points are used to make reservations for your stay at that location. You can contact DVC, or Wyndham or whoever else sells, directly and set up an appointment. It usually takes a couple of hours so they will sometimes compensate you for your time by giving you Fast Passes to the parks.

As for are they worth it? Depends on if it fits your lifestyle and vacation style. Many people love it. We ultimately decided not to buy DVC because Disney has to earn our vacation dollars. We didn't want to be locked in to a mortgage and worry about annual dues or anything else. There is an entire forum on these boards dedicated to DVC if you really want details.

https://disboards.com/forums/disney-vacation-club-forums.200/

He have both DVC & Hyatt. Our Hyatt TS is at Carmel Highlands on the California Coast. It’s a beautiful property. We wouldn’t spend the $$$ for rooms there, but since we bought in when we had the money available, it’s so nice staying at a luxury property. We haven’t really taken advantage of the ability of staying at other Hyatt TSS. Except at Lake Tahoe. That said, we’d sell it before our DVC. We love staying on property & the perks it offers. We realize we like staying in luxury properties

Usually I'm against them, but with WDW I'd be willing to bend that rule... there's enough in Florida to keep me coming back time and time again!

I'd say they are only worth it for some people and circumstances. I have two pieces of advice:

1. Do very thorough and lengthy research. Like a lot.
2. Buy where you want to stay - never for trading opportunities to stay elsewhere - consider trading "gravy" or a bonus if it works out.

Oh and don't buy with the plan of reselling it someday. With a few exceptions and at worst you'd more likely have to pay someone to take it off your hands. Or at best, you'd lose a lot of money.

Oh and don't buy with the plan of reselling it someday. With a few exceptions and at worst you'd more likely have to pay someone to take it off your hands. Or at best, you'd lose a lot of money.

Unless you are selling dvc. I can sell all my dvc contracts right now at a considerable financial gain. That is unheard of in normal timeshare resales.

Time shares trade under the symbol TIME on the NYSE. The goal is to buy low & sell high, thus increasing one’s income. To buy, contact your financial advisor or open a self-managed account at a discount/online broker. The current price is $16.55.

Unless you are selling dvc. I can sell all my dvc contracts right now at a considerable financial gain. That is unheard of in normal timeshare resales.

Admittedly I haven't looked a the DVC resale market in a while. I think it depends on when you bought and at which resort and which use year. But yes there can be some profit maybe here and there with DVC. I think that's a major exception to the rule.

We own Marriott and DVC; our Marriott is in Las Vegas. It really all depends on your travel style as to whether or not it's worth it. For us, we have been able to take our kids to Hawaii, Spain, Sedona, Williamsburg, San Diego and more.

If you use it then they are worth it. For me, it has been very much "worth it". I own 2 timeshares. For two weeks banked in RCI, I usually get 4 weeks a year. This year we stayed in a one bedroom at Saratoga Springs in April and in August. Plus, we went to Sedona for a week. I still have enough points left for another week that I will roll into next year. Next year, We plan on going to Disney twice and then a week at Yosemite with another week somewhere undecided as of yet. Study and learn about them - Tug2.net is a great resource. Education is the key to being a wise timeshare owner.

Lookup the Timeshare Users Group online. They have a ton of information on Timeshares along with a very active Forum on all things Timeshare related.

I own Grand Californian, its amazing. But most time shares are about impossible to get rid of. Beware of fees, you are not staying for free

My mom owns dvc. She bought it back in 2009 and we’ve gotten good use. Only issue is we should have bought it sooner. She did resale. She could sell it today for an profit.

Okay, I thought DVC contracts required you to resell to them to DVC at no more than the price you paid? Or do you have an older contract without that clause?

We own a week in Hilton Head that we use one year in the spring to go to the beach and the next year we trade into Colorado to go skiing. We own DVC at the Wilderness Lodge and The Boardwalk where we go once or twice a year. Love all of our timeshare and they are way cheaper than our weekend lake house. We usually take one other vacation each year and pay cash. Yes, we like vacations.

Okay, I thought DVC contracts required you to resell to them to DVC at no more than the price you paid? Or do you have an older contract without that clause?

You sell DVC on the open market at any price you are willing to accept. Disney can take it instead of the buyer but they have to hold the terms the buyer agreed to. Our DVC are priceless to me, but I could sell and make money if I needed it.

DVC has right of first refusal when you sell the contract. Meaning, you agree on a price with your buyer, and DVC then has the right to purchase the contract themselves at that price, if they choose. There has never been any requirement to sell to DVC, and DVC has no power to dictate your sale price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter