Time Shares - Know anyone who found a way out?

We have had DVC at the BWV for many years with an expiration in 2042.
We enjoy it as a family (one of our DDs is there with friends at the moment) but we wonder what to do with the points when transatlantic travel becomes too burdensome and insurance gets expensive as we age.
We read somewhere that it was possible to give your points to your children but cannot find any more details.
Anyone heard of this?

ford family

We have had DVC at the BWV for many years with an expiration in 2042.
We enjoy it as a family (one of our DDs is there with friends at the moment) but we wonder what to do with the points when transatlantic travel becomes too burdensome and insurance gets expensive as we age.
We read somewhere that it was possible to give your points to your children but cannot find any more details.
Anyone heard of this?

ford family
@ford family: Please post your question on one of the DVC forums on this board. This thread is about general timeshare--NOT DVC--information, so you won't get an answer here.

On the DVC boards, there are many DVC experts who will be happy to answer your question.

Stop paying the maintenance fees and when they call, ask if they will accept a deed in lieu of foreclosure in exchange for a waiver of all past due maintenance fees

I have a friend who had 3. One they never used. The other 2 at the most they were used only 2 or 3 times.
Anyways the first com only took the upfront money and disappeared
The next did get rid of the them. My friend was so excited she said they would probably walk out of there with 3 to 4 thousand a piece
Oh sure this place got them out of the contracts. What they got in return was discounted vacations.
So instead of getting a check it was a lot of papers on how to use the discounted trips
Not exactly what they were hoping for

We also own DVC and love it. They seem to be more reliable then some of these other places
Good luck hope things go good for you

After sitting through a time share presentation in the 80s, I always had the opinion anyone who owned they was insane, but on a disney cruise we discovered how most at the table owned DVC so we bought in. It's been great. I also think the Marriott people have been fairly satisfied. But there are a lot of total stinkers out there, no question

Most of the legit timeshares are like Disney. They can be very expensive but if you learn how to play the game you can get great value out of them.

We sold our DVC membership around 2016 using a company that is well known for selling Disney timeshares. Listed and sold w/in a couple of weeks because it was a cash sale.

There is a website that is all about timeshares. Advice on buying, trading, giving them away/selling them, etc. Not sure if I am allowed to mention it here. Basically never pay anyone any fees to get rid of a timeshare. Most timeshares are given away free or a few dollars. Some are sold a bit more, some are deeded back and some walk away. Might take a hit on their credit score (depending on where one is from/where timeshare is from/age of owners/might not be a big concern).

I remember "back in the day", my parents would get all sorts of invites to their sales pitches. They NEVER went for it. From what I hear, that was a pretty wise decision. I do not think I would want one, especially after hearing all the horror stories.

While Disney seems to run a legit timeshare business, most others are run by con artists and the industry is poorly regulated. It appears what they do is sell the same unit 52x times over then move down the road and use those funds to finance building their next timeshare (somewhat like a house of cards). Instead of investing that money or putting it in some sort of escrow, when big ticket items need repair (i.e. roof/HVAC/etc.) that money is long gone. There is a reason others use different terms like 'vacation club' or 'fractional ownership' to try to distance themselves from the sleazy 'timeshare' operators mostly running a scam. The initial seller seems to be the only one who makes out from this scheme. Problem is you really don't know which ones are legit and which ones are not until it's too late.

Who knows if Disney one day decides that running a timeshare is no longer part of their 'core business' and sells off that operation to someone else? I would NEVER recommend a timeshare to anyone regardless of who is running it or what it is called. If you have money available, it is a much better option to invest it on your own and then use that money to pay for future vacations wherever you decide to go.

My parents used to own a non-Disney timeshare where the costs rose each year and the 'free' amenities originally offered were gone. Most of what the people peddling timeshares told them turned out to be lies. Once they got up in their years and could no longer travel, they were stuck paying the annual fees with no good way to dump it. There is virtually ZERO active resale market, no one wants to buy a 'used' timeshare and several other scam businesses have arisen trying to help you sell your unwanted unit. NEVER pay an upfront fee to anyone offering to help you peddle your unwanted timeshare. They simply pocket that money and then 2-3 months later tell you they couldn't find any buyers. They were finally able to dispose of theirs and that was the end of it.

(Intending to pass it along to relatives as an inheritance is also a bad idea since they will be stuck with ongoing fees on a worthless asset and have no better luck getting rid of it then you did.)

Last edited:
The only stories I know personally are people who cancelled the purchase within the initial 10-day window. It was pretty easy, just a letter to the timeshare office.

For people who have had it for years, the only good way I've seen is giving up the timeshare. You can't just stop paying or the timeshare company will send you to collections and possibly sue. You have to declare to them that you are abandoning it.

Years ago when I was probably around 24 I bought into a time share just to get out of the gestapo headquarters. Next day on the way home figured out how much this thing was likely to cost me, I was able to cancel with in the cancelation window thank goodness

I was encouraged (almost cajoled) into attending a few time share presentations with the promise of free theme park tickets or free hotels. But the reward isn’t worth the hard sell hassle to me.

A few thoughts:

A timeshare sales price has nothing to do with ongoing maintenance, upkeep, and renovation, just as the price you pay to buy a house has nothing to do with its ongoing maintenance, upkeep, and renovation. Those things are paid for out of annual "maintenance fees"---the owners collectively share in the costs to operate the resort as well as contributing to a fund to handle large expenses as they are expected to occur. For example, periodically updating the units via refurbishment, etc.

Most timeshares are (more or less) perpetual. While you own it, you continue to share in the costs of operation and upkeep. This is a contractual relationship. There are a few (and Disney is one) that have defined end dates, but in the US those are the exception rather than the rule.

The value in most timeshares is in using them. They are not investments. However, a good timeshare has a solid value proposition: Owning and using it will be less expensive than renting the same stays over some period of time. The longer you own it, the better the returned value.

Note that this can only happen if the cost to rent the unit on the open market exceeds the maintenance fees. If that's true, the timeshare has value. If that's not true, the timeshare is only a liability.

It is (relatively) easy to get rid of a timeshare that has value (as defined above). You just have to find the market of people who want to use it. One good place to find that market is the Timeshare User's Group, or TUG. (www.tug2.net, www.tugbbs.com). The sales price might be very low--as little as a few dollars--but if you've owned it long enough, you've already gotten good value out of the ownership, because you saved money vs. renting.

However, a timeshare that is a liability (again, as defined above) is very difficult to unload. It's not impossible, but the person who would take it off your hands would either be completely uninformed (and has no idea that renting the same unit is cheaper) or very very well informed (and realizes that this unit might provide arbitrage opportunities in the exchange markets.)

Most name-brand developers have programs by which they will take back timeshares that are no longer wanted. Sometimes owners use this because they don't want (or know how) to sell it themselves. Sometimes it is because the timeshare is a liability and it can't be sold. The costs for this service can range from "free" to some smallish multiple of the annual fees. These programs are not guaranteed, though, and in a tougher economic climate might no longer be offered.

Companies that promise to "get you out of your obligation"---and they are legion---are shams. They do not do anything you could not easily do yourself, but they charge a substantial up-front fee to do so. In the worst case, they do nothing other than tell you not to pay and have the management company foreclose.

Finally, it's worth noting that if someone bequeaths you a timeshare, you are not obligated to accept it, and you shouldn't unless you know what you are doing. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/inheriting-timeshares

---------
I own a number of timeshares, all of them bought on the secondary market, for something between "less than free" to a bit less than a dime on the dollar. The "less than free" ones included one year's worth of free usage. I bought my first one almost 20 years ago. They provided many excellent vacations for my family over the years. I definitely would have spent more renting than I did by owning. But owning also has its ups and downs, and I don't recommend it for most people.

However, if you are willing to put in a little elbow grease to learn the ins and outs, and you buy resale, you can get some really great vacations at a very affordable price.

Last edited:
But the reward isn’t worth the hard sell hassle to me

I agree. ANY product that someone tries to sell you using high pressures sales tactics should be an immediate red flag, make you ask "WHY"? and walk away. Quality, in demand and reasonably priced products NEVER have to resort to such tactics.

If the end value of a timeshare is -0-, then it was simply a pre-paid vacation expense. You would have been much better off investing those funds instead and not getting stuck with the hassle associated with trying to dispose of it.

I was never a fan of timeshares but if you go somewhere annually it has advantages. Primarily huge savings in taxes, parking, maid service, and "resort fees", also an inflation hedge. Just make sure it is somewhere you have been many times and will return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter