Time for some "Me" time

useakiss

Am I there yet?
I've only ever been to WDW as a child on family trips (1979 and 1986). I've always wanted to go back as an adult but life and luck just never seemed to work out and I always ended up using my PTO and money traveling home to see family rather than going on a real vacation. However, I've been promising myself a real trip somewhere this year. I'd even finally gotten around to renewing my Passport, so I was ready to go anywhere.

I was feeling pretty low over Christmas this year because it's the second anniversary of my Dad's death and I was missing him terribly. What helped lift my spirits a bit was watching the elaborately planned Disney vacation that a couple of friends were enjoying as it played out that week on my Facebook feed--they were doing the serious foodie tour, everything from crazy tropical drinks in exotic lounges to high tea at the Grand Floridian, from Boma and Flying Fish to the full multi-course experience at Victoria & Albert's! I lived vicariously through what they were doing, and it revived a lot of my fond memories of our family trips to the Magic Kingdom, and how much my Dad enjoyed it (one of the few times I ever saw him really relax and have fun). We didn't have to budget to do any of those high end things back then, with the exception of splurging at Le Cellier (my Mom STILL talks about how much they loved that place, particularly the salmon).

Right at the same time was when we all got the news of Carrie Fisher's heart attack and subsequent death. Being both a life-long Star Wars fan and a Han/Leia fanfic writer, this hit me very hard. Her age also struck me because I'm turning 50 this year. It really drove home the point that time is short, that unless I make it happen myself, I'll keep putting these vacations off until it's too late.

I put out a call to my friends to see if anyone wanted to join me in a trip to Disney World this year, but had little hope anyone would take me up on it--those who might have been interested either already had plans or just returned from trips, or couldn't afford it. Faced with going alone, I nearly let that defeat me because WDW always struck me as something you do with others. That's when many of those friends corrected me and said that they'd done solo trips and had a blast BECAUSE of that freedom.

I'm not adverse to doing things alone. I've always been very independent (too independent if you ask my Mom :)). Plus, I spent my last year of college living abroad in Germany and got very used to traveling around Europe on my own. In fact, I'd come to appreciate that same freedom of stopping anywhere and exploring something historic without worrying about whether a companion was having fun or arguing over what to do next. The only thing I didn't like was that being alone meant ending my evenings early for safety reasons.

So long story short, I've decided to do it--for myself, for my Dad. I'm going on a solo trip to Disney World! Not only that, but I'm going to do it properly,including staying at the PO-French Quarter (the Polynesian is on my Bucket List, but I have to be realistic), something we never did on those family trips. I'm doing the table service meals and the water parks, too! I'm planning a 9-day trip (7 solid days) where I can take my time, explore and enjoy the details, ride or skip what I want, and rest when I want. And because the Kingdom is about as safe as any place can be, I'll even enjoy the night life as an adult, something I couldn't do 30 years ago.
This trip is my present to myself for 50 years of life and love and loss. I'm going to treat myself and not feel guilty about it. :tink:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear you've struggled recently, but it sounds like this trip is just what you need! I love that you're going to just do it! And how fun to plan the things you really want to do instead of making sure everyone with you is satisfied and having a good time without thought of your own wishes? All the best to you and I hope it's a dream-trip!

Kudos to you! You've been through alot lately, and definitely deserve this trip. Also, the older I get the more I enjoy my time alone, so I'm sure that you'll have an amazing trip. I hope to go solo myself in the future. Have a great time!!!

You definitely deserve to enjoy yourself and you have earned a trip to WDW. Obviously I don't know you but I firmly believe that if people do things that make them happy they show it in all aspects of their lives. Have a great trip.

I used to do long-distance DLR trips alone. People will ask you to take their picture. People will ask you directions. Some people will see you're alone and "adopt" you to talk to you while waiting or dining. And it's pretty easy to strike up those conversations yourself, too. It's a funny thing, people have their guard down and are pretty willing to be social at WDW when they might not be back at home. Plus, the CMs are usually so happy to enagage with you, too. So it's hard to feel alone when you're doing WDW alone, as long as you're not standoffish towards others. Plus, you get to do whatever you want and not what anyone else wants to do, which is so freeing at Disney. Some of my best times have been on my own at WDW and DLR. I bet you have a really fulfilling trip!

I've only ever been to WDW as a child on family trips (1979 and 1986). I've always wanted to go back as an adult but life and luck just never seemed to work out and I always ended up using my PTO and money traveling home to see family rather than going on a real vacation. However, I've been promising myself a real trip somewhere this year. I'd even finally gotten around to renewing my Passport, so I was ready to go anywhere.

I was feeling pretty low over Christmas this year because it's the second anniversary of my Dad's death and I was missing him terribly. What helped lift my spirits a bit was watching the elaborately planned Disney vacation that a couple of friends were enjoying as it played out that week on my Facebook feed--they were doing the serious foodie tour, everything from crazy tropical drinks in exotic lounges to high tea at the Grand Floridian, from Boma and Flying Fish to the full multi-course experience at Victoria & Albert's! I lived vicariously through what they were doing, and it revived a lot of my fond memories of our family trips to the Magic Kingdom, and how much my Dad enjoyed it (one of the few times I ever saw him really relax and have fun). We didn't have to budget to do any of those high end things back then, with the exception of splurging at Le Cellier (my Mom STILL talks about how much they loved that place, particularly the salmon).

Right at the same time was when we all got the news of Carrie Fisher's heart attack and subsequent death. Being both a life-long Star Wars fan and a Han/Leia fanfic writer, this hit me very hard. Her age also struck me because I'm turning 50 this year. It really drove home the point that time is short, that unless I make it happen myself, I'll keep putting these vacations off until it's too late.

I put out a call to my friends to see if anyone wanted to join me in a trip to Disney World this year, but had little hope anyone would take me up on it--those who might have been interested either already had plans or just returned from trips, or couldn't afford it. Faced with going alone, I nearly let that defeat me because WDW always struck me as something you do with others. That's when many of those friends corrected me and said that they'd done solo trips and had a blast BECAUSE of that freedom.

I'm not adverse to doing things alone. I've always been very independent (too independent if you ask my Mom :)). Plus, I spent my last year of college living abroad in Germany and got very used to traveling around Europe on my own. In fact, I'd come to appreciate that same freedom of stopping anywhere and exploring something historic without worrying about whether a companion was having fun or arguing over what to do next. The only thing I didn't like was that being alone meant ending my evenings early for safety reasons.

So long story short, I've decided to do it--for myself, for my Dad. I'm going on a solo trip to Disney World! Not only that, but I'm going to do it properly,including staying at the PO-French Quarter (the Polynesian is on my Bucket List, but I have to be realistic), something we never did on those family trips. I'm doing the table service meals and the water parks, too! I'm planning a 9-day trip (7 solid days) where I can take my time, explore and enjoy the details, ride or skip what I want, and rest when I want. And because the Kingdom is about as safe as any place can be, I'll even enjoy the night life as an adult, something I couldn't do 30 years ago.
This trip is my present to myself for 50 years of life and love and loss. I'm going to treat myself and not feel guilty about it. :tink:

Sounds like you're taking a much needed "mental health" trip to WDW. That's what I used to call my yearly solo trips. My first one was a Mother's Day gift from my family, a "Mom's weekend". It was very therapeutic when I took it, and I hope it is for you too.

I think that's fantastic and you should definitely go for it. Going solo isn't as nerve wrecking as it seems. I quite loved it. Everything was at my pace and it was quieter. Also, kudos to your dad on that mustache!

That is awesome!! Have an awesome trip! I've gone solo several times now & it's always been a great time! :)

Good for you!!!! Disney is a great solo trip, only suggestion is to buy Disney pins off ebay and trade them with the cast members, it is a great conversation starter!

Good for you!!!! Disney is a great solo trip, only suggestion is to buy Disney pins off ebay and trade them with the cast members, it is a great conversation starter!

Great suggestion. I've found that CMs are especially nice to solos and often share tips with you that you might find interesting. I once asked a CM "So how did you get this job?" and he went on at great length about it. I've had CMs share with me that news crews were there "But don't tell any of the guests-we don't want anyone to notice!" I love chatting with CMs when I'm solo, and pin trading is a great idea for an ice-breaker.

Enjoy every minute! I did a solo trip last year for my 50th and loved it! In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I am doing it again this year. I hope you have a magical trip!

After all, it's the place where dreams come true!

One month and counting!!
Since my initial post, life has continued to throw everything in the way to prevent me from going on this trip. From the sudden and unexpected death of my uncle (the full-price flight home nearly set me back to zero on my vacation savings), unanticipated replacement of tires, etc. It seems no matter your best intentions to save money, something kept coming up to sap it away again. The remaining balance on my vacation package is due tomorrow and it's all going on a credit card after all, which I'm very displeased about, but I REFUSE to allow yet another vacation to be snatched away from me.
I did have to compromise a little by dropping the dining plan--I was a bit on the fence about it anyway since I feared it would be way more food than I needed, so it wasn't a tough decision. I've already canceled a couple of the signature restaurant reservations I'd booked, but am still keeping the best ones (California Grill @ 9:30 pm, Flying Fish, Tiffins, Be Our Guest, Narcoossee's, Kona Cafe for breakfast, and breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.
My agent did offer the suggestion of switching to a budget resort, but I chose not to compromise on that because half the reason for this trip was to treat myself. The idea of staying in a massive and crowded and loud hotel just set my teeth on edge. I'm willing to pay a little more for my resort to feel like an oasis from the parks.
I am a little bummed to learn that several of the attractions I was looking forward to will be closed while I'm there, ones I've never experienced (Splash Mountain and Mission: Space for repairs, The Great Movie Ride permanently). I also failed to score a Fast Pass for Fantasy of Flight, so I'll be racing for the line at rope drop.
Beyond that, though, I'm very happy with how things are falling together and look forward to the adventure. It's been so long since the last time I went there (or anywhere!) that it will in effect be all new to me anyway. :mickeyjum

Last edited:
You will have a wonderful time and it sounds like you deserve it! I have done Disney on a tight budget and still had a blast. I stayed at a Value resort, requested a top floor room and it was quiet enough. I live in a big city so used to some noise and found it quieter at Disney. I brought my own snacks from home, nicer ones than I usually eat so it was still special. A travel mug and Via Starbucks, I just got hot water in the food court on the way to the bus for my coffee to go. You could bring oatmeal and add hot water if you want a cheap breakfast. I mostly ordered kids meals at QS as they are cheaper and still plenty food, you can get free water in all the QS restaurants. If you don't like the taste bring some crystal light to add.
At the sit down restaurants I would just drink water and have an appetizer and dessert or just a main.
I was so happy to be in Disney and got to do so many things that sticking to my limited budget was no problem and didn't influence my enjoyment at all.

YAY YAY YAY FOR YOU!! :yay::yay::yay::banana::banana: It sounds like you will have the best YOU time ever. Enjoy and tell us all about it when you get back!

One month and counting!!
I am a little bummed to learn that several of the attractions I was looking forward to will be closed while I'm there, ones I've never experienced (Splash Mountain and Mission: Space for repairs, The Great Movie Ride permanently).

Mission: SPACE should be reopening before the month is out. It is supposed to be August 13th, and is newly redone with different missions for the Green and Orange sides. I hope that's a bright spot for you. Enjoy your trip!

no matter your best intentions to save money, something kept coming up to sap it away again

Doesn't it always?! That's life...I guess.:sad1:
I was wondering if you were still going, etc since I haven't seen you post here for awhile. You may save money not having the dinning plan. I use the caculator to see if it was worth it for me and it saved me $45-60 but that was only if I stuck to all the places I put in - not worth it to me. If it was 100 or more I would seriously consider it but I tend to eat less on vacation.
But.... Yay!! :simba: you are going!!!! I am sure you will but I wish you a fantastic trip. Please let us know how your trip is - everything and every minute is not too much. :goodvibes Some of us have to live thru other's vacations ......... for now :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter