Tieks! Your experience at WDW and thoughts on this trendy footwear

MKGR2006

Earning My Ears
My husband and I were just married in September and are INCREDIBLY excited about our honeymoon trip to Walt Disney World :lovestruc. As one might expect, I've been splurging a little for this two-week trip because we want to make it extra special. As I was searching online for this year's Disney trip trends, I saw a handful of blogs about the ballet flat shoe, Tieks. I found that this shoe started trending thanks to Oprah and now it appears that many recommend them as shoes to wear in the parks. If you haven't researched them yet, you'll discover they're pretty pricey. I went ahead and splurged on a bronze metallic pair that look lovely but I'm worried about their durability for our journey around the world.

Any DISers out there have experience with Tieks? What are your thoughts for them as all-day footwear in the parks?

I have Tieks and I love them! I have been wearing them for maybe 3 years now and typically wear mine at least 4 to 5 times a week. I wear mine to work and have taken them on vacation as well. I haven't been back to Disney in quite a few years, but I would love to go back soon! I have worn them for several other walking tours while on vacation with my family and have zero complaints. They have been great for me and mine have held up really well. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

KristenB17 - which Tieks do you own and which ones are your favorite?
I have Mustard yellow and cardinal red from the classic line and pop pink in patent. I have been wearing my mustard yellow quite a bit over the Summer - they are so pretty and are actually pretty neutral in my wardrobe. With Fall coming I'm sure my Cardinal Reds will be getting their fair share of wear as well, but this was the summer of mustard yellow for me.

what is the deal with these shoes? they appear to be simple flats..... do they have an incredibly comfortable feel or something? Like you're wearing full on birkenstocks but they look cute?:rotfl2: if so I want some! I wear birkenstocks for the footbed but I like the look of ballet flats (which are never comfortable)

My husband and I were just married in September and are INCREDIBLY excited about our honeymoon trip to Walt Disney World :lovestruc. As one might expect, I've been splurging a little for this two-week trip because we want to make it extra special. As I was searching online for this year's Disney trip trends, I saw a handful of blogs about the ballet flat shoe, Tieks. I found that this shoe started trending thanks to Oprah and now it appears that many recommend them as shoes to wear in the parks. If you haven't researched them yet, you'll discover they're pretty pricey. I went ahead and splurged on a bronze metallic pair that look lovely but I'm worried about their durability for our journey around the world.

Any DISers out there have experience with Tieks? What are your thoughts for them as all-day footwear in the parks?
Ok a few warnings about Tieks. I LOVE them. Sooooo adorable. BUT, they are notorious, especially in the beginning, for cutting hard into the area of your big toe joint. I have wider feet so I can only wear them a few hours at a time because of this. And this is after wearing them for months on end everyday to stretch them out.

The soles will hold up no problem.

The first time you catch the tip of the shoe on pavement, you will have scuff/tear marks in the toe area. I almost threw up after paying so much for them. Just fyi.

IMO, if you want to look cute in your pics, just bring them with you and put them on while you are getting your pics taken. Switch them out with flip flops or something so its quick and easy.

what is the deal with these shoes? they appear to be simple flats..... do they have an incredibly comfortable feel or something? Like you're wearing full on birkenstocks but they look cute?:rotfl2: if so I want some! I wear birkenstocks for the footbed but I like the look of ballet flats (which are never comfortable)

They are well-made leather ballet flats but not more supportive than any other shoe of a similar style. I have a pair and appreciate popping them on after a tough day in heels (plus they fold up, which is great for travel), but I would not wear them for a full day of walking. YMMV, of course.

I have two pairs of the matte leather Tieks and love them. I've worn them almost exclusively for years. They hold up very well -- I use some conditioning oil from Kiwi every few weeks and that makes the scuffs disappear. I ruined one pair by wearing them in sand -- the sand worked under the pads on the soles and loosened them. I do find that I have to break them in over a period of weeks to reach maximum comfort.

At Disney, I wore Tieks for a couple of park days. They're good for walking but don't really have enough padding/support to help with lots of standing in line. More often, I wore my Skechers Gowalk at the park in the day and then switched to my Tieks after our mid-afternoon break. I find that switching between well-broken-in shoes frequently makes a big difference in terms of my overall comfort.

They are well-made leather ballet flats but not more supportive than any other shoe of a similar style. I have a pair and appreciate popping them on after a tough day in heels (plus they fold up, which is great for travel), but I would not wear them for a full day of walking. YMMV, of course.
AHhh thanks for the details!

I own them, wear them almost every day to work, wouldn't be caught dead in them at Disney. My tennis shoes are sooo much more comfortable for that much walking.

So I've been wearing my Tieks around for errands the past couple of weekends to "test them out" for our Disney trip and I've concluded a few things.
  1. They are so super cute on and very stylish! I chose metallic bronze and it really goes well with anything.
  2. Wearing Tieks barefoot is not the best idea, at least for me. I found my feet start to get sweaty pretty quickly (nothing horrible, I could just tell there wasn't a lot of ventilation) so I've found it beneficial to wear those really short skin tone socks with them.
  3. Overall the shoe is very comfortable and did not take any time for me to "break in."
  4. Lastly, it may just be me, but I've unfortunately found that Tieks do not provide me enough heel support. :( If I'm going to wear them in the parks all day, I think I would need some kind of heel insert.
Any recommendations on heel inserts for leather ballet flats?? I don't want to purchase anything that will ruin the leather.

Also, has anyone found that Kiwi water resistant cream or other product beneficial from keeping your Tieks immune to rain damage?

I don't own any, but my daughter-in-law wears them to the parks all the time with no problems. She loves them.

I bought some for me to wear while I am photographing weddings, which keeps me on my feet for 8-10 hours at a time. They needed a break in period but now they are fantastic. I am still trying to determine if they are $175 fantastic, but if they last me YEARS, then I will vote yes. I am bringing them on my WDW trip and I don't think I will have an issue wearing them full day at a park considering I'm used to that anyway photographing weddings, haha.

I have two pairs of Tieks and love them. I specifically bought my first pair for walking around Europe, and walked about 90 miles in them. They did a MUCH better job than any other pair of flats. If you want a cute flat that will hold up well and not kill your feet, that's your shoe.

However, my Nikes are my go to at Disney. I give up some cute for comfort. Tieks are fantastic, but at some point you have to go to a sneaker.

I love Tieks and wear mine allllll the time at work, but personally I wouldn't wear them to Disney. I wear Birkenstocks to Disney and they are always great! Sometimes I wear Keens too. I know neither is anywhere as cute as the Tieks but at the parks I just want to be comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!