Thoughts on Coronado

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

BH5 here.

So because we are planning a land and sea and would be sailing the wish (my first cruise ever will most likely be on the wish OMG-sadly not everyone else’s first cruise so I will be SPOILED) and therefore spending less days at the park we might end up doing a moderate to save money (even tho we are still looking into a couple of cheaper deluxe and DVC villas thanks to Wilderness Lodge) and when we stay at a moderate we usually stay POR.

Now don’t get me wrong we LOVE Riverside. It’s among our recommendations for first timers and those running the marathons. HOWEVER, it’s closest in proximity to Disney Springs and takes a LONG time to get there especially from MK and AK. (This is also why we didn’t look into OKW and SSR).

When looking at resorts, I discovered Coronado was close to Epcot, DHA and AK and not horribly far from MK and for Homecomin we will make sure we travel to DS in time (see what we do for you art smith?!?!?!). However we do have some concerns.

Based off the app map, it’s not as spread out as POR/FQ and CBR, and the tower is not as much a price difference. Our concern is we don’t know if we would rent a scooter for my mom prior, and unfortunately as of right now I’m going through some tests and might need to be put on DAS (getting older sucks). Plus no one is a spring chicken anymore (not even me-I swear I woke up the day I turned my tick tick boom year and BAM instant pain everywhere lol). However, we have a friend who stayed there recently and I’m asking her questions but I want to know from my fellow dossiers if Coronado is worth it and if it is feasible/is it big with multiple bus stations/ where is the tower to all this etc

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:
Are there preferred rooms? Like in POR there is the one alligator bayou by the riverside mill food court? Because if we can guarantee the cabanas section that would be better!

Thanks all!

BH5

Last edited:
I've stayed at Coronado twice in the last 4 months, once in the Tower and once in Casitas.

Loved Gran Destino, and it was a short walk down some stairs to Bus Stop 1. That being said, for some reason Bus Stop 1 is the last stop at Coronado before they head to the various parks, so if you're traveling during really busy times the bus can be almost full, just to give you warning. We rarely had any issues, but we rope dropped every day and rarely came back to the resort until park closing.

Stayed at Casitas 3 last month, again, loved it, but it was a PITA to get to a bus stop, we had to walk through a parking lot to get to the closest stop; maybe a 5 minute or so walk, but it was like a maze trying to get to it. Part of the problem is that Coronado is such a large resort, there doesn't seem to be any direct way to get to anything, LOL! That being said, it had been a while since I stayed here, and I'd forgotten what a beautiful resort it is, and even not being in the tower, we found service to be top notch. If I stay at a Moderate again, it'll probably be CSR again, I think it's a step above the other Mods.

Thank you so much for your informed review @rangerxenos I do appreciate it.

Honestly the tower is not horribly more expensive (and given it’s bus stop one that’s reminiscent of POR).

While we don’t really care where we stay, we realized in 2019 that the spread out way the moderates are designed is insane. Especially for our battered and older bones lol.

But I do appreciate this thank you

Thank you so much for your informed review @rangerxenos I do appreciate it.

Honestly the tower is not horribly more expensive (and given it’s bus stop one that’s reminiscent of POR).

While we don’t really care where we stay, we realized in 2019 that the spread out way the moderates are designed is insane. Especially for our battered and older bones lol.

But I do appreciate this thank you

The only reason we didn't stay in the Tower again in February was because the dates weren't available for our trip; I prefer interior corridors if given the choice, sadly I've gotten spoiled staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge my last few trips!

You're right, the price difference to stay in the Tower really is negligible unless you're talking about Club Level.
I will say that I'd like to try Port Orleans French Quarter at some point, because it's a smaller Moderate with only one bus stop!

The only reason we didn't stay in the Tower again in February was because the dates weren't available for our trip; I prefer interior corridors if given the choice, sadly I've gotten spoiled staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge my last few trips!

You're right, the price difference to stay in the Tower really is negligible unless you're talking about Club Level.
I will say that I'd like to try Port Orleans French Quarter at some point, because it's a smaller Moderate with only one bus stop!
We were spoiled with Boardwalk villas during 2021 because of when we booked! Plus we love Epcot so anything close to Epcot!

Do you know if preferred rooms are a thing?

And French quarter is awesome and I recommend hopping over to Riverside even to experience River roost lounge! Also the bike rides are so much fun!

CSR is my favorite moderate, I've never stayed in the tower and still love it. I've stayed in both Casitas and Cabanas section, neither one did I stay in preferred. I'm cheap. I'm not young (mid 60s) and I didn't find the walk anywhere at the resort as too long. I was in Casitas 5 the last time I was there, the bus stop is at Casitas 4 so it was just a short walk across the parking lot to get to it. I believe there are preferred in both Casitas and Cabanas. The reason I don't stay in the tower is because 80% of the time, I can find a room at Swan/Dolphin for the same price or close to it and prefer to be able to walk to two parks.

We’ve stayed at CSR 5 times. It’s my whole family’s go to mod. We typically just book a standard room - once it was casitas, the other times, Ranchos. With the addition of the bridges, the walking from the back of the resort is so much improved. That said, I would suggest tower or preferred if you want to be closer to the central amenities. casitas 1-3 are preferred. Cabanas also is close to a lot of amenities, but you can’t guarantee getting a room there. Do note that the last stop to be picked up for the parks is the tower. Casitas has the first stop. The numbering is weird.

Do you know if preferred rooms are a thing?
Preferred rooms are definitely a thing.

I like the Preferred rooms, Casitas Bldgs 1, 2 & 3, because they are close to El Centro, there is a covered walkway all the way to El Centro. Preferred is also close to Bus Stop #2, which is the first pick up going to the parks. I also like being close to a quiet pool for my afternoon swims. There's a close pool where you aren't walking through a hotel lobby.

I've stayed standard, preferred and Tower and for me the edge goes to preferred.

The only thing that might change that is if the Tower had balconies.

CSR is my favorite moderate, I've never stayed in the tower and still love it. I've stayed in both Casitas and Cabanas section, neither one did I stay in preferred. I'm cheap. I'm not young (mid 60s) and I didn't find the walk anywhere at the resort as too long. I was in Casitas 5 the last time I was there, the bus stop is at Casitas 4 so it was just a short walk across the parking lot to get to it. I believe there are preferred in both Casitas and Cabanas. The reason I don't stay in the tower is because 80% of the time, I can find a room at Swan/Dolphin for the same price or close to it and prefer to be able to walk to two parks.
This is good to know! Unfortunately we have a scooter user and my not so spring chicken but still helluva lot younger than everyone else is undergoing tests for various other things (getting older sucks lol) so walking might not be best but I do appreciate your knowledge!

I said this on another post but we are having such a hard time with Swolphin and finding rooms! Like every site is giving us issue. When my mom calls tonight she’s going to ask first about them!

We’ve stayed at CSR 5 times. It’s my whole family’s go to mod. We typically just book a standard room - once it was casitas, the other times, Ranchos. With the addition of the bridges, the walking from the back of the resort is so much improved. That said, I would suggest tower or preferred if you want to be closer to the central amenities. casitas 1-3 are preferred. Cabanas also is close to a lot of amenities, but you can’t guarantee getting a room there. Do note that the last stop to be picked up for the parks is the tower. Casitas has the first stop. The numbering is weird.
I forgot to say thank you when I replied to you earlier! I do appreciate the knowledge and input!

Last edited:

I like the Preferred rooms, Casitas Bldgs 1, 2 & 3, because they are close to El Centro, there is a covered walkway all the way to El Centro. Preferred is also close to Bus Stop #2, which is the first pick up going to the parks. I also like being close to a quiet pool for my afternoon swims. There's a close pool where you aren't walking through a hotel lobby.

I've stayed standard, preferred and Tower and for me the edge goes to preferred.

This is excelent to know. I’ve been texting my mom stating casitas preferred lolololol! Thank you!

Yes, they missed the boat by not putting balconies at Gran Destino, it would have been wonderful.

Well thanks to all you humans and others we know

WE ARE OFFICIALLY STAYING AT GRAN DESTINO TOWER THIS FALL!

I’ll be sure to come back here for my pre that will eventually turn into a regular trip report once I start it (tho that won’t be for a few weeks as I’m onstage again for the first time in a full blown show and not just Cabrera here and there in a couple of weeks and I am excited but nervous and needing sleep lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter