Those Little Metal Extenders!

Simba22

DIS Veteran
These little things drive me absolutely insane. Does anyone else have trouble getting them to connect?? I'll be able to link like 2 or 3 together and then they stop fitting. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for these? I've tried using pliars to force them, I've tried putting a drop of oil on them...nothing. I've pulled my entire book apart and rearranged all of the individual pieces to see if putting them in a different order would help, but it didn't. This is literally driving me insane!

027FD987-713E-4814-A9E8-29CFA09EF402_zps6covyetq.jpg

I also had so much trouble with them that I got so fed up I switched all my albums but a few smaller ones to 12x12 3-ring binders. Numerous people dislike the 3 ring binders but I absolutely love them..

I usually just give up and don't go beyond 2 or 3 of them. It means I have more albums but spend a lot less time fighting with extenders.

I also had so much trouble with them that I got so fed up I switched all my albums but a few smaller ones to 12x12 3-ring binders. Numerous people dislike the 3 ring binders but I absolutely love them..

I usually just give up and don't go beyond 2 or 3 of them. It means I have more albums but spend a lot less time fighting with extenders.

OMG I really thought it was just me! I seem to have pretty good luck if they are all the same brand, but once I start trying to mix and match them, forget it. I basically got it so that I could fit another 50 pages into the album (so 100 front and back) and that's my limit lol So now I just have to be selective about what pictures I use! Which is probably better because I usually use too many, I think. Especially when it comes to Disney scrapbooks lol

Thanks, ladies!
:sunny:

Oh my! Too many photos.. YUP that's me....
My Disney vacation albums are 4-5 each trip! I just can't pick a limited number... lol

The kids' life albums/sports/school albums are just as bad.. the only thing I'm good at limiting the number of photos at is their 4-H pages! lol

I have had lots of trouble. I think the brands have to match. The ones that come in the albums are usually one brand and then the ones that are sold separate are different.

I have had lots of trouble. I think the brands have to match. The ones that come in the albums are usually one brand and then the ones that are sold separate are different.

I, too, think this is the case. Have had this trouble in the past and hate it! End up buying new ones to put an album together and messing with the misfitting pieces later!

Yup. Same problem. Matching same brands does help!

I'm late to the party but I found some at the hardware store. Much easier to use because they are longer and they are a lot cheaper too.

At a hardware store?? Please tell me more about them - brand, size, etc. and store you found them in!?

I think it was Lowes or Home Depot, they were in the specialty section. No idea what brand they were though. It was a while ago so I'm not sure about cost. I have to head up that way tomorrow so I will go look when I'm out to get measurements.

I agree - I think it's definitely an issue between brands! Thank you all for confirming that I am not just insane! I end up sitting there for an hour trying to match them up and then get frustrated and quit working on it. @BernardandMissBianca thank you for that info! I will have to check the home improvement stores next time I'm near one!

I agree - I think it's definitely an issue between brands! Thank you all for confirming that I am not just insane! I end up sitting there for an hour trying to match them up and then get frustrated and quit working on it. @BernardandMissBianca thank you for that info! I will have to check the home improvement stores next time I'm near one!

Sorry totally flaked on looking for these at the hardware store! We all came down with the flu and then sports started to ramp up so I have had zero peace to do anything.

I found them at Lowe's! They are in the screw, bolt, nut section (where the parts are in tiny bins or in drawers). They were in a drawer marked "specialty" and "binding post screws/bolts". Here is the specific information from the Lowe's website!

Hillman #8 x 2-in Flat-Head Aluminum Standard Phillips-Drive Interior/Exterior Standard (SAE) Binding Post Screw

$1.08

There are several sizes and have both the two bolted pieces and the extension pieces.

Thank you! I too have had so much trouble getting them to work together. I have a small bag of extenders that won't work with any end pins but I don't want to get rid of them in case they match the next scrapbook I buy.

I changed my albums to screw posts long ago - no more extenders. You can buy the screw posts in lengths from half an inch up to three inches. Once you've tried them, you won't go back!

I found them at Lowe's! They are in the screw, bolt, nut section (where the parts are in tiny bins or in drawers). They were in a drawer marked "specialty" and "binding post screws/bolts". Here is the specific information from the Lowe's website!

Hillman #8 x 2-in Flat-Head Aluminum Standard Phillips-Drive Interior/Exterior Standard (SAE) Binding Post Screw

$1.08

There are several sizes and have both the two bolted pieces and the extension pieces.

Thank you so much for posting this info. I dragged DH to the store with me and there were so many Hillman items on display (one side of an entire aisle). If the Hillman vendor hadn't been there that day I never would have found them. He was so helpful and mentioned that these extenders have many uses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!