This week's episode had me question the CM room access

I really don't know how you can assume that a daily room check would do nothing. Someone planning such an attack may avoid the place because they know about the policy and don't want to deal with it.

Or they take it as a challenge and choose that place because of it.

Maybe they don't answer the door or they act strange even if their weapons are hidden which triggers an additional security check. Most criminals are not usually the intelligent people represented in TV and movies.

This is not to say this policy will prevent every type of attack from happening, but it may prevent one, and that's probably worth it.

The housekeeping staff is nice and all but if any of them are skilled enough to recognize the subtle behaviors that may indicate a possible murderer/terrorist is in the room I suspect they would have followed a different path in life. That is work for trained professionals, not a member of the cleaning crew. Personally I think however many attacks there are destined to be at WDW, and I am hoping for 0 of course, won't be altered one bit by this policy. It's useless but it checks a box that people think needs checked. YMMV.

Or they take it as a challenge and choose that place because of it.

The housekeeping staff is nice and all but if any of them are skilled enough to recognize the subtle behaviors that may indicate a possible murderer/terrorist is in the room I suspect they would have followed a different path in life. That is work for trained professionals, not a member of the cleaning crew. Personally I think however many attacks there are destined to be at WDW, and I am hoping for 0 of course, won't be altered one bit by this policy. It's useless but it checks a box that people think needs checked. YMMV.
You are assuming a lot to fit with your conclusion that this will never work. Sure someone could take it as a challenge, but others may want the least resistance to carry out the attack, the far more likely scenario.

I clearly was not saying housekeeping should be acting as psychologists. But if they are dealing with a situation where they can't get into a room, it's barricaded or the person refuses to let them in, they would at least let someone else know about it.

Once again, would this prevent every single attack? No. Could it prevent a single attack? Yeah.

We, the royal we, are always trying to stop the last attack instead of the next attack.
So very true. I made the point earlier about removing our shoes at the airport. Tens of millions of people have to do that each year all because one guy in 2001 tried to light a fuse in his shoe (which didn't work).

And since 2011, children 12 and under no longer need to remove their shoes, so if a potential shoe bomber is out there, he just needs to hide the bomb in his kids' shoes instead of his own. So are we really any safer as a result of this policy?

So very true. I made the point earlier about removing our shoes at the airport. Tens of millions of people have to do that each year all because one guy in 2001 tried to light a fuse in his shoe (which didn't work).

And since 2011, children 12 and under no longer need to remove their shoes, so if a potential shoe bomber is out there, he just needs to hide the bomb in his kids' shoes instead of his own. So are we really any safer as a result of this policy?
Hard to say but it possibly prevented people with better talent in the making of shoe bombs from doing so. We will never know though will we.

since 2011, children 12 and under no longer need to remove their shoes, so if a potential shoe bomber is out there, he just needs to hide the bomb in his kids' shoes instead of his own. So are we really any safer as a result of this policy?

Hard to say but it possibly prevented people with better talent in the making of shoe bombs from doing so.
My "are we really any safer" comment was aimed more at the fact that not all passengers have to undergo the same screening. So there's now a gaping hole in the security process.

Bringing the conversation back to Disney, this new policy is based on the fact that one person in Vegas brought a bunch of guns into his room. However, numerous people have actually been caught attempting to bring guns into Disney parks. Despite that fact, they still don't put every guest through a metal detector. Seems to me the potential yield of doing that would be far greater than the daily room visits. I have absolutely no doubt that a lot of guns are getting past Disney security because of this inconsistent screening policy. On other sites, posters have openly admitted to bringing weapons in. That scares me a hell of a lot more than the pretty remote possibility of a Vegas-style attack.

And since 2011, children 12 and under no longer need to remove their shoes, so if a potential shoe bomber is out there, he just needs to hide the bomb in his kids' shoes instead of his own. So are we really any safer as a result of this policy?[/QUOTE]

Nah, Just tell the person you are 12 years old. I bet some people could pass. I take kids sized shoes and with hair in a pony tail I could probably get away with looking 12.

People are commenting that guest are not finding out about this policy until they check in at the front desk or something is left in your room explaining it. So how will the people planning to do bad things going to know that is going to happen before they plan their attack? I wonder how many people know about this new policy?

Nah, Just tell the person you are 12 years old. I bet some people could pass. I take kids sized shoes and with hair in a pony tail I could probably get away with looking 12.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just TSA preCheck.....

I always thought that about the less restrictions on kids and often for people over 65 too ... like a terroritst would be above using a kid or an older person to get accomplished what they wanted to do

Nah, Just tell the person you are 12 years old. I bet some people could pass. I take kids sized shoes and with hair in a pony tail I could probably get away with looking 12.

Or you could just TSA preCheck.....[/QUOTE]

Maybe they could come up with MickeypreCheck - where if you go often you could get a card (after background check) saying you don't need the daily security checks and don't have to go through security at the gates ... but if you are ever found to have something you are banned from the parks for life

Maybe they could come up with MickeypreCheck - where if you go often you could get a card (after background check) saying you don't need the daily security checks and don't have to go through security at the gates ... but if you are ever found to have something you are banned from the parks for life

Or maybe link it to the MB with the fingerprint qualification.

Very, very presumptuous. Perhaps I worked with our warfighters on strategic threats (imminent and quasi), but I'm not going to share online. BTW, how do you know my background on DoD security measures that may translate to public defense?
Oh my

Last edited:
Or maybe link it to the MB with the fingerprint qualification.

I thought about that - but the security it before you would scan your MB to get into the park - unless they move the scanners up and then direct you to a "standby" (with bag check/metal detectors) line vs a "Fastpass" (no bag check/metal detector) line to get into the park

Maybe they could come up with MickeypreCheck
That should be part of the AP program. I'd happily do (and pay a reasonable fee for) a background check so that we could skip the security lines.

Although to be fair to Disney, when we visited last week, it was the first time we had been there since they switched to doing security checks at various locations. That has definitely helped a lot. The parks were packed due to marathon week and we never had more than about 3 in front of us at a bag check. A few times, we walked right up to a guard with no wait at all. Whoever came up with the idea to spread the screenings out should get a bonus.

That should be part of the AP program. I'd happily do (and pay a reasonable fee for) a background check so that we could skip the security lines.

Although to be fair to Disney, when we visited last week, it was the first time we had been there since they switched to doing security checks at various locations. That has definitely helped a lot. The parks were packed due to marathon week and we never had more than about 3 in front of us at a bag check. A few times, we walked right up to a guard with no wait at all. Whoever came up with the idea to spread the screenings out should get a bonus.

I know at least at times they have the AP only line for getting into the park/scanning your MB/ticket - but they should really have an AP line for security as well as (most likely) they are also the most efficient as getting through security

Personally I just wish they had a better system for dealing with who goes through the metal detectors and how you handle families and strollers - as I am still annoyed about the one time the security guard told my wife and I to "just leave you kids there" and both go through the metal detector about 15 feet away

I know at least at times they have the AP only line for getting into the park/scanning your MB/ticket - but they should really have an AP line for security as well as (most likely) they are also the most efficient as getting through security
I'm always surprised by how many people in the AP line don't seem to know how to use the scanners. We got stuck a couple of times behind parties that needed to be walked through the process. Come on. You have an annual pass. Surely you have done this before.

Personally I just wish they had a better system for dealing with who goes through the metal detectors and how you handle families and strollers - as I am still annoyed about the one time the security guard told my wife and I to "just leave you kids there" and both go through the metal detector about 15 feet away
They told you to leave the kids unattended? Wow.

My "are we really any safer" comment was aimed more at the fact that not all passengers have to undergo the same screening. So there's now a gaping hole in the security process.

And it isn't just that different passengers are treated differently, the same passenger is treated differently depending on the airport. I had to fly to three places in two weeks last year for work. That is a total of 6 flights out and back. I had to take my shoes off for 4 of them and not 2 of them and from the same airport I had to remove them one time and not another. Some of the time, but not all, I had to remove my laptop from the bag. It is very inconsistent.

I'm always surprised by how many people in the AP line don't seem to know how to use the scanners. We got stuck a couple of times behind parties that needed to be walked through the process. Come on. You have an annual pass. Surely you have done this before.

They told you to leave the kids unattended? Wow.

yup - we flat our refused and had to go in two shifts. First I went while my wife stayed with the kids, then I watched them while she went through the metal detectors. Only happened once (generally they just ask one of us to go through) but still annoyed by it

And it isn't just that different passengers are treated differently, the same passenger is treated differently depending on the airport. I had to fly to three places in two weeks last year for work. That is a total of 6 flights out and back. I had to take my shoes off for 4 of them and not 2 of them and from the same airport I had to remove them one time and not another. Some of the time, but not all, I had to remove my laptop from the bag. It is very inconsistent.
I understand that there is some benefit to a degree of randomness to screenings because it's harder to circumvent a system that isn't always exactly the same.

However, this is part of what slows down security lines. When the traveling public never knows what to expect, they can't efficiently be prepared.

I’d just like to point out that it wasn’t just due to marathon weekend. Due to how the holidays fell lots of schools were still out for that week which caused an increase in crowds. Yes marathon weekend add to that but I feel many think marathon weekend is the sole reason for the crowds when it is not. I have done marathon weekend four years in a row and this was probably the most crowded I have ever seen it at least on Thursday and Friday.

Yeah....we've been bottle-necked in the AP line for that exact reason.

Last week the AP line (MK) was backed up much more so than some of the non-AP lines (so we moved out of the AP line). Is there only one AP line per park during peak/all times? If so, then maybe they should consider adding another. It certainly does make me think of how they can streamline an AP/secure entrance back to your point about paying additionally for a background check (I'm thinking something akin to ClearPass or TSA-pre).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!