Thinking about staying behind at Schönbrunn Palace (Danube River cruise)

Yes - I had Hofburg Palace on my mind. lol We walked to it from the Ritz Carlton. How I love Vienna!!

We freaked our local guide out because we told him we were taking the U-bahn back to the hotel after the farewell dinner instead of the group bus. He thought we were nuts because it was 9:00pm on a Friday night in a "big" city. He didn't understand when I tried to explain to him that I come from a bigger city than Vienna and that we'd be fine. I'm used to travelling on an underground at 1:00am on a Friday night in a city that is at least 5x the size of Vienna. We never bothered to tell him that we only took the U-bahn half way back to the hotel. We actually took it as far as the Hofburg and walked the rest of the way back.

Chiming in to further support your decision to stay behind. Besides the palace itself, which is incredible and worth way more than 2 hours, the gardens are beautiful! And the zoo has PANDAS!!! We did Salzburg and Vienna on our own after our Germany ABD and had no problems taking public transportation to the palace. I know it's not the same as getting back to your ship, but I'm mentioning it to emphasize how easy it was and we are not from a city where we're used to public transport. There were also tons of cabs available. Enjoy!!!

Laurie

Thank you again for all of these wonderful comments. I am loving them! Is there any way I could make the boat stay in Vienna for a week?

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help. The day could not have gone any better. I was actually ok with the length of the official tour. It was so crowded inside we had to waddle around like penguins in some parts and the "no pictures" rule was really irritating me. After the Disney portion was over we were able to go back to the gardens and have a very leisurely walk around. Such a relaxing and lovely place! While at the zoo (hi pandas!) we had an unexpectedly great meal at an outdoor cafe. We then went to the Belvedere, which we loved. Even though both of our Uber riders spoke limited English it was still very easy for us to get where we wanted to go.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help. The day could not have gone any better. I was actually ok with the length of the official tour. It was so crowded inside we had to waddle around like penguins in some parts and the "no pictures" rule was really irritating me. After the Disney portion was over we were able to go back to the gardens and have a very leisurely walk around. Such a relaxing and lovely place! While at the zoo (hi pandas!) we had an unexpectedly great meal at an outdoor cafe. We then went to the Belvedere, which we loved. Even though both of our Uber riders spoke limited English it was still very easy for us to get where we wanted to go.

Were you on the July 12th Danube River Cruise? If so I was on that cruise!!! I did not mind the length of the tour of the palace. I enjoyed what we saw. The gardens were magnificent!! Would love to get back to Vienna for a longer stay in the city. I enjoyed the whole cruise....it was awesome!

MJ

Were you on the July 12th Danube River Cruise? If so I was on that cruise!!! I did not mind the length of the tour of the palace. I enjoyed what we saw. The gardens were magnificent!! Would love to get back to Vienna for a longer stay in the city. I enjoyed the whole cruise....it was awesome!

MJ

We were on a different one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!