Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

Enjoy Spring Break!
I'm sure you know this, but spring break crowds at Disney can be tough ... so make sure you pack your patience. Have an awesome time - I can't wait to read all about the trip!

Enjoy Spring Break!
I'm sure you know this, but spring break crowds at Disney can be tough ... so make sure you pack your patience. Have an awesome time - I can't wait to read all about the trip!
Yeah I’m expecting big crowds. I’m sure I’ll still have a good time though. Thanks! Congrats on that half today!

Another very familiar name from the main running threads to follow! Have a blast at WDW. I’m super excited to head back in April with DH for our second trip to FL!:yay:

Update!​

Well I’m back from WDW (not that I want to be) and I had a great time. Weather was nearly perfect. I did a ton of walking of course but no running due to my schedule and relying on Disney transportation. Now that I’m home it’s time to buckle down and get to work. I want to find a race before wine and dine. Most likely a half marathon.

I also need to find a new pair of shoes. That’s something I’ve kind of been dreading. I’ve only ever run in Disney new balance shoes. They’ve worked very well for me too. Running stores kind of intimidate me which is why I’ve been procrastinating that process. I obviously don’t want to spend $100 on a pair of shoes I’m gonna hate.

Update!​

Well I’m back from WDW (not that I want to be) and I had a great time. Weather was nearly perfect. I did a ton of walking of course but no running due to my schedule and relying on Disney transportation. Now that I’m home it’s time to buckle down and get to work. I want to find a race before wine and dine. Most likely a half marathon.

I also need to find a new pair of shoes. That’s something I’ve kind of been dreading. I’ve only ever run in Disney new balance shoes. They’ve worked very well for me too. Running stores kind of intimidate me which is why I’ve been procrastinating that process. I obviously don’t want to spend $100 on a pair of shoes I’m gonna hate.
You've completed Dopey and a mostly Dopey. Don't be intimidated by a running store. Heck, they should be intimidated by you! It is too bad NB ended their partnership with Disney.

You've completed Dopey and a mostly Dopey. Don't be intimidated by a running store. Heck, they should be intimidated by you! It is too bad NB ended their partnership with Disney.
I know. I still don’t consider myself a serious runner though.

I know. I still don’t consider myself a serious runner though.
Its good not to take ones self so seriously :upsidedow but even though you may not consider yourself a serious runner you certainly ARE a runner. Your feet deserve a shoe that fits you properly. Your future self will thank you for it :P
Welcome back from the World!

I actually enjoy the running store experience. It's better than getting your shoes at Foot Locker or a non-specialty store. Plus, I usually end up "talking shop" a little bit with whoever is working - what races we have coming up, training plans, comparing stress fractures, etc. Ha ha. Plus, they can look at your gait, the wear and tear on your shoes, etc. and set you up with the right shoe for you.

On the other hand, go to Zappos, find a neutral New Balance shoe and stick with that. It'll cost less and if you like New Balance, no reason not to stick with them.

Either way, good luck!

So glad you had a good trip! Can’t wait to read your trip report ;)

I went to a running store for the first time in college (before my multi year hiatus) and was really nervous to go too. I hadn’t even run a 10K when I went in and they were super nice!

I would suggest bringing your current pair of running shoes with you too- they should be able to get you something close and also tell how you run in shoes.

So glad you had a good trip! Can’t wait to read your trip report ;)

I went to a running store for the first time in college (before my multi year hiatus) and was really nervous to go too. I hadn’t even run a 10K when I went in and they were super nice!

I would suggest bringing your current pair of running shoes with you too- they should be able to get you something close and also tell how you run in shoes.
Thanks! I’ve heard both good and bad stories about running stores so that’s why I’m worried.

Okay. Running store.
I've had good and not-as-good experiences (good when I went for me, not-as-good when we went for my sister). The key is to make sure you feel comfortable. If you feel like anything is making you uncomfortable, then tell them you're not going to buy the shoes and walk out.
If you're nervous, talk it out with the salesperson. The good thing about going to a running store is that most likely the person you're dealing with is also a runner. They may remember their first time getting fitted for shoes. If you're lucky, you may even get another Disney runner who really understands you. And if you're looking for a local half before Wine & Dine ... talk to the people at the running store and see if they have recommendations.

You can also tell them that you've had success in the NB Disney shoes before and you'd like to try the a version of those (I don't remember which ones you have, but they should say the model number on them somewhere, and the running store may have the latest version of that model). I went in and told my running store that I've done well in Asics and wanted to try some Asics, and they gave me two different types of Asics to try (and I ended up walking out with New Balance shoes...). If you go to the right store, they will want to make the experience painless for you.

Remember that the running store is interested in making you happy (after all, if you like going there, then they just got someone new who will buy things and spend money). If they don't seem interested in making sure you're happy with your purchase, then you're in the wrong store.

(And by the way ... I don't consider myself a serious runner either. I'm a consistent runner, but not at all serious about it. I still go to the running store all the time. Nobody says it's the "serious runners only running store." A good running store will cater to all runners at all points in their journey.)

Last edited:
Okay. Running store.
I've had good and not-as-good experiences (good when I went for me, not-as-good when we went for my sister). The key is to make sure you feel comfortable. If you feel like anything is making you uncomfortable, then tell them you're not going to buy the shoes and walk out.
If you're nervous, talk it out with the salesperson. The good thing about going to a running store is that most likely the person you're dealing with is also a runner. They may remember their first time getting fitted for shoes. If you're lucky, you may even get another Disney runner who really understands you. And if you're looking for a local half before Wine & Dine ... talk to the people at the running store and see if they have recommendations.

You can also tell them that you've had success in the NB Disney shoes before and you'd like to try the a version of those (I don't remember which ones you have, but they should say the model number on them somewhere, and the running store may have the latest version of that model). I went in and told my running store that I've done well in Asics and wanted to try some Asics, and they gave me two different types of Asics to try (and I ended up walking out with New Balance shoes...). If you go to the right store, they will want to make the experience painless for you.

Remember that the running store is interested in making you happy (after all, if you like going there, then they just got someone new who will buy things and spend money). If they don't seem interested in making sure you're happy with your purchase, then you're in the wrong store.

(And by the way ... I don't consider myself a serious runner either. I'm a consistent runner, but not at all serious about it. I still go to the running store all the time. Nobody says it's the "serious runners only running store." A good running store will cater to all runners at all points in their journey.)
Thanks! This was really helpful.

My running store has a like 30 day (I think) return policy, which I know many do so that's something to make sure so if you do hate them you can return them easily. Don't feel intimidated either, runners come in all shapes/sizes/looks/whatever. Heck a lot of nonrunners will by running shoes because they like the comfort. and you should totally wear a Dopey shirt, good conversation starter that will help break any tension/intimidation you feel for sure!

HEY GUESS WHAT?!

I ran today! Wasn't much but better than nothing. Weather was decent, 40s with sunshine and I was feeling weirdly motivated so I went out and ran! Hopefully this is the start of something good. I likely won't get any major running in the next three days either. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy with possible snow mixing in (can't it get warm already?) and Sunday is Easter, then Monday is the home opener for the Milwaukee Brewers and I am working that. Opening day is the busies day of the year for us so I'll likely be exhausted. Hopefully I can start a routine after that. I will be working a lot more though now that baseball season has begun. I just really want it to warm up already!

Today, I finished the Team Shenanigans Choose Your Adventure Fun Run. Its basically a running scavenger hunt and your goal is to get 10 points. You can do it over multiple runs or just one. I got it done in two runs.

3.19 miles, 31:18 total time, with a 9:49 min/mi pace.

Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!