The 'we got pixie dust!' TR!

honeyb35

Mouseketeer
Following on from my PTR here ......
Day 1:
We were due to fly from Birmingham at 06.25 on Thursday morning, its a couple of hours drive from our home in Sheffield, so the plan was to get everyone to bed early and set off at 2am to give us plenty of time. Didn't quite work to plan - just after tea I put my boots on to nip outside and put my foot straight through them.....disaster! They were my comfiest and warmest footwear, didn't fancy wearing heels and I don't do trainers, so a quick nip to the shop for emergency shoes was called for!
That done, home, and kids in bed, I settled down myself for a few hours only to remember that I hadn't printed off the emails about travel insurance and the transfer information etc. Nipped downstairs to do so, only to remember a few days previously the ipad had failed and needed restoring, yep, deleted emails!
Spent a few hours trying to remember which company I'd used, eventually figured it and jotted down contact numbers, just in time for the alarm to go off, no sleep for me then!
We put the kids in the car in their pyjamas figuring it was warmer and that they would go back to sleep that way, and that they could dress in the car on arrival. The journey itself was a nightmare - there were so many roadworks and traffic diversions that what was supposed to take 2 hours max actually took us to 5am. We had headed for the APH car park using the sat nav and the directions given on their website, but despite being on the right road there was no sign of it, and the number on the website just gave a message saying office was closed. Grr. Half an hour of that and I said we had to get to the airport NOW....then discovered it was still half an hour away! Noooooo!!!
Raced there, dragged cases out of car, threw kids clothes in and hurried into airport, time to worry about parking costs later! The plane was on its final boarding call, honestly didn't expect to be allowed on at that point and had no idea what to do - I'm usually so organised at things like this so missing a flight isn't on my radar!
I'm guessing the fact we were travelling with a wheelchair swung it - they checked us in with a warning that it was the pilots decision and an assistant raced us through boarding.
The pilot obviously ok'd it and we were allowed to board, phew! Collapsed into our seats and spent an hour recovering and in a state of shock lol.
We were met by our transfer at the other end and arrived at disney with no more scares. Checked in very quickly as the desk was empty, and was given our paperwork with a letter addressed to Matthew (my son) attached to it.
The two youngest kids were still in pjs at this point as we hadnt had time to dress them, so did that in the toilets at the hotel, then went to leave our baggage and get into the park! All this must have only taken 10 minutes or so, but suddenly the queues to check in were unbelievable! Sooo pleased I'd arrived when I did! :rotfl2:
Went to the park, went to city hall to collect Matthews easy access pass with no problems, then went for a walk down Main Street and through the pink castle, my 7 year old skipping all the way!
The first thing we saw was Captain Hook and Mr Smee! My boy is pirate mad, it was like fate! They were at the bottom of the ramp which we had to go down and as soon as the CM saw us, she signelled to us to wait, then bought them over to us, girls barely had time to grab their autograph books! (poundland ones they decorated themselves with disney stickers! :lmao: )
WP_20140220_001_zps66543f09.jpg.html

We did a few rides this afternoon including the spinning teacups, the Buzz lightyear ride that we've never done before (wow! just wow!) and the princess pavillion where we were lucky enough to meet Snow White, my youngest daughters favourite princess. She was so thrilled she could barely speak! :rotfl:
WP_20140220_15_04_34_SmartShoot_zps6e553084.jpg.html

By parade time it was raining quite heavily, and due to our hectic morning I'd decided 'dreams' wasn't a possibility today but I was determined to see the parade!
That done, we headed to mcdonalds for a quick bite to eat and then back to hotel to see our room and relax for the next day!
We were very impressed with the cars theming, especially my boy! In the childrens room we found water and chocolates which were very welcomed! I had been too shy to ask for pixie dust myself but my lovely friend had emailed them :) at this point, I remembered the letter with Matthews name on it. I had assumed it was info about accessing the disability pass, but on opening it, I found a letter inviting him and family to a special event at studio services the next day!

Day 2:

I made everyone get up early for breakfast as I had been prewarned by the reception staff on how busy it got, and also wanted to do a bit of EMH before we had to head to the studios for Matthews surprise!
We got there about 8, and found no queue although it was packed and we struggled to find a seat, at this point I found myself fondly thinking of Sequoia Lodge and how you were shown to a table!
We had literally sat down and then caught sight of the queue which had suddenly appeared, once again we missed a scrum by minutes, how lucky!
:lmao:
Breakfast took a while and we didn't get to the park till 9.30 which meant queues were already building up. Youngest daughter begged for dumbo, which is a ride my son can't go on (he gets sick on roundabout type rides) so hubby took him for a walk whilst I queued with my daughters.
After that, we headed to the studios where hubby spotted the tower of terror. He's not been on it before and noticed the queue was only about 10 minutes so he went on that whilst we waited to see if we could hear him scream :rotfl2:
We then headed for studio services to find out what the surprise was. A lovely lady (called Stephanie I believe) knew all the kids names and told us we were going into a different room to meet some special guests. After a few minutes she came in with Mickey, Minnie and Donald! They spent about 10 - 15 minutes playing with the kids and the toys in the room, and posing for photos! My daughter had a great time with Mickey, using the Mr Potato head pieces (they made Donald, who wasn't impressed that whilst there were pieces for his beak and hat, there were no duck feet!) and Matthew had a good flirt with Minnie!
Soooo amazing and made our day, if not our trip!
WP_20140221_11_48_19_SmartShoot_zps84a38256.jpg.html

We spent the rest of the day doing everything I love about the studios, including the shows and watching the stars and cars parade.
After a bite to eat, we headed to the disney park to watch 'dreams'. It was packed but a CM directed us to the wheelchair area. Initially they said only one could go in, but then changed their minds and sent both of us in with the kids. We found a bench and got comfy. All I will say is an absolute wow! I nearly cried, it was so awesome, Matthew never moved (that NEVER happens, he's always fidgeting) and my husband was even speechless (that happens even less! :rotfl: )

Day 3:

For our last full day we decided (ok, I did!) to make the most of EMH and spend the full day in the disney park. We got on the Peter Pan ride and carousel before they got stupidly busy, then went round each area in turn, doing the rides we wanted to do, and meeting a few characters, my favourite of which was the Mad Hatter, he is fantastic and even had my usually moody 13 year old in stitches! We also went back to the princess pavillion and met cinderella this time, who got a kiss off my boy :rolleyes1
We watched the parade again, and then the kids begged to go shopping, so we went down Main Street, where we ended up becoming the proud owners of a Jessie Doll, a baby Stitch and a Tick Tock Croc! Although the kids had enjoyed 'dreams' the previous night, they were flagging and I knew I wanted to pack so we called it a day.
DSCF3224_zpsef58b2dc.jpg.html

DSCF3229_zps8a501835.jpg.html

Day 4:

Our last day :sad2: we wanted to spend today back in the studios so foregoed EMH for a lazy breakfast (had to queue this time but not for long, think we missed the worst of it!) then cleared the room, left the bags and went to the studios. We saw the Stitch show for the first time ever (loved it!) and character spotted before the parade, we met Cruella De Ville, the Evil Queen, Lilo and Stitch Gaston, Mulan and a few others. Hubby told the queen that eldest daughter had booed her in the parade a couple of days before. Daughter was rewarded with an icy glare that left her quaking in her boots! :rotfl:
We watched the stars and cars parade again, then left for lunch and back to the hotel for our pickup. Whilst on the shuttle bus, hubby received a call to say driver was waiting (half an hour early!) I'd promised the kids something from the hotel shop so whilst hubby collected the bags, I hurried the kids inside and did the quickest shop ever :rotfl:

Highs:

The weather - it was raining when we arrived, which I was gutted about, but then picked up the rest of the time and was beautiful. We only had one other lot of rain in the morning but it stopped by about 10. On the last day kids refused to wear their ski trousers and even their coats, it was so warm!

Our luck - we seemed to miss all the huge queues by minutes at best, at mealtimes, at check in time, etc etc! No idea how we managed to time things so well! And obviously managing to catch the plane in the first place! :rotfl:

Disney magic - the chocolates and water were lovely but meeting the characters in our own private room? Unbelievable! I have no idea what my friend said but it was an amazing experience!

Dreams - no other words needed!

Getting on rides we missed last time - the studio tours was closed when we last went, and we never managed Buzz or Stitch, so pleased we made it this time round.

Lows:

Obviously the mad rush for the plane at the beginning, talk about stressful!

Transfers - we were collected fine, but I realised I wasn't sure of collection time as it was one of the emails that got deleted. Using very limited internet (phone didn't like Santa Fe wifi!) I emailed them, only to get one back saying they had no booking from me for a return trip? Hubby eventually rang them and got a collection time but it was very worrying and confusing!)

CDG airport - well, not all of them, but we checked in and were sent on our way. Eventually found our way to the boarding area, only to find we'd only been given 4 boarding passes. I had to go to a different area on my own to sort it out, nerve wracking stuff! :confused3:
It took forever to go through the scanner as we had to stand to one side and wait, not sure why, something to do with the wheelchair. When it came to actually boarding the plane, again we were taken to one side and made to wait, then a member of staff told me sternly that if we'd had assistance they could have sorted out getting the wheelchair to the holding area and had the aisle chair but it was too late for the aisle chair now. Had to inform them we hadn't been offered assistance - then her demeanor changed and she was all apologetic, apparently we should have had it from checking in. Would have certainly helped with some of the stress! :sad1:
As we had no aisle chair, hubby had to carry him to our seats, at the back of the plane! Not as easy as it sounds, Matthew is 9 and quite tall, and hubby suffers from arthritis. As we were the last to board, everyone was stood up putting things in the lockers and wouldn't move :sad1:
We also hit a lot of turbulence which didn't make for an easy flight, hubby isn't a great traveller!

Parking - obviously not finding the APH park in the beginning was stressful, and it also meant I paid £11 for a service I didn't use, and had to pay £52 for onsite parking as I didn't prebook, grr!

Car breakdown - when we got back to the car the battery was completely flat. Luckily we are members of the AA so phoned them and had an hour wait. They came out and started us, but after leaving the car park, we started to get warning lights flashing and it wasn't running right. We pulled up in services about 10 miles down the road, where hubby spotted a couple of AA vans in the back of the car park. He spoke to them, who had a look, then called out a colleague to come and sort it. We were there nearly two hours before it was done, then we had a loooooong drive home, eventually arriving at about 1.30am. :headache:

Oh, and the only real low from the disney side of things, and it wasn't really a low, but I kept comparing Santa Fe to our previous trip at Sequoia Lodge. Don't get me wrong, Santa Fe was fine in itself, and I loved the theming, but it just didn't have the same 'wow' factor. I think the most difficult thing was because we knew it was further, we caught the bus, and that was a nightmare. There is obviously only one set of wheelchair accessible doors, but most people simply pushed their way onto that area, regardless of the fact that we couldn't really access the rest of the bus. At Sequoia we gave up after the first trip and just walked it. I couldn't justify the extra cost this time, I think we got a great deal last time but although it was still very very enjoyable, it did feel like a bit of the magic was missing! Was nice being all on one level though!

WOW! What wonderful pixie dust and a fab trip. Such an amazing private meet. Rosebug was the recipient of one of those envelopes in August 2012, it is just so special. So pleased this happened for you. pixiedust:

And what a dreadful journey. So glad it all worked out but dear god, you coped better than I would. I would have just sat and cried in a corner and not got anywhere! :sad:

Unfortunately I can't see any of your photos? :confused3

Looking at your photos now! The Mad Hatter was AMAZING wasn't he?!

Amazing trip! Wow, have never heard of the magic envelope experience before!! Lol well done to your lovely family for coping with such awful travel and making the most of your trip!

Shall we start a Mad Hatter fan club!? Lol

C x

Lovely to read your trip report. Your kids look so happy in the pictures. That was awesome about your own wee met in the studios, how good was that huh ;)

LOVE LOVE LOVED the Mad Hatter, he spent a few minutes playing with the kids and doing the imaginary cups of tea, then in the parade later he saw Matthew and came running over calling his name! So impressed he remembered!
Also forgot to put that in the stars and cars on the last day, my daughter was sat holding her new Jessie doll. As they came past, Woody pointed to the doll and nudged Jessie, who then blew my daughter a kiss and gave her a thumbs up, which made her day!

Aw fabulous trip but what a scary start!! Love the pixie dust I hadn't heard about the special envelope surprise either......it sounds awesome! Delighted for you and your family x

Oooh I thought of another couple of lows :/

Merchandise - I actually thought the ranges were quite limited, despite how many shops there were, does that sound strange? There was barely any Sofia the first things, no Jake and the neverland pirates at all (sons favourite show), and despite how recent and popular Frozen is, not much of that! We saw the animator dolls, and a singing Anna, and some plastic ones, but that was about it....the UK range has cuddly Olaf's amongst other things, so that was a surprise. Plenty of nightmare before christmas things though, happy me! :rotfl:

How some people kick off over the strangest things - we saw arguments with a couple of families over the disability thing - one was at 'its a small world', the argument seemed to be one family with a wheelchair who didn't want to wait for a reservation time, and was taking it out on a pregnant lady who had a reservation time using the easy access thing. I actually quite liked the reservation system as it made sense and you could see what they were trying to do with it. It didn't work for everything though, we were given a reservation time for 'its a small world' which was fine, except they were sending the wheelchair boat round on its own which seemed bizarre! So I did get why the lady had got upset, but at the end of the day, if it stops people abusing the pass, all the better for those in genuine need! It also seemed hit and miss, not all CM's did it the same way, some gave us the reservation at the exit, others wanted you to find a CM at the main entrance to do it, so it got a bit confusing! We also saw one man kick off about the disabled spaces for the parade - he had a child who was eligible but he wanted his whole family to go in, but the CM's wouldn't let him. He then acted like a complete **** by jumping in front of the cars of the parade and trying to dance with the characters despite security trying to pull him away several times. He was quite aggressive with it and scared some of the kids.

But there are some extra highs too.

The queueing system for the characters is great, it made the whole experience a lot nicer! Obviously we are very lucky and as soon as a CM see's the wheelchair we get waved to the front or the character brought over, but the absence of a scrum made this much easier, and I didn't feel like we had the huffing and puffing over us going first like last time. If we didn't have the wheelchair I would have been happy to wait in the line as it seemed much more civilised and certain to actually get to meet the character, whereas my youngest daughter wouldn't go near if there was a pushing shoving scrum, shes very shy and hates crowds.

Mcdonalds! I know, I know, there are hundreds of nicer places to eat, but we were on a very limited budget and my family are fussy eaters. Last time we used it it was a free for all and took forever to get served, but the introduction of those computer ordering booths made it loads quicker, and easier to see what was available!

Getting on the Peter Pan ride quite quickly - another one my boy can't go on, so we have to queue, but I insist on it as I like this one :D even at EMH there were long queues, but as we were a party of 3, we ended up bypassing a lot of it as most people were in bigger groups and needed a car of their own :D

I hate that aggression you see at DLP. Some people go cuckoo when they get there eh! Its just all so unnecessary - maybe people feel pressured to have the best experience because it costs so much and the walking really tuckers the kids out so they get cranky and you end up telling them NO like 20 times a day if you go looking about the shops but thats no excuse for intimidating and threatening behaviour - do these people not know they are only making a spectacle of themselves and ruining the whole holiday!!
We had a great meal in McDonalds on one of our last trips - the Daim McFlurry was hands down the nicest thing I had all that trip :thumbsup2
The trip to the airport must have been terrifying :scared1: I hate being under pressure and going to the airport always makes me tense. It doesnt stop til we get to the gate. I'm always dreading forgetting the passports or getting stuck in the carpark waiting for a shuttle bus. At least you got there safe and sound :hug:
Had a look at your pics, there are great!
Thanks a mill for sharing

We then headed for studio services to find out what the surprise was. A lovely lady (called Stephanie I believe) knew all the kids names and told us we were going into a different room to meet some special guests. After a few minutes she came in with Mickey, Minnie and Donald! They spent about 10 - 15 minutes playing with the kids and the toys in the room, and posing for photos! My daughter had a great time with Mickey, using the Mr Potato head pieces (they made Donald, who wasn't impressed that whilst there were pieces for his beak and hat, there were no duck feet!) and Matthew had a good flirt with Minnie!

Was room the room you were in.

Merchandise - TOTALLY with you on this.We were really disappointed with the Frozen range especially as Rosebug had been desperate to buy some bits with her Birthday money and there was nothing really available. And yes - loved the NBC stuff - Rosebug and DH bought me a scarf! :thumbsup2

Kicking off - again with you! We saw a family kicking off at the disabled parade spot because 2 adults and 3 kids weren't allowed in with a child in a wheelchair. I do "kind of" understand. It seems unfair that a pregnant woman can get in with her husband and all her kids; but when a child has a pass the family gets split up; especially if a child has severe disabilities; I can imagine an extra pair of hands could be a help. HOWEVER; those are the rules and I do understand WHY they have to have limits; we were just thankful for the assistance and DH never tried to come in with us but both times there was space and CM's found him to tell him he could join us.
Were you there the same time as us? There was no reservation times for any of the rides when we were there? We just walked up to the disabled entrance/exit and were allowed on straight away; there was very rarely anyone in front of us.

The queueing system for the characters
- this was fantastic; and made it much more accessible for children with passes. Rosebug used to struggle with the scrums as we couldn't risk an elbow in the tummy so the new queuing system was great. Once or twice a queue was very short so we risked queuing (usually we get half way through a queue and have to leave due to her being cold or needing the bathroom) but when the queues were very long it made it much easier for her to hang about to the side and use her pass.

Getting on the Peter Pan ride quite quickly - some of the queues over half term were just so short! Glad you got on this quickly!

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter