The THYROID Thread

LMP I really hope your son and now your husband feels better and improves quickly

I know you don't want him to "gift" you with the flu....

I watch the weather channels all the time
Saw how awful it is for you and others in he NE areas

That is a lot of snow to deal with
You know it won't be all cleared right away

This is the main reason we left the North
I just could not deal with snow and sub temps any longer

Had a nice time at Disney
We rented a wheelchair everyday and son was the pusher
I could not have stood or walked all day and evening long without it

The monovisc injection gave about 75-80% relief
Now that I am home, only have about 50% relief
Was told by doc that some people can have relief for about 6 months but others can only go 1-2 months and it no longer be effective
I have 5 bone spurs on one of the knees and bone on bone

The orthopedic group put me in a high risk standing and I will see another surgeon in the group end of the month

He is backed up for surgeries for 3 months at this point

My hope was to have the surgery after my booked oct 1-15 trip but think it will be earlier than that

Really dont know what to do about that fall vacation

Christine I bet you enjoyed having lots of paid time off of work in December & days in January

Now I bet you are back to normal and busy at work

Wish you good news with your upcoming endo visit

My endo in Chicago never allowed me to have the flu shot
She said those with hasimoto can't have those flu shots
(I do have the hyperparathyroid as my primary condition but did not think that had any bearing on shots)

Have any of you been told that?

macraven, I never heard that you couldn't have the flu shot with Hashimoto's. Maybe because Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder and the flu shot works with your immune system that they would be concerned that stressing the immune system could make the Hashi's worse? Who knows.

In my mind, the jury is still out on flu shots! Of the people I know who have the flu some got the shot, some didn't. Who knows. I think if you do well with shots and no other issues, it's probably a safe bet to get the shot.

My endo appointment was uneventful. I had labwork done back in December so he didn't feel the need to do it again. We did discuss me trying a dye-free, povidone free thyroid tablet due to odd skin issues I get (I am pretty sure I'm allergic to large amounts of povidone). So he prescribed Levoxyl. Well, can't get that. It's on backorder with no time in sight for it to be in. Something has been up with Levoxyl for years now. Endo then sent a script in for Tirosint. I've tried that before but, man, I got a lot of "rushes" on it. I think I was on too high a dose when I tried it before. He did prescribe a lower dose for me. I'm deciding whether I want to subject myself to the change in meds. Doctor was VERY impressed with my weightloss. I was surprised when he remarked as I had forgotten I was 16 lbs heavier last visit.

The weather here has been SO mild. I can't remember a winter this mild. 60s and 70s in February---normally we are in the 30s, if not lower. You'd think I would get outside and exercise more, but I'm as lazy as ever!!

Thanks for your info Christina!

When our insurance changed years back(20), I had to see a new doc

He told me he only allows Levo and not synthroid which I had been on for years

For two years I was on levo and suffered as the med was not the correct one for me

Gained 25 lbs, was depressed, body functions did not work right and always constipated and sluggish, sleep was hit or miss, etc

When his insurance changed and we went back to original bcbs, was able to go back to the endo

Went back on synthroid but it took some months for my body and mind to get back to normal functioning again

I'm afraid to be switched to another drug for my hasimoto.

Have not found an endo so still using mine in Chicago
But she is having me do labs every 3 months as she is changing the dose and watching my levels

With the vit d defiency and the hyperparathyroid as primary problem I have, my test results change each month on thyroid levels

Last edited:

My mom and sister are RNs and they have always been anti-flu shot, so we've never had them in the family. Unfortunately this month, Dad came down with flu and it went into pneumonia. Hoping we can keep him out of the hospital (he's 79 and has prostate/bladder cancer) He's been doing so well until now.

Florida was glorious. Had a beautiful time with DD. Ended up extending my visit a few days because DD had a tire blow out the day before I was to leave and she was a bit shook up. I was able to take DD to work and the car to the dealership to get fixed. Due to the weather, JetBlue didn't charge me to change the flight. I spent the last two days poolside while DD worked! This North East weather is the pits. I can't wait for DH to retire!

Arts Festival was a bit of a dud, in my opinion. Looked like they tried to throw something together too quickly, and it was like a "flight of ideas", not really cohesive. The BEST part, however, was the "Disney on Broadway" feature. We saw Kerry Butler and Kevin Massey perform. We know Kevin through various works in NYC and were thrilled to see him. We watched the performance twice and were able to chat with him later. Such a talented, nice guy.

Still need to make some doctor's appointments. I've been too busy gallivanting!

singing mom - glad you had a great trip. Sounds like you are done with the weather as we are too.

Well my dh got the flu too. I slept with a mask on for 2 days because I didn't want to catch it. He is recovered now. Glad he had 2 days off from work since it was closed due to all the snow.

I am thinking of having our disney trip later in May so we can see the Rivers of Life possibly. It will also depend on hotel prices and flight prices as well.
Need to get in a little pre planning phase.

I always enjoy seeing the Flower and Garden festival so we could do both.

Going to celebrate dh b day tonight. Its really the only date that worked for everyone so we will take it.

Poor ds 3 did not get into the masters program again. last year he got an interview. This year nothing. It is just so competitive, so I dont know what he will do. He says he really doesnt care and then he says he might look at another college, we shall see.

Lost more people we knew lately, I hate cancer, dh former office mates wife, the 2 ds former teacher, they had her for different grades.

Hope everyone is doing well.

After my dh recovered from the flu he got really sick again. Of course he refused to go to urgent care and kept saying his chest hurt. I finally got him to go. He really doesnt have a primary dr. and goes to dr. waste of time who couldnt diagnose my cancer only rarely like once in 5 years lol. Well urgent care took a chest xray and said he had pneumonia. He was on lots of meds and is now feeling better. He is going to the west coast in two weeks and ds 3 is prob going with him.

I know I need to schedule my blood and sono soon. I need to dig out the papers and see when my appt. is with the endo. I really dont want to get the blood test on a week end because it seems when I do that they always mess it up and one of the tests is not processed. I even checked them last time in writing.

Snowing now and seeing if we will get more next week, they say we are in store for lots so we shall see.

Still working on the trip for May, dh has to see how things go at work. Our trips are usually last minute so we get what we can take, but I might just make multiple day adrs and then cancel them since I really dont know the exact dates yet. Prob. still going to do the split at the Swan and YC.

Check in when you can.

Hope everyone is doing well.

After my dh recovered from the flu he got really sick again. Of course he refused to go to urgent care and kept saying his chest hurt. I finally got him to go. He really doesnt have a primary dr. and goes to dr. waste of time who couldnt diagnose my cancer only rarely like once in 5 years lol. Well urgent care took a chest xray and said he had pneumonia. He was on lots of meds and is now feeling better. He is going to the west coast in two weeks and ds 3 is prob going with him.

I know I need to schedule my blood and sono soon. I need to dig out the papers and see when my appt. is with the endo. I really dont want to get the blood test on a week end because it seems when I do that they always mess it up and one of the tests is not processed. I even checked them last time in writing.

Snowing now and seeing if we will get more next week, they say we are in store for lots so we shall see.

Still working on the trip for May, dh has to see how things go at work. Our trips are usually last minute so we get what we can take, but I might just make multiple day adrs and then cancel them since I really dont know the exact dates yet. Prob. still going to do the split at the Swan and YC.

Check in when you can.
My dad had the flu and it went into double pneumonia. I think he should have been admitted, but mom (RN) insisted she wanted to keep him home. He's been sick over a month but now seems to be on the upswing. Poor guy. Had to have fluid drained he was so bad. Meds sent his other meds out of whack. It's been quite a month! Hope your DH gets all the rest he needs. Not something to fool around with.

Heading down to see DD at the end of the month. This time DH is able to tag along, which will be nice.

Gyno appt next week. oh Joy...

Well I dug my endo papers out and my appt. is March 31st. Now with dh going away I am scrambling to get the tests done. They are leaving wed. So ds3 offered to take me for the blood test on tues, his day off. The only appt. was 2 pm. So I booked it. Then ds said to me, is that a fasting blood test and I said, oh yeah I forgot, So now I probably cant eat till after that. Not too much of a problem. I will survive. lol.

Now the sono. The one hospital place I go to usually has a 2 week wait. But I heard they opened another place but i dont know if they do sonos and I do know they are open on Saturdays. Its a little further away so we shall see. We have a friend in the nursing home near there so maybe we an kill 2 birds with one stone and supposedly you dont kneed an appt. here but its still part of the hospital system. I guess you just sit and wait. Maybe I will give them a call and make sure they do neck sonos and maybe ask about the wait since they say we are getting more snow on sat, sigh.

singing mom - hope you have a good trip seeing your dd

Hope everyone is doing well. Check in when you can.

Hello everyone!

LMP--I'd definitely check on the neck sonogram before going. We have places that do sonograms on Saturdays and Sundays here but it is *never* the thyroid ones. That takes a special certified sonographer (at least here), so I always have to get a weekday appointment. I heard there was another storm on track, thankfully, not headed to the DC area and we will get some 50 degree temps this weekend.

I had my exercise stress test last week and all went well with that. Well, I didn't properly eat or drink before the test so THAT was not good. Had a problem recovering after ward and felt awful. I stopped at McDonald's and that seemed to take care of it. I think I got severely dehydrated as well as low blood sugar. They really PUSH you on that treadmill.

Next week I'm having an echocardiogram just to finish up the cardiac studies. I've had two before. One showed a mild mitral valve prolapse and one didn't (this was years ago) so he just wants to get a status on that. So not sure what's causing the palps and the low heart rate at times but he was not concerned.

I've changed my thyroid medication to Levoxyl dye free (so I take two 50 mcg tablets). I keep getting these odd itchy bumps and small rashes at times. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something in the Synthroid. Synthroid has a small amount of Povidone in it and I am allergic to that, but changing meds doesn't seem to have made a difference so not sure what that's about. I think my body is just going crazy after menopause!!

Well, everyone have a good weekend.

Christine - glad the stress test was good except for the side effects. I have only had an echo once before I think. They said I couldnt physically do the stress test so I would need the nuclear one. Hope your rash symptoms are bearable. It sounds strange and I am sure its a nuisance. Maybe a dermatologist or take a picture and show the dr. so they can see it. If it goes away and comes intermittently.

Well the luck of the sono was with me today, lol.. I called and they said when do you want, um this is the place I have to wait 2 weeks for. They said is it a hosp. dr. who ordered your test and I said yes, So they pulled it up and said we have something tues. I said perfect! So now it will be blood, lunch with ds and then sono. Next day they are leaving for the west coast for a week.

Dh said this is the last trip he will be taking.He is sure he will most likely be losing his job thanks to our new proposed govt. budget cuts. Dont want to be political but sigh, sigh and more sigh. His place is taking a huge, huge hit. They of course will take oldest people first who are paid the most and dh boss hates him anyway. The only thing I am worried about is the healthcare. I need something really good. Our state does not do the insurance exchange, we have our own kind of thing and I dont know what is offered on it. Now I am even afraid to ask about a vacation. They also usually give an incentive to get you to retire early and dh did ask about that, they said no incentives will be offered to anyone - we have no money, gheesh! Snow tomm. oh joy!

Sorry to hear about your DH's job situation, LMP. My brother-in-law is going through something similar. The "waiting" is the worst.

Tuesday I have gyno. Been having terrible back pain and uncomfortable front lower feeling. My imagination is on overload for ovarian cancer. Hopefully it won't be anything other than needing to lose weight. (which, isn't happening. I hate the 50's!)

Off to see DD next Saturday. Looking forward to sun and NO SNOW.

LMP, so sorry to hear about your husband. This budget stuff is crazy isn't it. I work for one of the agencies that will get the big boost (which is just ridiculous and I'm sure you can figure out which one it is!!).

I hope your husband has some skills that could transfer to another agency maybe. Where there will be a vacuum, some else will need more help. But I'm not entirely confident that this drastic budget will make it through Congress. It's just nuts and all very unsettling. I keep thinking this is just some nightmare and it's not real.

Anyway, good news on the sono; it's great when you can get stuff taken care of.

SingingMom, best of luck at the gyno appointment. Here's to hoping it's excess weight. And don't blame your 50s!!! I was doing that but once I got serious I did drop 16 lbs. I thought I couldn't but I proved myself wrong. You just have to really get in the right frame of mind for it. Don't mean to sound preachy but I thought I couldn't lose and I did (with very little exercise).

Everyone have a nice weekend!

LMP so sorry to read about your husband

Scary not to have medical insurance
My husband quit his job when we moved
No insurance for him and it's a worry

Very concerned how health care will be dealt with in the coming months

Singingmom, hope your health improves
I hear you on the imagination

Christine, we will call you miss skinny

Losing weight is so uplifting

Christine, we will call you miss skinny

Losing weight is so uplifting

Oh, well, that's probably pushing it!!! Especially since I've been "stress" eating! I've managed to eat quite a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies (all to myself) that has probably given me several pounds back. If I could just stop the mindless eating!

Well yest was a comedy of errors. Ds said I should just go with the flow and these things are not an issue, I said yes but there were many of them yest, so it bothered me. I am the kind of person who likes everything planned out and everything to go as planned as much as can be.

Before I go I realized the lab script was expired yesterday so I called and they faxed over a new one right to the lab, so nice.
2. I get to the lab and some ladies say, oh the elevator is broken, the lab is on the second floor. Ds goes and scopes out the stairs. He said there are too many and I wouldnt be able to do them. He goes and gets the script. They say where another lab is. He asks them to come downstairs and draw the blood. They said they cant do that (I didnt ask about this, he did).
Meanwhile I havent eaten all day and vision of Panera Bread just passed us by
3. Get to new lab. Long walk and its hard for me to get in and out of ds car. The tech there says her computer is not working but she wastes time trying to fix it instead of drawing my blood or using a different computer she says works. There were only 2 people waiting. She says - oh you ate right (fasting vs. not fasting). I said, I didnt eat and I am starving. This girl was not good. She tied the torniquet so tight, sigh
4. Get to sono, wait and wait. I am so exhausted I borrowed one of their wheelchairs to use like a walker. Finally tech comes, huh, not my usual girl to take me back. I go into exam room. There are 2 residents in there, a male and female. Um, huh, what. I know its a teaching hosp. but shouldnt they ask me before I even go into the room, no, surprise. I am thinking of writing a letter to the hosp. president. Ds says he hates residents and they are useless on his floor. The tech says something. I ask where is G. (my usual tech). She says, oh she just left, note to self - never have a late in day appt. Your favorite tech will have flown the coop. The residents said nothing, so much for compassion. Ds said he had to take a course on compassion. Told tech just get this over with. I was a little grumpy by this time. She pressed hard, not like my reg. tech, sigh. Didnt even ask me to wait if they wanted more pictures, oh well.
5. Ds goes to the parking gate, they make you put a token in that they give you at check out. Token does not work, guy in back of him has to back up, Ds has to go and get a new token. I am waiting near a bench for him to pick me up. Oh did I mention its 5 pm and I havent eaten all day, sigh. lol, the end. And now we wait.
Thank heavens I only have to do this twice a year.

Lordy, LMP, that was an ordeal and a half!! Hopefully all the results are good. Keep us posted.

My gyno apt was fine - he thinks my back pain is back related, but is sending me for transvaginal & abdominal ultrasounds to rule out gyno problems. After those results he said to follow up with primary to get an MRI for the lower back. We are going to visit DD on Saturday. I'll go for tests after that. We leave for Spain in May. Hopefully I can go with a clear mind!

Good luck to everyone awaiting test results. I just had an echocardiogram done about an hour ago. Won't get results until next week I'm sure. I'm not overly worried about it (but that's probably when something bad will happen!!).

Anyway, glad I'm done testing for a bit. My GYN and mammogram appointments start up in late April, early May. It just never ends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!