The Stick vs. Tiger Tail?

gotrojansgo

Mouseketeer
So I've been doing a lot of reading and these massage sticks seem to be really good for your muscles. Has anyone used one before and/or own one? Any preference between the two? I've read pros and cons for each and I'm really stuck in a rut.

Pictures? Do you mean the thing that will help you create additional end points on your muscles? I didn't think that was available for public purchase yet. But you can do the same thing with your hands. I went to a chat about that at my LRS last week.

The Stick:

travel_stick.jpg

The Tiger Tail:

1.588009TIGERTAIL.jpg

Ah. No, that's not the same thing. That looks more like a hand-held foam roller. I much prefer a regular foam roller that I actually put under me and roll on. AMAZING!!! (And I'd imagine cheaper than those.)

If you're looking to use a method that will create additional "end points" for your muscles, google "active release technique" for information about how to do that.

If talking leg muscle a better option is a foam roller. The one huge advantage the roller has over a stick, et al is that you use body weight to as your push force rather than arm strength. I find that most of my runners who have a stick are not capable of holding the stick on the lesion long enough to ‘unknot’ the tissue. Frankly it hurts and the brain will not allow one to push on that spot as long as needed at times. The advantage of a stick over a roller is portability. You can pack a stick in your luggage and have it anywhere needed.
Other than these two differences no product has an advantage over the other.

The technique starts with applying pressure starting at one end of the muscle and slowly rolling the device to the opposite end of the muscle. You stop and need any painful spot until you feel the tissue start to relax. This point is painful but must be held for the knot to relax; else you are simply wasting time and effort. Note that this is more important to muscle health than many understand. Exercise works to strengthen muscle fiber. This process in real simple terms tears the fiber and strength is gained when the fiber re-knits/repairs itself. Normally muscle fibers are free to slide back and forth beside one another; however, the repair process can create knots in the tissue where recently worked muscle is not sliding as easily as it should (aka the knot). Pointed pressure in the area of this knot can help the tissue to relax and the knot to release and the muscle tissue re-lengthen to normal.

I have plantar flare ups, and someone at fleet feet sold me the stick and showed me where the muscle knots form. She rolled one out and it was EXCRUTIATING, but within a few days felt much better and no more plantar. Now if my heels are even a tiny bit sore I make a big effort to roll out my calves and look for any knots. It is really uncomfortable to roll them out, but so worth it in the end.:goodvibes

I have the stick and a big foam roller, not like the tail picture that you posted, just a piece of foam about 18 inches long. The stick can be painful if you hit a knot and try to work it out, but I guess that is the point. I go back and forth b/w the stick and the foam, I use the foam mostly on hamstrings and hips and the stick on my calves and quads. They both do the job, but the stick is definitely easier to tote for an away race, it fits right in my bag and doesn't take up that much space. Hope that helps!

We have The Stick, borrowed Dave's during marathon weekend a few years back and bought one right away. We love it. Sorry never seen or heard of the other one so not sure.

I have the stick and a big foam roller, not like the tail picture that you posted, just a piece of foam about 18 inches long. The stick can be painful if you hit a knot and try to work it out, but I guess that is the point. I go back and forth b/w the stick and the foam, I use the foam mostly on hamstrings and hips and the stick on my calves and quads. They both do the job, but the stick is definitely easier to tote for an away race, it fits right in my bag and doesn't take up that much space. Hope that helps!

I use the stick and foam roller combination as well. Foam roller for quads, hamstrings and IT band and stick for calves.

The one huge advantage the roller has over a stick, et al is that you use body weight to as your push force rather than arm strength.

I agree, and it's also difficult to reach some areas of your body with the stick-type tools. Here's an interesting comparison:
rumbleroller.com/massage-tool-comparison.html

I find that most of my runners who have a stick are not capable of holding the stick on the lesion long enough to ‘unknot’ the tissue. Frankly it hurts and the brain will not allow one to push on that spot as long as needed at times.

This can be overcome by working with a partner to roll out each others calves.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter