The Scooter Strikes Back-A F&W 2017 TR- Bonus Features, Link to new TR 3/22

I really liked that cheese tart! It was massive though and reasonably priced, so you know that will change!

We had technically only sampled stuff from two of the F&W kiosks all week.

Wow, that was not a lot.

As we entered Epcot, a problem arose when Fran's rental scooter was almost out of battery.

I can't believe that this was causing you issues, too.

One of my favorites!

z17FW1101EP03.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious. Maybe I should not have looked at this just before I am due to have my lunch.

Then I used a tab for a Capirania in Brazil.

I love a good Caipirinhia.

At chocolate studio I got the liquid nitrogen almond tart, it was cool how they made it. They took a spoonful of the chocolate goo.

That was my absolute favourite when I last was there for the Food and Wine Festival.

Corinna

Sounds like you had a great time eating your way through the kiosks (and drinking!!). Also happy to hear that you had a great weekend at the West Coast version of this!

We did. The west coast version of this, we did not get to many booths, it was more the concierge lounge! :laughing:

Actually, the concept art they released for the massive Walt Disney Studios Paris redo shows the original ToT, not a Marvel version one. The Marvel area starts just behind it. The Paris RnRC will be turned into a Marvel themed coaster and there will be an attraction that they are building in Hong Kong coming to Paris. But that is all the Marvel there as far as I know.

Huh. Interesting to know.

Not if I lived there for oh... 6 months of the year....
Could sub-lease the other 6?

Nope. Sorry. It specifically says no subletting in the rental agreement. But it is month to month tenancy so you could leave after six months. The last guy did, but then we asked him to move.

Didn't I mention the 6 months part? ;)

We prefer longer term tenants.

Then go ahead and copy and paste. I don't mind a bit more work than opening a bag! :)

Did you get it?

:laughing: I'll think on that!

Let me know. You have a while to decide. ;)

Sure. Makes sense for you guys. I get that. Not for me. I order from Amazon maybe... 1-2 times a year.

I was going to say we order 1-2 per week, but i think its more than that.

Ew on the chicken. Hard pass.

The rest sounds good. I don't know if I'll get the chance, but it's on my list. :)

It's kind of far north from where you are staying. Then again the race crowds downtown are huge. Any restaurant in walking distance will be mobbed with people from the race. Well probabaly not the Vegan ones. :laughing:

Pine Avenue is often shut down for a block party. That's sort of the "hip" street downtown. There's a lot of great restaurants there. We only go there on Sun thru Thursday nights cause we dont like crowds. It probably will depend on how you feel after the race. Your hotel has a restaurant, bar and room service, so you might just want to chill after a couple days in the sun at the race. But Sunday you're gonna be on the road. Maybe you might want to hit them up on your way to Anaheim.

You can always head down Carson to go to Anaheim instead of taking the freeways.

Nope. Sorry. It specifically says no subletting in the rental agreement. But it is month to month tenancy so you could leave after six months. The last guy did, but then we asked him to move.

Dang. I hope I wouldn't be that guy!

We prefer longer term tenants.

Hmmm.... How do you feel about it being vacant for 6mos of the year?

Did you get it?

::yes:: But, tbh, I haven't even opened my mail in a day or two. I saw it in my inbox, though. Thanks! :)

Let me know. You have a while to decide. ;)

:)

I was going to say we order 1-2 per week, but i think its more than that.

:faint:

It's kind of far north from where you are staying. Then again the race crowds downtown are huge. Any restaurant in walking distance will be mobbed with people from the race. Well probabaly not the Vegan ones. :laughing:

Probably not!

This should be an interesting experience.

Pine Avenue is often shut down for a block party. That's sort of the "hip" street downtown. There's a lot of great restaurants there. We only go there on Sun thru Thursday nights cause we dont like crowds. It probably will depend on how you feel after the race. Your hotel has a restaurant, bar and room service, so you might just want to chill after a couple days in the sun at the race. But Sunday you're gonna be on the road. Maybe you might want to hit them up on your way to Anaheim.

Thanks, Alison! Pine sounds interesting. I didn't know that.

You can always head down Carson to go to Anaheim instead of taking the freeways.

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds like you had fun!

OMG! We had so much fun! Hanging out in the lounge while it rained outside! Plus we did some other fun things, but the time in the lounge was the highlight as you can see from Jenny and Jill's comments above!

::yes:: I've done that at least once... I like it. No lines. At least not when I went through.

We've stayed at the Beach Club and I love going in through that entrance, it's just great!

That's it?!??

I had planned on hanging out in Epcot after the Mediterranean lunch but since we had a dead scooter, our priority was to get it back to the hotel and get the new one.

You guys are having zero luck with the scooters. Your TR title is very apropos.

::yes::

mmmm.... sounds good...

Looks good, too.
Was it?

This was my favorite sweet treat of the festival!

How was that? Do you think I'd like it?

The liquor in it is Cachaça, and it is often compared to Rum, so I doubt it. I love them. Usually they are served on the Rocks at Brazilian Steakhouses, or Churrascarias.

From Wikipedia
Cachaça (Portuguese pronunciation: [kaˈʃasɐ])[1] is a distilled spirit made from fermented sugarcane juice. Also known as aguardente, pinga, caninha[2] and other names, it is the most popular spirit among distilled alcoholic beverage in Brazil.[3][4] Outside Brazil, cachaça is used almost exclusively as an ingredient in tropical drinks, with the caipirinha being the most famous cocktail.[5]

Nice! I have to fly across the Atlantic. You have a bridge!

Well technically we came from France so I guess it was a bridge across the Channel.

Whoa. Those look really good. <mouth starts to water>

They were! I'd get those again easily!

So bigger isn't always better. Huh.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response! :snooty:

Not a fan of stroganoff. Maybe the sour cream? Not sure.

I don't think this one was made with sour cream. I think it might have been made with Boursin Cheese.

That looks... difficult to eat.

It wasn't so difficult, we used a knife and fork. The difficult part was that I didn't care for it so much.

Then again... better to use it (you say you were running out of time) than to have it at the end, unused.

Exactly.

It was neat to see her make it!

Wrong Nautilus....

q17IRLN01.jpg

Well, I'm glad you had a great time!

We sure did! We were so spoiled even if the weather was bad!

You can almost cut and paste that sentence into each chapter.

:lmao: You're pretty much correct! :laughing:

Food looks yummy! I think the Ireland booth would have been a big hit with my clan.

You're probably right. You guys probably would have like the cheese dip too!

Absolutely! :)

You see part of it through some windows but not very much.

I don't even remember it much I was so afraid that my window would run out and I could't do it a second time I just rushed through.

I will. That will be awesome :hyper:

Depending on my situation, I might even be able to get a 2 bedroom at 11 months and save you the hassle of trying to get in a 7 months. Believe me there are advantages to doing that!

From the first time Corinna talked about it I’ve wanted to go to DLP. This will be much closer. :)

::yes:: Ever since we did the virtual thing in Imagineering it sounded so cool.

The new rental had a problem with the batteries??? :faint: too much!

Yeah, batteries wear down over time and I'm sure the rentals get a lot of mileage. They probably don't change them often enough thinking people won't notice, but we put a lot of mileage on these things.

ots of yummies. Mom loved that cheese tart, I’m surprised you didn’t like it. That nitro chocolate truffle is my absolute favorite popcorn::

It could have been that we were getting full, but then again I didn't care for the texture of the cheese and I ended up taking the weeds off the top.

Glad you could spend some time with your friends. Lucky they found an ADR.

Yeah, hopefully we will have lunch with them this summer the day before the cruise.

Mmm, I'm drooling a bit looking at the food pics.

I had so much fun this weekend despite the weather!!!

Jill in CO

It was so fun! I hope Mitchell is working weekends in April!

Wow... rough month for the health of you and your feline family. I hope everyone is doing much better by now.

It's been rough with them since they were born, but they're so precious. We just need to sell a car or two, and maybe some jewelry. :laughing:

Not a bad day with a couple of rides on FOP and some F&W. I'm really starting to come around and believe that AK is very underrated for QS food. I really like Restaurantosaurus but it is hard to even make a case for it against Flame Tree and Satulii Canteen.

I really like Flame Tree and the new place in Africa, was that Satulli Canteen? The Chicken Tikka Masala was really good there! It's much better than what there is at MK for QS.

They did all look incredibly filling! And oh so delicious!

I don't regret doing the lunches, it's just that with all the scooter drama we had no time to get to the booths!

yeah, that totally sucked.

I was sad it was gone. I reallly loved it the year before, but only had that one to compare to, so wouldn't have known it'd gone downhill. I need to try and make it myself.

I absolutely loved it in 2009 then I had it again in 2013 and it was still good. I went back in 2016 and it wasn't nearly as good as it was the two times before.

Okay... Yum!

Yes it was good!

$10 a glass for a thimbleful?

Good Lord.

:scared:

Actually the glasses were not thimblesfull they were decent pours. They may look small, but I believe that they were 5oz pours each.
Best weekend EVER!!!! Seriously. pixiedust: I miss Mitchell and our triple Bailey's. :lovestruc

If we go back (like we are talking about) I need to make our ADRs so that we can at least spend a tiny bit of time in there before we go to dinner!

That’s a good idea! I’m in. And Mitchell would be sad if we didn’t spend a tiny bit of time there.

OMG! We had so much fun! Hanging out in the lounge while it rained outside! Plus we did some other fun things, but the time in the lounge was the highlight as you can see from Jenny and Jill's comments above!

:goodvibes

We've stayed at the Beach Club and I love going in through that entrance, it's just great!

I've not stayed at the Beach Club, but have used the entrance. There's no one there!

I had planned on hanging out in Epcot after the Mediterranean lunch but since we had a dead scooter, our priority was to get it back to the hotel and get the new one.

I can see how that would be a priority.

This was my favorite sweet treat of the festival!

Good! :)

The liquor in it is Cachaça, and it is often compared to Rum, so I doubt it.

Well.... poop.

Well technically we came from France so I guess it was a bridge across the Channel.

Still a marvelous feat of engineering.

Heh. Reminds me of the joke about the bridge to Hawaii.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response! :snooty:

You're taking all the fun out of this!

:lmao:

I don't think this one was made with sour cream. I think it might have been made with Boursin Cheese.

Oh? I thought Stroganoff had to have sour cream. Huh.

And... I'm going to try a Stroganoff recipe that Liesa sent me.
Who knows! Maybe I'll even like it. :)

It wasn't so difficult, we used a knife and fork. The difficult part was that I didn't care for it so much.

Ah! Yeah, that'd do it.

Wrong Nautilus....

q17IRLN01.jpg

I know.
And I do love that.

Still sad they got rid of that ride.
I wish they'd updated it instead of tearing it out.

In other news... yours, I mean.
How is Fran feeling now? And... how are you? Did you manage to not get sick? :hug:

Last edited:
I don't even remember it much I was so afraid that my window would run out and I could't do it a second time I just rushed through.

Are we going to try for any FPs on our trip?

Depending on my situation, I might even be able to get a 2 bedroom at 11 months and save you the hassle of trying to get in a 7 months. Believe me there are advantages to doing that!

Oooohhhhh, that sounds like a marvelous idea!!!

Yeah, batteries wear down over time and I'm sure the rentals get a lot of mileage. They probably don't change them often enough thinking people won't notice, but we put a lot of mileage on these things.

Good point, I didn’t think of it like that.

Yeah, hopefully we will have lunch with them this summer the day before the cruise.

Excellent! So you’re flying in Thursday?

I don't regret doing the lunches, it's just that with all the scooter drama we had no time to get to the booths!

ANd that makes total sense. There just is never enough time to do all you want to is there?

I absolutely loved it in 2009 then I had it again in 2013 and it was still good. I went back in 2016 and it wasn't nearly as good as it was the two times before.

Sounds like some (bad) old fashioned complacency had set in.

Actually the glasses were not thimblesfull they were decent pours. They may look small, but I believe that they were 5oz pours each.

Okay, 5 oz isn't bad, but I guess I'm used to paying $6 for 6.

And did you? I'm curious if you liked it.

How is Fran feeling now? And... how are you? Did you manage to not get sick? :hug:

I was wondering the same thing.

Not yet. I had a pound of home made sausage meat that had to be used (in a Spaghetti Bolognese which (if I do say so myself) was amazingly good.)
But it's on the menu for tomorrow (have some gr beef that has to be used now. :)) followed by Alison's Chicken Tikka Masala.

:)

I'm joining! I "know" you from so many other TRs I follow, it's high time I made it over to one of your TRs! :thumbsup2 Happy to be here at last :goodvibes

I really liked that cheese tart! It was massive though and reasonably priced, so you know that will change!

Yeah we couldn't even finish it, the thing was so huge!

Wow, that was not a lot.

We found that between the special lunches and trying to check out Pandora our booth coverage suffered.

I can't believe that this was causing you issues, too.

Yeah, she needs to rent from the approved WDW scooter companies and not the cheapo ones.

That looks absolutely delicious. Maybe I should not have looked at this just before I am due to have my lunch.

:laughing: Isn't that always the problem?

I love a good Caipirinhia.

Me too. I haven't had one since then!

That was my absolute favourite when I last was there for the Food and Wine Festival.

I remember! You you got two or threee of them!

Dang. I hope I wouldn't be that guy!

Well we were almost willing to overlook the fact that multiple people not on the rental agreement had moved in, but the fact that loud arguments were being had, so loud that you could hear them from the street was the main reason we asked them to leave. The next door neighbor let us know it was going on.

Hmmm.... How do you feel about it being vacant for 6mos of the year?

Unfortunately that's how its been for the last 18 months for this unit. I hope to change that next week.

::yes:: But, tbh, I haven't even opened my mail in a day or two. I saw it in my inbox, though. Thanks! :)

Let me know when you make it!

Probably not!

This should be an interesting experience.

There are an unusually large amount of Vegan restaurants springing up around here. :crazy2:

I'm sure this will be a different experience than the Peg.

Thanks, Alison! Pine sounds interesting. I didn't know that.

There are a few times a year that they close down the street. The Race and NYE are two of them. There's a few "hot spots" around Long Beach. Pine is the heart of the Downtown area. Belmont Shore is on the East end, Thursday night well be dining at a restaurant in the Marina which is another popular area. They building a new huge cpmplex over there that will make the Marina area even more a draw.

Thanks for the tip!

Sometimes surface streets are more efficient than the freeways. My friend Jenny swears by them.

That’s a good idea! I’m in. And Mitchell would be sad if we didn’t spend a tiny bit of time there.

Yeah, I'm thinking perhaps 7:15 S55 dinner. That way we can have a little time in there before going over to dinner. Not sure about Friday. I'd want to see the 8:45 PTN show, so we'd have to be done with dinner before 8PM to head iver there. We'll figure it out!

I've not stayed at the Beach Club, but have used the entrance. There's no one there!

I'm going to be staying there again in a year!

Well.... poop.

You need to not be so picky! :laughing:

Heh. Reminds me of the joke about the bridge to Hawaii.

Well....I've never heard it!

You're taking all the fun out of this!

Thats me! Sucking out all the fun, one TR at a time! :lmao:

I'm curious about that. I have my own recipe for stroganoff which has a ton if sour cream, but its very different than most American stroganoffs.

I know.
And I do love that.

Still sad they got rid of that ride.
I wish they'd updated it instead of tearing it out.

I barely remember it, but i know that i did ride it. If they didn't get rid of the subs, they might have been able to bring it back, but when they did Nemo here Tony Baxter said thatbit woukd just be too costy for WDW to bring it back.

In other news... yours, I mean.
How is Fran feeling now?

She is better. But still coughing a lot. And very tired.

And... how are you? Did you manage to not get sick? :hug:

Yes i did manage to avoid her cold. A few days I wasn't sure, but i just kept popping Vitamin C.

Are we going to try for any FPs on our trip?

Karin mentioned something about Monday at DHS and TSL FP. I'm not interested in the parks for Sunday. We're having 9:30 breakfast at Olivias. I don't know when we'll do the potluck, but I'd rather do it kind of early meaning 4-5 PM not 7-8 PM.

Oooohhhhh, that sounds like a marvelous idea!!!

If you give me enough notice, I can make sure to save enough points. I am even banking some of my points this year.

Good point, I didn’t think of it like that.

She's been using scooters for 15 years now, so we're pretty familiar with them.

Excellent! So you’re flying in Thursday?

Yeah, we get in around 6PM. I'm thinking of having dinner in one of the lounges of a monorail resort.

ANd that makes total sense. There just is never enough time to do all you want to is there?

You have to go in knowing that and try to pick your activities without having too many expectations.

Sounds like some (bad) old fashioned complacency had set in.

Either that or my taste buds changed. That's entirely possible.

Okay, 5 oz isn't bad, but I guess I'm used to paying $6 for 6

Not at Disney! :rotfl2:

I want to know this recipe!

I was wondering the same thing.

I evaded the sickness. She is still fighting a coughand may well be doing so still when you guys are here.

Well we were almost willing to overlook the fact that multiple people not on the rental agreement had moved in, but the fact that loud arguments were being had, so loud that you could hear them from the street was the main reason we asked them to leave. The next door neighbor let us know it was going on.

Ugh... Just.... no.

Unfortunately that's how its been for the last 18 months for this unit. I hope to change that next week.

So that'd be a "no" then. :rolleyes1

Let me know when you make it!

Well, I was going to make it tonight, but I got tapped to work 16 hours today, so that's not gonna happen. Hoping for tomorrow.

There are an unusually large amount of Vegan restaurants springing up around here. :crazy2:

I'll maybe buy a hotdog and eat it outside one of them. Just for fun.

I'm sure this will be a different experience than the Peg.

Sometimes surface streets are more efficient than the freeways. My friend Jenny swears by them.

Okay! Thanks!

I'm going to be staying there again in a year!

nice!
Envious of you. I don't know when I'm even going to be back at the World, let alone staying someplace in particular.

You need to not be so picky! :laughing:

:laughing: I know what I like... and what I don't!

Well....I've never heard it!

God (or if you prefer, an all powerful Genie) tells a man that because of his piety that he can ask for one miracle to be performed.
The man thinks about it and says "God/Genie? I'm afraid to fly. Always have been. Could you build a bridge between North America and Hawaii? I've always wanted to visit it."
God/Genie says "I'm sorry, but there are some things that not even I can do. The depths of the ocean combined with the pressures. Not to mention the distance... all make this an impossible task. Please make another wish."
The man thinks for a while. Eventually he says "Well... truth be told... I just don't understand women. I just don't get them. Can you help me to understand them?"

And God/Genie says "So... this bridge. Two lanes or four?"

Thats me! Sucking out all the fun, one TR at a time! :lmao:

:rotfl:

I'm curious about that. I have my own recipe for stroganoff which has a ton if sour cream, but its very different than most American stroganoffs.

I wound up doing a very similar recipe but for the Instant Pot. I think the only difference was the use of beef broth.
I really don't care for traditional beef stroganoff with beef strips, but this is with ground. And I loved it! So did Kay.
You can find it here.

I barely remember it, but i know that i did ride it. If they didn't get rid of the subs, they might have been able to bring it back, but when they did Nemo here Tony Baxter said thatbit woukd just be too costy for WDW to bring it back.

I remember it. Loved it... although... I will admit even as a kid I found it cheesy. But I imagine what they could do with it. Ah well..

She is better. But still coughing a lot. And very tired.

Awww... :hug:

Yes i did manage to avoid her cold. A few days I wasn't sure, but i just kept popping Vitamin C.

Glad you're okay! :)

I miss Mitchell!

Jill in CO

I know he was so sweet, constantly refilling our glasses and bringing us cordials!

I'm joining! I "know" you from so many other TRs I follow, it's high time I made it over to one of your TRs! :thumbsup2 Happy to be here at last :goodvibes

:welcome:

You made it here just in time for the last update. But no fear! I'll have plenty of bonus features from trips to Disneyland until I start my next TR in September!

So that'd be a "no" then. :rolleyes1

Well, I was going to make it tonight, but I got tapped to work 16 hours today, so that's not gonna happen. Hoping for tomorrow.

I can see that. We're having Corned Beef and Cabbage tonight.

I'll maybe buy a hotdog and eat it outside one of them. Just for fun.

nice!
Envious of you. I don't know when I'm even going to be back at the World, let alone staying someplace in particular.

We took my parents in 2010. My Dad has asked a couple times when we're going back. We decided my Mom might enjoy the Flower and Garden Festival so we've been planning to take them in 2019 for a few years now. When they come down in a couple weeks, we will actually nail down what days so that I can book at the 11 month mark. Owning points at the Beach Club was my reasoning for Epcot's Festivals.

God (or if you prefer, an all powerful Genie) tells a man that because of his piety that he can ask for one miracle to be performed.
The man thinks about it and says "God/Genie? I'm afraid to fly. Always have been. Could you build a bridge between North America and Hawaii? I've always wanted to visit it."
God/Genie says "I'm sorry, but there are some things that not even I can do. The depths of the ocean combined with the pressures. Not to mention the distance... all make this an impossible task. Please make another wish."
The man thinks for a while. Eventually he says "Well... truth be told... I just don't understand women. I just don't get them. Can you help me to understand them?"

And God/Genie says "So... this bridge. Two lanes or four?"

:sad2: :rotfl2:

I wound up doing a very similar recipe but for the Instant Pot. I think the only difference was the use of beef broth.
I really don't care for traditional beef stroganoff with beef strips, but this is with ground. And I loved it! So did Kay.
You can find it here.

Interesting. That looks really good, but rather than calling it stroganoff, I would say that is more like a homemade Hamburger Helper. I bet Fran and I would like it. She loves Cream of Mushroom soup. I like noodles. I'll get that pot out and put that on the dinner rotation for next week sometime.

This is my recipe. Evidently noodles are not traditional in regular stroganof and it is supposed to served over potato straws. We just eat ours as is and have green beans on the side.

q18IRL0318BS01.jpg

That sounds great! We are in. Michael loves S55!

I'll make the reservation soon!

I can see that. We're having Corned Beef and Cabbage tonight.

Interesting combination.

We took my parents in 2010. My Dad has asked a couple times when we're going back. We decided my Mom might enjoy the Flower and Garden Festival so we've been planning to take them in 2019 for a few years now. When they come down in a couple weeks, we will actually nail down what days so that I can book at the 11 month mark. Owning points at the Beach Club was my reasoning for Epcot's Festivals.

Very nice! I'm sure your mom will enjoy that!

Sorry!

Interesting. That looks really good, but rather than calling it stroganoff, I would say that is more like a homemade Hamburger Helper. I bet Fran and I would like it. She loves Cream of Mushroom soup. I like noodles. I'll get that pot out and put that on the dinner rotation for next week sometime.

Let me know what you think. Simple, but.... I really liked it. :)

Which shocked the heck out of me!

Evidently noodles are not traditional in regular stroganof

What??? Really!

and it is supposed to served over potato straws

Huh! Had no idea.

Might have to try that too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!