The "Save My Sanity" Dining Report, Oct 7-12

Maleficent13

<font color=blue>Heh Heh, you're all gonna die<br>
The Players:

Mal: me
LocaBelle: my best bud

Day One: we are not breakfast people, so we start each day with an early lunch. Today we were at the MK, so we went to Columbia Harbour House. It was 11am and there was only a minimal line. I ordered the Captain's Special (fish and chicken strips) and she had all fish. Fries and cokes completed the order and we headed upstairs to the room overlooking the HM queue.

Food was hot and good...and I don't what it is, but Cokes at Disney taste better than Cokes anywhere else. All in all, filling, not too expensive, and pleasant.

Ice cream cone break about 2pm. I had mint chocolate chip and Loca had cookie swirl. We decided that for cones, you needed ice cream with no chunks. It takes too long to chew them when you’re trying to keep up with a dripping cone!!

For dinner we ended up at Planet Hollywood. It was a spur of the moment decision. We had a short wait (15 minutes) and then were seated. I ordered the club sandwich and Loca had a pasta dish. My sandwich was good (but no cheese). I don't think Loca was too impressed with her pasta, but they were filling. We couldn't wait to get out of there, though, as it was late, we were tired, and it was VERY noisy.

Day Two: Started with early lunch at Beaches and Cream. We were there when the doors opened at 11am. Both of us ordered cheeseburgers and fries. Loca had a chocolate shake and I had a lime rickey. My lime rickey came out tasting mostly of seltzer, so the waitress remade it and it was perfect. The cheeseburgers were huge and incredibly good. Loca said it was a very tasty shake as well. Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert!

Dinner was at Olivia's at OKW. We’d had a huge day at Epcot and we were headed to Jellyroll’s for the evening. I wanted a relaxing dinner, and I love Olivia’s (OK is my home DVC). We got there and were seated right away. After some deliberation at the menu, Loca and I both ordered the shrimp Alfredo. She was a bit trepidacious, as she didn’t know if she would care for shrimp. I eased her mind by assuring her that I would be happy to eat it for her if it turned out she didn’t like it. Luckily, she did! It was hot and very good. We stuffed ourselves. The only complaint I had was that the wait staff seemed not to concerned with the guests. But since we weren’t in a hurry, it didn’t bother us too much. I think the first game of the Yankees/Red Sox game was on, as the men in the restaurant kept leaving their tables to check out the Gurgling Suitcase TV!

Day Three: This was a “day off” for us, so we headed over to the Grand Floridian for lunch. I like eating at the GF Café. We both ordered the “Grand Sandwich”, which was an open faced club sandwich with ham, turkey, tomatoes, and a cheese sauce over foccia bread. It was garnished with onion straws and came with fries. It was huge and delicious. Our waiter was very attentive, and the whole experience was great. Although apparently one of us must have looked like a bride staying there, because as we were entering the hostess called to us “Good luck with your wedding this afternoon”! We thanked her and continued on!

A brief afternoon stop at Tambu Lounge where we indulged in Blue Hawaiians and Kahlua and Creams!

Dinner was at Rainforest Café. We were at DD shopping, and decided to see if we could get into RC early. At 5:30pm, it was an hour and a half wait for inside, or immediate seating on the deck. We took the deck and ordered a pasta dish with Italian sausage and a pizza, which we shared. The food was not exemplary, but it was acceptable. The one notable exception was the salad dressing I had, which the waitress said was a balsamic vingarette, but was the consistency of a thick mustard. It was, however, delicious! The deck seating was very pleasant, and we were visited by a turtle who swam up and watched us for several minutes.

Day Four:

We started at MK today, and headed to the Plaza at about 11:30. There was no wait, and we sat at a small table next to the window. I love this little, sunny restaurant. I told Loca about the time (approx. 20 years ago) when the waitress had dumped a hot fudge sundae on my mom’s head. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. I ordered the club sandwich and Loca had the turkey sandwich (both with fries). After they arrived, we realized we should have shared one; they were huge. Surprisingly enough, however, we both made a pretty good dent! They were excellent. Only bad part was no room for ice cream (we made up for that later!).

Dinner was up in the air, so Loca and I decided to try someplace I had read about on the board but never experienced: the Whispering Canyon Café. We went about 5:30, and were seated right away in Bobby the Kid’s section. This was by far the most fun meal of the trip. This place is a hoot. I can’t do it justice, but I loved the interaction between the wait staff and the kids. Loca and I, being staid old adults, were not really part of the action but we had a blast watching. I also liked how one little girl near us was very shy, and Bobby the Kid made sure she wasn’t left out without embarrassing her. They had hula-hoop competitions and a pony race just as we were leaving. Oh yeah, the food. I ordered the steak, which came with killer onion rings and mashed potatoes. My steak was cooked perfectly. Loca had a chicken pasta that was excellent. We were stuffed when we left, and our cheeks hurt from laughing so much. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, even those without kids.

We ended the evening with hot fudge sundaes from the ice cream shop on Main Street, USA.

Day Five:

Lunch was at Catalina Eddie’s at MGM. Neither one of us was impressed with our pizza. Definitely not a repeat place for us. I’ll stick to the footlongs at Toluca Leg Turkey Co. from now on!

Dinner was all over WS at Epcot. Food and Wine Festival was in full effect. We tried items from China, Ireland, Eastern Europe, Italy, UK and France. We also tried to see the Beach Boys, but I could not believe the line!! Loved the chocolate mousse from Italy. That was a definite winner!

Ended up the night packing for our return trip home, and I was peckish. So we headed down to the ASMu food court and I got a grilled cheese and fries. It was made to order and very good. Just enough to hit the spot.

Thus ends our vaca! Thanks for reading!

You made me hungry, Mal! Thanks for the report. I'm really wanting to try Whispering Canyon on our next trip. How long does it take to get there from MK?

We drove to the Wilderness Lodge from our hotel (we took a break mid-day). We decided just to leave the car there and catch a bus to MK, but funny thing is, the bus doesn't go to MK from Wilderness Lodge. You have to go to the TTC and catch the monorail. The whole trip only took about 20 minutes though. I think they have a direct ferry from WL to MK, but we didn't think to look for it at the time. :rolleyes: :p

Oh, that's good to know! I'll try to find the ferry then--we've never been to WL and I'm excited to see it decorated for Christmas.

Thanks so much!
Amy

I fell in love with the Grand sandwich at the GF - we got it room service several times on our last trip.

Thanks for the report - we are going to stop at the GF Cafe just for that sandwich this trip.

Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter