The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Wendy98

Wendy98 Mouseketeer

For the 2nd time this week, I stupidly started a longish run at 10:30 am. While the heat is bad enough, it's that blazing sun which does me in. I had to pull back the pace or risk heatstroke--it was 84 for most of the run and so, so humid. 14 miles @ 7:17 avg. Also, for the first time ever, I now have a hand held water bottle. Water was gone within the first mile because I suck at screwing lids on properly. Thank god there are fountains on this route and I could refill.

On another note, I have never loved air conditioning more than I do right now.

2. Sailormoon2

Sailormoon2 DIS Veteran

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. OldSlowGoofyGuy

OldSlowGoofyGuy DIS Veteran

Congrats! Love the Bobblehead Fireman! One of our local races has the same one; missed one by 4 seconds the first year. Snagged one the 2nd year.

Sounds like its setting up to be quite the Sunday: admiring your bling while snacking on fritters! Have a good one!

sourire, DopeyBadger and mrsg00fy like this.
  5. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Thanks!

Thanks! So you can feel my pain over the last year remembering being out kicked and losing out on the trophy! I was NOT going to be denied this year. Turns out the doughnut shop is closed tomorrow morning, but don't worry we just snagged two early. Mmmmmm.... But of course we "pretended" it was tomorrow with pics, so ummm..... I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to post about it. I've said too much! :scared:

6. KingLlama

KingLlama My car finished 3rd on Radiator Springs Racers.

RACE RECAP: I did it.

7. OldSlowGoofyGuy

OldSlowGoofyGuy DIS Veteran

Congrats KingLlama! That's a big step getting your first race behind you.

KingLlama likes this.
  8. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

Yay!! Well done, Llama! Congrats on finishing your first race!

KingLlama likes this.
  9. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

Happy Father's Day to all the dads on the board! May all your kids run with you today!

10. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Happy Father's Day!

IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0809.JPG

11. PaDisneyCouple

PaDisneyCouple DIS Veteran

Mrs. PADC here... I don't come on here much but decided to pop on.
    Wow, those are huge apple fritters! when I first saw them I thought there were huge hamburgers! (post run brain).
    Then I found the previous post where you talked about the huge apple fritters. did you finish them yet?

12. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Lol! I plead the fifth! ;) :D

13. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

DopeyBadger likes this.
  14. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

Seacoast Half Marathon Report: I was going for a 1:40 this weekend. It was 70 degrees and comfortable at the beach, and I started out well, 7:45 miles and feeling strong and very comfortable. Unfortunately, as we got about 1/2 mile from the beach a blanket of suffocating humidity descended on us. I was surprised how abrupt the transition was - like someone suddenly switched off the AC. I think I'm average at handling heat and humidity, but today it devastated me... at mile 6 I could feel my face flush and my breathing rate increase in a way that wasn't right. So I backed off, and it was a good thing too, because I ended up walking thru the water stations and taking several additional walk breaks as well, in addition to slowing my running pace down to about 8:50ish. On the way back, nearing the beach, the humidity switched off so quickly I thought we must have run by the open door of an air conditioned building (really). I managed to run across the finish line in 1:52, and felt a little sick for a while after the race. I'm OK now. The humidity clearly affected the other runners as well, but today for someone reason I couldn't handle it at all.

Oh well, on to the next one. Running these distances are taxing to the extent that you have to accept that some days your body just isn't up to the challenge. Happy Father's day everyone!

Now sitting on the couch, watching U.S Open golf, and eating chocolate cake.

opusone, cburnett11, sourire and 12 others like this.
  15. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

If anyone is interested, I just posted my justification and explanation of my upcoming marathon training plan in my training journal (link). The goal is a sub-3 hour marathon and a Boston Qualifier. It is a VERY detailed post and can be applicable to everyone at all levels and goals. So dive right in if you'd like to see how I come up with my custom training plans (to be fair though I spent a great deal more time on this one than any plan I've written before including my own).

Thanks!

Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate! Glad to see you came ok though. Better results are in the future. Cheers to the cake!

16. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and to those who survived the heat, humidity, and giant pastries!

rteetz and DopeyBadger like this.
  17. Anisum

Anisum DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your race! Which was better, the race or the delicious looking apple fritters?

DopeyBadger likes this.
  18. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Tough one. Honestly, I've been looking forward to both of them for the last year. So, a tie? :D

19. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

YIJE L'Chaim 5K: Race Report
    This is my synagogue's annual 5K, which they've been doing for the past 16 years (man, I feel old), but this is the first year I've run it.
    Fun Fact: I actually volunteered the first year they did the race. I was one of the people directing runners on the course. I needed community service hours for school. (In the three years I went to that school, I'm pretty sure those were the only community service hours I did)

I was planning to run this one alone, then head home and quick shower before heading out to a minor league baseball game in CT for father's day, but when we went to pick up my bib and t-shirt, I convinced my sister Beth to sign up and run (original plan was just for her to grab my t-shirt and take it home for me ... I'm guessing she may have regretted that idea :)). I was expecting a cotton shirt, but it was actually a tech shirt, which was a nice surprise!

In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the opening ceremonies (which really had no value other than political commentary) and gone early to the start line, which was about two blocks away. But it was fine, I just walked to the start with the masses and got there before the start (which was late, but that's not at all surprising considering who was running the event and how many people spoke at the opening ceremony). The late start was really only the negative thing I could say about how the race was run. The course itself was marked off decently, and the race volunteers were super helpful in making sure we went where we were supposed to go. The race was on local streets which I think were technically open to cars, but there were cops (and race volunteers) there making sure that the cars stopped and waited for runners to go past. It was definitely run better than I thought it would be.

The race had a lot of walkers, which wasn't surprising, but since it was more of a community event than a race, the walkers tended to be all over the place, not towards the back like you find in some other races. However, as a runner, I found that the walkers were respectful to me and didn't get in my way (except for that one kid ... but he was like 5 and I don't think he wanted me to pass him, so I'll allow it), and I tried not to get in their way. There was definitely a lot of respect for the other participants, which I think is also in part because most of the people there were our friends and neighbors. It was a nice atmosphere.

I actually struggled a lot during the race, mostly because of the humidity, and a little bit because of the hills. I had planned to do the whole race with no walk breaks, but I just felt like I couldn't do it and ended up talking a walk break at 1.5 miles, a water break at 2 miles, and a jelly bean break at 2.5 miles. Definitely not the race I was hoping for, but I think I did okay considering the conditions.

Official time was 33:10 (that's from the start of the race ... there was no timing mat at the beginning so all they had was gun time), and my Garmin had me at 32:59. I probably should have hustled to make up those 11 seconds and get in under 33 on the clock, but I was kinda gassed at the end. I'm happy with my time (and it's a 5K race distance PR ... although I did have a faster 5K split during my half a few weeks ago). Exceeded my time goal by quite a bit (I was hoping for 35-38, depending on conditions and if I stopped to talk to volunteers ... conditions were terrible, but I didn't stop to talk to anyone - I did my socializing before and after the race).
    I came in 84th overall (like I said, a lot of walkers), 25th female, and 2nd in my age group (there were 4 people in my age group). I don't know if I was supposed to get some age group trophy, since I didn't stick around for the awards (note the aforementioned baseball game), but I assume that if there's a trophy for me somewhere, someone might tell me. I do know all of the race organizers.
    (Beth came in around 42 minutes, 145th overall, 3rd in our age group)

Would I do this race again? Maybe, but it would probably be a day-of decision. It was a decent race, but it kinda had an effect on my plans for the day, which bugged me a bit, so I think next time I'd make plans for the day and then sign up for the race only if it didn't interfere with those plans.
    Would I recommend it for others? Probably not. It's really even more of a community thing than I thought it would be, and I feel like people from outside my community might feel out of place. However, if you happen to know someone from my community and they invite you to do it, I'd say go for it.

opusone, JClimacus, sourire and 14 others like this.
  20. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

QOTD: Which weather condition do you think has the most negative effect on a run? Could be temps (hot/cold) wind, rain, snow, dew point, humidity, ect.

ATTQOTD: I would have to say hot days are the worse! We nearly always have a high RH% number, but when its warm outside the RH% just makes it that much worse.

21. Anisum

Anisum DIS Veteran

Thunder Storms! They prevent me from running outside. Barring those I think the humidity. Today the 85% humidity made 76F feel like 84F according to my phone.

LSUlakes, PrincessV and roxymama like this.