The Ohana that you choose - June 26 to July 1

sarahk0204

DIS Veteran
Aloha! We just got back from our first Aulani trip. We traveled with another family, and each family stayed 5 nights in a 1 BR Ocean View.

21462761_1668070699883439_1385319193914214292_n.jpg

Front row is me, Friends DD 16, Friends DW.

Back row is DH, DS 13, Friends DH, Friends DD 13, DD 13.

The DH's have been friends since college, where they were both RA's (Resident Assistants). Both DW's grew up going to WDW. The 2 couples got married 9 months apart (with the DH's being in each other's weddings), and we each honeymooned at WDW. Our kids get along well, and we have had overlapping WDW trips since 2009. Both families bought DVC in 2010, and we actually traveled together to WDW in 2013. Both families have done trips with their respective grandparents, but we have actually found we like traveling together even better than we like traveling with Grandma. :rotfl:

Friends DW looked at Aulani when it first opened, but there were some early growing pains with food options and restaurant quality, so we held off. Then we started looking at a trip we could take in 2017 when we would have all teenagers. A cruise or Aulani both sounded like they would work well for our group. Unfortunately, we don't know our summer schedules early enough to book a cruise at the lowest price time when itineraries are first announced. Booking Aulani at 7 months was much more doable.

Friends DH picked the time frame, as he has the most rigid work schedule and sports officiating schedule. We were short on points, as we had just taken Grandma to DLR in 2016 and stayed in a 2 BR at VGC. So, we needed to buy some 1 time use points to get 5 days in an Ocean view 1 BR. Friends booked online as DH booked over the phone, and we linked our reservations with Member Services right away.

We planned like crazy for the next 7 months. The DW's researched flights, cars, grocery stores, restaurants, and activities.

Last edited:
Monday June 26

We flew out of Chicago on United direct to Honolulu. We stayed Sunday night in the same park/sleep/fly hotel we used last year for California. Our friends stayed with grandparents who live near the airport, and we all met up in the terminal. Part of our extensive planning was getting TSA PreCheck for everyone. This took some work, but was awesome in the end. All the 13 year olds ended up getting state ID's (so a trip to the DMV/Secreatry of State's office), and each family had to go to an official location in their town to be fingerprinted. TSA PreCheck costs $85 per person, but the short line without pulling out your quart bag or removing your shoes was so worth it.

None of us had ever been to Hawaii, but our Friends DH's parents have been several times and gave him lots of advice. Our direct flight to Honolulu was first class! :cool1: We had the parents in the 4 middle seats in 1 row with the 4 kids in the 4 middle seats behind them. We enjoyed a full breakfast, full lunch, snacks, and beverages. The seats reclined and even folded flat. Everyone watched movies on the built in screens (I saw Hidden Figures and A Man Called Ove). I read some on my iPad and listened to my Aulani and Moana playlists. With so much to do, the flight was long but doable.

Monday June 26 (continued)

When we landed in the mid afternoon, we noticed the outside terminals and the beautiful scenery.

19875351_1605725459451297_4690153480887666167_n.jpg

19894884_1605725549451288_5849687561463641255_n.jpg

I don't think we are in the Midwest anymore! :goodvibes

Since our friends actually had lost some luggage on a WDW trip (which necessitated buying replacement clothing in the resort gift shop), they (and by association we) only fly with carry ons. With no baggage claim needed, our next step was finding the car rental counter. We wanted an onsite company, and both families ended up going with National. We were preregistered, so off to the Emerald Aisle! We had both reserved midsize cars, and we ended up with matching Honda CRV's.

19884505_1605808132776363_3222245341817452572_n.jpg

Last edited:
Monday June 26 (continued)

We knew that we were going to have to do some cooking in the room. We do quite a bit of this on our Disney trips, but our friends usually do not, as Friends DW considers a vacation to be a vacation from cooking. While both families eat breakfast, our friends don't eat cereal or granola bars. So, we needed to stock up on things like eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancake mix.

Everyone who goes to Aulani sings the praises of Costco and Target. That's fine, except we are not Costco members. (Neither family has one in their town.) However, they do have Sam's Club on Oahu, and we are both members. So, our matching CRV's caravanned to Pearl City, HI to stop at Sam's Club and Walmart.

o.jpg

This is the lovely underground parking (thank you, Yelp!) Of course, the GPS only directs you to the street entrance to the above ground parking. It took a little bit for A) DH to believe that I knew where I was going and B) find the entrance ramp to the underground parking. Since space is at a premium, parking like this is fairly common, apparently. No room for urban sprawl here:rotfl:

After Sam's Club and Walmart (which was thankfully above ground) we made our way across the island to Aulani!

So glad you are continuing your trip report! Excited to read about your Aulani arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter