*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Does anyone send a newsletter to their family updating them on the progress of the trip plans, reminders of what to pack, interesting facts, their itinerary, quizzes on what restaurants everyone wants to dine at, etc? I would like to do that monthly for our trip planned in August 2018. Any ideas on a template and things I should include in each newsletter? Thank you!

Does anyone send a newsletter to their family updating them on the progress of the trip plans, reminders of what to pack, interesting facts, their itinerary, quizzes on what restaurants everyone wants to dine at, etc? I would like to do that monthly for our trip planned in August 2018. Any ideas on a template and things I should include in each newsletter? Thank you!

An opt out...I'm driving my husband bonkers with the planning :)

But seriously, I only emailed the details on the ADRs I booked and will probably email the fastpass update once we get to March (but I see the rest of the travel party every week to every other week)

An opt out...I'm driving my husband bonkers with the planning :)

But seriously, I only emailed the details on the ADRs I booked and will probably email the fastpass update once we get to March (but I see the rest of the travel party every week to every other week)

An Opt Out!!! :rotfl:
There is no way I can let them opt out! Then who will I unleash my excitement on?! I have spread the joy... :banana:

Happy to be joining you!!!

Hoping to book within the next few weeks.

August 9-18 are our vacation dates -- staying at Pop Century!

We LOVE going in August!! I think this will be our 5th August vacation in a row!

Last edited:
Happy to be joining you!!!

Hoping to book within the next few weeks.

August 4-19 are our vacation dates -- staying at Pop Century (August 6-18)

We LOVE going in August!! I think this will be our 5th August vacation in a row!
A familiar face for August planning indeed!

Booked a bounce back when we were there in September 2017! DH, DD (11), DD(7), DD(2) and myself. Also bringing my nephew (10) who we just got custody of for his first trip. Staying at AKL. We were at Jambo in September but staying in Kidani for August. We have been in spring twice, September once, but this is our first summer trip! Very excited!

August 1-9
AKL Kindani Village

December, and 2017 are quickly drawing to a close. Very shortly we will all be able to say our next vacation is THIS year!

In addition, with January being just over a week away, our 180 day marks are getting closer, and that means it will be time to make our ADR's before you know it.

With that thought in mind, I have a reminder, and a question.

First, the reminder, make sure you've figured out when your 180 day mark is. Use an online calculator, or count on the calendar carefully, and then make a note of it. I wouldn't want anyone missing their 180 day mark.

Second, the question . . . what ADR's are you all most looking forward to getting? Old favorites? New places that you are looking forward to trying?

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's answers. I'll post mine shortly!

Add me to the list! We are heading down Aug 21-30, staying at AKV with rented DVC points!

We were voluntarily bumped from our flight home this past August when we were coming home from Disneyland and we each got $1000 Delta voucher. We had planned on using them to pay for an all inclusive in Cancun over March break but I found out that it could only be used for flights.

The flights from where we live on the west coast of Canada to Cancun are just terrible so we decided to just pay oop for Mexico and get good flights. The vouchers have to be used by Aug 31, 2018 so DH said I should just look at flights to WDW.

It turns out that we can fly first class round trip to MCO for less than each of our vouchers! We never fly first class so I though why not!?!

The only other time we have been to WDW, we rented DVC points and we stayed at AKV and loved it so that is what we are doing again!

I’m really not sure how it worked out but we went from taking a flight home that was a few hours later than planned and ended up with us going to Cancun in March and WDW in August!

Last edited:
Working on our ADR list now, and we're keeping it small. I know HDDR is on there, we can't wait!! DD11 and I have never been there and DBF ate there 31 years ago as a kid :eek:

I keep going back and forth on 'Ohana for dinner, none of us have been there. The reviews are so up and down, i don't know if it's worth the money and DD11 is a picky eater. Any thoughts or opinions on 'Ohana would be welcome.

We're also looking forward to Akershus (breakfast) and 50's Prime Time, DD11 and I love them, DBF has never been so that will be fun :):)

Working on our ADR list now, and we're keeping it small. I know HDDR is on there, we can't wait!! DD11 and I have never been there and DBF ate there 31 years ago as a kid :eek:

I keep going back and forth on 'Ohana for dinner, none of us have been there. The reviews are so up and down, i don't know if it's worth the money and DD11 is a picky eater. Any thoughts or opinions on 'Ohana would be welcome.

We're also looking forward to Akershus (breakfast) and 50's Prime Time, DD11 and I love them, DBF has never been so that will be fun :):)

We've never done HDDR, so I am looking forward to a review from you :)

'Ohana is one of our favorite places to eat. We have dinner there every year. DW is quite picky about food. I'm a bit better, but still pretty picky. We both enjoy our meal there. Honestly, we've never had a meal we would say was bad. Sometimes it is a better experience than others, but never a bad experience. They have a wide variety of food there, so there should be something for everyone. I would certainly give it a try.

Akershus we've never done. 50's Prime Time we have done maybe 3 times, all good experiences. Food is good, not great, but the server can absolutely make the experience there.

December, and 2017 are quickly drawing to a close. Very shortly we will all be able to say our next vacation is THIS year!

In addition, with January being just over a week away, our 180 day marks are getting closer, and that means it will be time to make our ADR's before you know it.

With that thought in mind, I have a reminder, and a question.

First, the reminder, make sure you've figured out when your 180 day mark is. Use an online calculator, or count on the calendar carefully, and then make a note of it. I wouldn't want anyone missing their 180 day mark.

Second, the question . . . what ADR's are you all most looking forward to getting? Old favorites? New places that you are looking forward to trying?

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's answers. I'll post mine shortly!

Here is our ADR plan / list - our 180 day mark is February 8th (the same morning that Southwest opens up their flight schedule - gonna be a busy
morning!:faint: )

1st 10 days at PORS - free dining bounceback (we upgraded to the regular dining plan)
Although my DD's are 18 and 16, they love character meals.

BOG- breakfast, lunch and dinner
*great value IMO for breakfast and lunch quick service credits
Crystal Palace - lunch *** CP is a must do for us every year- we usually do breakfast thoughpooh::tigger::eeyore:
'Ohana- dinner - only did this once before and liked it ok; giving it another shot and hope we love it this time.
50's Prime Time- dinner ***my dad, 75, absolutely loves this restaurant! He always requests eating here for the atmosphere. He also loves the fried chicken while I like the chicken pot pie and pb&j milk shake :cloud9:
Garden Grill- breakfast- really good food and service the last time we were there
1900 Park Fare- late breakfast / brunch- we like the character interactions here
Rainforest Cafe- dinner ***Landry card credits
Le Cellier- dinner ***must do for oldest DD
Trails End- dinner ***love the comfort food here
Chef Mickey's - ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:donald::goofy:pluto:dinner ***I know it doesn't get much love on the Disboards, but we always enjoy it. It 'screams Disney' to our family.
The only one that we are not going to that we really want to get to is Liberty Tree Tavern. We have never eaten here and really want to try the Coloney salad and the Ooey Gooey dessert, but just can't ever seem to fit it in!

Last 4 days at Beach Club (first time at Club Level, no dining plan)
***will use lounge for breakfast and appetizers; plan on walking into Epcot each day for 'snacks / quick service meals' such as UK Fish and Chips; France Bakery
ESPN for a couple of meals. We are sports fans and enjoy watching a ball game at our table while eating pub food. We will do this for a couple of dinners.

I'm not sure if we will make ADRs this time. Maybe one character meal at GF. It's just me and the kids this time, and I realize I select the restaurants to find something DH will enjoy.

We may resort hop to Trader Sam's and the Territory Lounge; they are pretty low key and relaxing and have, IMO, good food.

Here is our ADR plan / list - our 180 day mark is February 8th (the same morning that Southwest opens up their flight schedule - gonna be a busy
morning!:faint: )

1st 10 days at PORS - free dining bounceback (we upgraded to the regular dining plan)
Although my DD's are 18 and 16, they love character meals.

BOG- breakfast, lunch and dinner
*great value IMO for breakfast and lunch quick service credits
Crystal Palace - lunch *** CP is a must do for us every year- we usually do breakfast thoughpooh::tigger::eeyore:
'Ohana- dinner - only did this once before and liked it ok; giving it another shot and hope we love it this time.
50's Prime Time- dinner ***my dad, 75, absolutely loves this restaurant! He always requests eating here for the atmosphere. He also loves the fried chicken while I like the chicken pot pie and pb&j milk shake :cloud9:
Garden Grill- breakfast- really good food and service the last time we were there
1900 Park Fare- late breakfast / brunch- we like the character interactions here
Rainforest Cafe- dinner ***Landry card credits
Le Cellier- dinner ***must do for oldest DD
Trails End- dinner ***love the comfort food here
Chef Mickey's - ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:donald::goofy:pluto:dinner ***I know it doesn't get much love on the Disboards, but we always enjoy it. It 'screams Disney' to our family.
The only one that we are not going to that we really want to get to is Liberty Tree Tavern. We have never eaten here and really want to try the Coloney salad and the Ooey Gooey dessert, but just can't ever seem to fit it in!

Last 4 days at Beach Club (first time at Club Level, no dining plan)
***will use lounge for breakfast and appetizers; plan on walking into Epcot each day for 'snacks / quick service meals' such as UK Fish and Chips; France Bakery
ESPN for a couple of meals. We are sports fans and enjoy watching a ball game at our table while eating pub food. We will do this for a couple of dinners.

Nice list. We aren't that far along in the planning stage, but then we don't make our ADR's until later in February.

BOG I've only been to once, for lunch, and no one in our family was really thrilled with the food, though the atmosphere was amazing.

We've don Crystal Palace both for breakfast (every year) and for supper a couple of times. I prefer the breakfast there, supper is just ok, not great in my opinion.

Love supper at 'Ohana. 50's Prime Time is a favorite.

I've never done Garden Grill for breakfast, only for lunch. 1900 Park Fare we do for breakfast every visit, as DD is a HUGE Mad Hatter fan. Rainforest Cafe we usually do every other trip, alternating with T-Rex as the food is basically the same in both locations.

We've only don Le Cellier one time. DS and I enjoyed it, DW hated it :( She doesn't like steak at all, and didn't agree with the pricing / 2 TS credit cost.

Trails End, another place we've never tried . .

I'm not sure if we will make ADRs this time. Maybe one character meal at GF. It's just me and the kids this time, and I realize I select the restaurants to find something DH will enjoy.

We may resort hop to Trader Sam's and the Territory Lounge; they are pretty low key and relaxing and have, IMO, good food.

Probably no ADR's for us. We're pretty happy with the freedom that quick service brings. :)

Yup, our plan last summer . . . just one or two TS, as money was going to be a bit tight . .. well, that didn't work out exactly like I planned it hahahaha. Good thing I managed to come up with more money than I expected, because we wound up with 10 ADR's, plus an unplanned lunch at Rainforest Cafe' on our last day, as well as a lunch at Caribbean Jacks in Daytona, and supper at Bahama Breeze on I Drive.

I'm not even going to pretend that we will limit our ADR's this year.

Nice list. We aren't that far along in the planning stage, but then we don't make our ADR's until later in February.

BOG I've only been to once, for lunch, and no one in our family was really thrilled with the food, though the atmosphere was amazing.

We've don Crystal Palace both for breakfast (every year) and for supper a couple of times. I prefer the breakfast there, supper is just ok, not great in my opinion.

Love supper at 'Ohana. 50's Prime Time is a favorite.

I've never done Garden Grill for breakfast, only for lunch. 1900 Park Fare we do for breakfast every visit, as DD is a HUGE Mad Hatter fan. Rainforest Cafe we usually do every other trip, alternating with T-Rex as the food is basically the same in both locations.

We've only don Le Cellier one time. DS and I enjoyed it, DW hated it :( She doesn't like steak at all, and didn't agree with the pricing / 2 TS credit cost.

Trails End, another place we've never tried . .

DH and oldest DD love BOG lunch (braised pork is their go to meal)- youngest DD and I like the soup. So, we only use 2qs credits and 2 snack credits here. At breakfast, we share a couple of meals/fruit/pastry and get in the park early, so we count that as part of the meal/bonus.
Hope that we love 'Ohana more this time. The only other time we went they weren't serving salad (didn't love the lettuce wraps they had in place of salad), but I believe the salad is back.
Le Cellier is not my favourite, but I do like the soup (I'm not a steak fan either). Being Canadian, my kids love going in and meeting the Canadian CM's there / practicing their French. Plus they love steak. I don't think it should be 2 credits either, but will do it once a trip. Sometimes we just go for the poutine/soup for a lunch and pay OOP. We used to alternate T-Rex/Rainforest as well, but when we go to Disney Springs we love Wolfgang Puck Express and feel like we get so much value for our quick service credits there- it's one of the reasons we love the Port Orlean resorts (boat to DS for great meals).
We tried Trails End for the first time a couple of trips ago... now it's become a must do.
Might try to get to HDDR as well... so much fun and we haven't gone in a couple of years!

Last year we did the QS meal plan for the first time. It was great because we were only there for 7 days and it gave us more park time. This year we are going to be there 2 weeks and I think we will want more sit down meals (one a day).

DH and oldest DD love BOG lunch (braised pork is their go to meal)- youngest DD and I like the soup. So, we only use 2qs credits and 2 snack credits here. At breakfast, we share a couple of meals/fruit/pastry and get in the park early, so we count that as part of the meal/bonus.
Hope that we love 'Ohana more this time. The only other time we went they weren't serving salad (didn't love the lettuce wraps they had in place of salad), but I believe the salad is back.
Le Cellier is not my favourite, but I do like the soup (I'm not a steak fan either). Being Canadian, my kids love going in and meeting the Canadian CM's there / practicing their French. Plus they love steak. I don't think it should be 2 credits either, but will do it once a trip. Sometimes we just go for the poutine/soup for a lunch and pay OOP. We used to alternate T-Rex/Rainforest as well, but when we go to Disney Springs we love Wolfgang Puck Express and feel like we get so much value for our quick service credits there- it's one of the reasons we love the Port Orlean resorts (boat to DS for great meals).
We tried Trails End for the first time a couple of trips ago... now it's become a must do.
Might try to get to HDDR as well... so much fun and we haven't gone in a couple of years!

Last year we did the QS meal plan for the first time. It was great because we were only there for 7 days and it gave us more park time. This year we are going to be there 2 weeks and I think we will want more sit down meals (one a day).

I've never had the lettuce wraps at 'Ohana, it has always been the salad when we have gone, but to be honest, that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me anyway, as the salad isn't a real important part of the meal for me. I really enjoy the pot stickers, noodles, wings, and the meat.

I enjoyed Le Cellier quite a bit, it just doesn't do it for the wife, so that's that lol.

Disney Springs, there are SO many options now. The only reason we wound up doing Rainforest this year was because we made a last minute decision to visit on our last day, instead of just getting on the road, we went and spent a couple of hours at Disney Springs (guess I wasn't really ready to leave lol) and decided spur of the moment to grab lunch. We tried D-Luxe burger this year, and it was very good. The Polite Pig looks pretty good too, and we've yet to try Art Smith's Homecoming, plus I'm really looking forward to trying The Edison.

We used to stay at Port Orleans Riverside every year, for the lush landscaping at Alligator Bayou, and for the nice boat ride to Disney Springs. The last couple of years our family has been bigger though, so we have opted for renting a vacation home off property.

As a result of staying off property, we no longer have a dining plan, so everything is OOP. We buy Disney gift cards from Sam's Club at a discount, and then use them to pay for our dining. I think this year we are going to get one AP as well (we'll travel end of August this year, and beginning of August next year so we can use it for two trips) and take advantage of the free parking, and dining discounts to save a bit more.

We always stay for 11 or 12 days, and pretty much wind up with one ADR nearly every day. That sit down meal is out break time. We take our time, enjoy our meal, and use that opportunity to cool off, and re-hydrate in place of taking a mid day resort break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!