The Numbers Unspun

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Having now had the chance to watch the camels dance about the quarterly results, it seems clear that Management is trying very hard to blame everything on the parks – both last quarter and the next quarter. While this is a very good set-up for the formal execution of Paul Pressler, it covers-up the most important fact about Disney financials.

ABC is sinking Disney – not the parks.

Look at the result so far this fiscal year (totaling nine months). Disney’s profits are down $1.1 billion dollars. The Media Networks group account for 52% of that drop, the parks only account for 31%.

The income from Networks dropped $571 million dollars. What’s even more astounding is that their revenue only dropped $96 million. That means expenses are skyrocking even while revenues show a slight downturn. It seems that other divisions are being hit witht eh budget ax, but Media continues to spend like nothing' amiss.

Dig real deep into the financial reports, Disney’s Broadcast properties (the ABC Network and Disney-owned television stations) are now reporting a $13 million LOSS for the year. Last year, that same group had a $696 million profit. That single turnaround accounts for the vast majority of Disney’s financial downturn and is double the amount that the parks are off for the year. Funny how that wasn’t mentioned on the conference call.

The parks are the opposite. While the revenue from the parks dropped a whopping $515 million, their profit only dropped $339 million – Disney was able to slow the losses through cuts and other reductions (but not able to maintain their margins which is interesting). If you read the account of the conference call, Disney is being very cagey about why the numbers are off. WDW is “flat”, Disneyland is “slightly off” and Tokyo is a “resounding success”. So why are things so bleak?

Much of the damage is rumored to come from Disneyland’s parking lot. While Disneyland is remaining stable, the carnival has seen a dramatic attendance drop on top of even higher discounts than last year. The drive to sell annual pass, which produced a nice bump last year, but has now thrashed per capita spending (so many of the people inside DCA paid nothing to get there).

Of course the parks are also hit because tourism is down. But it’s not as down as much as Disney numbers are which even more interesting. And Universal is saying their year-to-date numbers are showing an increase over last year. While international visitors are more important to Disney than they are to Universal, it would seem that WDW would be able to successfully capture a lot of the “stay close to home” market. And there are many people now wondering if Disney’s simplistic response to the downturn (cut expenses faster than you’re losing customers) hasn’t ended up hurting Disney much more than it would have been otherwise. At a time when people are fearful, watching their money and want to do nothing more than spend time with families – they are not choosing the safest and most American, most family-friendly place to do exactly that. Why?

Why is Disney spinning the numbers in the “parks are bad” way? Simple, Disney can blame “outside” forces for the company’s problems. Michael becomes a valiant CEO struggling to save his company against the Evil Forces striking fear into Americans. Most people won’t delve too deeply into the numbers and accept the “terrorism and economy hurt theme parks” answer at face value. Wall Street likes nice, short, neat answers to complicated questions. Stuff about ABC, California Adventure and diminished perceived value just complicates things for a three second blurb for CNBC.

And if people realize the true problem is ABC, well that problem sits firmly in Eisner’s lap. The network is a huge asset that has been mismanaged to the point that it’s showing a loss. You can’t blame terrorists, you can’t blame the economy – all you have are people picking bad shows and paying way too much for them. Hit shows always bring in the ad revenue even in down times – but you don’t have hit shows no one is going to buy time on a network that can’t deliver the eyeballs. It’s a very simple system that points directly at the people who make it work, and at those that can’t make it work.

Please don’t try to justify the cancellation of Early Entry, reduced hours or closed parks because of attendance levels or your ability to get in just as many rides. That’s not why the cuts were made. The parks aren’t being run as a separate business anymore that’s responsive to its customers. Turn on your television set and flip it over to ABC.

And watch Drew Carey spend your theme park money.

By the way – anyone notice that little blurb about Eisner reducing the number of people that sit on the board of directors? Gee, I wonder who’s friends will stay and who’s enemies will go??????

Welcome back AV, we've missed you around here lately.

I agree, the search for scapegoats continues. Sooner or later though, the stockholders are going to think that maybe Eisner, as head of the company, should be held responsible for the performance of the company. I hope that day come soon.

Not only stockholders. Wall Street will start to hold Eisner accountable.

Well, as much as I like to argue with AV about the numbers the only thing I can fuss with him on this time is the 'pass' he gave the filmmaking side of Disney's house.

For the nine months just ended the so-called Studio Entertainment segment grossed $232M on sales of $4.693B...that's 5% Gross...sheesh...

Without knowing the variable cost equation hard to fully dissect the margin decline. Margin erosion is a natural byproduct of a decline in volume, which the parks have had. Costs are seldom 100% variable. I was afraid the parks had been given an ultimatum to keep their margins; damm the guest experience. Maybe, there was some sensitivity shown in how deep to cut base services? I said some.

I can see where the talking heads on CNBC might want concise sound bites, but one would hope industry analysts would take the time to understand the real drivers. However, the accounting scandals do make me question just how well analysts can really see the underlying business fundamentals. Otherwise, they would have been suspicious of results that seemed too good to be true (and were) in many of these cases.

Bstanley

As you point out “Studio” margins have been poor for several years straight now. 3-4 years ago they were consistently in the 15% range. The drop happened all in one year and has remained consistent. Doesn't sound like a creative cycle. Wonder what changed (competition, cost structure, power along the value chain, talent)?. AV, can you shed any light, here?

3-4 years ago they were consistently in the 15% range. The drop happened all in one year and has remained consistent. Doesn't sound like a creative cycle. Wonder what changed (competition, cost structure, power along the value chain, talent)?
Isn't it about 3-4 years ago that they started cutting staff levels in the studios, animation in particular?

Sarangel

PS. The other sad point to make about the Studios segement is that they are touted as being the 'bright spot' in the financials...

What happened to the studio margins was that Disney ran out of classics to put on DVD. Disney had one of the most valuable film libraries in Hollywood and had been doling it out slowly on home video with great results. The margins you can make on a forty year old movie sold for $39.95 are really amazing. But the pipeline of old classics ran out a while ago and Disney hasn’t been able to add any major blockbusters since ‘Aladdin’. The re-re-re-releases they are currently doing (like the one for 'Snow White') have been pretty much of a flop.

On the live action side, there was always a battle between the expensive people (Eisner) and the cheap people (Katzenberg). Disney really didn’t have to worry too much in the early days because the theme parks provided mountains of cash and the animated hits subsidized the live action films. So a certain executive got into the habit of spending a lot of money on questionable movies just so he could play in the big time. Anyone remember that famous Katzenberg memo about spending after the ‘Dick Tracy’ fiasco? That certain suit wasn't Jeff.

Without Katzenberg and Wells providing adult supervision, Disney’s live action production budgets soared. And they all produced poor or rotten returns. Between production and marketing costs, ‘Bad Company’ will loose over $100 million just on its own. The former head of the studio tried to reverse the trend with small films like ‘Princess Diaries’ and ‘The Rookie’ – that’s why he’s the former head of the studio. ‘Reign of Fire’ and ‘Gangs of New York’ are the preferred movies these days and no one is allowed to disagree with the corporate policy (despite the horrible numbers).

Another big change was the switch in Disney Television. Instead of producing shows to be sold to other networks, Disney’s production switched to producing shows for ABC instead. And since ABC needs as much help as it can get, these shows are “sold” at a substantial discount (it’s just an accounting trick).

The best way to understand the situation is to see the company as Eisner looks at it. The Parks provide a constant steady stream of cash – that’s their only purpose. The Studio is for the wild gamble, a chance to makes gobs of instant cash, lotto-style. That’s why Eisner’s been pining away for the days of ‘The Lion King’ with movies such as ‘Pearl Harbor’. It’s the lure of super jackpot that’s the draw, not the small dribble of money.

Like playing the slots, all that really counts is the triple coin payout for lining up the sevens. Margins and other fundamentals of the studio group don’t matter. Until Eisner hits the big one, he’ll just keep shoving park dollars into the slot without much care about the return on each pull of the handle.

AV Thanks for the insight, don't like what I'm reading (because I'm sure at least 99% of what your writting is correct).

Thanks for the breakdown, AV...

At first I was a little curious about why even the analysts focused on the parks in their questioning. Part of that is probably what you said, mgmt is attempting to divert blame. But to be fair, I think its also that everybody knows what ABC's problem is, no hit shows, and there's really not much to say about it until September.

That's not to say I disagree about the problems, however. Until this quarter, Disney's attendance issues (DCA aside) seemed to mirror general trends. However, this quarter, their heavy reliance on the international excuse didn't sit right with me (and clearly wasn't bought by at least one analyst on the call). But I haven't found any data that could be compared. Is any of the info you have that led you to this quote referenceable?

Of course the parks are also hit because tourism is down. But it’s not as down as much as Disney numbers are which even more interesting. And Universal is saying their year-to-date numbers are showing an increase over last year.

(Its not that I don't believe you. On the contrary, its what I suspected, but I'd like to see the info for myself, partly to see what else is out there)

Matt:

Any place to read a transcript on-line from the call?

Sorry, Larry. Not sure where to get a transcript. You can call into a replay at 973-341-3080, pin 3363204. That's available until 8/8.

Here's the link to Disney's info. They have a link to a webcast replay which is also available until 8/8.

Earnings Call Info

Let's not forget the $5.3B Fox Family deal that took place after 9/11. I'm sure that didn't help the books either...

Thanks for the info, AV.

I have to agree with your statements regarding ABC. I was always leery of this purchase, and often wondered if it wasn't just an enormous case of ego on Ei$ner's part -- buy the place where you used to work.

My brother-in-law worked for Cap Cities when they were taken over by Disney. He then became C.O.O. of ABC owned stations. Two years ago, he was told he had to relocate to California or lose his job. He decided not to make the move because of the direction the company was going. At the time, I thought he was crazy. It looks as though he knew exactly what he was doing!

Lisa:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter