The Lurkyloos Do Disneyland Paris in the Snow! UPDATED 10/18 - How to Get to Paris from Disneyland!

So the Maleficent dragon was pretty amazeballs—and we didn’t even know she could breathe fire! Apparently she only recently had her fire effect reinstated.

And then it happened. After about 10 minutes of watching the parade from just outside Frontierland (can you believe it? Patrick got all those parade shots with a telephoto lens), I happened to look through its gate and see a train running at Big Thunder!!! We bolted for Frontierland and sprinted all the way to the front of Big Thunder, then all the way back around it and up the exit after a cast member directed us to the sometime-FASTPASS entrance (more on that later). Breathlessly we waved our hotel FASTPASSes under the guy’s nose and then we were ON!

At last, our first big E-Ticket thrill ride! (Sorry, Space Mountain, but you don’t count cuz your music was turned off.)

It was F A B U L O U S! It’s so much longer than the one at Walt Disney World! You get to go out to this island and loop back around and really feel like you get your money’s worth. Also, of course, the scenery was breathtaking in the snow. We don’t have photos of any of that because we were just enjoying the ride, so here’s another shot from afterward.

At this point we were getting dangerously close to our dinner reservation time at Captain Jack’s Restaurant, but we couldn’t resist going one more time. Who knew if we’d ever get back on? And then we had to take more photos, of course…

And that is where I’ll leave you for now…

Up Next: Another 250+ photos of nighttime at Disneyland Paris, plus our review of Captain Jack’s Restaurant!

I had started quoting your pictures, but then I ended up just quoting all of your posts! Anyways, awesome pics! So cool to see it all in the snow - I got mostly rain.

I don’t quite understand why Nemo himself appears creepily in the mirror—is he supposed to be a ghost?—but it’s a cool effect.
I didn't realize he was there and got a bit of a shock when I turned around!

So… What’s with all the ginormous bottles of Pellegrino..? Is Colonel Hathi some aging Yuppie?
I think they sponsored the restaurant? Like how McDonalds used to have a cart at Disneyland in Frontierland...

It was F A B U L O U S! It’s so much longer than the one at Walt Disney World! You get to go out to this island and loop back around and really feel like you get your money’s worth. Also, of course, the scenery was breathtaking in the snow. We don’t have photos of any of that because we were just enjoying the ride, so here’s another shot from afterward.
I looved it so much! I don't even remember how many times I went on! Absolutely awesome!

The porch must be a really nice place to eat in better weather. It wraps around the side and front of the restaurant and is surrounded by a pretty little creek.

The patio was great, it's where we ate. I had no idea what the inside was like or how we missed seeing it. We probably would have eaten inside if we'd known.

I think they sponsored the restaurant? Like how McDonalds used to have a cart at Disneyland in Frontierland...

OOOOOHHHHHH! That makes a lot more sense now! Thanks!

The patio was great, it's where we ate. I had no idea what the inside was like or how we missed seeing it. We probably would have eaten inside if we'd known.

I'll bet it's lovely out there in nice weather!

OK, this is a little OT but still Disney-related.... Our Disney-crazy house is featured on Apartment Therapy today! If you ever wondered just how Disney-obssessed we are, well... now you know! It's also the reason I haven't been doing as many trip reports in the last few years, but now that it's finally done, I hope to pick up the pace again!

I also have all the photos and captions on my blog, since Apartment Thearpy wasn't crazy enough to post the whole lot...

Some previews....

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_4452_zpsomyitt1k.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_4740_zpsktlq6ria.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_0013_zpsneaszdpn.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_0558_zpsigqrhrbk.jpg

And our Haunted Mansion Bathroom—full details on that HERE!

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_2937_zpsjlhqgyml.jpg

Last edited:
OK, this is a little OT but still Disney-related.... Our Disney-crazy house is featured on Apartment Therapy today! If you ever wondered just how DIsney-obssessed we are, well... now you know! It's also the reason I haven't been doing as many trip reports in the last few years, but now that it's finally done, I hope to pick up the pace again!

I also have all the photos and captions on my blog, since Apartment Thearpy wasn't crazy enough to post the whole lot...

Some previews....

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_4452_zpsomyitt1k.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_4740_zpsktlq6ria.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_0013_zpsneaszdpn.jpg

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_0558_zpsigqrhrbk.jpg

And our Haunted Mansion Bathroom—full details on that HERE!

CarrieandPatrick_HomeTour_05262018_2937_zpsjlhqgyml.jpg
OMG - your home is amazing! I need to copy every one of those ideas for when I move into my own place!

Love the color of your dining room and the recessed shelves!

OMG - your home is amazing! I need to copy every one of those ideas for when I move into my own place!

:rotfl:Thanks! Having your own place to decorate YOUR way is the *best* feeling!

Love the color of your dining room and the recessed shelves!

Thank you! I cannot get enough turquiose. I always say pink is my favorite color, but... it might really be turquoise!

I have total and utter apartment envy. And for what it’s worth, I love the new patio even more than the old!

I have total and utter apartment envy. And for what it’s worth, I love the new patio even more than the old!

Oh thank you for saying that! I'm still a bit sore over losing the original, but I really do love the new one!

Your taste is magnificent! The colors,the theming,the everything! You certainly have a flair for whimsy AND drama! Thanks for sharing!!!

Oh my gosh Carrie I am obsessed! Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!!

I think you just created a collection monster for me when I saw those muppet busts... I've been googling. I guess I know what to ask for for my birthday now! :love:

:rotfl:I think Patrick would tell you they are worth the (now inflated) cost—he considers them THE very best representations of the original characters ever released by a toy company, and he's the Muppet Expert!

Dinner and Fireworks at Disneyland Paris
Dinner that night was at Captain Jack’s Restaurant des Pirates, formerly The Blue Lagoon. I’d read enough reviews of the food that I wasn’t expecting much—we just really wanted to see the inside!

IMG_3325.jpg

Here’s an official photo, since ours didn’t turn out so great in the dark:

Captain-Jacks.jpg

© Disney

Unlike the Blue Bayou, Captain Jack’s is built on multiple levels, with many more seating areas. It probably covers more square footage, but, strangely, it feels much more cramped than the Blue Bayou, and much less connected with the ride. The Blue Bayou feels cavernous and open, with an expansive view of the river and its boats. When you’re on Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland, you spend a fair amount of time drifting past the entire width of the Blue Bayou at the beginning of the ride. But in Disneyland Paris’ Pirates of the Caribbean, you only float past a slice of Captain Jack’s restaurant, and I can barely remember noticing it despite our numerous rides.

Of course, the concept art made it look like the restaurant would be HUGE!

Blue-Lagoon-Concept.jpg

© Disney

Disney’s contractor pulled out a pair of scissors, cut a square out of the middle of the art and said, “I geeve you ZIS!”

According to the caption on this photo of the restaurant model in Disneyland Paris: From Sketch to Reality, the Story™ of The Blue Lagoon is that pirates built three huts: One from pieces of their boat, one from the remaining wood after the boat wore out, and one from palm trees. I’m not really getting that from the model or the restaurant…

Blue-Lagoon-Model.jpg

But, whatever—cool idea, right?

The lobby was empty at 5:30 pm on a snowy Thursday.

IMG_3278.jpg

I wish I’d spent more time taking in all the little vignettes, like this gorgeous little waterfall.

IMG_3284.jpg

A lot of seating is crammed along the balcony at the top/back of the restaurant, and in a few rooms.

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

The seating area down by the water is also very cramped and feels quite separate from the water due to the high fences and landscaping. The Blue Bayou’s railing feels much lower.

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

(The boats don’t really move this fast!)

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

This seating section is wrapped around the back of the destroyed ship through which the ride boats pass at the very beginning of Pirates.

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

Our meal turned out not to be as terrible as the Internet had led us to expect. Nor was it anything to write home about. It was… acceptable, but at an unacceptable price! Again, we should have split something to save money.

Here are all 85 pages of the Cheesecake Factory-length menu…

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

They started us off with some bread. Like the Blue Bayou’s, this bread is not worth stuffing in your purse for later.

IMG_3274.jpg

The worst thing we had was this 17 € appetizer of Cod Fritters with Cassava Fries, Tamarind Sauce and a Creole Cabbage Salad, which tasted like burned dirt balls.

IMG_3276.jpg

Patrick had the Slow-Roasted Smoked Suckling Pig with Roasted Eggplant and Squash (37 €). He declared it “OK.”

IMG_3321.jpg

I had the Prime Beef Rib with a Tamarind Glaze, Jalapeño Salsa and Sweet Potato (37 €). Also OK!

IMG_3322.jpg

Because I am a big dummy, I paid 15 € for dessert. This is the Tonka Bean Flavored Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream (hold the Spice-Infused Syrup). It was sort of like a cut-up chocolate Mickey tart from Jolly Holiday Bakery with ice cream. But, like, $20….

IMG_3323.jpg

So, as it was with Walt’s – An American Restaurant, my capsule review is: Go once to check out the ambience, but just order whatever’s cheapest.

Oh, and just like our two previous table-service meals, the pace at Captain Jack’s was verrrrrrrrry leisurely. At an American Disney restaurant they practically bring you your water, entree and check simultaneously, and then they stand there holding your hat and coat as you scarf down your meal. At Captain Jack’s, we had to flag down a waiter any time we wanted the next course. I’m a huge fan of table service dining at Disney, but if we ever get back to Disneyland Paris, I may become a quick-service convert.

After dinner we rode the deserted Pirates of the Caribbean a few more times.

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

In lieu of on-ride photos, here’s some more trivia gleaned from Disneyland Paris: From Sketch to Reality:

• Many of the figures’ costumes came from an old costume shop in London and predate 1900.
  • The dueling AudioAnimatronic pirates were among the most difficult to program and actually took chunks out of each others’ clothes and hair before the programming was perfected.
  • The Disneyland Railroad passes through Pirates the same way it passes through Splash Mountain at Disneyland*
*Technically not trivia, just another regular-day thing we missed thanks to the @$%&@! snow!

When we got out of Pirates, Skull Rock was partially open, but just the skull part. I know we went up there and looked out the eye sockets, but I have no photos for some reason. We then walked all the way back to Big Thunder to use our FASTPASSes before the park closed and the fireworks started, only to be told that they were no longer accepting FASTPASSes??? When I later asked at City Hall, the cast members there said they’d never heard of such a thing, and that we should’ve been allowed on the ride. They did give us anytime passes to use for another ride, at least.

IMG_0564.jpg

So then we trudged out to the Hub and staked our claim on a spot for the Disney Illuminations fireworks show. The guests in front of us immediately made us feel like we were in our home Disney park by hoisting kids up on their shoulders and blocking our view with their cameras and cell phones.

Disney Illuminations is pretty much a just an “intellectual property greatest hits” projection show with some lasers and a few fireworks at the end. Behold….

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

There’s a nice little after-show with just projections and some music that is a lot easier to photograph. As we watched I thought to myself, “You know what my readers would like? A shaky video of the last 22 seconds of this show!”

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

Day-7c-Feat-Pic.jpg

The park closed with the fireworks show that night, but of course we had Disney’s hour-long shopportunity to explore Main Street, U.S.A. some more before they finally booted us.

It was the perfect chance to take a really terrible photo of Patrick in front of some snow-covered 25th anniversary decorations near Casey’s Corner.

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

We poked our heads into the Emporium, but by this time we’d started to realize that all the shops sell the same stuff. So the most interesting things to us were these vintage-looking murals depicting Disneyland’s and Magic Kingdom’s… emporia?

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

This was also a good chance to check out the inside of the Storybook Store, which I think might have been Patrick’s favorite store in the whole place. To refresh your memory, here’s the “yesterday” shot I posted, like, two months ago… It’s the book shop attached to City Hall.

IMG_2200.jpg

Patrick loved all the figures and had to shoot every single one. I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Clarabelle Cow or Ludwig Von Drake figures in a U.S. Disney gift shop.

IMG_3431.jpg

Like every other bookstore in this post-Amazon world, The Storybook Store has been forced to stock so much more to stay afloat. Photo frames, movies, stuffed toys, action play sets and cheap, glittering point-of-sale junk have crowded out the books, which Donald and his nephews are squirreling away in the upper reaches of the room, just out of reach of Amazon’s tentacles.

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

Louie: “Amazon’ll never find ’em up here, Unca Donald!”

IMG_3434.jpg

Donald: “[unintelligible]!!!”

Dear, naive Minnie extends a book to the slavering masses below in hopes that just one soul will look up from his cell phone long enough to engage with the ancient art of storytelling.

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

Chip: [loosely translated] “I’m gonna poke your eye out with this, Dale!”

IMG_3438.jpg

“GAWRSH! I nevur larned ta READ!”

IMG_3440.jpg

“Philistines…”

IMG_3441.jpg

“As we say in the psychiatry, my head isn’t screwed on straight!”

IMG_3428.jpg

“Do you recog-a-nize these suspi-cer-ous characters? I think they took Eeyore’s tail!”

IMG_3443.jpg

“What am I doin’ in here? Ain’t I from Cinderelly?!”

Our next stop was City Hall, where we asked about the whole “no longer accepting FASTPASSES” thing at Big Thunder Mountain and learned that it was not, in fact, a thing. The cast members there were super-friendly, something this guest felt compelled to document on virtual film….

IMG_3445.jpg

Patrick discovered that City Hall has a display of Walt Disney’s French Legion of Honor medal from 1936. Pretty cool that they have a real artifact just hanging out for all to enjoy in a theme park!

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

Legionnaire: “Did I jab you?” Walt [in Mickey voice]: “I’m… OK!”

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

We still had a little time left, so we made our way over to the Christmas shop next door to the Main Street Transportation Co.

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

I feel like Disneyland Paris has some of the best Main Street window displays of any park.

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

The Christmas shop’s windows were especially appealing. It had only been a few weeks since Christmas and these made me wish for it all over again!

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

I mean, they even had Bernard from The Rescuers in the window!

IMG_3482.jpg

We found a new addition to our collection of Disney park castle ornaments that, amazingly, made it back to the States in one piece!

Ornament.jpeg

When we got back to the Disneyland Hotel, we weren’t quite ready for bed yet, so we got some hot chocolate to go from the Castle Club Lounge and explored the hotel a bit. A very little bit. Like, six pictures’ worth.

First, we got a look at more of the hotel’s Fantasia theming, in the form of these great sculptures near the pool and health club.

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

We peeked through the window at the shuttered kids’ club to check out this dancing hippo.

IMG_3486.jpg

This preliminary concept art for the Disneyland Hotel, Fantasia Gardens and Disneyland depicts a snowy scene not unlike the one we’d experienced upon arrival.

IMG_3489.jpg

Ice skates! That’s where we went wrong… Instead of wearing regular shoes inside the park, we should have brought ice skates!

IMG_3490.jpg

For the Star Wars fan who has everything… Disco Darth!

IMG_0559.jpg

We got back to the room and I was just settling in for a nice survey of my domain….

IMG_3491.jpg

…. when they turned off the castle lights! At only 10pm! I mean, isn’t seeing the park and its greatest icon sort of the point of paying for one of these rooms? Harrumph…

IMG_0561.jpg

Poof.

Up Next: Behold… The Worst Disney Park in the Whole Wide World!

Our meal turned out not to be as terrible as the Internet had led us to expect. Nor was it anything to write home about. It was… acceptable, but at an unacceptable price! Again, we should have split something to save money.
Yeah, agreed again. Theme - top notch. Food - meh.

We then walked all the way back to Big Thunder to use our FASTPASSes before the park closed and the fireworks started, only to be told that they were no longer accepting FASTPASSes??? When I later asked at City Hall, the cast members there said they’d never heard of such a thing, and that we should’ve been allowed on the ride. They did give us anytime passes to use for another ride, at least.
Argh, that is so annoying!

Disney Illuminations is pretty much a just an “intellectual property greatest hits” projection show with some lasers and a few fireworks at the end. Behold….
Agreed. I didn't really feel a strong emotional connection. Of course it was also pouring rain when I watched it... But I didn't end up making it a strong priority to go back and see it one of the next 2 nights I was still there.

The crystals at the front sort of look like a nativity scene with the manger?

Patrick loved all the figures and had to shoot every single one. I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Clarabelle Cow or Ludwig Von Drake figures in a U.S. Disney gift shop.

IMG_3431.jpg

Like every other bookstore in this post-Amazon world, The Storybook Store has been forced to stock so much more to stay afloat. Photo frames, movies, stuffed toys, action play sets and cheap, glittering point-of-sale junk have crowded out the books, which Donald and his nephews are squirreling away in the upper reaches of the room, just out of reach of Amazon’s tentacles.

IMG_3429.jpg
I thought I went into every shop, but I must have missed this one! I think I have a photo of the Tigger though, so I must have just not looked up! And that's my Rule #1 for Disney: When you go into a store - look up, that's where the details are!

We found a new addition to our collection of Disney park castle ornaments that, amazingly, made it back to the States in one piece!

Ornament.jpeg
Oh, so cute! They had so few "Disneyland Paris" ornaments when I was there. Only one that screamed DLP, with Tink and the Eiffel tower, but I was worried I would break it en route home, so I didn't end up getting any. I think I saw they have a new Epcot France World Showcase ornament that looks my style, so I may get it and scratch out "Epcot"...

We got back to the room and I was just settling in for a nice survey of my domain….

IMG_3491.jpg

…. when they turned off the castle lights! At only 10pm! I mean, isn’t seeing the park and its greatest icon sort of the point of paying for one of these rooms? Harrumph…

IMG_0561.jpg
Not cool!

The crystals at the front sort of look like a nativity scene with the manger?

:rotfl2: I see that now!!!

I thought I went into every shop, but I must have missed this one! I think I have a photo of the Tigger though, so I must have just not looked up! And that's my Rule #1 for Disney: When you go into a store - look up, that's where the details are!

I believe Disney's in-house description of that detail placement is "Above the grubby fingers"! :rotfl:

Oh, so cute! They had so few "Disneyland Paris" ornaments when I was there. Only one that screamed DLP, with Tink and the Eiffel tower, but I was worried I would break it en route home, so I didn't end up getting any. I think I saw they have a new Epcot France World Showcase ornament that looks my style, so I may get it and scratch out "Epcot"...

That's a great idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!