The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

All 496 regular sites have full service at Gulf State Park. They have water, sewer, electricity 50/30, pick nick table and charcoal bar b que pit. There are 11 primitive sites as Ed mentioned they only have a brick fire pit and a pole the hang garbage bags on. No electricity or water. They are in a bushy/ wooded area along a small creek. A couple of years ago we saw a small alligator there in the creek. But they are all over the park in the streams and lakes.

Okay so we had some excitement today. I almost got a new camper the hard way. As I told everyone my camper needed to go back to have the slide gearbox replaced. They are swamped so I haven't been able to take it yet. Consequently I just left it in the driveway without backing it all the way in beside my neighbors privacy fence. While I was out on the motorcycle a tornado or something came through and took down several trees. Two from my neighbors back yard trees fell across his house and the fence and into my driveway. Had my camper been sitting there in the normal spot I would have had serious damage if not totaling it. It missed the camper by 10 feet or so.

Attachments

• Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Driveway2.jpg
    Driveway2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Driveway3.jpg
    Driveway3.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 21

Wow, glad it missed your rig and everyone is ok. That's a lot of campfire fuel there.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. 10ft is 10ft. Glad nothing was damaged.

j

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
It's always good to be lucky.... :D

I like a bit of BOTH though.

Glad all worked out well for you though.

I know we had a neighbors tree fall across our driveway and on to our house several years ago. Missed my car but got the DW's Minivan. What I didn't realize though, at the time, was that the house is covered under home owners insurance but even though the vehicles were not being driven, they are covered under the auto insurance. So.... if we did not have comprehensive coverage, we would not have gotten her van fixed. Thankfully though we did. Ironically, my vehicle (at that time a Chevy Blazer) had Liability only, so if it had gotten hit, it would NOT have been covered.

Wow! That was close!

Glad it missed the house and the camper

Okay so I was hired to replace the fence after the trees were removed. I'm not used to real work and this Bama heat almost did me in. But I got it done and avoided a hospital trip. Pictures of the work are below. I finally took a full time job here in Mobile. I'm starting Monday as a Police Officer for the airport authority. They only cover the two airports but are sworn officer positions with state pension after 10 years of service. It's low key and mostly inside work so it will suit me fine. The good part is I will finally be able to get a new truck. I just have to decide if I want to make a payment $100 higher to get a new one versus one two years older. I missed out on a 2015 I really wanted because I hadn't been officially hired yet. Now I have the job. I just have to make a big financial decision.

You can see now that my camper is backed in how lucky I was. The trees would have destroyed it.
Driveway5.jpg Driveway6.jpg

That looks great Flametamr. And do you have a door on the driver's side of the trailer at the back? That's what it looks like. I'm so used to seeing doors on the passenger side (not counting flopping the back for toy haulers) that it struck me that I hadn't noticed it before.

Congrats on the job with the Airport Authority-I guess it's Brookley Field and the Mobile Airport. I think you mentioned the opening/possibility at Gulf State Park back in May. It sounds like a good fit for you - what you have to offer and what it requires. Now to get to the year 2027. (I'm considering a 10-year plan and counting down myself).

On the truck I would pay the $100 extra if I could afford it and go new. The first years on a vehicle to me are the best years it has so you might as well get those out of it. For $100 I would do it - for $150 or more I would not.

Bama Ed

I agree with Ed on the new truck. Congratulations on the new job.

Yes Ed that is a back door. My camper is a bunk house and it has a half bath there in the back (just a commode and sink) and that door is an exit from the bathroom. We don't use it much but if there was a need to allow others to have access to a bathroom this would be ideal. I appreciate the encouragement on the truck and will probably go new if I can get the one I have picked out. With trade and a little cash the payment will be around 450. Considering the last new truck I bought in 2003 cost me 420 a month it's silly of me to hesitate. What I have picked out is a new 2017 F150 Crew Cab XLT FX4 4wd with the 3.5 eco boost with the new 10 speed transmission. It has every feature available on Ford trucks and is magnetic gray which matches my camper. Hopefully this week I can post pictures of me in the truck and this saga will be done. On a side note. What's opinions on converting to a gooseneck ? My camper is designed to change over easily by just buying the tube. I'm thinking I don't want to put 20 small holes in the aluminum bed just one bigger one. The upside is when the hitch is stowed the bed is smooth and when towing I won't have the chucking issue and also have more room in the bed for stuff.

Last edited:
Oh another thing if I went used it would be Ford certified with 12/12,000 full warranty and then 84/100,000 powertrain. On the new one it's 36/36,000 full and 60/60,000 powertrain. I find it odd that on a used one you get a better powertrain warranty.

I find it odd that on a used one you get a better powertrain warranty.
I could only guess that since it's been "used" beyond those "Best Years" (as Ed calls it) that it's also been "Tested" well too. So at that point, they probably know the Powertrain is much more reliable then the "New One" which hasn't really been tested and/or broken in.

Also, Congrats on the job as well and good luck on your truck decision.

Has anyone rented or been in the cabins or cottages? Are they clean?

In case you don't know the cottages are separated from the campground by about a half a mile. But they look nice and you get the same privileges as the campgrounds. Most of the road between the cottages and the campground entrance has been closed off and made into a large bike path.

Gulf State Park closing tomorrow in advance of hurricane Nate. Looks like it will reopen on the 10th.

aldcr-govdelivery-headgraphic_original.jpg

Press Release
October 6, 2015
Contact: Meaher State Park, (251) 626-5529; Gulf State Park, (251) 948-7275

Gulf and Meaher State Parks Closing Due to Tropical Storm Nate

Due to anticipated heavy rain and wind from Tropical Storm Nate, Meaher State Park in Spanish Fort, Ala., and Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Ala., will close at noon on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017.

No new reservations are being accepted for cottages, cabins, or campsites until Tuesday, October 10, 2017. This is subject to change based on evolving weather forecasts.

A hurricane warning is currently in effect from Louisiana to Alabama. Nate is expected to make landfall as a Category 1 hurricane late Saturday or early Sunday and pass through the region fairly quickly. Heavy rain, strong winds and tornados are likely.

Park facility closures and evacuation recommendations are listed below. These closures will remain in effect until after the storm has passed and park facilities are deemed safe for public use.

MEAHER
Campground and cabins – Mandatory evacuation. Current guests must leave the park by noon on Saturday when the park closes to visitors.

RVs – Owners of recreational vehicles stored at the park are advised to remove them no later than noon on Saturday. RVs may be left on site, but the park will not be responsible for any storm damage to those vehicles.

GULF
Gulf State Park Pier – Closed immediately to allow for storm preparations.

Golf Course – Closing at normal hours today.

Nature Center – Closing at normal hours today.

Welcome Center – Closing at normal hours today.

Beach Pavilion – Closing at normal hours today.

Beaches – Closing later today or early tomorrow morning in conjunction with decisions made by the cities of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores for their beach access areas.

Campground – Mandatory evacuation. Current guests must leave the park by noon on Saturday when the park closes to visitors.

Cottages and cabins – suggested/voluntary evacuation for now, but subject to change in accordance with revised weather forecasts.

RVs – Owners of recreational vehicles stored at the park are advised to remove them no later than noon on Saturday. RVs may be left on site, but the park will not be responsible for any storm damage to those vehicles.

Meaher and Gulf state parks will reopen to the public after the storm has passed and the parks are deemed safe for public use. Status updates will be posted at http://alapark.com/meaher-state-park and http://alapark.com/gulf-state-park. Updates will also be posted to the parks’ Facebook pages: Meaher, https://www.facebook.com/Meaherstatepark; and Gulf, https://www.facebook.com/GulfStatePark.

#

aldnr-footer-seal_original.jpg

Stay Connected with the Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural

We're about 150 miles inland and they issued us a tropical storm warning earlier for us. Hoping not too much.

I got my Mt Dew and Twinkies so I'm good here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!