The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

I leave for my vacation in 5 days!

So I guess I’d better wrap this mini-TR up. I don’t have a ton of time so this might be a quick breeze through the rest of the photos.

The bus dropped us off back at the main visitor complex. We had one more attraction that we absolutely didn’t want to miss.

IMG_8734.jpg

When the Space Shuttle program was retired, the remaining space shuttles were sent to be permanently housed in various museums around the country. The Kennedy Space Center was chosen to be the home of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. An entire exhibit building was constructed to house the shuttle.

Right at the door is a full-scale model of the shuttle’s rocket boosters and auxiliary fuel tank.

P1050107.JPG

Once inside, you get to see an elaborate pre-show before entering the main exhibit room itself. It’s clear they spared no expense on this building, and the reveal of the shuttle is very impressive. I can’t imagine the design that went into the structure they have in place to support the weight of the Atlantis, but it makes for a really cool exhibit.

IMG_8708.jpg

There are all sorts of computer screens giving you more information about the shuttle than you could ever possibly remember. There’s a mockup of the cockpit for the kids to try out as well.

IMG_8713.jpg

There are models (I think they’re models) of the Hubble Space Telescope and Canadarm (the robotic arm used for moving payloads from the shuttle), but it’s the Atlantis that dominates the room.

IMG_8719.jpg

I thought this display was cool. It runs from the liquid rocket fuel temperature all the way up through the temperature of that same rocket fuel burning in the engine.

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8721.jpg

Here’s a mockup of the International Space Station you can crawl through (if, unlike me, you can fit inside comfortably).

IMG_8726.jpg

Traveling down a floor is great fun, as there is a slide simulating the angle of descent the shuttle takes back into the earth’s atmosphere. You may need to travel between floors a few times, just to make sure you understand it properly.

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

We spent at least an hour exploring the various exhibits. I loved both the science behind the shuttle and the experience of standing beneath the real thing. I think both the bus tour and this building are worth the price of admission by themselves.

There’s also a ride here, the Shuttle Launch Experience, which is a simulator that allows you to feel what a shuttle launch might be like (although probably dialed down a bit from the real thing). We were interested in trying it out, but my parents wanted to get on the road in a bit, so we didn’t think we had the time to wait through the line. Another time, perhaps.

We did have enough time for a KatMark photo.

IMG_8733.jpg

And we explored the Rocket Garden a bit.

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

There was a full-scale Lego model of the Mars Rover right outside the gift shop.

IMG_8746.jpg

And, of course, we had to wander the shop for a few minutes. I really, really wanted to get this for Baby Drew, but all of them were too small.

IMG_8748.jpg

I thought these mugs were cool, too. It also showed that NASA engineers are very familiar with the actual taste of Starbucks (sorry, Kathy):

IMG_8749.jpg

What did you think of the Kennedy Space Center, Scotty?

P1050122.JPG

Sigh. Why do I even bother?

Anyway, from there, we were back on the road. After checking underneath our car for stray alligators, we drove out of the parking lot. The fuel light was still on. Fortunately, we made our way back over the causeway and found a station right by the turn-off for the Beachline Expressway. Sorry to disappoint all of you who were hoping I’d end up pushing the car somewhere along the way.

After fueling up, we headed straight for Lake Buena Vista. It took a little over an hour, and soon we were driving barely onto the corner of Walt Disney World property to check into our hotel for the evening, the Holiday Inn at Downtown Disney. By the time we got checked in and our bags into the room, it was getting on evening. I had called ahead to a DIS Friend who happened to be in the area that evening, and she promptly informed me that the traffic around Downtown Disney, in technical engineering terms, “sucked”. No problem for us, though—we could walk down a path from the hotel.

IMG_8751.jpg

It was a nice walk, too. Especially when we reached the corner at DTD to see that traffic did indeed suck. It was at a standstill through the intersection. Interestingly, there were a couple of towers under construction at that intersection that appeared as though they would be part of a pedestrian bridge, which definitely would help the traffic situation. Someday.

Anyway, within a few more minutes we were walking past the DTD bus depot on the Marketplace side. I saw Disney buses pulling away and immediately felt a pang of sadness, knowing that I wouldn’t be getting on any of them. But, I was duty-bound not to proceed past DTD on this trip and didn’t want to risk angering She Who Must Be Obeyed. In fact, the whole purpose of being at DTD was to buy peace offerings so those who didn’t get to come to Florida would let me back into the house.

Another quick phone call, and the DIS Meet happened. Kathy (KatMark) was here and we couldn’t pass up the chance for a quick hello. She has met Scotty and David before, but never the other, smarter, more fun members of my family. And unfortunately, that’s still the case. We exchanged hugs and then I introduced her to my parents, who kind of gave her the cold shoulder. I’m sorry about that, Kathy—maybe they needed some carbs or something. Maybe they weren’t sure about this whole “friend I met on a message board” thing. In any case, I was glad to see her, even if it was just a brief meeting.

Scotty took care of the documentation for us. I discovered later that somehow the image stabilization on my camera got turned off. Sigh.

IMG_8753.jpg

If you noticed that Chicago Mickey shirt Scott wore on this day, well, he had it on for a reason: it was a shirt Kathy gave him the last time we met, in Chicago. Thanks for coming to see us, Kathy! It was great to meet up with you again.

We went into Earl of Sandwich for dinner. For one thing, they have great sandwiches. And for another, we knew Scotty had eaten way too much pizza on this trip and needed some variety. I went with my old standby, the Hawaiian BBQ:

IMG_8754.jpg

Scotty went way out on a limb and had a pizza sandwich.

P1050127.JPG

Dinner was delicious and fairly uneventful, except for Scotty proclaiming at one point, “I haven’t pooped yet today.”

“Thanks for announcing that,” my dad said. “Maybe you should say it a little louder.”

With that, I was off on a mission to get gifts for my poor family members left behind in boring old Delaware. My parents had little to no interest in fighting the crowds in the shops, so they eventually gave up and walked back to the hotel.

I tried to scheme my way into getting new decorations for my house:

IMG_8756.jpg

But at $150 a pop, that wasn’t going to happen. In the end, I think everyone was happy with my choices. Julie got a Mickey skirt and a glass Mickey head Christmas ornament, Sarah got Mickey earrings, an Epcot pin and an Expedition Everest pin, David got a ball cap and yardage guide from the Players Championship, and Drew got a pop-up book with Mickey characters. And I was successfully allowed to re-enter the house.

Thanks for hanging with me on the bonus mini-TR! Now it’s time to pack up for the next adventure. It won’t be long! Look for the next TR in the DIS Dads sub-thread under DIS For Family, starting sometime in July after we return.

A couple of bonus photos. I got Julie one of these ornaments (sorry it's blurry):

P1050128.JPG

And a bonus Scotty photo, because we all love it when Scotty happens.

P1050136.JPG

Haha. Peace offerings. Nah, I use to do that, now I just bring food.

Happy travels on your next adventure. I get to sweat the streets of DC next week, as it was a promise to older teen who is a huge history fan. Younger teen once again reminded that museums are boing.

There are all sorts of computer screens giving you more information about the shuttle than you could ever possibly remember. There’s a mockup of the cockpit for the kids to try out as well.

So where's the picture of you??? Aren't you (like all us guys) just a big kid? I know I'd have jumped at the chance to have a seat in the cockpit!

I had forgotten that they got one of the shuttles there. It's so cool seeing them up close. We got the Endeavor, they still haven't finished the cool new building to house it yet. Right now it's still in temporary display housing.

Nice you didn't run out of gas and that you made it to DTD for a meet and dinner at the Earl.

Have a great time on your next trip! Looking forward to reading all about it!

That is neat that they have one of the space shuttles. I can't believe, however, that the "big" kid didn't get in the cockpit.

Nice shout - out with the hat photo, Scotty.

I'm glad I forewarned you of the traffic and that you were able to walk to DTD.

I'm so glad we got to see each other...if only briefly (I apologize for that...my friend was anxious to get going).

Don't worry about your parents...I can understand why they might worry.

Here's my photo which is a bit clearer
10404062_10206856013104822_450718963585572366_n.jpg

And then Scotty happened...I love that kid.

I leave for my vacation in 5 days!

Whoa! Coming up fast!

We had one more attraction that we absolutely didn’t want to miss.

D'oh! In my excitement of all the other stuff at Kennedy, I didn't even notice the lack of Shuttle stuff!

Right at the door is a full-scale model of the shuttle’s rocket boosters and auxiliary fuel tank.

So cool! Those things are big!

I can’t imagine the design that went into the structure they have in place to support the weight of the Atlantis, but it makes for a really cool exhibit.

Very little. It's been in space so it's weightless, right?

There’s a mockup of the cockpit for the kids to try out as well.

Cool. Move over Scotty, I wanna play too.

There are models (I think they’re models) of the Hubble Space Telescope and Canadarm (the robotic arm used for moving payloads from the shuttle),

I think just about everyone in Canada know about the Canadarm.

My God. That's impressive.
Awesome picture.

I thought this display was cool

::yes:: Amazing how much heat comes out and yet doesn't melt the rocket.

Here’s a mockup of the International Space Station you can crawl through (if, unlike me, you can fit inside comfortably).

<sigh> Reminds me of having to fetch various children from McDonalds play structures.

Traveling down a floor is great fun, as there is a slide simulating the angle of descent the shuttle takes back into the earth’s atmosphere. You may need to travel between floors a few times, just to make sure you understand it properly.

:lmao:

I think both the bus tour and this building are worth the price of admission by themselves.

Sounds like it! But everything is so amazing!

There’s also a ride here, the Shuttle Launch Experience, which is a simulator that allows you to feel what a shuttle launch might be like (although probably dialed down a bit from the real thing).

Might not be.
Apparently a shuttle launch will give you only 3 g while RNRC gives you 4.5.

And we explored the Rocket Garden a bit.

That's cool too.

:laughing: Love it!

There was a full-scale Lego model of the Mars Rover right outside the gift shop.

You think it was a model.

I really, really wanted to get this for Baby Drew, but all of them were too small.

Dang. Too bad.

Sigh. Why do I even bother?

After checking underneath our car for stray alligators,

Did you check under the hood?

Sorry to disappoint all of you who were hoping I’d end up pushing the car somewhere along the way.

Shoot.
Oh, well. Maybe next time.

No problem for us, though—we could walk down a path from the hotel.

Nice.

I saw Disney buses pulling away and immediately felt a pang of sadness, knowing that I wouldn’t be getting on any of them.

Man. That must've been tough.

In fact, the whole purpose of being at DTD was to buy peace offerings so those who didn’t get to come to Florida would let me back into the house.

:laughing:

Kathy (KatMark) was here and we couldn’t pass up the chance for a quick hello.

You got to meet Kathy!!!

She has met Scotty and David before, but never the other, smarter, more fun members of my family. And unfortunately, that’s still the case.

Maybe they weren’t sure about this whole “friend I met on a message board” thing.

"Hmph. Who's this hussy who's been having an online affair with our boy?"

I went with my old standby, the Hawaiian BBQ:

Looks good!

Scotty went way out on a limb and had a pizza sandwich.

:lmao: Of course!

Dinner was delicious and fairly uneventful, except for Scotty proclaiming at one point, “I haven’t pooped yet today.”

“Thanks for announcing that,” my dad said. “Maybe you should say it a little louder.”[/QUOTE]

:rotfl: :lmao:
That's hysterical! Perfect comeback by your Dad.

But at $150 a pop, that wasn’t going to happen.

Ouch. No, I guess not.

Thanks for hanging with me on the bonus mini-TR! Now it’s time to pack up for the next adventure. It won’t be long! Look for the next TR in the DIS Dads sub-thread under DIS For Family, starting sometime in July after we return.

Sounds good! Thanks for this bonus mini-TR! With the space part thrown in, it was a great little bonus!

I got Julie one of these ornaments

Which exact one?

:laughing:

Haha. Peace offerings. Nah, I use to do that, now I just bring food.

I would do that, but the food would most likely be eaten before it gets home.

Happy travels on your next adventure. I get to sweat the streets of DC next week, as it was a promise to older teen who is a huge history fan. Younger teen once again reminded that museums are boing.

DC is fantastic! One of my favorite cities. As always you get out of it what you put into it.

So where's the picture of you??? Aren't you (like all us guys) just a big kid? I know I'd have jumped at the chance to have a seat in the cockpit!

Of course! But there's also the dad side of me, and there was a line of kids waiting their turn. So I stood aside to give them the chance instead.:thumbsup2

I had forgotten that they got one of the shuttles there. It's so cool seeing them up close. We got the Endeavor, they still haven't finished the cool new building to house it yet. Right now it's still in temporary display housing.

I remember seeing the footage of the Endeavour being towed along the CA streets! That looked like almost as amazing an achievement as going to the moon!

Nice you didn't run out of gas and that you made it to DTD for a meet and dinner at the Earl.

Yeah, because running out of gas would have sucked.

Have a great time on your next trip! Looking forward to reading all about it!

Thanks Alison! I just hope we survive 4 hours in the air with a toddler on our laps!

That is neat that they have one of the space shuttles. I can't believe, however, that the "big" kid didn't get in the cockpit.

I would have, if not for the other kids waiting in line. I'm a nice guy like that.

Nice shout - out with the hat photo, Scotty.

I figured you'd like that one.

I'm glad I forewarned you of the traffic and that you were able to walk to DTD.

Me too! I think the plan was to walk anyway, but when I saw the traffic I was really glad we didn't have to drive.

I'm so glad we got to see each other...if only briefly (I apologize for that...my friend was anxious to get going).

Me too! And even a brief meet up is better than none!

Don't worry about your parents...I can understand why they might worry.

I think they were just grumpy. Who knows?

Here's my photo which is a bit clearer
10404062_10206856013104822_450718963585572366_n.jpg

Thanks! That one is much better.

And then Scotty happened...I love that kid.

:goodvibes

Whoa! Coming up fast!

2 days now! And I haven't packed yet!

D'oh! In my excitement of all the other stuff at Kennedy, I didn't even notice the lack of Shuttle stuff!

Good! That way it would feel new and surprising.:thumbsup2

So cool! Those things are big!

Pretty awesome.

Very little. It's been in space so it's weightless, right?

Um...sure. I think that's how it works.

Cool. Move over Scotty, I wanna play too.

Seriously. How come he gets all the good stuff?

I think just about everyone in Canada know about the Canadarm.

I figured you might like that reference. I recently read Chris Hadfield's book and he seemed quite proud about that robot arm and his place in Canada's space history.

My God. That's impressive.
Awesome picture.

:thumbsup2

::yes:: Amazing how much heat comes out and yet doesn't melt the rocket.

The extremes these vehicles have to deal with are just mind-boggling.

<sigh> Reminds me of having to fetch various children from McDonalds play structures.

Every parent knows that struggle. :sad2:

Sounds like it! But everything is so amazing!

::yes::

Might not be.
Apparently a shuttle launch will give you only 3 g while RNRC gives you 4.5.

:scared1: Now that I did not know.

That's cool too.

Yeah, it is.

It really looks like we're in space, doesn't it?

You think it was a model.

:eek:

Dang. Too bad.

Yeah, it would have been a good one. That rocket scientist joke there never gets old.

Did you check under the hood?

I never thought of that! He was probably eating the hamster.

Shoot.
Oh, well. Maybe next time.

Gives me an excuse to go back.

Man. That must've been tough.

It really was. I mean, I shouldn't get so upset. It's just a Disney bus, for pete's sake. But I really wanted to get back inside the bubble.

You got to meet Kathy!!!

For the 2nd time! :banana::cool1::woohoo:

"Hmph. Who's this hussy who's been having an online affair with our boy?"

I think maybe they needed food. Low blood sugar.

Looks good!

Pineapple makes everything better.

:rotfl: :lmao:
That's hysterical! Perfect comeback by your Dad.

:rotfl2: Scotty just comes up with some winners sometimes.

Sounds good! Thanks for this bonus mini-TR! With the space part thrown in, it was a great little bonus!

But you enjoyed the golf parts just as much, right?:confused3:rotfl2:

Which exact one?

Clear glass with multi-color shades, toward the upper-right, smart guy.

Definitely LOVE me some Rocket Garden. I don't think we saw any of the Shuttle stuff, maybe a trip back there would be fun for our kids someday!

Pizza sandwich! :lmao::lmao: Oooooh, Scotty.

I've been hoping to meet Kathy for a while now. I really hope that can happen in October, 2016 (happy, @GoofyFan1515 ?!)

Have a wonderful time. You should think about an extra oxygen tank... unless you're in better shape than I am.

Oh! I missed your update, sorry. Words can't describe the scale of the rocket? How about REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, I mean REALLY big? No? Okay - Scotty did a good job of framing that one. Oh, and alligators trying to get to the moon? Who would have thought. Nice update.

ETA: Read it all now - nice ending. I love the artwork you almost bought - maybe next time. It's great you got to meet up with Kathy! Scotty is a charmer for sure. :goodvibes

Last edited:
I didn't know you did that? :rolleyes1

Careful...

Definitely LOVE me some Rocket Garden. I don't think we saw any of the Shuttle stuff, maybe a trip back there would be fun for our kids someday!

Sounds like a good time to go back! As if you needed something else to plan/spend money on.

Pizza sandwich! :lmao::lmao: Oooooh, Scotty.

Well...he knows what he likes, I'll say that for him.

I've been hoping to meet Kathy for a while now. I really hope that can happen in October, 2016 (happy, @GoofyFan1515 ?!)

That would be awesome! And I wish we could be there in October 2016! But right now I can barely afford this year's vacation, let alone think about another one!

Have a wonderful time. You should think about an extra oxygen tank... unless you're in better shape than I am.

Well, the good news is, everyone tells me that my brain is already starved for oxygen. Julie especially seems to think so. So I don't think it will hurt me too much.

Oh! I missed your update, sorry. Words can't describe the scale of the rocket? How about REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, I mean REALLY big? No? Okay - Scotty did a good job of framing that one. Oh, and alligators trying to get to the moon? Who would have thought. Nice update.

I prefer the term "ginormous".:rotfl2:

ETA: Read it all now - nice ending. I love the artwork you almost bought - maybe next time. It's great you got to meet up with Kathy! Scotty is a charmer for sure. :goodvibes

It was great to see Kathy, and Scotty definitely gives us lots of stories to tell!

By the way, I know I owe you a response on your last TR update...just haven't been able to catch up. I promise I will eventually!

2 days now! And I haven't packed yet!

Of course not! You're a man aren't you? We don't pack until it's panic time.

Um...sure. I think that's how it works.

We can't both be wrong.

Seriously. How come he gets all the good stuff?

Not fair!

I recently read Chris Hadfield's book and he seemed quite proud about that robot arm and his place in Canada's space history.

::yes::

I never thought of that! He was probably eating the hamster.

And you thought it was a low fuel light!

Gives me an excuse to go back.

And me too.... Once every 40 years or so.

I think maybe they needed food. Low blood sugar.

Nah. I like my reason better.

But you enjoyed the golf parts just as much, right?:confused3:rotfl2:

Um.... uh.... :rolleyes1

Clear glass with multi-color shades, toward the upper-right, smart guy.

No way! That's the one I picked out too!

When the Space Shuttle program was retired, the remaining space shuttles were sent to be permanently housed in various museums around the country. The Kennedy Space Center was chosen to be the home of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. An entire exhibit building was constructed to house the shuttle.
That looks awesome! It would definitely be worth a trip to KSC to see this.

I thought this display was cool. It runs from the liquid rocket fuel temperature all the way up through the temperature of that same rocket fuel burning in the engine.
That'll boil some antifreeze. :rolleyes1

For science! :thumbsup2

And, of course, we had to wander the shop for a few minutes. I really, really wanted to get this for Baby Drew, but all of them were too small.
That's too bad. I like it!

It also showed that NASA engineers are very familiar with the actual taste of Starbucks (sorry, Kathy):
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I approve of this comment. :thumbsup2

Anyway, from there, we were back on the road. After checking underneath our car for stray alligators, we drove out of the parking lot. The fuel light was still on. Fortunately, we made our way back over the causeway and found a station right by the turn-off for the Beachline Expressway. Sorry to disappoint all of you who were hoping I’d end up pushing the car somewhere along the way.
Man, no alligators under the car and you didn't run out of gas. This TR is no fun!!! :sad2:

Another quick phone call, and the DIS Meet happened. Kathy (KatMark) was here and we couldn’t pass up the chance for a quick hello. She has met Scotty and David before, but never the other, smarter, more fun members of my family. And unfortunately, that’s still the case. We exchanged hugs and then I introduced her to my parents, who kind of gave her the cold shoulder. I’m sorry about that, Kathy—maybe they needed some carbs or something. Maybe they weren’t sure about this whole “friend I met on a message board” thing. In any case, I was glad to see her, even if it was just a brief meeting.
I'm sorry your parents weren't in the mood for a Dismeet. But I totally get where they're coming from, too. But at least you had a chance to visit DTD and see Kathy for a minutes~

Scotty took care of the documentation for us. I discovered later that somehow the image stabilization on my camera got turned off. Sigh.
But it was still good enough to tell who was there.

And I can even see what @KatMark is holding in her hand. :rolleyes1

Shocking, isn't it? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Well that pizza sandwich might help with that later, Scotty. :thumbsup2

But at $150 a pop, that wasn’t going to happen. In the end, I think everyone was happy with my choices. Julie got a Mickey skirt and a glass Mickey head Christmas ornament, Sarah got Mickey earrings, an Epcot pin and an Expedition Everest pin, David got a ball cap and yardage guide from the Players Championship, and Drew got a pop-up book with Mickey characters. And I was successfully allowed to re-enter the house.
Those signs are awesome. But I get it. You might not have had a house to hang them in if you got them. I think you chose wisely.

I look forward to the next great Oblivious family adventure! Have a great time!

P1050136.JPG
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Great mini report. You may have convinced me that we should go to the space center when we move and start exploring FL. Enjoy your next adventure. Can't wait for the report!

I'm sorry your parents weren't in the mood for a Dismeet. But I totally get where they're coming from, too. But at least you had a chance to visit DTD and see Kathy for a minutes~

But it was still good enough to tell who was there.

And I can even see what @KatMark is holding in her hand. :rolleyes1

Shocking, isn't it? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Seriously!!!! Here too?????

Mark, I hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to hear all about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!