The Disney Hobo Life! An April 2017 TR (Finished 08/05)

coloredimage

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

I am literally posting this opener before I even get my photos onto my computer to edit, but I wanted to properly get it started before my April break ended and I would be back to updating on weekends like I normally do for TRs.

For those of you who have never read my trip reports before, I'm Elle!
26902272315_056f736e0f_b.jpg

I'm 29 years old and spend my days working as a 7th grade ELA teacher. My favorite park is Magic Kingdom but Epcot is a very, very close second. I waffle about my favorite princess - Tiana or Merida - but Merida may be winning. My favorite classic princess is Aurora. Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates are my favorite rides. My favorite non-princesses are Daisy Duck, Nick Wilde, and Boba Fett (if we're counting Star Wars too, and I always do!).

For those of you who are very used to the TRs I've done for both Disneyland and WDW in the past few years, this is where I'd start to talk about Jey, my best friend from high school and usual travel buddy when it comes to Disney. I may even mention Liz, my childhood friend and former CM who never misses a chance to play in the parks.

Neither of those people are in this TR though!

This trip, instead of wearing my usual hat of world's laziest Disney blogger, I was Auntie.

Yup! I went down to meet up with my friend E, her best friend J, her husband T, and her kids A and L.
I have no pictures to help you because, y'know, I haven't uploaded my photos yet (oops!) but E is in her early 30s and has been married to T for a while. She's a former CM and a teacher at a tech school. T works for the high school in the same district I work in. J is my age and is also a teacher.

This trip was to celebrate A's 3rd birthday and L's 1st birthday, since they're both right after break, and we're all teachers so this was the easiest time for anyone to go.

I'm being vague about details because I like surprises but it was a jam-packed week so settle in!

Chapters

15 April 2017
-
Chapter One: "The Adventure Begins!"
- Chapter Two: "Best Day Ever!"
- Chapter Three: "Funny Old Bear!"
- Chapter Four: "That Animatronic is Sassing Me!"
- Chapter Five: "Top of the World!"
- Chapter Six: "One Day More!"
- Chapter the Last: "Going Home!"

Last edited:
OMG am I first??? I think that is a first!! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!! I actually found you by searching for "posting pictures" because I can't seem to be able to post any!!

peeking in from Texas to say I'm following along! (also pls someone teach me your picture and gif posting ways, I'm from tumblr we have an easier system there.)

OMG am I first??? I think that is a first!! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!! I actually found you by searching for "posting pictures" because I can't seem to be able to post any!!

omg you are first! Yay!! That's also really weird haha. I usually just copy the image address and then click on the little icon that looks like mountains (between the film and smiley face) and paste the url there.

peeking in from Texas to say I'm following along! (also pls someone teach me your picture and gif posting ways, I'm from tumblr we have an easier system there.)

Yay! Welcome! :) Just copy the image address, click on the icon that looks like a photo of mountains, and paste the url, that's what I do!

Chapter One: The Adventure Begins!

My original plan for the 15th was to sleep as much as I could to prepare for the flight and the week I was about to embark on. We all know sleeping in Disney is not an option! I was going to originally going to use the 14th to pack, but I ended up working a half day and running errands in the afternoon, so that got shot through.

I had to pack a few extra things so I spent most of the morning dealing with how to pack those and keeping my suitcase under weight. I had wanted to do that the night before but my friend Liz and her DBF had asked me to go out to dinner with them then go hear Liz’s brothers in law play live and I couldn't say no to such a perfectly relaxing start to my vacation.

Also my car had been egged by some awesome human the night before, so I had to go and deal with THAT mess, which ate up even more of my time.

I was weirdly nervous about this day. It’s not the first time i’ve traveled by myself. I’m a born and raised New England girl, but I spent about a year and a half traveling from Boston to the U.K. And Ireland because I was living there full time. I think it was just the fact that my bag may have been overweight since I'm usually such a light packer. This trip, I wasn't sure where I would be sleeping at any given point, so I packed my camp pad just in case.

But soon I was ready to go! Of course I had to take the obligatory "I'm going to Disney" selfie I take before any trip!

33815576610_602c768827_b.jpg

I had never flown out of Worcester before. It’s the smallest of the New England airports that I’ve been to, but not the smallest airport I’ve ever been to. There are four gates instead of the two that Kerry Airport has (now THAT would be the smallest airport I've ever flown out of!). But I wasn’t sure how to gauge how busy it’d be, so my parents and I left my house around 2:40. They were nice enough to hang around after their normal Saturday morning errands to bring me to the airport before heading to their house.

It takes about a half an hour to get from my house to the airport, so I was pulling my bag out of my dad’s car at about 3:11. I walked into the airport and there was nobody at the JetBlue desk, so I easily dropped off my bag (under 50 lbs - phew!) and headed up to the security gate. It was super busy, guys.

33815579640_4cd8ab97a9_b.jpg

In all seriousness, when I left the JetBlue desk, they informed me that security wasn't even open yet so I had headed into the restroom, and by the time I had gone upstairs there was a grand total of three people in front of me in the security line (technically five, but the couple I went passed has stepped aside to pull up their boarding passes on their phones). I was even chosen for additional screening and it still only took three minutes to go through security in total.

Once through I popped into the little market that they have in the terminal. My normal pre-flight routine no matter where I go is to get coffee at Dunkin', Starbucks, or the minuscule times I'm lucky enough to have a Peet's or Costa nearby, but there was seriously just this one store. So I ended up getting this:

34042558852_dd89c306bb_b.jpg

A smoked turkey sandwich, diet coke, and pringles. I barely ever drink soda anymore, but I needed some sort of caffeine to get me through the day.

Around 3:45 I got a text saying that my flight would be delayed by about five minutes. No big deal - I just had to figure out what to do with myself for the extra hour I had to kill - I’m so used to big airports like Logan, Heathrow or LAX that I wasn’t prepared for the lack of hustle and bustle. I ended up texting my friends and reading the book I had brought with me.

Also, can I just say that the employees at the airport were all super nice? Like I didn’t expect so many smiles! I’m always super friendly and polite with people who work in airlines because it’s gotta be a hard job (or, really, with anyone - I try to have that general attitude whenever I deal with people), but it’s still nice to see! Honestly, major kudos to everyone at ORH!

We boarded by about 5:10, and it was a super speedy loading. I was the first one in for the second round of general seating, and by the time I got to my seat the flight attendants were announcing that everyone was on the plane. I had a row to myself, which was great because I was able to stretch out and relax. It was freaky to see the city I grew up in from the air let me tell you! All of you people who live in big cities and fly out of them may know what I mean!

I spent the time on the plane listening to The Nerdist podcast, an old episode of Ask Me Another, and reading. Super exciting, I know. I did take some plane pictures, because they're my favorite things:

33815578750_40ed083404_b.jpg

34042559632_d31d600603_b.jpg

34042557732_9214d5656d_b.jpg

I made it to the airport around 8:00. I struck up a conversation with the woman next to me and we continued it throughout the monorail to the main terminal and at baggage. She was local and assumed I was too but we had a great chat about the area and work, etc., and our bags showed up at about the same time which was great coincidence.

I headed over to the elevator and took it back up to the third floor. I was staying at the Hyatt for the night (something I never would have thought of it not for reading chunkymonkey’s latest WDW trip report!), so I headed through the main lobby and up the escalator to…

...a seriously long, slow moving line.

At least their lobby is pretty to look at

33815575520_780933e464_b.jpg

It looked like one guest was having a problem so that was tangling up the manager and one of the women at the front desk, because once he was settled the manager came over to talk to us all and the line started to move quickly. It took maybe ten minutes, where I was texting my friends from home and my parents to let them know I was in Florida safely as well as talking to J about when they were going to pick me up in the morning. But I was easily through the line and hopped into the elevator.

I was on the 7th floor of the hotel. The girl at the desk gave me the option of being closer to the elevators for a speedy departure in the morning but I told her wherever was easiest for her to put me was fine. As it was, I ended up being about midway down the first hallway, fairly close to the elevators.

When I went in I was a moderately good Dis-er and took a couple of pictures of the room.

34042556752_88b78c8592_b.jpg

Notice that there is a cot in my room as well as the King Bed. Had I been traveling with children, this would have been super helpful. As it was, it was super helpful for me anyway as I could just plop my suitcase on top of it and it was at a perfect height for me to reach in without having to place it on the floor. Major plus as my back had been bothering me for a few weeks.

I was particularly amused by the fact that my room had a balcony overlooking the lobby.

34042555782_d5e3d945eb_b.jpg

It felt a little like I was staying in a mall, but once I closed the door and the curtains I couldn't hear anything downstairs, which was great.

I showered and rearranged my things, making sure to pull out my chargers and charge all my electronics to get ready for the next day. Then I pulled out my Diet Coke bottle of wine and the last of my pringles from dinner and settled into the giant king bed to watch Ms. Fisher’s Mysteries.

34068921961_e0cf3124a8_b.jpg

Oh, yeah, you read that right. I had bought one of those small Moda boxes of wine to have on my first night of vacation, but when I brought it home I dropped it and had to put the wine into another container to save it.

34042554522_0870c5fab5_b.jpg

I went to bed around 10:30, with my alarm set for 7:30. Through J, E had told me she would be at the airport to pick me up the next morning at 10:30 at the latest. I knew she couldn't give me a full answer until the morning because she couldn't plan on the kiddos so I figured I’d get up early enough that I knew I would have the time to get ready and be out of the room with time to spare.

I fell asleep watching Full House reruns and smelling Lush (it was wafting in from the main lobby - I wasn't complaining!). It was around 11 by the time I actually fell asleep.

And then at 1, I woke up again. The TV had switched from Full House to Fresh Prince. Apparently when I hit the "sleep" button on the TV it hadn't worked.

This isn't actually a huge issue, but I'm a creature of habit. There are certain shows I watch because I've seen them so many times they can act as white noise. When I'm in a Disney hotel, it's one of the loop channels like Stacey. At home, my main shows are the Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, or Friends, but Full House works just as well.

Fresh Prince? Not so much. By 1:30 I realized I was actively listening to the tv and not sleeping so I had to get up, turn the TV off, find my iPad, and started Friends up quietly on Netflix. THEN I managed to fall asleep for real.

So much for a good night's sleep, huh?

Chapter Two: Best Day Ever!

Part One
I drifted until about 6. Fine, I thought, my alarm is set for 7:30 anyway so i’ll just relax until 7. I told E I would get up around 8 so i’ll just give myself extra time.

By 6:30 I was awake and that was that. E had sent me a text message - she had been awoken by a very excited A at 5:30 - so I answered her (they were having an Easter breakfast before she picked me up) and tried to relax but was up to get ready by 7.

It took me about an hour or so to get ready - I did my makeup, pulled my hair up, put everything I had used the night before into my suitcase or bag, and headed out. Of course first I had to take a picture of my new park bag. Spoiler alert: I have never loved a bag more - it never got too heavy, I could use it as a purse or a backpack, and it held everything I needed it to (lipstick, mini sunblock, phone when I didn't have pockets, charger, wallet, sunglasses, poncho, notebook, and at one point I managed to get my camera in there!)

34073101252_1d07c61553_b.jpg

I stopped by the concierge before I left, just to make sure everything was all set, then headed downstairs to find something to have for breakfast.

I ended up settling on a smoothie from Starbucks, because I wasn’t all that hungry. Though I did spend a good deal of time wandering around the area in front of the Hyatt trying to figure out what I wanted. I sat around people-watching for a little while before heading down to passenger pick up. E and I had agreed that she would pick me up on the A side, so I picked a spot on a bench and waited for them.

About 10 minutes after I sat down they picked me up and we were off! They picked me up at 8:45, which was only about 15 minutes later than E had wanted to.

So our original plan was the spend all day in Magic Kingdom, but there was only one thing that A had asked to do this entire trip, something that wasn’t going to be there after the 16th, so we made a little pit stop to another park first.

Where did we go?

34073100532_5b48d5e596_b.jpg

Hollywood Studios!

We headed right on over to One Man’s Dream and got into the line for Moana. We waited probably about a half hour. The kids were super excited to meet her!

I tried to get a picture of just her but it ended up blurry.

34073099562_5ede763914_b.jpg

This is a pretty big on-going issue for this trip - my camera's 10-30 mm was all sorts of wonky the entire trip, sometimes acting as though there was no light, sometimes blurring out pictures it normally has no issues with, and finally on the second to last day it just errored and gave up completely. When I got home I did some research, initially to get a new lens as my 30-110 mm lens worked fine so I knew the issue was lens related not body related. What I found was that it's a known recall from Nikon and I can send it to them for service for free. Phew!

Either way, my photos from my camera, not as good as they could be!

Anyway, A was super excited to meet Moana!

34073098792_7c570fb323_b.jpg

J and I got our picture taken with Moana as well. Again, this was taken with my camera, hence the super blur.

34073098002_8cfee36178_b.jpg

We left fairly quickly afterwards because we were planning on spending most of the morning and afternoon at Hollywood Studios the next day anyway. On the way out, however, we caught this survey. We were shocked at how many people wanted to be frozen in a Wampa cave and had a pretty intense conversation about it on the walk out of the park.

34073097192_448a0b44db_b.jpg

We decided to just leave the car at the park instead of dealing with the TTC so we walked to the start of the path to the Boardwalk where a bus was waiting for us.

Popping in from our DL thread to check out your WSW report. Great report so far. Good that they keep up with the recent movie characters.

Found this TR - can't wait to read more. I liked the pictures of the Hyatt. I'd like to stay there sometime when we get a late flight in. Also, the Moana M&G looks fun!

Also my car had been egged by some awesome human the night before

WTH?? People are jerks!

Of course I had to take the obligatory "I'm going to Disney" selfie I take before any trip!

cute!!

It was super busy, guys.

LOL, wow, that is some crowd!
Our local airport is like this at some points of the day. We got there too early for a flight on our first time flying from here, and it was so dead and so empty. We didn't know what to do with ourselves!

I had a row to myself

I think this is my airplane dream - no seatmates!!

Ask Me Another

I. Love. Ophira. Eisenberg. So much.

when I brought it home I dropped it and had to put the wine into another container to save it.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Yes! You must always save the wine!!

I love your ears but I am so jealous of that phone case!!

We headed right on over to One Man’s Dream and got into the line for Moana.

I am really sad Moana is gone from DHS now. We missed meeting her in December and this was a major priority for me. I'm glad you got to see her, she looks fantastic!!

Great TR so far. I read about the idea of staying a night at the airport hotel from @chunkymonkey as well and would be doing it, except then we ended up getting a pretty early flight so we decided might as well just head right to the bubble! But I definitely will do it next time I can only head out at night.

That survey is pretty strange!!!

Popping in from our DL thread to check out your WSW report. Great report so far. Good that they keep up with the recent movie characters.

Welcome - glad you came over :)

Following, can't wait for more!

Welcome!

Found this TR - can't wait to read more. I liked the pictures of the Hyatt. I'd like to stay there sometime when we get a late flight in. Also, the Moana M&G looks fun!

Welcome! Thanks - I was impressed with the Hyatt as a whole. It was a really good way to start my vacation.

WTH?? People are jerks!

cute!!

LOL, wow, that is some crowd!
Our local airport is like this at some points of the day. We got there too early for a flight on our first time flying from here, and it was so dead and so empty. We didn't know what to do with ourselves!

I think this is my airplane dream - no seatmates!!

I. Love. Ophira. Eisenberg. So much.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Yes! You must always save the wine!!

I love your ears but I am so jealous of that phone case!!

I am really sad Moana is gone from DHS now. We missed meeting her in December and this was a major priority for me. I'm glad you got to see her, she looks fantastic!!

I was so mad about my car! So. mad. Ugh. I loved not having a seatmate - that only ever happened to me once before on a trip home from London on Virgin. I was so happy. Oh, and you would love the episode of Ask Me Another I was listening to - the guest was Leslie Odom Jr!

Alway, ALWAYS save the wine! And I'm going to be super sad in June when I have to get a new phone. I need it desperately - my phone barely holds any information on it because it's a replacement from when my phone took a swim, but I adore this case. I may try and find it in a 7.

Great TR so far. I read about the idea of staying a night at the airport hotel from @chunkymonkey as well and would be doing it, except then we ended up getting a pretty early flight so we decided might as well just head right to the bubble! But I definitely will do it next time I can only head out at night.

That survey is pretty strange!!!

Welcome! There's only one flight out of my local airport at that one time so I had to do it that way or go to Boston lol. Isn't it a strange survey?!

Hi Elle! I'm here! Glad you started a TR!
You look super cute! LOVE the ears!

Wasn't staying at the airport kinda fun? It was just so nice to go straight to your room without leaving. Once I spent a whole day at MCO just because we were waiting for our cruise the next day. A little bit like The Terminal but luckily MCO has a lot of stuff around to keep us occupied. We're doing that next Tuesday. Seems like MCO has become my home away from home, LOL.

Cute Moana pics! I'm a little bummed she's not going to be there next week. I don't know when she'll come back but I hear it'll be at MK?

Fellow New Englander here! I love flying out of Worcester, it's always so quiet and easy going :) Those ears are so pretty! Can't wait to read more!

Hi Elle! I'm here! Glad you started a TR!
You look super cute! LOVE the ears!

Wasn't staying at the airport kinda fun? It was just so nice to go straight to your room without leaving. Once I spent a whole day at MCO just because we were waiting for our cruise the next day. A little bit like The Terminal but luckily MCO has a lot of stuff around to keep us occupied. We're doing that next Tuesday. Seems like MCO has become my home away from home, LOL.

Cute Moana pics! I'm a little bummed she's not going to be there next week. I don't know when she'll come back but I hear it'll be at MK?

Hi! Glad you found it :) . Thanks so much! I really enjoyed staying in the Hyatt - I was in my room about an hour after wheels down in Orlando and I'd probably have been there even faster if there hadn't been an issue at the desk.

I heard she'll be back in MK, just haven't heard a start date yet. I'm hoping she'll be back soon though - her line was always pretty busy from what I've read!

Fellow New Englander here! I love flying out of Worcester, it's always so quiet and easy going :) Those ears are so pretty! Can't wait to read more!

Hi! Welcome! It was so neat to fly out of Worcester - my mother's sister used to live next to the airport most of my life (she just moved to Maine a few years ago) and now my father's sister lives right there too so it's shockingly convenient!

Part Two

I was going to wait until the weekend for this update, but I’ll be in Newport Saturday and don’t want to forget!

We had left Hollywood Studios and took the bus to Magic Kingdom. There was barely anyone at bag check or at the kiosks when we got there, so we got in with ease. The CM at the tapstile wished us a Happy Easter and I had honestly forgotten it was even Easter!

34073096102_4d26aa40f0_b.jpg

It was 11:55 when we made it into the park. We stopped just inside to try and figure out what we were going to do when J spotted a familiar face...the husband of our friend M! We quickly spotted M going back over to him with their youngest and we managed to run over and get in a quick hi before they headed out to Epcot for the rest of the day.

A CM came over and asked if we were going to watch the parade. We hadn’t realized the parade was coming through so we said yes and she let us scurry over to the flagpole for a better view. We watched the pre-parade which was specially for Easter and we enjoyed singing along to the easter Parade soundtrack they used.

34099438851_5dc5b77d99_b.jpg

34230005745_7d8605bd57_b.jpg

34099435931_7c3924cceb_b.jpg

34099434091_c03802bd2a_b.jpg

34099431851_d302c69d0e_b.jpg

34099430111_e45763ec72_b.jpg

34099428951_f38d5ea8b6_b.jpg

34230000775_ab285db1d6_b.jpg

34229999985_ec9dcf6d9b_b.jpg

34099424441_86b7ce8c03_b.jpg

34099422581_cdcc329268_b.jpg

34189485376_6d256dce8b_b.jpg

34189484906_cb8a69349e_b.jpg

34189484106_0b72f68ee1_b.jpg

34099417571_fe0e1ece57_b.jpg

34099416191_2e800b5a05_b.jpg

After the pre-parade Festival of Fantasy was not going to be on Main Street for a little while and the kiddos were fading fast - they needed a break in some AC, to get changed, and have a snack so we headed over to the Baby Care Center.

34099414441_b7104881fb_b.jpg

34099411591_2f38d54e75_b.jpg

We were in there long enough for the parade to pass through the Hub and all of us to have a much needed water break! We had a FastPass to get to so we headed on out!

34099410621_37417586c8_b.jpg

E and T start their trips with Small World almost every time - which is good, because I tend to as well! It’s A and L’s favorite ride, and A sang through it the whole ride - so adorable!

As we were going to get the stroller to find lunch we saw that Peter was about by Peter Pan so we had to drop into his line. A was super excited.

There was a family in front of us in line that was from….somewhere in Europe - I don’t remember where. But they had made Peter’s shadow - two in fact! They gave one to him and had him sign the other for them, and they were all really excited to meet Peter Pan. I don’t know who this family was but I enjoyed watching their interaction a lot.

A was super adorable with Peter, but L was not a fan. Peter sat down on the ground next to her and tried cooing to her but she was having none of it. A made up for it in cuteness though!

33845908820_48dfb4f420_b.jpg

33845907700_e49cf46597_b.jpg

33845906730_fc1c470778_b.jpg

33845905130_726fd6fd21_b.jpg

We figured we would just stop in at Columbia Harbor House for lunch since it was right there and it was not that crowded!

I ended up getting the chicken breast nuggets and fish combo with french fries. It was okay, not the best, but it hit the spot. I have no idea what I got for a drink - probably diet coke?

34229985775_bdfc095514_b.jpg

After lunch we headed out for our next adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter