The Disney Ducks (Not Donald, lol) Thread ! :-)

Dionnemay

Mouseketeer
Little Web.jpg

Any repeat visitor to Disneyland (even WDW) knows about the "Ducks" there. They walk around in the crowd like people; they come right up to you looking for treats; they stand in line with you, even fearlessly float 10 feet away from the fiery globe at Illuminations as though they have the best viewing seats in the house...

Once at DL, I had staked out a prime spot in front of the castle to wait for the fireworks show. I was stretched out on my little blanket on the ground and a female waddled right up to me and perched herself down on my blanket next to me. Other people waiting saw this and were quite entertained by it - as was I. She hung out there on my blanket for over half an hour - just chillin' and waiting for the fireworks.

My kids and I often pass the time in line wondering about them - and envying them. Sometimes we'd imagine where they came from, what they went through to get to Disneyland, if they knew how lucky they where, etc... I jokingly told my kids that Disney World/Land must be to Ducks like what Heaven is to people; they've heard about it all their life, they're not sure if its real but hope that it is, and the ones who get there are the ones who believe in it enough to make the journey on blind faith.

Then it occurred to me - why hasn't anyone ever written about these ducks? I mean, everyone has seen them and wondered about them - they're pretty much the mascots of Disney Theme parks.

So I decided to do it. I decided to write a story that answers all of the questions my kids have asked about the "Disney Ducks". Actually I wrote a screenplay which, I'm shocked but happy to say just won an honorable mention and finalist in a screenplay contest.:tilt: I didnt do it with any real end in mind -
I just wanted to finally tell their story - I think they're worth it.

This is a pic of the duck who inspired me to finally write his story. He came up to me while I was on the patio at the Rose and Crown one evening at WDW last year. I had barely sat down with my fish -n-chips when he just appeared out of the bushes - not 3 feet from me, and began "asking" me for my chips. Actually it was more like a demand... I took a picture of him - just as I had taken a picture of the female who usurped my blanket in DL the year before. I didn't know I was going t write about them until I was looking at his picture on the flight home and the name "Webster" hit me, and the rest is history.

Anyway just thought I'd share that.

And I thought it would be fun to share our pictures encounters with these lovable Disney ducks in a thread:love:

I don't have pictures, but I got to pet some baby ducklings once, before Mama Duck decided she didn't like that and told me to go away ;) I love the ducks. They add to the ambiance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter