The Disboards App

ww52

DIS Veteran
Not sure this is the right place for this post -=
I've been off the boards for years but with a trip coming up next year I'm back. Last trip in 2011; so much has changed in my life, life in general, WDW etc

One thing I realized is I did not own a smartphone or tablet back then. (Not sure they existed - though probably the iPhone did). Anyway I have both now (Android based). And so I searched for a DisBoards app - and saw that there IS One. Great - or so I thought.

It not only doesn't work, it has many many many 1 star reviews spanning the last few YEARS.

Now in fairness - the boards work very well in the mobile browser version - easy to read / navigate. So the app really isn't needed.

And therefore - why even have it? The 2.4 average review casts a very unfair impression on DISBoards for those whose first and maybe only connection with it is through Google Play.

If in fact there are no plans to fix the app - then I humbly suggest it be removed. Again - why give Android users the impression that DIS Boards is an inferior place to get Disney info - when in fact it's probably the absolute BEST place around.

Bill

That's my point - it shouldn't be on Google Play. The expectation is an app available on Google Play actually works. I would think the fine people at DisBoards would not want someone's first / only experience with DisBoards to be with an obsolete app that is not listed as such on Google Play. Hence - as I suggested - it should be removed rather than give people who discover it a false negative impression of DisBoards.

I know this is correct, but I feel like Pete just plugged this app on TheDISUnplugged last week...anyone know if that was the DISboards app, or a different one he was talking about?

Yes, I just downloaded it after his mention. I was coming here to suggest an improvement (adding a Back button) but if it's not supported, I'll just delete it.

Of course they should have an app. And they do. But it's broke and no one here seems to care they have a broken app on Google Play.

At the very least - if you are not going to support an app - then DON'T have it on Google Play. I would think that would be intuitive. People download an app expecting it to work. Why create a negative customer experience (almost intentionally since it's known the app isn't supported).

So because you can access the site directly, just like you can access weather, news, RedBox, Amazon, grocery stores, DIS isn't updating, fixing or otherwise making the app work?

Guess all of those other companies are fools. Why have the app when you can just access their normal site?

So because you can access the site directly, just like you can access weather, news, RedBox, Amazon, grocery stores, DIS isn't updating, fixing or otherwise making the app work?

Guess all of those other companies are fools. Why have the app when you can just access their normal site?

While I guess I'm getting a bit obsessive about this - it's only because of my love and respect for this community and the wonderful people who support it. We are in a VERY different world now than just a few years ago - and certainly very different than when the DIS started. For many people - their phones or tablets are the ONLY way the interface with the internet.

So imagine a person looking for a good source of Disney info. They hear about DISBoards. And they very naturally (for them) first look to see if there is an app. And they find it. And see it's rated 2.4.

Maybe they install it anyway. And in fact it IS garbage. They don't think "well, I'll just go to the main web site". They will think - this is a useless or at the least old-fashioned community. There are likely better out there.

There are NOT better ones out there - but that's not the point. WHY give anyone such a negative experience.

I'm NOT saying "fix it and support it". I'm saying - remove it from Google Play (and the Apple App Store too assuming its there and also unsupported).

Is that REALLY unreasonable? Or is it difficult? Why are the mods/tech people being so stubborn on this?

First of all, Amazon has an app.

Second of all, the normal site is brutal to use on the phone. It runs slow and there are times where it's actually difficult to type in a reply. Before you say it's my phone, let me quickly tell you it's not. I have an S7 that runs lightning fast on every other website that I use. The exception is Disboards.

First of all, Amazon has an app.

Second of all, the normal site is brutal to use on the phone. It runs slow and there are times where it's actually difficult to type in a reply. Before you say it's my phone, let me quickly tell you it's not. I have an S7 that runs lightning fast on every other website that I use. The exception is Disboards.
First of all, you missed my point.

Second of all, of course Amazon has an app. All of the places I list have an app. I actually stated that.

My point was, if simply having a site that could be accessed through your phone is enough, then DIS must think that all of these places are wasting their time updating their app. But they aren't wasting their time. People download and use apps because they are easier to use. Faster to use.

DIS needs to get with the program.

First of all, you missed my point.

Second of all, of course Amazon has an app. All of the places I list have an app. I actually stated that.

My point was, if simply having a site that could be accessed through your phone is enough, then DIS must think that all of these places are wasting their time updating their app. But they aren't wasting their time. People download and use apps because they are easier to use. Faster to use.

DIS needs to get with the program.

Got it. Agreed.

With the back and forth going on here - we all seem to be in basic agreement - it makes sense for DIS to have a (working) app.

Is this board not reviewed by the tech team?

IS there even a tech team??

With the back and forth going on here - we all seem to be in basic agreement - it makes sense for DIS to have a (working) app.

Is this board not reviewed by the tech team?

IS there even a tech team??

There must be a tech team since the site shuts down early each morning for about 2 hours between 4am and 6am EST. Supposedly the reason is "routine maintenance." So someone must be doing something.

I just downloaded the app myself. Upon opening the app I received a message stating:

"The remote server sent an unknown response. This could be the result of the forum software plugin being outdated or having a conflict."

While I'm still able to access the site through the browser on my phone, it would have been nice to be able to use the app instead.

I made my original post on this over a month ago. The only response from anyone official on the boards (Kathy) is that it's obsolete.

My point was VERY simple - there is an obsolete app available on Google Play (and the Apple App store?)

Why?

Why is the DISBoard tech team - and all the administrators for that matter - perfectly OK with people discovering a DISBoards app - only to find out it's garbage.

Deflections like "it's obsolete" and "use the main site" ignore the point.

Do you not understand the point? Why is there NO response to the point? Why don't you care? Very disturbing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter