The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

"Kyrgyz are big tea drinkers. They like tea (chai) with milk, salt, sugar and/or butter. This is how Tibetans, Mongolians and Kazakhs drink their tea. In Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Afghanistan they like green tea consumed straight without sugar from a bowl or a glass, not a cup. Black is popular among Russians. Coffee is either instant or espresso-style served on a small cup, without milk."

I found this interesting. Yet you have it in quotations. Did you copy/paste that from somewhere or did you just know/remember it?

They like tea (chai) with milk, salt, sugar and/or butter. This is how Tibetans, Mongolians and Kazakhs drink their tea.

Interesting. I grew up in the land of coffee drinkers. (When my uncles used to come over to visit with my dad, my mom would put on 3 pots of coffee at once to keep up with the demand.:eek:) So I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to tea. Mostly just drink it with honey when I'm sick.
I had never heard of drinking tea with butter before. I don't know why, but this fascinates me.

Fun update! You are a really talented writer. If the whole nurse/pilot/mom/Disney nerd thing doesn't work out, you should write for a living!

Jill in CO

Dang it! <scrounges for pennies.... realizes Canada doesn't have pennies any more.>

Oh dear. I've seen that before.... like in Crapistan where the lowest denomination was a 50 tenge. Usually decommissioning of low value monies = inflation issues, no?

The book "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" I hear is a good one.

Maybe I'll let you hold onto me and maybe I won't kick your feet out from under you.

I'm in deep doo-doo if I ever find myself on ice with you aren't I? :scared:

Then I'm hiding it!

Party pooper.

Yeah.... on my second in a row. Feeling it.

No doubt! :hug:

You're threats are of no concern to...

Hey!

Ow!

Stop it!!! Okay! Okay! I'm sorry!

sheesh.

Did I tell you I bought a flame thrower the other day? I'm almost giddy to use it this weekend.

I have..... once.

You have magical powers!

I'm like butter.

Smooooooooooth!!!

They do.
Everyone has a smart phone nowadays.

We saw that MOST people even in rural Crapistan would opt to buy a cell phone before they upgraded to indoor plumbing or a table and chairs. Or even a bed. So, this... is true.

Do not mess with him.
He will tear up your train tracks!

Yes, he CAN!!!!

But probably can read/speak English and just assumed the "doesn't apply to me" attitude that is so prevalent these days.

Coming soon to a voting booth near you!!!

What's old is new again.

I can't wait until that applies to me.

I would like a new back. You?

I said "constantly"

I'm already at frequently.

Does it work?

People know how to dress for cold up North.

I guess like we know how to dress for the rain.

I found this interesting. Yet you have it in quotations. Did you copy/paste that from somewhere or did you just know/remember it?

Yes, I did copy it from a Central Asian cuisine website, but I have drank countless hundreds of cups of tea with bread, fried sheep guts, homemade noodles, horse sausage... you name it. I know intimately what this tastes like and how to cook it in a samovar like this:

2506173424_4ab63e1bda_b.jpg

Interesting. I grew up in the land of coffee drinkers. (When my uncles used to come over to visit with my dad, my mom would put on 3 pots of coffee at once to keep up with the demand.:eek:) So I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to tea. Mostly just drink it with honey when I'm sick.
I had never heard of drinking tea with butter before. I don't know why, but this fascinates me.

We had to have all of our coffee brought in by friends.... tough times! LOL!!

Tea is an instant road to friendship. You do NOT just go to someone's house for a visit unless you have a couple of hours. You can ALWAYS just show up unannounced and they will immediately send someone out to light the samovar (or teapot if it's an apartment) make a heavy snack or meal, and expect you to stay for a nice long visit. Sometimes just waiting for the food can take more than an hour because they will go to the store and buy food for you. It's insane!!!

Yup, pretty far north - close to Edmonton, Alberta, apparently the most Northern metropolitan area in North America. Alas, no polar bears though, @pkondz is hogging them all. But he does share all of his snow with us.

OH! Another interesting fact!

I'm not sure what's worse.... snow or polar bears... Hmmm...:scratchin

Fun update! You are a really talented writer. If the whole nurse/pilot/mom/Disney nerd thing doesn't work out, you should write for a living!

Jill in CO

Awww, thanks, Jill. :) That's very kind of you. I do love to write and have very often thought about a book of life experiences. Maybe someday. :)

Oh dear. I've seen that before.... like in Crapistan where the lowest denomination was a 50 tenge. Usually decommissioning of low value monies = inflation issues, no?

No. Just... pennies don't make sense anymore. They're not worth the metal they're stamped on.

The book "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" I hear is a good one.

Never heard of that one.

I'm in deep doo-doo if I ever find myself on ice with you aren't I? :scared:

:rolleyes1

Did I tell you I bought a flame thrower the other day? I'm almost giddy to use it this weekend.

What the what????
Why on Earth did you buy a flame thrower?!?!?!?!

Bad neighbors?

You have magical powers!

But of course I do.

We saw that MOST people even in rural Crapistan would opt to buy a cell phone before they upgraded to indoor plumbing or a table and chairs. Or even a bed. So, this... is true.

See?

Yes, he CAN!!!!

Toldja!

Coming soon to a voting booth near you!!!

:laughing:

I would like a new back. You?

Oh, geez. Yes please.

Does it work?

But of course.

I guess like we know how to dress for the rain.

::yes::

Yes, I did copy it from a Central Asian cuisine website, but I have drank countless hundreds of cups of tea with bread, fried sheep guts, homemade noodles, horse sausage... you name it. I know intimately what this tastes like and how to cook it in a samovar like this:

Really! All that in tea. Huh! Had no idea.

Is that your photo, or one off the interwebs?

No. Just... pennies don't make sense anymore. They're not worth the metal they're stamped on.

This is one of my dd's pet peeves. She really wants the US to either stop making pennies, or start making them out of something that is worth less than a penny. Since right now, it costs us more than a penny to make a penny. She is unsympathetic to my argument that we would lose our Land Of Lincoln specialness, since he is also on the five dollar bill. In the meantime, Illinois is the only state that takes pennies for paying tolls on the toll roads. (Tho I haven't done that in years, since I have an I-Pass, to avoid spending twice as much every time...)

This is one of my dd's pet peeves. She really wants the US to either stop making pennies, or start making them out of something that is worth less than a penny. Since right now, it costs us more than a penny to make a penny. She is unsympathetic to my argument that we would lose our Land Of Lincoln specialness, since he is also on the five dollar bill. In the meantime, Illinois is the only state that takes pennies for paying tolls on the toll roads. (Tho I haven't done that in years, since I have an I-Pass, to avoid spending twice as much every time...)
Takes note to collect pennies just for this purpose.

I is for: Interior Sierra Leone

Wave after wave of thunderstorms rolled over us through the night providing hour after hour of sleepless agony. The cockroaches seemed happy enough as we heard them skittering beneath us further interrupting our elusive slumber. The day would be a long one with several more stops and travel back to the city, so dawn was the appointed hour of getting ready to depart Mayola. It didn’t take long to throw on our last sets of clean clothes, throw a brush through our hair and over our teeth, and slather a bit of deodorant on, doing a favor to those sitting next to us in the car.

One thing I’d wanted to learn was how to carry stuff on my head, but time was far too short and our morning much too rushed for that. So, I was left to simply pose with this beautiful young mom and her baby with some unknown burden atop her.

We bid goodbye to the tidy little clinic where we’d taught our class of attentive students and wondered if someday we’d ever be back.

Several villagers were already up to face the day- toddlers getting up before dawn seems to be a universal dilemma.

The torrential rains made for an interesting 10-mile commute out of the villages back to the highway. The deep holes we’d bumped and jostled over 2 nights before became swimming pool-sized, car-swallowing caverns that would come back to haunt us later.

The air was steamy already as we drove along the wet red dirt track; the thick jungle gave way occasionally to tall grasses and palm trees beside cleared fields presumably once used for agriculture but now fallow or were active rice paddies.

The sunrise treated us to a spectacular view and the tall graceful acacias contrasted against the blushing morning sky is something I’ll never forget. I asked our driver to stop the car and took a few photos from the window. I desperately wished I could have had a tripod and a bit more time.

The grass huts never got old or boring and, every now and then, our driver would slow down just enough for me to get a less blurry photo of one along the way. The children were already busy using their mortar and pestles made from hollowed out palm trunks and long hardwood tree branches.

Wild papaya!

A live coal heap where charcoal is being made and dug for home cooking use.

Our entry onto the highway changed our slower-paced, more picturesque journey into one of terror. We saw several (not just one or two) overturned trucks like this one and crossed the Rokel River once more. The memorial of the dangers of its crossing still present.

Somewhere between our first stop and the bridge, our driver began to nod off. Alarmed, my aunt suggested that either myself or Rebekah take over the wheel, so he could catch an hour of sleep. Petrified, I did. Yes, we went far slower than my passengers were used to; no we never passed another car; no we did not die.

Nearing the village of the first stop, Osman resumed his duties and soon we began to see signs that the people were expecting us. Colorfully costumed children, women in bright skirts and headdresses, and a troupe of drumming musicians met us on the outskirts of town. A gleeful chant filled the air with jubilant cheering and happy clapping. Swept up once again, arm in arm we danced the quarter mile or so to the Town Square’s covered meeting area.

Thankfully, before I wet myself, I found the “bathroom” and hoped I’d not drag my clothes on the rocks.

Continued in next post....

Last edited:
Continued from previous post...

Relieved, it was time for the formal ceremony of speeches, songs, presentations, introductions, etc… It goes without saying that the shade was a welcome companion. Still, it was sultry in the packed pavilion; sweat was an unlimited commodity. And yet, for almost 2 hours we sat and enjoyed a visitor’s welcome African-style.

Afterwards, while everyone was wrapping up their conversations and finding their way back to the cars, I loitered with my camera alongside the road. I began to watch a woman walking along the road with the usual burden on her head. Looking a bit closer, I gasped in surprise. Look closer…

I knew this was a custom; I knew this still happened despite: 1) the suspected transmission of Ebola by handling “bush meat” and 2) the shocking decline of monkey species in W. Africa due to habitat loss and over-hunting. Saddened, I became contemplative with having seen that and used the short drive to the clinic to process my feelings on it.

Arriving at the village clinic, we piled out for a quick tour and presentation of the boxes of supplies we had earmarked for them. The conditions at this clinic compared to the cleaner, tidier, more organized one in Mayola were shocking. It was, in short, deplorable. There was filth everywhere I looked, and the few meager supplies were pathetic. Whether they had them at one time but stolen for black market re-sale or never there, I do not know. The staff, in addition, was bordering on rude and ungrateful. This was very disturbing and later our team decided that we will focus on Mayola for future endeavors where the conditions are more “ready” to learn and receive, grow and develop. Yes, on the surface, the need is greater in Makeni, but with staff not even willing to do the very most basic (like covering up a pit of raw sewage- see below) they are certainly not ready to run an organized, professional clinic.

I did see this solar operated refrigerator that gave me some insight onto a future vaccination campaign.

The labor and delivery room:

Another exam room:

It was also here that we discovered that the roads from the morning completely destroyed one of the cars braking systems and another car wouldn’t start at all. This led to a more than 3-hour delay at the clinic while a mechanic was sought to come and work on the cars while we waited. We watched the kids play with a frisbee that my aunt brought to give away (which quickly led to playground bickering- some things are universal) and then resort back to soccer when the adults confiscated the frisbee.

I took some photos of random things, watched a girl getting her hair braided, and amused myself watching the compound’s chickens. (One of which happened to end up being one of my favorite photos from the whole trip.)

Sorry for the blur... ^

This girl was thrilled to show me the bird she'd found.

A cashew nut tree:

About an hour before we left, we met little Abu and his father. I’ve told that story already, so won’t bore you with another recounting, but this is when and where in our trip we met him.

One car was fixed by now, so we were taken to a home where some fish and cassava leaf stew over rice was made for us. I found a bed to lie down on and take a nap, a place to charge my phone, and spent a few minutes chatting with someone back home. It was a nice time of respite during our busy day!

In another post I will share a bit more about this house and another African social issue...

Our last stop was made late in the day, and uncharacteristically, without fanfare or hoopla, we dropped off a box of supplies to one last clinic and hastily began our return to Freetown. We paid the tolls along the highway, just as we had on our outgoing journey, and with a level of exhaustion I’ve only a few times experienced before arrived at our Freetown accommodations and fell into bed, dirty, stinky, but happy.

Last edited:
throw a brush through our hair and over our teeth, and slather a bit of deodorant on, doing a favor to those sitting next to us in the car.

Hopefully, not the same brush for both...ewww!

One thing I’d wanted to learn was how to carry stuff on my head, but time was far too short and our morning much too rushed for that. So, I was left to simply pose with this beautiful young mom and her baby with some unknown burden atop her.

Nope, never wanted to do that or learn how. More power to ya!

The torrential rains made for an interesting 10-mile commute out of the villages back to the highway. The deep holes we’d bumped and jostled over 2 nights before became swimming pool-sized, car-swallowing caverns that would come back to haunt us later.
But no pictures of you swimming. No evidence of car swallowing either. I see car wallowing.

The sunrise treated us to a spectacular view and the tall graceful acacias contrasted against the blushing morning sky is something I’ll never forget. I asked our driver to stop the car and took a few photos from the window. I desperately wished I could have had a tripod and a bit more time.

Cool pictures, and yep, see why you'd want more time and a tripod.

A live coal heap where coal is being made and dug for home cooking use.

You mean charcoal right? I didn't think you could make coal. Supposedly, coal takes "millions of years".

Somewhere between our first stop and the bridge, our driver began to nod off. Alarmed, my aunt suggested that either myself or Rebekah take over the wheel, so he could catch an hour of sleep. Petrified, I did. Yes, we went far slower than my passengers were used to; no we never passed another car; no we did not die.
Wait, they let you drive? That's even more scary. ;)

Nearing the village of the first stop, Osman resumed his duties and soon we began to see signs that the people were expecting us. Colorfully costumed children, women in bright skirts and headdresses, and a troupe of drumming musicians met us on the outskirts of town. A gleeful chant filled the air with jubilant cheering and happy clapping. Swept up once again, arm in arm we danced the quarter mile or so to the Town Square’s covered meeting area.
And I'm sure the collective sigh of relief from the other passengers.

Thankfully, before I wet myself, I found the “bathroom” and hoped I’d not drag my clothes on the rocks.

Continued in next post....
See, that's why you should've went swimming...could pee in the pool like everyone else.

Afterwards, while everyone was wrapping up their conversations and finding their way back to the cars, I loitered with my camera alongside the road. I began to watch a woman walking along the road with the usual burden on her head. Looking a bit closer, I gasped in surprise. Look closer…

I knew this was a custom; I knew this still happened despite: 1) the suspected transmission of Ebola by handling “bush meat” and 2) the shocking decline of monkey species in W. Africa due to habitat loss and over-hunting. Saddened, I became contemplative with having seen that and used the short drive to the clinic to process my feelings on it.

I looked closely and I thought it was a stuffed animal...didn't look real to me. I wonder if it's a case of being so hungry the risk of Ebola is worth it or if it's a case as with so many here with the "it can't happen to ME" concept.
:sad2:

Arriving at the village clinic, we piled out for a quick tour and presentation of the boxes of supplies we had earmarked for them. The conditions at this clinic compared to the cleaner, tidier, more organized one in Mayola were shocking. It was, in short, deplorable. There was filth everywhere I looked, and the few meager supplies were pathetic. Whether they had them at one time but stolen for black market re-sale or never there, I do not know. The staff, in addition, was bordering on rude and ungrateful. This was very disturbing and later our team decided that we will focus on Mayola for future endeavors where the conditions are more “ready” to learn and receive, grow and develop. Yes, on the surface, the need is greater in Makeni, but with staff not even willing to do the very most basic (like covering up a pit of raw sewage- see below) they are certainly not ready to run an organized, professional clinic.
I could overlook the conditions and uncleanliness, but rude and ungrateful bothers me to the nth degree.

It was also here that we discovered that the roads from the morning completely destroyed one of the cars braking systems and another car wouldn’t start at all. This led to a more than 3-hour delay at the clinic while a mechanic was sought to come and work on the cars while we waited. We watched the kids play with a frisbee that my aunt brought to give away (which quickly led to playground bickering- some things are universal) and then resort back to soccer when the adults confiscated the frisbee.

Yep. Unfortunately the you've got it, I want it, I'm going to try to take it from you syndrome is universal. :sad:

A cashew nut tree:

I didn't realize cashews grew in Africa. I thought they were from S America. Learned something new.

Our last stop was made late in the day, and uncharacteristically, without fanfare or hoopla, we dropped off a box of supplies to one last clinic and hastily began our return to Freetown. We paid the tolls along the highway, just as we had on our outgoing journey, and with a level of exhaustion I’ve only a few times experienced before arrived at our Freetown accommodations and fell into bed, dirty, stinky, but happy.
Happy can trump tired, dirty and stinky!

Wave after wave of thunderstorms rolled over us through the night providing hour after hour of sleepless agony.

Oh, man. And you hadn't slept very well, the previous night either, if I recall correctly.

The cockroaches seemed happy enough

It was the smiles, right? That's how you knew they were happy?

dawn was the appointed hour of getting ready to depart Mayola.

Well, since you're not sleeping anyway, I suppose a dawn departure was probably almost a welcome break from tossing and turning and roach dodging.

throw a brush through our hair and over our teeth

Doc beat me to this one already. ;)

slather a bit of deodorant on,

How does one "slather" a "bit"???

doing a favor to those sitting next to us in the car.

:rolleyes1

One thing I’d wanted to learn was how to carry stuff on my head,

Hah! I can top that! I can stand on my head!
Well... if I have a wall to lean against.
Well... I used to. If I tried it now, I'd probably pass out.

But still! Totally counts!

I am always so amazed at the riot of colours everyone wears!

Three things.
1. Judicious cropping there. :rolleyes:
2. Wonderful shot!
3. That child doesn't look particularly happy! :laughing:

car-swallowing caverns

Oooh! Are we going spelunking???

This looks very familiar. I've driven on very similar roads.
Almost died on very similar roads, too.

cleared fields presumably once used for agriculture but now fallow or were active rice paddies.

So.... it just looks wild to me. How did you know it was cleared and used like that?

The sunrise treated us to a spectacular view

Gorgeous shots!

I desperately wished I could have had a tripod and a bit more time.

I can totally understand that!

The grass huts never got old or boring

Get that too. Just... you've seen them on TV and now here they are! In real life!

The children were already busy using their mortar and pestles

Huh! Any idea what they might be grinding?

Wild papaya!

How do you know that?!?!!?

A live coal heap where charcoal is being made and dug for home cooking use.

Very interesting! Huh.

Our entry onto the highway changed our slower-paced, more picturesque journey into one of terror. We saw several (not just one or two) overturned trucks like this one and crossed the Rokel River once more. The memorial of the dangers of its crossing still present.

Oy. I'm really sorry you had to endure that. Not at all fun. I've been there. Well.... not Africa, but... similar roads.

Somewhere between our first stop and the bridge, our driver began to nod off.

Oh, crap! You do not want that!!!

Alarmed, my aunt suggested that either myself or Rebekah take over the wheel

Oh, Lord... Maybe... just pull over for an hour or two?

Petrified, I did.

Oh... just.... wow. I wish I could've been there. I'm used to driving on roads like that.

Yes, we went far slower than my passengers were used to; no we never passed another car; no we did not die.

Good move. If they aren't happy with the speed, they can drive.

Colorfully costumed children, women in bright skirts and headdresses, and a troupe of drumming musicians met us on the outskirts of town.

Again! Wow! You really got to see some of what you were hoping for. :)

A gleeful chant filled the air with jubilant cheering and happy clapping. Swept up once again, arm in arm we danced the quarter mile or so to the Town Square’s covered meeting area.

Nice! No video this time, but I presume similar to Mayola?

Love this shot.

I can not imagine carrying that log drum on a string around my neck! How on Earth does he do it?
(And yes... I get that it's hollowed out, but still!)

Um.... ew?

Primitive in the extreme. But... better than no privacy at all, I suppose.

Relieved, it was time for the formal ceremony

Did you do that on purpose? Relieving oneself is what one does in a makeshift latrine...

the formal ceremony of speeches, songs, presentations, introductions, etc…

I just think this is so amazing. Yes, it was long, but.... it's really quite incredible.

sweat was an unlimited commodity.

Any idea what the temperature was?

And yet, for almost 2 hours we sat and enjoyed a visitor’s welcome African-style.

Two hours... :faint:

Looking a bit closer, I gasped in surprise. Look closer…

Oh, geez.... I guess it's the norm there, but...

... if it's even suspected of being the cause of Ebola... you'd think....
and there's an outbreak going on again right now.
Hopefully it won't grow like the last time.

The conditions at this clinic compared to the cleaner, tidier, more organized one in Mayola were shocking. It was, in short, deplorable. There was filth everywhere I looked, and the few meager supplies were pathetic.

I can understand the meager supplies... if they don't get any, they don't have any. But... the filthy conditions... could that just be an education issue? Or are you fairly certain it was simply a lack of discipline or desire?

The staff, in addition, was bordering on rude and ungrateful.

No excuse for that... and completely puzzling! You're bringing them supplies!
I wonder.... if the supplies will make them a target for theft and violence?

this was very disturbing and later our team decided that we will focus on Mayola for future endeavors where the conditions are more “ready” to learn and receive, grow and develop.

I can certainly understand how you'd come to that conclusion.

with staff not even willing to do the very most basic (like covering up a pit of raw sewage- see below) they are certainly not ready to run an organized, professional clinic.

See previous comment... and yet... this seems fairly obvious.

Hmmm...

Wow. Not exactly hospital corners there.
This is distressing just to witness this in photos. I can't imagine what you felt like seeing it with your own eyes.

However!

I'm surprised you didn't notice... or perhaps you weren't/aren't aware?
Or maybe you're seeing who notices?
Do you see what's on the table?

A Tiffin carrier!

I did see this solar operated refrigerator that gave me some insight onto a future vaccination campaign.

Huh! Smart!

It was also here that we discovered that the roads from the morning completely destroyed one of the cars braking systems and another car wouldn’t start at all.

Oh, geez.... not good.

This led to a more than 3-hour delay at the clinic

Just what you wanted, I'm sure.

We watched the kids play with a frisbee that my aunt brought to give away (which quickly led to playground bickering- some things are universal) and then resort back to soccer when the adults confiscated the frisbee.

Like Doc mentioned.... somethings seem to be universal.

I like that shot too. :)

Pretty!

This girl was thrilled to show me the bird she'd found.

Hmmm... today's pet... tomorrow's dinner?

About an hour before we left, we met little Abu and his father. I’ve told that story already, so won’t bore you with another recounting, but this is when and where in our trip we met him.

Ah! So that's where. He seems to be doing better. Hoping it remains so.

I found a bed to lie down on and take a nap, a place to charge my phone,

Place to charge your phone?!?!? Really??

and spent a few minutes chatting with someone back home.

That must have been nice.
Get that little connection to friends or family back home to let you know you're missed.

In another post I will share a bit more about this house and another African social issue...

Oh? Looking forward to that... and quite curious.

and with a level of exhaustion I’ve only a few times experienced before arrived at our Freetown accommodations and fell into bed, dirty, stinky, but happy.

:hug:
I can't even imagine how tired you must have been. I really do feel for you.

A cashew nut tree:

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!?!?! :laughing:

Last edited:

I get that too. We have floor covering made out of them now.

What the what????
Why on Earth did you buy a flame thrower?!?!?!?!

Bad neighbors?

I have... debris... to get taken care of.

Really! All that in tea. Huh! Had no idea.

Well, not all of *that* in the tea. But with it... yes. Another favorite is to put a piece of hard candy in the tea to sweeten it.

Is that your photo, or one off the interwebs?

I looked for my own, but think it's on PB. Need to work more on there to grab those all off of there.

Hopefully, not the same brush for both...ewww!

Well, okay, maybe not the best way I could have worded that. ;)

But no pictures of you swimming. No evidence of car swallowing either. I see car wallowing.

Those holes were DEEP for a little sedan!

Cool pictures, and yep, see why you'd want more time and a tripod.

I wish they'd not been blown out, but ah well.... when rushed that's what you get.

You mean charcoal right? I didn't think you could make coal. Supposedly, coal takes "millions of years".

Oopsies!! LOL! Got it changed.

Wait, they let you drive? That's even more scary. ;)

I thought so! Then again, I wasn't falling asleep either. (Despite no coffee. XP)

And I'm sure the collective sigh of relief from the other passengers.

Absolutely!

See, that's why you should've went swimming...could pee in the pool like everyone else.

You're on to something there!

I looked closely and I thought it was a stuffed animal...didn't look real to me. I wonder if it's a case of being so hungry the risk of Ebola is worth it or if it's a case as with so many here with the "it can't happen to ME" concept.
:sad2:

NO, they think it's a delicacy and call it "sweet meat". I think it's just too tempting and tasty to forego the risk.

I could overlook the conditions and uncleanliness, but rude and ungrateful bothers me to the nth degree.

Me too.

Yep. Unfortunately the you've got it, I want it, I'm going to try to take it from you syndrome is universal. :sad:
Human condition...?

I didn't realize cashews grew in Africa. I thought they were from S America. Learned something new.

I had to look up the stats...

"Over 2.5 million African farmers currently grow about 57% of the world's cashews. The African cashew sector has become a highly visible contributor during the last 10 years. African smallholder farmers have more than doubled production."

Happy can trump tired, dirty and stinky!

And in this case it did!

Oh, man. And you hadn't slept very well, the previous night either, if I recall correctly.

And I was still pretty sick. That sickness lasted for 3 more weeks AFTER I got home.

It was the smiles, right? That's how you knew they were happy?

Well, how else would I know?

Well, since you're not sleeping anyway, I suppose a dawn departure was probably almost a welcome break from tossing and turning and roach dodging.

It probably was. I did catch a few winks in the car. And NO NOT while I was driving!

Doc beat me to this one already. ;)

I'm a HUGE gagger... that would NOT be a good thing!

How does one "slather" a "bit"???

You're so... technical. ;)

Hah! I can top that! I can stand on my head!
Well... if I have a wall to lean against.
Well... I used to. If I tried it now, I'd probably pass out.

But still! Totally counts!

I'd probably throw the rest of my back out. And not be able to stand AT ALL for weeks.

I am always so amazed at the riot of colours everyone wears!

It's really quite amazing. So cheerful and fun!

Three things.
1. Judicious cropping there. :rolleyes:
2. Wonderful shot!
3. That child doesn't look particularly happy! :laughing:

1. Thanks.
2. Thank you.
3. No, dubious at best. I found it highly amusing that Dad opted for no clothes on his kid, but not one, but 2 cellphones.

Oooh! Are we going spelunking???

That is one "sport" i have NEVER wanted to do other than on a guided tour.

This looks very familiar. I've driven on very similar roads.
Almost died on very similar roads, too.

Yours were probably icy? The water on these came up not a small amount over the level of the door.

So.... it just looks wild to me. How did you know it was cleared and used like that?

I asked. :)

What I haven't really talked about a lot is the 200 acres of land in Mayolla that Ahmed bought (Zaindriss Waters) for them to co-op farm. Just a few months ago they were able to get the tractor and start planting. They had a big planting party and land dedication recently.

http://www.zaindrissfoundation.org/latest-news

Gorgeous shots!

Thank you. :) A bit blown out, but what can ya do...

I can totally understand that!

Maybe another time on another trip somewhere.

Get that too. Just... you've seen them on TV and now here they are! In real life!

Pretty exciting for sure!!

Huh! Any idea what they might be grinding?

Yes, I do, but I will save that for a post in the future. ;)

How do you know that?!?!!?

I saw some growing on that walk I took near our house, a few days before, but this was the first time I took the time to snap a shot. The leaves are unmistakable.

Oy. I'm really sorry you had to endure that. Not at all fun. I've been there. Well.... not Africa, but... similar roads.

I think every country (yes, even 1st world ones) have some roads like that, but as main hwys. they're NOT fun to be on.

Oh, crap! You do not want that!!!

Not at all!

Oh, Lord... Maybe... just pull over for an hour or two?

That'd been smart!

Oh... just.... wow. I wish I could've been there. I'm used to driving on roads like that.

Oddly, I shoulda been too having lived in Crapistan and Ecuador. Actually, the ones in Ecuador were the worst by far. High up on mountain cliffs.... twisty.... cars drove off, slipped off, were forced off, regularly. I literally had PTSD when I came home from there in 1998.

Good move. If they aren't happy with the speed, they can drive.

Yep!!!!

Again! Wow! You really got to see some of what you were hoping for. :)

I did, I did!!!

Nice! No video this time, but I presume similar to Mayola?

I FOUND SOME!!!!! I added it into the chapter. :dancer:

Love this shot.

THanks! :)

I can not imagine carrying that log drum on a string around my neck! How on Earth does he do it?
(And yes... I get that it's hollowed out, but still!)

I know! OUCH!!

Primitive in the extreme. But... better than no privacy at all, I suppose.

You did see the quite sizable hole in the screen, yes?

Did you do that on purpose? Relieving oneself is what one does in a makeshift latrine...

Yes, I did. ;)

I just think this is so amazing. Yes, it was long, but.... it's really quite incredible.

And, if you go back.... I added some video I found!

Any idea what the temperature was?

I think near 90. But it was the humidity that was so unbearable. I don't mind humidity, tbh, but, this was pretty outrageous.

Oh, geez.... I guess it's the norm there, but...

Yeah, um, disconcerting.

... if it's even suspected of being the cause of Ebola... you'd think....
and there's an outbreak going on again right now.
Hopefully it won't grow like the last time.

Yes, there is in Congo. Only a few cases so far, but it's IN THE CITY! Yikes!

I can understand the meager supplies... if they don't get any, they don't have any. But... the filthy conditions... could that just be an education issue? Or are you fairly certain it was simply a lack of discipline or desire?

I really don't know. But judging from the attitudes we saw it was a laziness issue.

No excuse for that... and completely puzzling! You're bringing them supplies!
I wonder.... if the supplies will make them a target for theft and violence?

I think more likely they'll end up on the black market. We have seen this over and over and over.... reminds me of the time I found USDA canned salmon clearly labeled at "Humanitarian Aid- NOT FOR RESALE" in the Crapitstan Bazaar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter