The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

I didn't realize quite how behind I'd gotten! (To the point where the Dis gave up on me and stopped sending me notifications.)
That has happened to me on NUMEROUS threads. It's like somehow it decides I don't need to notify you even if you're following the thread. :mad:

I love this one :love:

Thanks!! :) New take on an old shot. ;)

And that plan never happened.

Nope. But the rule seems to be "bend to the circumstances" when at Disney.

Ah! Very pleased that you posted this shot.
Yes, I have a reason.

You'll see.

OH?! Okay! I'll have to find out! Very curious....

Bag check wasn't too bad, if I recall... but the entrance lines! :sad2:

correct. And yet, it still reminded me why I really should go bagless next trip.

I quite remember that.
"Liesa! We're in Disney!"
"coffee..."
"There's the train!"
"coffee..."
We're on Main St!!!"
"coffee..."
"Look how pretty the flowers are!"
"coffee..."
"Oh! That first glimpse of the castle!!!"
"coffee..."
"So... you're saying you want..."
"coffee..."
"How about we get you some coffee?"
"coffee..."

Hey! You're highlighting my addicted weak side!

I'm glad you saw me waving at you through your coffee withdrawal.

YOU? I"m pretty sure it was Kari waving at US!

I like that. Did you point that out to me?

I think so? I honestly don't remember!

Nice shot! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

Yes, of course.
Actually, I completely agree with you and Kari sauntering while I sashay.
Sauntering is to walking as a Masters is to a high school diploma.

Sashaying is a doctorate.

Oh brother!

It happened because you or Kari pointed out that there was virtually no line.
I think there was maybe one or two people there... and that was it?
And later, when we passed by again, the line stretched a city block.

Carpe Dolem!!!!!

You were going to take a photo of the Dole whip float against a boring background and I told you to shoot it with something pretty in the background. You said, "Like what?" And...

Then it worked!! She's purrrrty!!

Of course you're kidding! Kari and I hung back while you did the pushing and shoving.
We just followed along, shaking our heads. :sad2:

Things to do! Places to be!!!!

Hmmm... If I have to pick a favourite character... I'd have to say the bride. At the end. "Hurry baaaaack."

Oh poop. I love her too!! Hard to pick a favorite, I'm afraid. Then again, it IS the Haunted Mansion, so I suppose that's the correct response.

You converted me. I hadn't really noticed the first time... but this time.... more to see and longer? Heck, yes.

See?

(notices convincing happening. There is yet hope...)

You.... lied to us?!?!?!?!?

I will never trust you again.

But, you did enjoy it, no?

Well.... sure. I love a good beaver, so thanks for showing it to me.

Oh my!

:joker:

Proud momma moment. And you have every right to boast a bit. :)

And, it looks more and more like we'll have 2 graduates this year!! So good news all around!

Heh. My shot is different (and not as good) but we both were interested in the engine.

Looking forward to seeing it, nonetheless!

That really sucked. We were all "Yay!!! It's up and running!" and came soooo close.

Another reason to go back! I like Alison's idea of an annual pilgrimage.

I wouldn't know. You guys refused to share with me. And this after I shared my Dole Whip with you!!

I give you exhibit A:

And yet, I shared it with my sweater. :rolleyes2

:lmao:

See? There on the arm. I'm such a slob.

No idea. I remember I was shocked.
Glad you insisted... nay, demanded that we eat here.

I demanded? Or was it creative arm twisting?

Or... did I simply suggest and you guys succumbed to the mouth watering delicious idea of Plaza fried chicken??

That was rough, wasn't it? Rougher than Dinosaur, I thought.

I've not ridden Dinosaur in forever. Maybe I should again to compare. I don't remember being all that impressed though last time.

Pfffft... women. Can't control their emotions at all.

Me? I had some dust in my eyes. Possibly an allergic reaction, too. Had nothing to do with the show.

I know. It's what makes them soft and lovable. Like and Olaf hug. Next time we'll have some extra tissues handy for those pesky "allergies" of yours. LOL!

Um.... no.
I get quite enough snow, thank you. A talking snow man is just a visual and aural reminder of what it's like 5 months of the year.

That must really suck. You should move to... anywhere else.

We should have put our hands down. Air brakes.

Noted!! No sails in the air!

:laughing: I'd pay to see that.

How much?

Never read one.

Formula writing at its most banal, but worth it when there's nothing else to do in Crapistan.

Have you tried?

Considering it's been so long since I've been on my own (or anyone else's threads), I have no idea what this is referring to. So, "maybe" is the best I can do here.

Oh, man. That's too bad.
Hope it won't be too much of an inconvenience getting your passwords back. Usually that just involves a "I forgot my password".

Oh Lordy! Me too! :rolleyes2

:laughing:
Maybe. Or maybe it's I just never seem to have anyone to share it with.
I'm either solo or with someone who's not a fan.
Except that one time with Kay.

It's a lot of popcorn for one person, Mr. Once and Done. ;)

Yep.
Children and the elderly are always the most vulnerable, aren't they?

Yes, they are. For a variety of reasons.

Nice job tag-teaming Starbucks and the Dole Whip. Keep those taste buds guessing :thumbsup2

Nothing better than that!

You know, it is weird seeing HM without the NBC makeover? We literally haven’t been to DLR any time of year other than October to December since 2005.

OH wow! That's a long time to have seen the original HM!

So very much agreed, PoTC at DLR is a Billion times better. Well done getting them on the Mark Twain. Great shots of the beaver and congrats to your daughter! Nice shot of the engine by the way.

Thanks a ton! We did so many fun things that trip!

Bummer that Splash didn’t stay open for Kari :( But kudos to you for using the line “assuage our sorrow”. Churros followed by Plaza fried chicken would certainly do that :woohoo:

Nothing better than some bona fide Disney eats!

I appreciate your points on the GotG makeover but me and mine do like this version over Twilight Zone. We loved Twilight Zone but the upbeat feel to the new version really does it for us. But I think WDW will keep theirs as Twilight Zone, they have the ride-thru portion anyways so it is better anyways.

See? Now I never did get to go on the Cali version of ToT , but hear it just didn't stand up to the Florida version, so maybe it was for the best. :) The ride through portion is a big part of what makes it so cool for me.

Sorry you lost on Racers and your friend broke her streak. Looking forward to seeing your Paint the Night shots! ::yes::

Dark + night + cold = sucky shots, but I'll share the ones that did turn out. :) Have me some days off coming up so should be able to get the next update going soon!

I can't believe I was just in Disneyland and DCA a few days ago! So it's exciting to see your DL post!!

I know!! I saw you guys "live" and was so jelly!!

And on another note, small world! Interesting that we have a "Hemet Connection!"

@pkondz sashaying? Like on a catwalk? This I must see!

Maybe someday he will post a demonstration.

Hmm. I think pkondz will take credit for that one!

Actually, :blush:, it was me. ;) "Hey, Look! No line!!...."

Congratulations!!

Thanks, lots to celebrate!

Nice churro munching!
The DL churros are so much yummier than WDW. I think turnover is much higher, hence a fresher churro. I often saw lines at the churro carts and at WDW you don't see many churros being eaten, it's more about the popcorn and pretzels.

I"m MUCH more a savory snack lady too. So would opt for a salty over a sweet, but this is certainly an interesting observation in the differences you've seen.

I may be mad forever though that my beloved jalepeno cream cheese pretzel is gone.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? :eek:
Did you have food envy? I would have, :laughing:

YES!!!!! Yes, I did. Hence the do-over!

I'm going to see Frozen on Broadway this summer and I'm so excited!!

You are?! How cool! I'd love to see that. We're doing Hunchback and Les Mis this summer.

I'm not a free-faller so I'd be with Kari on this one. I passed the Guardians ride and I almost psyched myself to go on, then I looked up and it looked so TALL, so I just took a picture and backed away. #fail :laughing:

LOL! Lame, Girlfriend! :laughing:

I think they will since they will have the new Guardians ride in Epcot, and I don't think they will have two Guardians rides in different parks. :thumbsup2

I think it's safe too, and good point about the Guardians ride at EPCOT. I hope that is enough for the company to leave TOT alone. ;)

Yes, although in Canada the names of each age division is a little different. From youngest to oldest we have Beavers (5-8), Cubs (8-11), Scouts (11-14), Venturers (14-17), Rovers (them being the oldest group at 18+ and rarest since most people would either leave the program or become leaders to the younger groups by that age)

Different names, but I"m going to guess it's much the same program. That's awesome you stayed the course and went all the way through!

Looks like a fun day! I love the Plaza fried chicken! I think GoTG is way better than the DL version of ToT was. I'm glad they still have the best ToT at DHS.

It was a blast! Lots of good fun with good people. :)

I think it's pretty unanimous that the change to GoTG was a good change for that space. And yet... I still hope ToT stays untouched.

The best day of any week!

For sure!

I love this idea. Dole whip for breakfast is perfect on vacation.

It's always a good time for pineappley goodness. ;)

So much to see. Someday if I every make it there I'll have to ride just to see all the neat extras.

.... and there are a LOT. Especially in the beginning.

Congrats! You have every right to be proud.

Thanks! Now the hard work of getting the house ready for her party.

Bummer, Splash is my favorite mountain. I would be hurt to miss it too.
It's certainly one I go on almost every trip. Unless, it's chilly. It's such a creative, well done ride!

We've used the train at MK to help digest a big meal too.

I think I got the order of what we did when mixed up maybe. But I do know we had a really great time together nonetheless.

I love the Guardians movies but I do not want to see Twilight removed from DHS. I would be willing to try it at DL.

I do too, but the ToT will always hold a special place in my heart.

I never had any doubt. As I said in PM, I know when you set your mind to something, it will happen and knew you were being overly critical of yourself.

Congrats!!

I indeed can be very critical of myself. I don't expect perfection, but I do always give my very best and want to pass the FIRST time. One and done as they say. Thanks for your vote of confidence! :)

Have you seen big hero six?

I spilled wasabi on myself ONE time people!
:rotfl2: :lmao:

So, now we know the p in pkondz stands for popcorn!!

:rotfl:

I've only seen it ONE time people...

(but it was a fun movie.)

Fiiiinally have a block of time I can catch up here. OY! Sorry for the tardy replies, Alison! I see there's a fair amount of chatter I've missed out on yours and pkondz's threads as well.

I wouldn't even have gotten that far before coffee!

I think the excitment of finally being in the parks kept me going. ;)

Yes I remember seeing that. I don't remember what it was I had to do that morning (besides feed the cats). I just went back and looked at my texts, we were going to head to the park at 10AM when we realized we should get the oil changed. Then a tenant called and had been locked out of her apartment, fun times!

Yep, you had loads of "fun" before you ever met up with us. UGH! Glad we could help turn your day around.

I would have liked to ride this, but we did on Saturday so I guess I was good. But now I'd like to go and do it!

And you should!!

Sacrilege!

YES!

::yes:: But now there is no more red headed wench. :sad2:

So lame.

I really need to do that too!

I do think you'll enjoy seeing all the new touches they added.

I need to see that!

I sure think you do.

Don't get ahead of yourself lassie! First let's catch the train in New Orleans Square and ride it back through the Grand Canyon and Primeval World to Main Street. Then it's time to eat!

Yes, I think I did mess up the order, but well.... no notes and too much just enjoying the day.

Yes we did go on Indy next....

I thought so!

I always cry at that show!

I can see myself crying every show too. It's just a tear jerker by nature.

Right now it's my favorite ride!

I"m gathering that!

I sent it to you....if I get some time in front of my computer, I may post them here.

And I will post it later tonight. Have a bit to go before the DIS shuts down.

OK, sounds good cause I'm caught up here now.

I have a couple of days off this week and might actually have time to get something written.

Please do.... then I'll steal them for my TR.

:rolleyes1

Be my guest. They're technically Disney's photos. You can help me deal with their legal department when they come after us for stolen images.

Lucky!!!!!

I'd say congrats, but I'm far to envious!!

Oh, I'll say it anyway.

Congrats!

Thanks! I'm just too old for nights.

Yay for no more nights!

::yes::

Nice of you to make a room for your folks. Is this the first time they're coming to visit?

Oh no, but the first time in a while. Maybe been 2 or 3 years? Our house has really fallen into shambles lately so some updating will do it some good. Nothing like a fire lit under you to get stuff done!

Yep, after reading your response, it was a DOH moment. I do remember now it was fife and drums not bugles. My cousin wasn't so thrilled because she didn't want to wear the dress, but I was...you're letting me carry a gun (even if it's not real, at that age, I was all in).

Well sure! I think any kid would be pretty thrilled to play Minute Man- well, ok, maybe not if he had to dress up like that, but guns sure. :)

I didn't realize quite how behind I'd gotten! (To the point where the Dis gave up on me and stopped sending me notifications.)

I'm there now with every thread I'm on. It's going to take a long, long while to catch up now. But have a couple of days off coming up that I can hopefully make some progress with.

Uh oh. That's too bad! But fortunate that you were able to still make it all work with the interpreter.

Me too. I was far more concerned about my voice and how sick I was though.

This is true. It worked out this way for a reason, I'm sure. But lesson learned in case there's ever a next time.

Absolutely!

Teehehee this was a great facial expression. Important lesson though!

I laughed at this one pretty hard. I must have been pretty involved in my story at that point. LOL!

Easy to make mistakes like this when your own societal practices are so different. But glad to hear this was ameliorated and everyone could feel properly included.

Me too! And I'm glad he was brave enough to speak up and felt comfortable doing so.

Wow. What an incredible experience to witness!!

I was very blessed and honored to have been part of it all!

Oh my goodness. I can only imagine! I've been to Florida in August, and I thought that was pretty toasty.

The sweat factor was mighty high. ;)

What a beautiful moment to encapsulate all the work and emotions that went into this trip! Very special.

Indeed!

This is beautiful!! :eek: :lovestruc

Definitely in the Top 10 of my faves from the trip.

CONGRATS!! I'm not at all surprised, but very pleased for you after all the long hours you put in.

Thanks, Meghan. still a long way to go, but I AM making good progress.

I love this! :lovestruc

:goodvibes Thanks!

I really want to ride DLR's Pirates! It'll be one of my top priorities if/when I ever get there in future.

And I hope you get to very soon!

I'd be extremely disappointed on this one, too. Splash is definitely the best Disney ride, in my opinion. But it sounds like it was just a short disappointing blip in an otherwise wonderful day.

You nailed it. Every trip is going to have some ups and downs, and this was just a short part of great day.

Yes! You don't make a mistake like that twice!

YES! It won't happen again! :laughing:

That has happened to me on NUMEROUS threads. It's like somehow it decides I don't need to notify you even if you're following the thread. :mad:
yes, I think it is in fact true. If you go long enough, you stop getting them altogether. At least I don't. I think, other than my own thread, I've not gotten a single notification for any other thread for over a week. Once you post again on that thread, you'll get them again for a while.

Thanks!! :) New take on an old shot. ;)

:thumbsup2

Nope. But the rule seems to be "bend to the circumstances" when at Disney.

Absolutely. Not doing that is the reason for so many meltdowns, there.

OH?! Okay! I'll have to find out! Very curious....

You'll see. ;)

correct. And yet, it still reminded me why I really should go bagless next trip.

Like me!
Then again, I can pull off cargo shorts. Cause I'm old and don't care anymore.

Hey! You're highlighting my addicted weak side!

:rolleyes1

YOU? I"m pretty sure it was Kari waving at US!

Oh! You said: "we saw a cute familiar face waving at us"
I'm cute and familiar, so I just assumed...

Carpe Dolem!!!!!

:laughing:

Then it worked!! She's purrrrty!!

Things to do! Places to be!!!!

Do not get in your way!

Oh poop. I love her too!! Hard to pick a favorite, I'm afraid. Then again, it IS the Haunted Mansion, so I suppose that's the correct response.

Who knows? The whole thing is awesome.

But, you did enjoy it, no?

THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT!!!!

And, it looks more and more like we'll have 2 graduates this year!! So good news all around!

Hey! Great news! :)

Another reason to go back! I like Alison's idea of an annual pilgrimage.

Um... excuse me? I believe it was moi who suggested that?

And yet, I shared it with my sweater. :rolleyes2

:lmao:

See? There on the arm. I'm such a slob.

Whoops! I do believe I tried to save your sweater, but I was too slow. Sorry!

I demanded? Or was it creative arm twisting?

Or... did I simply suggest and you guys succumbed to the mouth watering delicious idea of Plaza fried chicken??

You demanded.

I've not ridden Dinosaur in forever. Maybe I should again to compare. I don't remember being all that impressed though last time.

It's an okay ride. I'm pretty happy to skip it.
I went when I went with Kay.

I know. It's what makes them soft and lovable. Like and Olaf hug. Next time we'll have some extra tissues handy for those pesky "allergies" of yours. LOL!

:blush:

That must really suck. You should move to... anywhere else.

Farther north?

Noted!! No sails in the air!

How much?

All my worldly possessions!
<checks wallet> Uh... fifteen cents!

Formula writing at its most banal, but worth it when there's nothing else to do in Crapistan.

Check. I'll give it a miss, then.

Considering it's been so long since I've been on my own (or anyone else's threads), I have no idea what this is referring to. So, "maybe" is the best I can do here.

It was about skating.
So I'll take it as you maybe tried it once.

;)

Oh Lordy! Me too! :rolleyes2

How is it going so far?

Maybe someday he will post a demonstration.

Nope! :snooty:

You either see it when it happens, or not at all!

Actually, :blush:, it was me. ;) "Hey, Look! No line!!...."

Correct. But, you did look at me and say something like "There's no line at..."

Not sure if you finished that sentence and I was already there begging them to take my money.

Be my guest. They're technically Disney's photos. You can help me deal with their legal department when they come after us for stolen images.

I think you're good as long as you're not using them for advertising.
Besides, if they stopped people from posting on the DIS and other boards, they'd lose way too much money!

Thanks! I'm just too old for nights.

1. No you're not.
2. But still nice to be done with them.
3. And if you say you're too (supposedly, erroneously) old, what does that make me??? :sad:

Oh no, but the first time in a while. Maybe been 2 or 3 years? Our house has really fallen into shambles lately so some updating will do it some good. Nothing like a fire lit under you to get stuff done!

::yes:: Been there!

Cuz any day at Disney is a great day!

Truth!

IMG_1582-L.jpg

Oooh, I like the black & white on this.

Because hotel coffee sucks and everyone knows it, EVERYONE was in $ixbucks waiting for the next best thing in coffee mediocrity.

What's worse, hotel coffee or waiting in a long line to buy overpriced lousy coffee?

Somehow, as if by Disney magic, we found ourselves purchasing a Dole Whip. Oopsies, how did THAT happen?!

Now that's more like it.

Luckily, the line wasn’t too short. Yes, you heard me right. If it had been shorter, I’d have had to toss my coffee.

And after paying $33.95 for it, that wasn't going to happen!

I think we all went on Pirates next, but who knows. I’m thinking we did, cuz one of our group wanted the red head.

I can only guess at whom....

The DLR version is about a billion times better. This is not up for debate.

True. I found this was true for most DLR versions of the rides.

My photos show that we ended up on the Mark Twain next. Just one of those days when we really had zero agenda and were not in a hurry. Trust me, that’s when you end up on the Mark Twain.

Seems legit.

I love this! :rotfl2:

(Did I mention my daughter is a graduating Beaver (Oregon State) with a double major in Business Marketing and Management this Fall and walking on June 15th. It goes without saying that I am beyond proud of her! I think in the entire graduating class there are approximately 30 double majors!)

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats!

Oooh, and they added this new spectacular waterfall just to the right here. Surely there's a photo...

Um...

:confused3

As was the genuine steam engine that powers the Twain. The engineer who did a quick check of the engine (that’s what engineers check) was interesting to see. I’m nerdy like that.

:thumbsup2

I’m pretty sure we went on Indiana Jones after lunch (sorry, no photos at all.)

Indiana Jones...someday I'll ride it. Someday.

How could they possibly improve on Twilight? Well, I can’t say it’s BETTER, but it is equally well done and creative in its own right. Take my opinions with a grain of salt; they’re just one gal’s subjective take on things. The sound track is fun (Twilight’s was better), there is a TON of visual everything going on, and the ride mechanism is the same. I think it works well for what it is, but I’m one for a bit of nostalgia and… old. Just as Guardians will be a thing of posterity for the younger set going to Disney now, Twilight Zone was that for me. It’s what I grew up with and I’m still pretty sad they are changing it. I get that’s it’s not as relevant for the Millenials, but, Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Please, oh PLEASE leave WDW’s alone!

I had heard that DL's version of ToT wasn't as good as the WDW version. Is that true? If so, it makes it more palatable that they change this one and leave the WDW version as is.

Namaste To Tate's Great Adventure

Tate loves his job and rises to the task everyday to make a difference but, every once in a while, he grows anxious to scale new heights, find new adventures, and seek out exciting new challenges for himself. Normally he is hesitant to put in for time off work, but his wanderlust grew so much recently he risked approaching HR to ask for a few weeks off for his quest. This was no ordinary travel adventure Tatey was about to embark on, but one that only serious adventurers could hope to conquer- it was none other than scaling the heights of Chomolungma! The Tibetans know this place as Mother Goddess of the Universe; Tate thought of it as a test of his Tateyhood. Could his little Spudly lungs rise to the (lack of) pressure of such a feat? Could his fused little feet scale the dizzying heights of its craggy form? Let’s follow Tate ‘O Patty as he set out to do what few have done and have lived to tell about.

As with all other mountaineers before him, Tate carefully chose his supplies balancing utility with weight gain… much like his friend Steppe in deciding between fries or a salad. (Please don't ever tell Tate I just said that!) Let’s see… pots for cooking, ropes, crampons, boots, and… a bird cage? Hey, I’m not judging; Tate’s the expert here. I’m just the onlooker and narrator of this wholly accurate and truthful tale. I’ve said it a hundred times before, all good journeys start with a latte and new boots. I have a recent Facebook post to prove it. So, obviously Tate’s Great Adventure was off to a great start!

He carefully packed his necessities and set out with his goal distant in the shimmering haze. He wondered if he alone could summit for the prize of glory.

Of course not! He’d need help, lots and lots of help. Not only the blessings of the infamous Yeti, but the trusty and invaluable companionship of the Sherpa. Wisely, he knew that more Sherpa have scaled Chomolungma’s heights than any number of outsiders. Tate also knew that, as all wise travelers do, he would defer to the expertise and mastery of those who’ve done this before. Wise Sherpa say, turn back. If not, pack TP.

After months of preparation, Tate finally made it into the deep interior of Asia… a forbidden and lonely place where fermented camel’s milk flows and no amount of fur will keep you warm. On the bright side, I hear the yellow snow cones are fabulous. Arriving at the height of climbing season, Tate sought out his accommodations. Luckily, he found a cozy looking inn that would satisfy his needs until he set out for Base Camp #1. Unfortunately, it wasn’t open quite yet.

Dejected, but only mildly, Tate wandered around not sure what to do next. He passed a laundry, a tanner’s shop, a bakery, a school, and a McDonalds, and wondered if they served yak burgers inside.

He was out of coffee and out of sorts, when all of a sudden, he heard a voice calling to him from above.

“Tah-she-de-lah!”

Tate had been studying Tibetan for a quite a while in preparation for his big adventure and knew this familiar greeting. He looked up and saw an elderly couple who had noticed him shuffling along with his head hung low in frustration and sadness at his predicament.

“Tah-she-de-lah!”, they called again to him.

“Tah-she-de-lah!”, he called back.

“Do you have a minute?”, they asked him?

Stepping a little closer, “Yes! I have some time. Can I help you?” He saw the forms of the occupants a little clearer...

“Well, we’d like to help you. We’ve been watching you try to find a place to stay, and we know that there are no more inns with rooms. Would you like to stay with us? We are a highly rated AirBNB advertised on Google, and have a Keurig for your convenience.”

Was Tatey dreaming? Could this be true? Had the Mountain looked down upon his plight and come to his rescue? Or was this a bilking operation of the grandest proportions?

With no other options, Tate slowly climbed the back stairs and was let into a surprisingly spacious living area with a fireplace and fur rugs on the floors and walls; a teapot happily steamed on a woodstove. All around him colorful woven art work with geometrical images graced the walls of this comfortable, unpretentious home. There were also somewhat disconcerting images of the famed Yeti beast himself:

Tate gratefully accepted a cup of tea flavored with butter and salt. He remembered that his friend Steppe had told him about drinking large amounts of this in Crapistan years ago. “Heh, not too bad”, he thought to himself. In the course of drinking tea and forming new friendships, Tate was invited to make this his home until he finished making final arrangements for his attempted ascent of Chomolungma. He didn’t want to be a burden on them, so he offered to pay a modest rent in return for their hospitality, but he was only just beginning to learn that in “hospitality cultures” one would never accept payment other than loyalty for the simple act of kindness of opening up one’s home to a guest. Tate was reminded of the story Steppe had told him sometime ago about the night she and her family were stranded on a frigid winter night on a dark, deserted highway. With only their coats and cold wind in their hair, they waited on the road’s edge for a passerby to offer help. After what seemed like hours, the family of 7 including the baby were picked up and taken to the nearest village where another family they’d only met once before opened their doors to them, made them a hot meal, and set up a big family bed of blankets on the floor to shelter for the night. Their lives were literally saved from freezing to death that night. Tate wondered how often that happens in the culture he is from.

The sound of the prayer bells brought him back from his reverie and without hesitation, Tate agreed to stay with his new friends until he set out up the mountain.

He assured them it wouldn’t be long. Glancing outside at the view of “The Goddess”, he wondered what last minute things he’d forgotten to do or buy. He also wondered why wave after wave of screaming came from its direction….

His hosts pointed him to Serka Zong for any supplies he might still need. “They have everything for the traveling adventurer!”, they told him. Off he waddled to find an extra pair of socks and a lantern to add to his pile.

On the way, he stopped to offer thanks for getting him this far and for the unexpected way his lodging dilemma worked out. He didn’t have any money to spare but threw in an apple and a hairband in hopes of appeasing the Yeti that guarded the mountain.

As Tatey wandered the zig-zagging streets of Namche, he became quite hungry. The tea was very nice, but he needed some solid, hot food. Dalbaht, a bowl of steamed rice and spiced lentils, along with the chapati sounded perfect! Ordering up, and paying with his rupees, he took in the scent of the simmering, spicy tarkari and instantly regretted his choice. It reminded him of that time he ordered a salad at the Plaza instead of the crispy and delicious fried chicken. He decided he’d come back again tomorrow for the Tibetan vegetable curry for his next day’s lunch.

Sitting on a rock by the outdoor café, he looked around him and breathed in a lungful of the crisp, clean air. Mmm! Fragrant and exotic- just what his little adventuring heart needed. His thoughts drifted to nothing much as he watched the bees playing peekaboo among the flowers.

He also noticed that another, much less polite, traveler was disrespecting the rules and customs of his hosts. Such a shame, Tate thought to himself; that really makes the rest of us look badly. He thought of saying something, but figured he’d let the locals deal with such a blatant lack of courtesy and deference.

Full, he wandered on and came across some monkeys playing on the temple grounds. Fascinated, he watched them until he realized the sun was setting low in the western sky.

Tate moseyed his way back to his gracious hosts’ home and found a delicious meal of eggrolls awaiting him along with more Tibetan Chai- tea with butter and salt. It warmed his heart, but not nearly as much as the sweet company he found in hearing the stories of living in Central Asia.

He stayed on for several more days making last minute preparations and eventually, with resolve in his spirit to give this endeavor his very best, and the heartiest blessings of his hosts, he set out with his 3 Sherpa guides.

Tate’s last view of Chomolungma from the humble little village of Namche was daunting. The mountain loomed hugely over him and the screaming went on and on, but as he set out, one foot in front of the other, he thought to himself:

I can; I will!

** In the spirit of moving things along here, and because I am so desperately short on spare time right now, and most importantly because I simply wanted to write without the distraction of counting points, there is no Contest this chapter. :) Just... enjoy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!