ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Loved your description of the tour and meal! And no, it wasn't me who had done it. I have written about the Wild Africa Trail at AK, which is very good, too, but less of a foodie experience. Also cheaper, or at least cheaper in my case because we did it with our CM friends who were able to get the afternoon (read: hot) tour with a 50% discount.

That's definitely another on my growing list of tours I'd like to do someday. So many tours; so little time!

I'd love a 50% discount on ANYTHING at WDW! LOL!

Jiko is one of my favourite restaurants at WDW, maybe even #1. But isn't it called the Cooking Place, not the Eating Place? I mean, both are kind of the same thing since eating without the cooking before often is not as pleasant (and not what you would go for a restaurant for).

You are entirely right! Still works though. It's always seemed an odd name that I make fun of a lot.

And yes, I don't think I'd want to go to a restaurant to cook- that's the whole POINT!! Even funnier now that you mention it!

I think I need to think about doing this safari at some point in the future. Michael and I have decided that instead of eating at a number of overpriced WDW restaurants each trip, we will rather try to safe food dollars and instead splurge on one bigger event every trip. For the next trip it is going to be the Party for the Senses at the F&W Festival. I am sure the feeling of indigestion will be the same afterwards though...

Sounds like a nice plan too. If done well, CS can be quite tasty. I'll have to see what Party for the Senses is. I"m not too up to speed on the F&W events.

Nope. No hybrids, GMO or non, have any resistance to Southern Rust. It has become a problem that has moved north the last couple of years so I'm sure that is on the agronomists radar as something they've been really looking at for cost effective ways to manage it. Right now you can spray a fungicide, which has about a 2 week effective period. And if southern rust hits, it can kill a crop in 2 weeks. So it is a gamble to time the spray application and you could need multiple applications during the season. If you have it applied by air, which you'd need to do once the corn is fully grown it costs around $30 - $40 per acre, per application.

That's quite a lot of management and sounds like a huge cost. Dang!

You're also being redundant too.

... I see what you did there. ;)

:rotfl2:

Ok, we'll allow it. Only because your server was so witty to come up with it!

Fair enough. The jury has spoken. You'll be impressed and quite possibly... amused at the next one... Letter 'X'.

Wow! That's impressive! The camera didn't get lost!

I'm glad your meal was so good. Nothing wrong with stuffing yourself silly!

IKR!?! I fear for it in Africa.

No, as long as you have Pepto waiting in the wings.

Your feast sounded like it was wonderful! It was very different from the way that they served us on the couple occasions where we did the tour. The first time we only had two other companions, but the second time we had a large bunch and were with my parents. It turned out that we got a separate table and servings for us and my parents while the other six people on the tour were served family style on their own.

When we were served they gave us the dishes plated up as they may have been served in the restaurant. The Mac and cheese was on the plate with the Filet, the Chicken had the veggies that accompanied it on the side, etc. It seemed that they plated the proteins on one platter and the veggies on another and the mac by itself.

How early was dinner? I would have imagined that you would have checked in first before you did the tour....your alphabetical vs chronological thing is driving me nuts!!!!!!

Really lucked out with your drink where else could you get a drink beginning with Q. The meal looks an excilent way to get a taste of Africa as well and to cap it all of you get a free exclusive pin as well. Great update about the Wanyama tour.Never mind I thought 45 out of 60 correct was a great score for your written exam considering what your work load and the events that have happened over the last few weeks. After November is completed you should have some free time to catch up on your flying studies.

Climbing the steps down off our safari-mobile, we hungrily approached Jiko: The Eating Place again. I love that name. As if it’s some other kind of place?

There's a restaurant near me called Border Cafe (@glennbo123 and @jedijill met us there once), but they have a giant sign out front that just says "EAT". For the longest time, I thought that was the name of the restaurant. And I thought it was the greatest restaurant name ever!

Maybe the pool there should be called Uzima Springs Pool: The Swimming Place. Or perhaps Splitsville should be called Splitsville: The Bowling Place. Am I also being redundant here?

I like it! All complaints may be referred to the Department of Redundancy Department.

Call me pretentious, if you must, and yes, I know at least one of you will (you know who you are), but I do love me a good meal, in a leisurely atmosphere, pretending I have money to spend.

Hey, I'd never call you pretentious! The meal, maybe, or the chef, or the prices, but never you!

See? She can pretend to have manners once in a while. Note the napkin her lap.

(taking notes)

Without missing a beat, and with a 100% completely straight face, she announces, “Oh, you’re in luck then! This called a Quit Yer Whinin’! I serve them to all the parents who come in here after a day at the Magic Kingdom with 2-year olds.”

On point, Ms. McServer! Well done!

You have to love people with a quick wit. So entertaining!

Next, Ms. McServer brought out a quite extensive and generous bread service. You know… that course that you pig out on so that everything else to follow is a struggle to ingest?

Oh, yes. I'm quite familiar with it.

I was mentally prepared and the heart was willing, but the gut was screaming, “How much more, Woman, do you think I can contain and not make you feel utterly wretched for hours?

I know this feeling. I call it "Thanksgiving".

I know better. I really do. But it was so delicious! I knew I’d pay for that irresponsible extravaganza. To ease your curiosity now, I only ended up suffering with only a mild case of guilt and a hefty case of indigestion all night long.

Nice! Totally worth it. You got off easy!

(See? once upon a time I DID actually keep my camera with me)

See that? She can be taught!

Without missing a beat, and with a 100% completely straight face, she announces, “Oh, you’re in luck then! This called a Quit Yer Whinin’! I serve them to all the parents who come in here after a day at the Magic Kingdom with 2-year olds.”

That is so awesome!!! I think that probably would have stumped most people but she was really on the ball!!

The main course was a fish (sustainable, of course) beef, and chicken. Don’t ask me at ALL how it was prepared, but it was all very delectable.

Fish, beef AND chicken??? Wow. What a meal. It all looked fantastic though. I think my faves would be the breads and the mac and cheese too though lol

and our tour pin:

That's really cool that there is a special pin, if you're into that!! Which I am lol

It was earthy and exquisite all at the same time.

That sounds like a very nice combination.

Side note: If you are uncomfortable with dining with people you don’t know, but could possibly be really awesome dinner companions, this tour isn’t for you. This end-of-the-tour meal is served “Family style”.

Depends on my mood. We had a lovely meal with our table mates at Teppan Edo but didn't say a work to our table mates at Biergarten.

Bravo! Well said.

Next, Ms. McServer brought out a quite extensive and generous bread service.

I love bread!

Dessert was served and I was ashamed <so not sorry at all>. I ate most. And I’m not even a dessert-y kind of gal.

Dessert is my favorite part of the meal. I'm glad you partook. Not matter how much you ate at WDW just remember calories don't count at Disney and just tell yourself you needed to get you money's worth.

I just finished reading this report (so far) - what an amazing, magical trip and what a phenomenal trip report. Your wit and humor are inspiring, and your children seem so lovely. Belated congrats on graduation!! My sister and mother are nurses and I know that nursing school is no easy task. Thought I would come out and say hello since I have been reading along. We are staying at AKL for the first time next June (renting DVC points) and your trip report makes me even more excited to spend some time in this resort.

Huge shout out to my DISTribe!

Here's what only a few can accomplish to brighten the smiles in far way places.

IMG_0296.JPG

In addition to the Care Kits, my friends here have given over $800 towards this Medical Outreach Project! Astounding! Only $1,800 to go before we have the funds needed for travel and in country expenses.

Still not too late to help provide a healthier future! ;)

Your feast sounded like it was wonderful! It was very different from the way that they served us on the couple occasions where we did the tour. The first time we only had two other companions, but the second time we had a large bunch and were with my parents. It turned out that we got a separate table and servings for us and my parents while the other six people on the tour were served family style on their own.

Very interesting that they split you all up. Makes sense, but I think I might have liked to get to know the others.

When we were served they gave us the dishes plated up as they may have been served in the restaurant. The Mac and cheese was on the plate with the Filet, the Chicken had the veggies that accompanied it on the side, etc. It seemed that they plated the proteins on one platter and the veggies on another and the mac by itself.

Hmmm, I think the Family style was a unique approach and in reality more "African" which I appreciated. But either way, it was soooooo yummy!

How early was dinner? I would have imagined that you would have checked in first before you did the tour....your alphabetical vs chronological thing is driving me nuts!!!!!!

We had to check in for the tour at 3:15, and only Anara and I were doing it. In order to keep the resort a surprise, it made sense for them to meet us all there AFTER our dinner with the idea we'd figure out our plan when they met up with us- ie. stay there and check in. So, no, I couldn't check in before our tour in order to keep things mum.

Really lucked out with your drink where else could you get a drink beginning with Q. The meal looks an excilent way to get a taste of Africa as well and to cap it all of you get a free exclusive pin as well. Great update about the Wanyama tour.Never mind I thought 45 out of 60 correct was a great score for your written exam considering what your work load and the events that have happened over the last few weeks. After November is completed you should have some free time to catch up on your flying studies.

Probably not a lot of other places or in such a creative way. The whole table cracked up so hard! My pin lanyard is growing! Just this year alone I've added some very nice exclusive pins for some amazing experiences. Yeah, the score was a bit of a bummer, but very much expected given the complete lack of studying I did. I am hoping to get back to it in December. :)

There's a restaurant near me called Border Cafe (@glennbo123 and @jedijill met us there once), but they have a giant sign out front that just says "EAT". For the longest time, I thought that was the name of the restaurant. And I thought it was the greatest restaurant name ever!

LOL!! That actually makes sense! And so much less redundant than Jiko: The Cooking Place (yes, I was mistaken the first time).

I like it! All complaints may be referred to the Department of Redundancy Department.

:laughing:

Hey, I'd never call you pretentious! The meal, maybe, or the chef, or the prices, but never you!

Phew! Dodged that bullet!

You have to love people with a quick wit. So entertaining!

I know! She was spot on!

(taking notes)

I try to keep her from licking her plate.

I know this feeling. I call it "Thanksgiving".

Oh yeah, that one that 4 pieces of pie need to be consumed "no matter what".

See that? She can be taught!

50 catches up pretty quick though. Short term memory issues are real.

That is so awesome!!! I think that probably would have stumped most people but she was really on the ball!!

I know for a fact I'd have failed at this. So happy my quest didn't fall apart right there! LOL!

Fish, beef AND chicken??? Wow. What a meal. It all looked fantastic though. I think my faves would be the breads and the mac and cheese too though lol

Too much!!! The mac and cheese was amazing! I'd go back just for that!

That's really cool that there is a special pin, if you're into that!! Which I am lol

I love all of my special pins. Not all are exclusive like this one, but I try to get one or two from each trip that really define what the trip was. Like MNSSHP or Club 33, or...

This tour looks so awesome! Nice finish with that meal! Love the Quit Yer Whining :rotfl2:

I think some of your little ones would love it! I know it's spendy, but maybe foregoing something else would make so you could treat them sometime?

She deserved kudos for a job well done in the wit dept!

That sounds like a very nice combination.

Aesthetics at the table and the restaurant are important to me. :) For me, it's not just about the food; I want a pretty place to relax and spend some time.

Depends on my mood. We had a lovely meal with our table mates at Teppan Edo but didn't say a work to our table mates at Biergarten.

Definitely depends on mood and personalities/moods of your tablemates too.

Bravo! Well said.

::yes::

I love bread!

Depends on the bread and mostly the toppings for me.

My axiom: "Bread is merely a vehicle for that which is placed upon it."
-SteppeSister

Dessert is my favorite part of the meal. I'm glad you partook. Not matter how much you ate at WDW just remember calories don't count at Disney and just tell yourself you needed to get you money's worth.

Oh! So that's why I come home 10 pounds heavier from WDW! Who knew?!

I just finished reading this report (so far) - what an amazing, magical trip and what a phenomenal trip report. Your wit and humor are inspiring, and your children seem so lovely. Belated congrats on graduation!! My sister and mother are nurses and I know that nursing school is no easy task. Thought I would come out and say hello since I have been reading along. We are staying at AKL for the first time next June (renting DVC points) and your trip report makes me even more excited to spend some time in this resort.

YAY!!! I'm so happy you came out to say hello and join in the fun!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Thank you for all your kind words! I wish I could devote more time to writing and interacting, but until my trip is over I'll be as often as I can and rely on my readers to provide the entertainment. ;)

I was beyond thrilled I actually made it through Nursing School and am now able to use those skills to leave the world a better place. I absolutely LOVE what I do everyday, and am honored to served in my profession! I love hearing about other nurses working hard- please give your sister and mom a nursey high five from me!!

You will absolutely adore AKL! It's just a stunning resort and there is so, so much to see and do there. Just beautiful!

View attachment 266740

In addition to the Care Kits, my friends here have given over $800 towards this Medical Outreach Project! Astounding! Only $1,800 to go before we have the funds needed for travel and in country expenses.

How wonderful! It is amazing that you are doing this - how can we contribute?

How wonderful! It is amazing that you are doing this - how can we contribute?

I love to travel and went to Nursing School so I could take my passions and make a tangible difference in the world. :)

We are going out with a small grassroots NGO out of the DC area called the Zaindriss Foundation. It was founded by a man who rose out of the poverty of the slum area of Freetown, Sierra Leone and now does anything and everything he can to "give back" to his country. We have a proposal out to fund a mobile health clinic van and a fixed site clinic and as we await funding we are doing this trip to get things moving.

If you go to zaindrissfoundaton . org (no spaces) there will be a link to donate. In the notes section, you can say you want it used for the November Medical Outreach Trip and that you'd like a receipt for tax purposes. :)

Anything is amazing! Of the $4,000 we need, we are at $2,800! Just a bit to go!

Aesthetics at the table and the restaurant are important to me. :) For me, it's not just about the food; I want a pretty place to relax and spend some time.

I've seen the pictures of your table setting for holidays and gatherings. They are always a great combination of elegance and warmth. They are very welcoming.

Just a few more posts...

... until total disappointment sets in.

Then I shall take you vicariously there!

Hey now!

Oh, wait.
That just sounds dirty.

Uh huh. Sure. And Winnipeg is warm in the winter.

It is!

Uh... my definition of "warm" may differ from yours.

It was a mistake. That turned into a hilarious debacle.

:lmao: You didn't!!

Nope. I asked them. They declined saying it "sounded boring".

You have got to be kidding me!!!

"Hey! Guess what! Bill Gates is offering to take us on a tour of his private yacht while touring the Mediterranean and then Elon Musk wants to take us for a ride around the world in one of his Space X rockets."
"Nah. Sounds boring."

I wish I had one. I really do. When I bought my last lens, I had to choose between the wide angle and macro and went wide specifically for Disney and even more specifically Main Street. Next, I'll splurge on the macro.

Actually, I think you made the wise choice.
I like macro photography, but... I use my wide, far more often.

No, never an annoyance deduction.

Sweet! Imma gonna use that!

It's a weight loss Fast Pass.

Schweet!

I don't know if I'll ever get my instrument rating. Heck at this point, I don't even know if can pass that stupid written exam.

You want to get your instrument rating?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Congratulations! I didn't even know you'd won the lottery!

Having had our fill of animals for the day

YOU ATE THE ANIMALS!?!?!?!? :eek:

it was time to get our fill of delicious food

More food? Weren't you full? I suspect a giraffe and a gazelle or two would be quite filling.

we hungrily approached Jiko: The Eating Place again. I love that name. As if it’s some other kind of place?

Oh, there's a reason. "jiko" is Swahili for "You can't eat here". It was just Jiko for a while, but some visitors from Africa kept avoiding the place and asking where they could eat. So they had to tack that on.

Maybe the pool there should be called Uzima Springs Pool: The Swimming Place. Or perhaps Splitsville should be called Splitsville: The Bowling Place. Am I also being redundant here?

I'm not sure. Could you tell me again?

I must admit, I splurged on quite a few signature meals this trip (it was a Nursing School Graduation Trip, afterall!),

I'd say that is an excellent reason to splurge. ::yes::

Call me pretentious, if you must

You're pretentious.

I didn't want to say it, but you said I must.
Do I get points for that or something?

I know at least one of you will (you know who you are),

Yeah, @Captain_Oblivious
Real nice, Mark.

Sheesh.

but I do love me a good meal, in a leisurely atmosphere, pretending I have money to spend

Then you're doing it wrong.
Make someone else pay for it.

See? She can pretend to have manners once in a while. Note the napkin her lap

Actually, I noticed that before I read that! :laughing:

#forksarebetterthanfingers

#whosays?

Side note: If you are uncomfortable with dining with people you don’t know, but could possibly be really awesome dinner companions, this tour isn’t for you.

I'm not a fan of being around strangers overly long... but this I could do.
Will admit that I'd probably shut down about halfway through.

Some of you may also think me a raging lush.

:wave:

I assure you unequivocally, I am not.

Uh, huh...

Nevertheless, I had a very entertaining alphabetic tour through Disney’s liquor cabinets.

... as she drinks more in one week than I do in a year.

Question NOT, Dear Readers, for she is as tenacious as pkondz at a Jack Skellington Meet.

Whoa! That's crazy!

You don’t really think Letter Q will leave her high and dry do you?

dry? No. High?... :rolleyes1

“Well, Server McLadyPants

Wow! With a name like that, it was pretty much a sure thing that she'd become a server.

I call foul!

That's like if you can't find "X" and you say
"Hey! Bartender! Shake up a third of an ounce of Bailey's cream, then a third of an ounce of Frangelico and a third of an ounce of Kahlua. Add about two ounces of milk in the shaker and call it an X-ray!"

Okay... so that actually is an X-ray, but the point is... you should have to order a drink that actually belongs with "Q". Not get a no-name drink and the server decides to call it something just to make you happy. Tomorrow that same drink will be called "I'm sorry you puked on a giraffe".

I’m WELL within reach by this point of being one of the fools few people (perhaps first and only) to attempt this.

I've certainly not heard of it before.
You may have started a new trend.

Next, Ms. McServer brought out a quite extensive and generous bread service. You know… that course that you pig out on so that everything else to follow is a struggle to ingest?

::yes::

I went from reasonable-eater-who-lives-the-mantra-“everything-in-moderation” (spare your commentary on this particular trip’s imbibing of cocktails)

Who, me? :rolleyes1:

I was only sorry that I could consume less mac and cheese 20 minutes later.

Must always leave room for mac 'n' cheese!!

IMG_2895%202.jpg

Whoa.... That looks... amazing.

By now, a haze grew over my eyes and my food baby grew to something akin to a 6-month gestation spectacle.

Congratulations!
Hoping the birth wasn't too painful.

I was glad commando wasn’t happening this day because somehow my top button ended up undone.

I didn't know it was that kind of a dinner!
dinner and a show! Woot!

the gut was screaming, “How much more, Woman, do you think I can contain and not make you feel utterly wretched for hours?”

I should have shoved another Quit Yer Whinin’ down there to shut Gut up,

Quite the spread!

But the mac cheese stole the show. <Shovel it in Steppe! You still have lots of zipper left to go.>

:lmao: Good thing you were wearing your pregnancy pants.

To ease your curiosity now, I only ended up suffering with only a mild case of guilt and a hefty case of indigestion all night long.

Uh, oh.
Well... I guess not entirely unexpected.

And I’m not even a dessert-y kind of gal. I almost NEVER order it because A) it costs money B) I’d rather get an appie, and C) I’m usually too full from everything else to have room.

I almost never order it too.
For the reason you mention in "C".

I gathered up my camera, my daughter (equally uncomfortable), and my bags in that order (See? once upon a time I DID actually keep my camera with me)

:faint:

View attachment 266740

I happen to know that some of those are mine!
Not too late to donate!

Alright, super behind... again. I do have 100% legit excuses and the cool part, many of YOU are part of this thing that's turned into a big, beautiful, but very, VERY time-consuming Monster.

Here's the deets as I know them.

Being the main point person and coordinator for this Medical Outreach Trip has sucked all of my free time including roughly 40 hours a week (very likely more). On top of the 20-25 hours a week I'm doing my day job. There have been endless phone calls and emails that have led to one disappointing dead-end after another, false lead, after false lead; endless conversations with miniscule progress with each one.

After literally MONTHS of searching for a charity who deals with donated medical goods, and then going through the, at times very frustrating, process of becoming an approved NGO with an approved Trip, words cannot even begin to describe the elation that washed over me as I received the invoices and shipping manifests for our supplies.

I'd suggest you sit down...

When I opened the finalized document, the total for all of the donated and purchased medical supplies, including surgical supplies, medications, antibiotics, etc came to over $130,000! It is now on its way to our Headquarters where it will be put on a cargo container to be shipped straight to Freetown!!

On top of that, I was able to ship 25 Hospital and School Kits (again made possible by several of YOU!!) plus 2 HUGE boxes of surgical supplies donated by my own company to be sent ahead of us as well.

But for me, that's not the best part. I have been told so many times that online friends aren't REAL friends. That is a load of horse manure told by those who have never been involved in a living, dynamic community such as the DIS where many deep friendships have been born. Of the $4,000 needed to cover our travel costs to go and do the Healthcare Teaching we are planning, over $3,150 has been donated.... and nearly $1,000 of that has COME FROM DISPeeps!! You are all amazing!!! From the bottom of my heart thank you. We will need that last $850, and we have until the end of September to raise that. God's big; He's got this, so I do not worry. :)

Also ANY unused meds in their ORIGINAL bottles or containers can be used, even if close or past expiration. Got medical supplies you aren't going to use? Old splints? Walking boots? Ace Bandages? Let me know... we have a clinic in the slum area that would love to receive any or all!!!!!!! Just PM me if you want to be part of this Project in any way.

My aunt and our CEO will be taking our passports and visa applications in on Monday. I'm busy making packing lists, writing our lesson plans, talking with the physician that runs the clinics we'll be visiting, and generally just getting giddy that things are coming together so nicely. It hasn't been easy but sooooooo, SO worth it. Soon, I will fulfill my long-time dream of dancing with my African brothers and sisters to the beat of drums and help bring some much needed training and smiles along the way. Thank you to all of you who are part of this big, beautiful Monster!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter