TGM and EUOE closing so what does that mean for our favorite rides.

Elsaalltheway

DIS Veteran
With two more rides shuttering their doors, for now (I'm assuming to make way for something new), what does this mean for other classic rides. I was thinking about this. How much can imagineers keep updating till the parks we remember as kids are gone? If you stepped foot on the Hollywood park the day it opened its doors there will be only one original ride and that is the Indiana Jones show. With technology totally shifting and moving what would you think if they decided to close Peter Pan (as this is the slowest load ride and inefficient) and maybe It's a Small World to add some new ground breaking technology ride. Two rides gone (poof). At what point does removing the "classics" over step the lines. I know that some rides become outdated and obsolete, but when is enough enough? When will Disney finally say, you've gutted the park enough of its past to make way for the future? What ride would you be the most upset if you hear it is being shuttered for good?

This has been discussed a lot since the announcements, but I think it's a ride by ride basis. You "never say never", but I would think things such as IASM, PP, Splash, etc...are unlikely to completely go away. They remain very popular. As much as I love WDW, even I admit that GMR and Ellen were hopelessly out of date. Given that and their relatively low ride usage, no real surprise they're going away. I don't know that means anything specific for other rides.

Yes, time marches on. Most of the parks look pretty different than what they did 20 years ago. Check out old park maps, and you'll see what I mean. Progress happens, like it or not (not saying that in a mean way, just a fact).

I was actually thinking about this last night. Eventually, basically every ride is going to close/be replaced by something new. Of course, we could be talking 30-50 years from now. But like PP said, it's hard to imagine the park without rides like IASM, SM, BTM, etc. But honestly, who knows :confused3

ETA: Thinking about this also makes me think...how long is WDW going to be around? I mean obviously (hopefully) it wouldn't close any time soon, but are my great great great grandchildren going to get to experience the parks?

Omg I need to stop thinking about this it's hurting my brain.

This has been discussed a lot since the announcements, but I think it's a ride by ride basis. You "never say never", but I would think things such as IASM, PP, Splash, etc...are unlikely to completely go away. They remain very popular. As much as I love WDW, even I admit that GMR and Ellen were hopelessly out of date. Given that and their relatively low ride usage, no real surprise they're going away. I don't know that means anything specific for other rides.

Yes, time marches on. Most of the parks look pretty different than what they did 20 years ago. Check out old park maps, and you'll see what I mean. Progress happens, like it or not (not saying that in a mean way, just a fact).
I totally understand that but really the only reason PP has a ride is because its a very slow ride and can only do a fraction of the loads that another ride can do. So if we are looking at the wait time for PP the bulk of that comes because the ride is inefficient and if the park is looking at efficiency, who knows. I know it will stay a lot longer becuase they just invested in tearing out the bathrooms to make the wait que longer.

Basically, if a ride is still popular, it will stick around. Look at Peter Pan's Flight. This is a 1955 original at Disneyland and it STILL commands long lines. They may spruce it up from time to time, or add effects with new technology, but It won't be going away until fewer people care about it. That does not seem to be happening any time soon.

I certainly worry about some of my favorites, like the Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress, though I still think they'd try to update them (which they have done to both with varying degrees of success) but I expect that one day they will be gone - well, the Tiki Room at MK anyway. The one at DL is actually quite popular and people are still very into it and sing along. It's a totally different experience!

Basically, if a ride is still popular, it will stick around. Look at Peter Pan's Flight. This is a 1955 original at Disneyland and it STILL commands long lines. They may spruce it up from time to time, or add effects with new technology, but It won't be going away until fewer people care about it. That does not seem to be happening any time soon.

I certainly worry about some of my favorites, like the Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress, though I still think they'd try to update them (which they have done to both with varying degrees of success) but I expect that one day they will be gone - well, the Tiki Room at MK anyway. The one at DL is actually quite popular and people are still very into it and sing along. It's a totally different experience!
I agree and I was just talking to my brother about the fact that Carousel needs to be updated because most of the technology we see in the future is already here. Well I think it will be very soon when our ovens are online, but with Alexa and everything else that can control our temp and the lights, and the VR already here. I think the its time for the imagineers to thing of a new scene for the future.

With two more rides shuttering their doors, for now (I'm assuming to make way for something new), what does this mean for other classic rides. I was thinking about this. How much can imagineers keep updating till the parks we remember as kids are gone? If you stepped foot on the Hollywood park the day it opened its doors there will be only one original ride and that is the Indiana Jones show. With technology totally shifting and moving what would you think if they decided to close Peter Pan (as this is the slowest load ride and inefficient) and maybe It's a Small World to add some new ground breaking technology ride. Two rides gone (poof). At what point does removing the "classics" over step the lines. I know that some rides become outdated and obsolete, but when is enough enough? When will Disney finally say, you've gutted the park enough of its past to make way for the future? What ride would you be the most upset if you hear it is being shuttered for good?
I think they should stop removing rides, and just add a new park for the new rides. I doubt that will happen, as they make more money building resorts, but that would solve this problem.

I agree and I was just talking to my brother about the fact that Carousel needs to be updated because most of the technology we see in the future is already here. Well I think it will be very soon when our ovens are online, but with Alexa and everything else that can control our temp and the lights, and the VR already here. I think the its time for the imagineers to thing of a new scene for the future.

The final scene wasn't originally the future, but rather the present, 1960s. It was meant to showcase all of the great things GE can do for your life and how long they had been at it. :) I don't necessarily mind the general level of tech in the final scene, but the style...that's what's dated! Also, the original show had a cadence of about 20 years between each scene: 1900's, 1920's, 1940's and 1960's. Personally, as the time jump gets to be so large before the final scene, I think it throws the show off. I think they might need to redo the entire thing to something like 1900's, 1940's, 1980's, and Today, or possibly better yet, just put the 1960's back in there and add some context about what the show is and what it means. I dunno which would work better, but I think they could do something to improve that aspect.

The final scene wasn't originally the future, but rather the present, 1960s. It was meant to showcase all of the great things GE can do for your life and how long they had been at it. :) I don't necessarily mind the general level of tech in the final scene, but the style...that's what's dated! Also, the original show had a cadence of about 20 years between each scene: 1900's, 1920's, 1940's and 1960's. Personally, as the time jump gets to be so large before the final scene, I think it throws the show off. I think they might need to redo the entire thing to something like 1900's, 1940's, 1980's, and Today, or possibly better yet, just put the 1960's back in there and add some context about what the show is and what it means. I dunno which would work better, but I think they could do something to improve that aspect.
That's a good idea. Put it back to where it was and then as people walk out we can really see how far we have come. I remember when I was in school in the 80's they were predicting flying cars by now, like in the Jettsons.

Tony Baxter said below
"I'm as pure as Disneyland fanatics can get, “ Tony Baxter told The Los Angeles Times in 1995 as the park embarked on a fateful program of change, “When a new ride comes and an old one drops out, there are bound to be twinges. But it has to happen, or (Disneyland) becomes a museum and an arthritic collection of things people were attached to in the '60s."

I got this from this website.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/06/disneyland-is-not-museum.html

Pete Werner also mentioned this on his Vlog from D23.

I'm not sure any ride or attraction is "safe" in perpetuity. I know a few architectural engineers at Disney and am always shocked about the things they've considered removing or changing.

Any time technology for a ride gets outdated, Disney faces a question: update the technology or just replace the ride. Depending on what is happening at the ride at that time could determine the outcome. 10, 15 years ago GMR ride was already starting to show it's age. It was still pretty popular though. As it got older and more stuff broke, fewer people started going (I can't remember the last time I went where I could actually hear the driver or anything with the "storyline" as the sound system was so bad.) Not drawing people = less chance it will stay.

Think of Journey into Imagination. When Figment and the Dreamfinder started getting really outdated, it was still a pretty big draw. So when time to update the technology came up, Disney decided on keeping the concept and "upgrading." (Whether or not it was an "upgrade" is pretty debatable, but they still kept Imagination as the theme.) Now, it's in dire need of a tech upgrade again...but it's not nearly the draw it used to be. Hence, Disney will likely IP it or put in something different. I will say that I remain in the camp that restoring Figment and actually putting the activities back at the end of the ride would be better, but Disney likes to look forward, not back.

Out of Tiki and CoP, I'm more worried about CoP.

I agree with most here. If its still a big draw i.e. Peter Pan, it will remain(though I'm sure Disney wished it ate more people per hour). Rides that have low wait time or no wait times will go.

Any time technology for a ride gets outdated, Disney faces a question: update the technology or just replace the ride. Depending on what is happening at the ride at that time could determine the outcome. 10, 15 years ago GMR ride was already starting to show it's age. It was still pretty popular though. As it got older and more stuff broke, fewer people started going (I can't remember the last time I went where I could actually hear the driver or anything with the "storyline" as the sound system was so bad.) Not drawing people = less chance it will stay.

Think of Journey into Imagination. When Figment and the Dreamfinder started getting really outdated, it was still a pretty big draw. So when time to update the technology came up, Disney decided on keeping the concept and "upgrading." (Whether or not it was an "upgrade" is pretty debatable, but they still kept Imagination as the theme.) Now, it's in dire need of a tech upgrade again...but it's not nearly the draw it used to be. Hence, Disney will likely IP it or put in something different. I will say that I remain in the camp that restoring Figment and actually putting the activities back at the end of the ride would be better, but Disney likes to look forward, not back.

Out of Tiki and CoP, I'm more worried about CoP.

I don't think I have ever waited more that 5 minutes for Imagination. I am really shocked its still around. Now that Epcot is getting some love, I wonder if Figment is on the chopping block.

The current version of Figment has to be on the chopping block. That entire pavilion is sad. The little stuff that remains after the ride hardly works, the ride itself is an embarrassment versus the well-loved previous version, and the queue, which was part of the reason they shrunk the line, is not needed. Pixar's shorts, or whatever plays in the old Captain EO space, is just shoehorned in. If they didn't have as big a problem with UoE, and an entirely empty pavilion with WoL, and completely empty space in Innoventions, I'm sure Imagination would be due for a revamp. But with problems all over FutureWorld, Imagination still functions, albeit badly, so it's not topping the list yet.

Rides are mechanical...they all eventually have to be replaced either in whole or constantly piece by piece.

As long as new generations of fans continue to start going from birth and they resonate...the classics are safe.

Disney's pricing policies have a lot to do with that however...you price the middle class completely out and that's gone change a 65 year dynamic.

I agree with most here. If its still a big draw i.e. Peter Pan, it will remain(though I'm sure Disney wished it ate more people per hour). Rides that have low wait time or no wait times will go.

I don't think I have ever waited more that 5 minutes for Imagination. I am really shocked its still around. Now that Epcot is getting some love, I wonder if Figment is on the chopping block.
As a person who attends all the time, I don't like to wait longer then 20 minutes, so why get rid of the rides with lower wait times, just because they have low wait times doesn't mean they are bad rides. I know often pirates is at 20 or lower when 7DMT can be at 90 minutes. Doesn't mean its unpopular. I'm not against updating parks at all. I mean honestly I think Disney can make more money if they do minimal changes to Disneyland and keep it close to where it is right now and then continue to make changes at Disneyland. That way when people want to go see some of their favorite rides and really step into days of their childhood, they can go to the westcoast and if people want rides of the future head to the east coast. Honestly it would not hurt my feelings one bit for them to get rid of Autopia, as there are lots of places that have go carts with more power than a riding lawnmower. That would free up almost a quarter of Futureland.

Disney seems to let things run down before they replace them. I remember how tattered Horizons was and that many people said they wouldn't ride it because of its condition. There seems to be method to this madness.

I will riot if they ever decide to replace the Haunted Mansion.

ETA: We must be unlucky because TGM always had a line when we rode it. I was hoping for change, not replacement.

They will and should continue to remove rides .. especially if they are unpopular and not drawing the crowds AND if they think they can replace it with something that will draw crowds. And especially at parks that struggle to attract guests because of a lack of attractions.
Look at how many rides are gone from MK of the 70s or 80s (or even 90s). Nothing should stay the same or it will get the reputation of being "old" and tired and people will not go (even if they would have a good time) simply because of the reputation.

Epcot, AK, DHS all were great when they first opened because they were new, but as time wore on, they still didn't have near enough attractions like MK does.
So combo a poorly attended park with a not really exciting ride .. and voila. Replacement.

Frankly, it seems the classic attractions at MK are somewhat safe .. I am surprised they haven't removed Country Bears Jamboree yet. It doesn't seem popular, and the humor is dated (and in some cases not as "kid-friendly" in today's society).

BUT .. old "classic" rides at MK can still be entertaining to NEW guests because their material is timeless or original. My son loved the animatronic bears and didn't care what they were saying. He liked the two heads on the wall coming to life. He also enjoyed the Carousel of Progress. He liked seeing the history of things in the home and to him . .the modern day scene wasn't dated to him (because . .well .. he is 4). He just enjoyed the song, the animatronics and the fact we moved in the theatre.
That being said, .. we walked on both those attractions on a decently busy day at MK. So who knows if they will ever replace those. (or update them). At this point, it isn't worth the money because MK pulls in attendance just fine.

Just look at Universal .. there were a ton of attractions they have replaced their because they were just simply DATED.
Why have a Jaws attraction for a generation who probably have NEVER seen Jaws (and never will)? Instead tear it down and make a Harry Potter attraction.

And maybe in 10-15 years . .they'll tear down the Wizarding World for the next best thing unless it becomes as timeless as Star Wars.

I think that Jaws is pretty timeless. At least the college crowd I know seems to think so. My son is still mad that they took it down. However Universal's problem is space which is not the case at WDW.

Disney seems to let things run down before they replace them. I remember how tattered Horizons was and that many people said they wouldn't ride it because of its condition. There seems to be method to this madness.

I will riot if they ever decide to replace the Haunted Mansion.

ETA: We must be unlucky because TGM always had a line when we rode it. I was hoping for change, not replacement.
I was hoping for change too. I kinda was hoping that they would bring in some of Disney's old classic movies, not cartoons but movies like the Parent Trap, or Swiss Family Robinson. People say that younger people are not interested in those things, but some kids were not interested in old movies either, but I've heard of kids going out and looking for the movies that were on TGMR. Why not re introduce some of the old classics instead of just another slow moving ride. Who knows they could bring some more movies out of the vault. I mean there are so many to chose from. They could even add facts of the movie, never before type stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter