Tell me about Hilton Head...

Jennymac

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are relatively close (3-hour drive) to Hilton Head and were thinking of going for a long weekend. For those of you who have been there or are familiar with it, is there anything I need to know before we go? I am a little concerned that there doesn't seem to be a full-service restaurant, since we don't like to have fix every meal on our own for vacation. Are there other restaurants off the property nearby and do they close seasonally? We are thinking about going next month for my husband's birthday or possibly in January for our anniversary--special occiasions to say the least! Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks!

HH (the island) has over 300 restaurants to choose from. There are about 6 within 400 yards of the DVC resort and many more within a 5 minute drive.

The resort will provide a list of area dining spots which offer a DVC discount and there are free magazines available (all over- including at the resort) which give a detailed description of the restaurants and their menus.

In addition, the resort itself offers a great program called "A Private Affair" which allows an on-site dining opportunity in a GV prepared by Gordon, the resort Chef. A truly wonderful dining option!

Enjoy!

We stayed at HHI for a long weekend in April. We loved it! There's no reason why they'd need a restaurant onsite (don't think there would be room on DVC's small island anyway), there are many within walking distance. I've heard that at least half of Hilton Head's restaurants are open most of the year. We ate at 3 different restaurants just over the bridge from the resort; sorry I can't remember the names but it's very compact in that area so walking is no problem. There are also multiple pizza places, etc. within a short drive. I'm no expert on HHI, though, I'm sure you'll get more complete info from other members soon.

Jenny,
We just came back from HH. There's plenty of food on the island, all accessible to you since you will be driving. Most of the restaurants were open when we were there, although some of the hours were shorter than in season. Your best bet is to call ahead of going to be sure they are open. When you check in at HH, you'll receive a booklet of restaurants and their menus, a list of restaurants where DVC members get discounts, and another dining guide. Some places will even deliver for a fee.

The snack bar at the resort, Tide Me Over, was open from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. while we were there. It's good for breakfast and lunch. Signals, the snack bar-restaurant at the Beach House, was open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. We had lunch on the patio overlooking the ocean and we were the only ones there. Snacks and some food is available in the resort store, the Broad Creek Mercantile, which was open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

One night when we didn't feel like going any where, we ate an early dinner at Scott's Fish Market, which is in walking distance from the HH resort, and watched the yachts sail by. Kingfisher's also is in walking distance -- in front of the entrance to the resort, but we didn't get a chance to try it. There are many, many excellent restaurants, family style to fine dining. You certainly won't go hungry! :)

If you go for your anniversary, I recommend having "A Private Affair" at the resort. Chef Gordon will prepare a gourmet meal for you in a Grand Villa. My DH and I did this in celebration of our anniversary while we were there this week, and it was wonderful.

Enjoy,
KMarie

Thank you all so much for all of this great information! We will definitely be going to HHI soon and will certainly be doing the Private Affair--it sounds wonderful!

Thanks again!

Shelter Cove Harbor, just across the bridge from the resort, a very nice walk, has several great restaurants. We did not enjoy the Kingfisher, but everyone has different tastes. We loved Scott's Fishmarket. If you like Mexican, San Miguel is very good. There is also an Italian place I think, which we haven't tried yet. There is also a deli. One night my husband went over and got sandwiches for everyone, and they were quite good.

Enjoy HH, it's our home resort, and it's been great since we live just up the road from you in Concord NC. It's not a bad drive at all.

Dana

We own at HH also. The great thing is that we are moving in 2 weeks to Charlotte NC !!! How far is the drive from there? We will be just south by Interstate 485. Thanks!!

You're probably 45 minutes closer than we are. It takes us 5 hours with LOTS of stops. I'd say driving time for us is around 4 to 4 1/2. So You're probably at 3 1/2 or so.

Dana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter