Tell me about dining- I feel lost!

pixiedust2u

Mouseketeer
We were last at Uni in 2018, but our kids were a lot younger so it was a different kind of trip. We’ve done Disney 4 times since then and have our dining preferences and routines down. But I’m lost when it comes to universal! I’m anxiously awaiting park hours for the first weekend in Feb….
Do most people eat in the parks and do a sit down meal? Or do you leave and eat at city walk? What restaurants are recommended for dinner in the parks vs city walk? We are also there during Mardi Gras so I assume they have some dining options for that?
Any input is appreciated!

What type of meals do you like? We’re a party of 5 and generally go at busier times so we tend to make reservations (they’re easy to change and cancel unlike Disney).You’re also better off having a reservation if you want to eat in City Walk at park close - there’s a lot of people with the same idea. Other than that and the busy places like Mythos or Toothsome’s you can often go without reservations.

We like to have one sit down and one quick service a day. We find it’s less busy if we do the quick service at dinner and the sit down at lunch. Especially the HP restaurants. It’s easy to get to and from CW so it’s easy to go there to eat and then back to the parks.

Most people eat lunch inside the parks and dinner at City Walk. I agree with making a reservation if you know you want to eat at a specific restaurant for dinner especially Fri-Sunday.
At Mardi Gras, Studios should have food kiosks/trucks (think an Epcot festival). If we visit during Mardi Gras we eat at those for something more unique. Watch some YouTube videos from February 2023 to know what to expect.

We were last at Uni in 2018, but our kids were a lot younger so it was a different kind of trip. We’ve done Disney 4 times since then and have our dining preferences and routines down. But I’m lost when it comes to universal! I’m anxiously awaiting park hours for the first weekend in Feb….
Do most people eat in the parks and do a sit down meal? Or do you leave and eat at city walk? What restaurants are recommended for dinner in the parks vs city walk? We are also there during Mardi Gras so I assume they have some dining options for that?
Any input is appreciated!
You didn't mention where you are staying. If at a Universal resort, there are also dining options there. I'm usually there when the parks close fairly early so don't generally eat dinner in the parks.

My favorite in-park sit down restaurant is the more casual Confisco Grille at IOA. Mythos is very good and a cool setting. AT US we have eaten at Finnegan's (Irish food and music) and Lombard's seafood. Look at the menus and see what you might like.

There are a ton of places at City Walk. We tend to be casual eaters and like Antojitos and Margaritaville, but there are SO many other options. Cowfish is very popular, people like Bigfire but I haven't tried either.

We just got back and have also been during the Mardi Gras celebration. My tips:
- Three Broomsticks and to a lesser extent Leaky Cauldron will always be slammed between late breakfast and lunch. But they can sometimes be near-deserted around dinner time, especially if you grab a late dinner. The food is great and a good value for your money.
- We were shocked at how much we liked the food at the new Minions cafe. The cauliflower and salmon entrees were standouts but my little one also loved the grilled cheese and green tomato soup. You order using the app once you're seated, so it's not as chaotic as some QS places where you have to find a table while balancing a full tray of food.
-Lunch reservations at Mythos and Finnegan's make for nice long midday breaks. Lombards can be nice if the outdoor seating is open but the portions are tiny for the price. In general, I prefer doing TS for lunch and QS for dinner to avoid lines and the worst of the crowds.
-Antojitos (Citywalks) is terrible. Taco Bell is better and not $150 for a family of 4. Avoid.
- Butterbeer is one of the few overpriced park-specific items I find worth it, especially the frozen variety. Pairs nicely with a fresh hot pretzel.
-Florean Fortescue's ice cream parlor is fantastic. We went nearly every day. If you're an HP fan, the Strawberry and Peanut Butter is a must.
- We've yet to be impressed with any Citywalk restaurants. But Bice at Portofino and Orchids at RP are very good if expensive.
- I think all the doughnuts at Universal are rubbish, yes, including Voodoo. Stale and dry and too much icing.
- The Marvel Character dinner at IOA is expensive but the food options were not bad, if a random assortment, and the experience includes a character photo.

If you are staying onsite, your room will include a coffee maker and a small fridge. We ordered some milk, bottled water, muffins, and a few other items from Instacart and avoided the lines and expense of stopping at Starbucks every morning.

Thank you everyone!
We are staying on property at Royal Pacific for 3 nights. We are staying fri- Monday and our park days are Sat & Sun. I think what’s throwing me is that the restaurants are open for reservations, but park hours are not yet listed ( for February)

We generally do room service for breakfast. I would like to give cowfish a try for dinner, looks like lots of times open, so I’ll check back once park hours are posted. Seems like reservations aren’t as important or in demand for universal as they can be for WDW, so I’ll check back once park hours are listed. I just don’t want to end up tired, and hungry and figuring out where to eat and end up eating lousy theme park food.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions!

In general, I don't think Universal really has lousy theme park food unless you are just big into health food or high end cooking. For instance, the Three Broomsticks (quick service) in the HP area has a family meal consisting of salad, rotisserie chicken, ribs, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, and roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, and red peppers). This was a huge favorite of my kids when they were younger and far from the typical greasy hamburger or hot dog and fries you think of from a theme park.

I recommend taking some time to look through the menus for the quick service restaurants. I feel like some of them may surprise you. Same with the quick service options at the different resorts. It's very easy to hop over to one for dinner. For instance, I keep hearing how amazing and huge the wok bowls are at Aventura. We will probably try them out one night. The pictures I've seen look great.

If possible, I also recommend trying Cowfish for lunch instead of dinner. We went for dinner on a weekend night in November, and it was awful. Extremely crowded, loud, and the service was horrible because they were so busy (slow service, wrong food, drinks sitting empty entire meal). Some of our group also went for lunch that same weekend and said that lunch had been way better.

Something else to keep in mind is that Universal is offering the dine and ride promotion now for Mardi Gras where you get a meal and a seat to ride on one of the parade floats. I'm not sure how popular this promotion is, but it may increase the volume at the 4 restaurants they are offering it at (Lombard's, Cowfish, Finnegan’s, and NBC Sports Grill).

Like you, we will be going the first week of February. Honestly, we are staying a full week on property, and I have not made one reservation yet. I don't plan to until the last minute, probably during the trip on the day of, but there's only two of us. We also don't particularly care where we eat as we have so many favorites and a whole week to fit them all in. I'll just see what is available when we get hungry, but if I had a larger group, I'd make any must do reservations ahead of time just to be safe. Still, it is usually easy to make same day reservations and to change reservations, so you can be quite flexible with your plans. I was able to move and change our plans for our party of 6 in November at the last minute, and all the restaurants were packed, so many people never even bother that reservations sit unclaimed, so don't stress too much.

We usually do a mix of table service, counter service, and snacks during our trips at our favorite places (Three Broomsticks, Leaky Cauldron, Confisco, Mythos, The Kitchen at HRH, Cow Fish, Bubba Gump, RPR Pool Bar, Today Cafe, Dr. Seuss bakery / candy shop, HP bakery/ candy shop, Toothsome (for dessert only, not food)) with our bigger meals at lunch. We then take the leftovers back to the room to save for a snack or dinner later. I'm not a big fan of being in the parks during the most crowded middle part of the day, so we tend to take longer lunch breaks mid-day when the parks are the most crowded and in summer, the hottest. Sometimes in the park. Sometimes in Citywalk or at a resort restaurant.

As far as park hours, I'm expecting the parks to close no later than 7, possibly 6 that week. Universal lists 7 for the last week of January which should be comparable, but Orlando Informer lists 6 for the first week of February. My guess is those are last year's hours. Either way, the parks will most likely close early unless there is a concert. Universal still has not announced the concert dates. If there isn't a concert, I expect Citywalk to be crazy busy at park close with everyone leaving right at the same time at 6 or 7 and wanting dinner, so I would definitely plan for reservations for that time. Parks closed at 7 in November and reservations were needed. Personally, after our November experience, I think we will try to avoid Citywalk at night and either eat quick service, at resort restaurants, eat leftovers in the room, or do room-service, but I get that those probably aren't great options for a family only there for the weekend.

I'd go ahead and plan dinner reservations for around 7 / 7:15. If the parks close at 7, you only need to leave a few minutes early to make your reservation. If the parks end up closing at 6, take the time to go look in the giant Universal gift shop in Citywalk, take a bathroom break, go show the kids the Berlin Wall behind Hardrock, take some pictures, etc. 45 minutes will fly by, and souvenir shopping not during park hours is a better use of time anyway when you only have the weekend for the trip. The other option is make early reservations around 5 or 5:30 to beat the crowds, but then you'll be forfeiting sometime in the parks that you might not want to miss. Last option is to make lunch reservations which I think will provide you better service overall but will definitely eat into the most park time. There are quick service options in Citywalk you can eat for dinner as well, but I'm not sure they are quite as good as the options inside the parks.

Hopefully, I haven't confused you too much.

Last edited:
I totally recommend doing the breakfast buffet at Islands Dining Room one of your mornings. They might have concerts both Fridays and Saturdays of Mardi Gras, the concerts start after the evening parade. I like the 2 HP quick service but go at off peak times, Confisco Grill is good, CowFish is good- burgers and sushi.

We've always had good meals at Cowfish. It can get crazy busy in there though, so good to try and off time, like 4:30 for dinner, etc. or leave the parks for a late lunch. DH and kids generally like Toothsome's. My food has just been ok, nothing great, but the ambiance is fun. In park can be a challenge, especially when we have such different tastes. Last trip, DH, DD, DS, and I all split up for lunch, 4 different places. haha. Usually it doesn't come to that.
I do think IoA has some really crappy QS places. We tend to avoid the ones in Toon Lagoon, and Super Hero Island. DH has really enjoyed the meals at Thunder Falls. I like tots from Green Eggs/Ham, but they're not a full meal. And since it's been a while, try Three Broomsticks mostly for experience.
We've never eaten at the SImpson's fast food boulevard. It's always insanely busy in there. Last trip, we wanted to try Minions Cafe, but it was swamped, but I've read lots of great reviews about it> I plan on checking it out next trip for sure. The food looks SO cute! I've enjoyed several sandwiches at Today Cafe. Louie's pizza is QS pizza, but it was good. Finally got a crepe from the stand, and super yummy, but still quite a pain to wait for it. Sure hope they'll expand the capacity there.
DH's go-to is Finnegan's. He's always been happy there, and kids and I are mostly too.
We enjoyed the Mardi Gras food booths year before last. While they are similar to Epcot festival booths, the offerings are a bit pricier, think $8-10 per item, vs $5-7 at Epcot, BUT the portions were a lot bigger. We found lots of good stuff at the booths.
And the suggestion of Fortian's is spot on. It's the best ice cream in the parks there, better than anything in Disney, except maybe Salt/Straw. I don't generally like soft serve at all, so I always got the more unique scooped varieites, like clotted cream, etc. but last year I tried butterbeer softserve, and it was life changing. I"m never going back!
I did experience quite a bit of trouble with mobile order in October, It was a very busy lunch time in a very busy park, so maybe that had something to do with it, but after trying multiple restaurants, and multiples times, just gave up. Hope they get a better system figured out. We LOVE mobile order at Disney, and when it works at Universal

Happy Planning, and hope you have a wonderful trip. We just did a quick stay at RPH last June, and loved the resort. Going to be so much fun!!

In general, I don't think Universal really has lousy theme park food unless you are just big into health food or high end cooking. For instance, the Three Broomsticks (quick service) in the HP area has a family meal consisting of salad, rotisserie chicken, ribs, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, and roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, and red peppers). This was a huge favorite of my kids when they were younger and far from the typical greasy hamburger or hot dog and fries you think of from a theme park.

I recommend taking some time to look through the menus for the quick service restaurants. I feel like some of them may surprise you. Same with the quick service options at the different resorts. It's very easy to hop over to one for dinner. For instance, I keep hearing how amazing and huge the wok bowls are at Aventura. We will probably try them out one night. The pictures I've seen look great.

If possible, I also recommend trying Cowfish for lunch instead of dinner. We went for dinner on a weekend night in November, and it was awful. Extremely crowded, loud, and the service was horrible because they were so busy (slow service, wrong food, drinks sitting empty entire meal). Some of our group also went for lunch that same weekend and said that lunch had been way better.

Something else to keep in mind is that Universal is offering the dine and ride promotion now for Mardi Gras where you get a meal and a seat to ride on one of the parade floats. I'm not sure how popular this promotion is, but it may increase the volume at the 4 restaurants they are offering it at (Lombard's, Cowfish, Finnegan’s, and NBC Sports Grill).

Like you, we will be going the first week of February. Honestly, we are staying a full week on property, and I have not made one reservation yet. I don't plan to until the last minute, probably during the trip on the day of, but there's only two of us. We also don't particularly care where we eat as we have so many favorites and a whole week to fit them all in. I'll just see what is available when we get hungry, but if I had a larger group, I'd make any must do reservations ahead of time just to be safe. Still, it is usually easy to make same day reservations and to change reservations, so you can be quite flexible with your plans. I was able to move and change our plans for our party of 6 in November at the last minute, and all the restaurants were packed, so many people never even bother that reservations sit unclaimed, so don't stress too much.

We usually do a mix of table service, counter service, and snacks during our trips at our favorite places (Three Broomsticks, Leaky Cauldron, Confisco, Mythos, The Kitchen at HRH, Cow Fish, Bubba Gump, RPR Pool Bar, Today Cafe, Dr. Seuss bakery / candy shop, HP bakery/ candy shop, Toothsome (for dessert only, not food)) with our bigger meals at lunch. We then take the leftovers back to the room to save for a snack or dinner later. I'm not a big fan of being in the parks during the most crowded middle part of the day, so we tend to take longer lunch breaks mid-day when the parks are the most crowded and in summer, the hottest. Sometimes in the park. Sometimes in Citywalk or at a resort restaurant.

As far as park hours, I'm expecting the parks to close no later than 7, possibly 6 that week. Universal lists 7 for the last week of January which should be comparable, but Orlando Informer lists 6 for the first week of February. My guess is those are last year's hours. Either way, the parks will most likely close early unless there is a concert. Universal still has not announced the concert dates. If there isn't a concert, I expect Citywalk to be crazy busy at park close with everyone leaving right at the same time at 6 or 7 and wanting dinner, so I would definitely plan for reservations for that time. Parks closed at 7 in November and reservations were needed. Personally, after our November experience, I think we will try to avoid Citywalk at night and either eat quick service, at resort restaurants, eat leftovers in the room, or do room-service, but I get that those probably aren't great options for a family only there for the weekend.

I'd go ahead and plan dinner reservations for around 7 / 7:15. If the parks close at 7, you only need to leave a few minutes early to make your reservation. If the parks end up closing at 6, take the time to go look in the giant Universal gift shop in Citywalk, take a bathroom break, go show the kids the Berlin Wall behind Hardrock, take some pictures, etc. 45 minutes will fly by, and souvenir shopping not during park hours is a better use of time anyway when you only have the weekend for the trip. The other option is make early reservations around 5 or 5:30 to beat the crowds, but then you'll be forfeiting sometime in the parks that you might not want to miss. Last option is to make lunch reservations which I think will provide you better service overall but will definitely eat into the most park time. There are quick service options in Citywalk you can eat for dinner as well, but I'm not sure they are quite as good as the options inside the parks.

Hopefully, I haven't confused you too much.
This is all so helpful. Thank you so much!
Hope you have a wonderful vacation. Who knows maybe we’ll see you there!

We've always had good meals at Cowfish. It can get crazy busy in there though, so good to try and off time, like 4:30 for dinner, etc. or leave the parks for a late lunch. DH and kids generally like Toothsome's. My food has just been ok, nothing great, but the ambiance is fun. In park can be a challenge, especially when we have such different tastes. Last trip, DH, DD, DS, and I all split up for lunch, 4 different places. haha. Usually it doesn't come to that.
I do think IoA has some really crappy QS places. We tend to avoid the ones in Toon Lagoon, and Super Hero Island. DH has really enjoyed the meals at Thunder Falls. I like tots from Green Eggs/Ham, but they're not a full meal. And since it's been a while, try Three Broomsticks mostly for experience.
We've never eaten at the SImpson's fast food boulevard. It's always insanely busy in there. Last trip, we wanted to try Minions Cafe, but it was swamped, but I've read lots of great reviews about it> I plan on checking it out next trip for sure. The food looks SO cute! I've enjoyed several sandwiches at Today Cafe. Louie's pizza is QS pizza, but it was good. Finally got a crepe from the stand, and super yummy, but still quite a pain to wait for it. Sure hope they'll expand the capacity there.
DH's go-to is Finnegan's. He's always been happy there, and kids and I are mostly too.
We enjoyed the Mardi Gras food booths year before last. While they are similar to Epcot festival booths, the offerings are a bit pricier, think $8-10 per item, vs $5-7 at Epcot, BUT the portions were a lot bigger. We found lots of good stuff at the booths.
And the suggestion of Fortian's is spot on. It's the best ice cream in the parks there, better than anything in Disney, except maybe Salt/Straw. I don't generally like soft serve at all, so I always got the more unique scooped varieites, like clotted cream, etc. but last year I tried butterbeer softserve, and it was life changing. I"m never going back!
I did experience quite a bit of trouble with mobile order in October, It was a very busy lunch time in a very busy park, so maybe that had something to do with it, but after trying multiple restaurants, and multiples times, just gave up. Hope they get a better system figured out. We LOVE mobile order at Disney, and when it works at Universal

Happy Planning, and hope you have a wonderful trip. We just did a quick stay at RPH last June, and loved the resort. Going to be so much fun!!
adding butterbeer soft serve to my must try list! Thanks for all the tips!

Park hours are up. 🥳

Mostly, 9:00 and 7:00 for February with a few 6:00 and 8:00 scattered here and there.

First weekend:
Saturday 9:00
Sunday 7:00

Park hours are up. 🥳

Mostly, 9:00 and 7:00 for February with a few 6:00 and 8:00 scattered here and there.

First weekend:
Saturday 9:00
Sunday 7:00
Saw that! Super excited for the 9pm close on the Saturday. Plan on doing a mid day lunch break at cowfish, then will do dinner somewhere in the park. Love the vibe of parks at night!

Saw that! Super excited for the 9pm close on the Saturday. Plan on doing a mid day lunch break at cowfish, then will do dinner somewhere in the park. Love the vibe of parks at night!

Sounds like a great plan. I was a little sad to see Sunday is only 7, though. I don't think we'll be doing the parks Saturday as that's arrival day for us and also I'm expecting a concert to block them out, but who knows. I'd love to do dinner at one of the restaurants in the parks if it works out. It would be a great way to start out our trip.

Yep, generally doing TS for lunch and QS for dinner is the way to go because practically everyone does the opposite. I couldn’t believe some of the lunch lines at QS I saw as we were making our way to Mythos. Even with waiting a few minutes to be seated and to place our order I bet we got our food faster than some of those folks.

Also seconding the recommendation of the Islands breakfast buffet. We don’t usually eat big breakfasts but once a trip, it’s great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter