Tell me about AP park entrances

shocker

It's a WDW realty that not every moment is magical
This will be my first time to the parks with my AP since they started the AP entrances. What benefit is it really? Would I have to split from the rest of my group using tickets or would they come with me? What was your experience using them? Was there a difference, depending on which park you were at?

it only really helps at RD and then sometimes not. I have been told and was able to bring my parents in the AP line with me on our first day at the park just fine ( they then got AP later that day) and when I am there at RD it is not uncommon for a guest to ask the CM if they can bring someone with them and they have all ( that I have heard ask) been told yes normally it is 2 or 3 people not sure what would happen if you tried 15 people

This will be my first time to the parks with my AP since they started the AP entrances. What benefit is it really? Would I have to split from the rest of my group using tickets or would they come with me? What was your experience using them? Was there a difference, depending on which park you were at?

Pretty simple for the most part.... there's a sign the says Passholder and usually a couple of dedicated tap stations. Sometimes the AP line is longer than the regular line, sometimes it's shorter. Depends on the park, the time of day, how many regular gates are open, etc.

If the line is shorter, I use it... if not, I use the regular line. For me it's variable.

Never have saved me time.
Even when there are long lines elsewhere.
You'd think, AP users = someone who knows what they are doing.
Nope. Not in our luck. We manage to get AP users that seems to forget they have seasonal AP with black out dates and always attempt to enter when not permitted.
Unfortunately, instead of sending them aside and allowing others to come on in, they hold up the entire line arguing with the CM. Every time.
Or some other reason their AP doesn't work. Wrong finger, etc. (something else you'd think an AP user would remember)
If they'd just send these guests to the side and let others keep on coming in it would be fine. Instead, they hold up everyone. And since there are only 1 or 2 (at most) rows of turnstiles for AP, it just gums up the entire thing.
Could be great, but in theory aren't.

Nope. Not in our luck. We manage to get AP users that seems to forget they have seasonal AP with black out dates and always attempt to enter when not permitted.
Unfortunately, instead of sending them aside and allowing others to come on in, they hold up the entire line arguing with the CM. Every time.
Or some other reason their AP doesn't work. Wrong finger, etc. (something else you'd think an AP user would remember)
If they'd just send these guests to the side and let others keep on coming in it would be fine. Instead, they hold up everyone. And since there are only 1 or 2 (at most) rows of turnstiles for AP, it just gums up the entire thing.

For the most part, this is our experience at every tap station, our morning usually starts with a glance back and eye roll from DH that we are ALWAYS behind the group you describe above. I was wondering if the AP line would be the "we have our act together" crowd.

There's nothing biggie about these entrances,maybe someday at rope drop it might save you time,many times you see 10-12 people trying to go in through there when the other turnstiles have 2-3,why would I use the AP line,for the most part its just Disney making it seem like AP holders have an advantage to get others to buy an AP.If you enter at RD often maybe it works better,I rarely enter the parks at RD so I don't know.

For the most part, this is our experience at every tap station, our morning usually starts with a glance back and eye roll from DH that we are ALWAYS behind the group you describe above. I was wondering if the AP line would be the "we have our act together" crowd.
It should, shouldn't it? But nope, still isn't.

It's a separate line either off to the far right or far left. Usually when I'm entering the parks it's the shortest line, but it can also be the biggest.

Like any line whether it's the parking booths or the main entrance, I choose the shortest line by the eye test. Just because it's the AP line doesn't mean it's any different, but it can be shorter a lot of times.

If all the lines look the same, I'll pick the AP line.

We were told explicitly by one CM that non-AP holders are welcome to accompany an AP holder through the AP line and we never even were questioned when DW and I (both AP holders) went through with DS20 (non-AP).

We did arrive just a bit after the gates opened at AK and the non-AP lines were back to the ticket booths, but the AP line was empty. So in that one case we saw a definite benefit. Not enough benefit to get to the FOP line before it reached 2.5 hours, but enough to get to Navi River while the standby wait was just five minutes. I think we got into the park a good 20-30 minutes ahead of a family we rode the bus with.

That is the one time I've seen any significant benefit from the AP line, however.

It should, shouldn't it? But nope, still isn't.

Since I have been an AP line cloger before, I blame Disney!

One time me and DS somehow had our MVMCP tickets "prioritized" over our APs. In October mind you, not even MVMCP season. Lots of blue Mickeys. Yeah, folks behind us were not happy.

And in October when they insisted on making my barely 3 year old use the finger scanner. One, she can barely reach, two, kids that little are super wiggly and just don't 'get' the scanner. Finally the CM got the manager who did the photo thing.

So if I ever blocked your way in the AP line, I apologize! :rotfl:

THIS.
EXACTLY THIS.

Not sure how to explain it but every time we actually use the AP line we have the exact same experience. I have no idea how people with APs could be so clueless about the process. We have also found there are a much higher number of non English speaking guests who use the AP lines. Unfortunately a high percentage of those guests seem to have to idea what they are supposed to do and the language barrier makes it very difficult for the CMs to help them. I agree with @AngiTN. In the regular line if someone's band isn't reading correctly or there is an issue a CM with one of the iPads seems to suddenly appear and they take the guest off to the side to take care of the issue so the rest of the line can get in the park. That just never seems to happen in the AP line. We were there last week and the "wrong finger" issue was what held the line up 80% of the time.

One time me and DS somehow had our MVMCP tickets "prioritized" over our APs. In October mind you, not even MVMCP season. Lots of blue Mickeys. Yeah, folks behind us were not happy.

And in October when they insisted on making my barely 3 year old use the finger scanner. One, she can barely reach, two, kids that little are super wiggly and just don't 'get' the scanner. Finally the CM got the manager who did the photo thing.

LOL... it wouldn't be an issue if they'd just take you "types" off to the side ;)

Hint for the littles in the future, have them put the very tip of their finger at the top of the scanner. So the pad is pretty much touching the end. This gives it a fixed position. Helps in 95% of the cases since it's all about positioning on the scanner. Those little fingers are often not in the same place twice, since their little fingers don't fill up the reader. If they use the "touch the top" trick each time, it usually works. Usually.

Thanks for owning up! I knew "y'all" were out there.

We got stuck behind confused people on MLK Day at Epcot and instead of moving them to the side, we all had to wait while they called a supervisor over and continued the conversation. So frustrating sometimes :/

I've yet to find the AP entrance to save any time and often, it has the longest lines.

Don't get behind us in line - I always choose the one that has someone with a ticket issue.

LOL... it wouldn't be an issue if they'd just take you "types" off to the side ;)

Hint for the littles in the future, have them put the very tip of their finger at the top of the scanner. So the pad is pretty much touching the end. This gives it a fixed position. Helps in 95% of the cases since it's all about positioning on the scanner. Those little fingers are often not in the same place twice, since their little fingers don't fill up the reader. If they use the "touch the top" trick each time, it usually works. Usually.

Thanks! Yeah, we've finally gotten that trick figured out for DS7 (and it totally works!). DD3, that's a whole other ordeal! ;)

Pretty simple for the most part.... there's a sign the says Passholder and usually a couple of dedicated tap stations. Sometimes the AP line is longer than the regular line, sometimes it's shorter. Depends on the park, the time of day, how many regular gates are open, etc.

If the line is shorter, I use it... if not, I use the regular line. For me it's variable.

Both of these. We've had a very mixed experience. We've had times where it really did save us a decent amount of time. In fact, true story, one time it probably saved us from missing a FP+. We always try to time our first FP+ to start well before we get in the park. That way, we can get to the second one quicker and easier. So for example, we'll set our first one from 9:00am to 10:00am but not arrive at the park until 9:40am. One morning we were running a bit behind at MK, and the monorail was a bit slower than normal. We got to the tap point and the lines were all long, except for the dedicated AP line. We had maybe 10 minutes until our FP+ for Splash was going to expire (including our grace period). We got right through the AP tap point with no wait and made a dash to Splash. I think we made it with 2 minutes to spare.

But then, there's the flip side, as mentioned above. Sometimes the line is longer than "regular" lines because they only have a few dedicated tap points for AP holders, so it can back up quickly. Or, you get the inevitable AP holder who doesn't have their stuff together, or non-AP people trying to go through and making a stink.

I know we clog up every line we enter, since the reader cannot read our 5 and 3 year olds prints. No matter what we try. Every Single Time!

It's annoying, especially when they ask, "was this the finger you used before?" Every. Single. Time.

Then a lead comes buy, takes their picture with an IPAD. Every. Single. Time.

Wish they would just get monitors or something and have your face pop up.

Perhaps a dedicated line for people with finger scanning issues would be great.

Except that line would take forever!! lol

:confused3:confused3

Now that I think about, this was us once too, I mean TWICE. I also blame Disney!! We bought the, I believe it was called Premier AP one year. Entrance to both DLR and WDW for a year (read we spent LOTS of $$). We had to buy the pass at a park and happened to go to WDW first and purchase and use. Then a few months later, we go to DLR. Get to turnstile, tickets won't work. In our case, we were moved to the side. Met with 3 different CM's, were told "media from WDW doesn't work on DLR systems" to which my reply "not my problem" and "you sold me your ticket, a ticket you dreamed up, advertised and sold." A couple phone calls and a few FP's for the delay and we were on our way. Day 2, still doesn't work, moved to side again, a few more phone calls, "ya, this is going to take a few days to update before we can read the media too", a few more sets of FP. Day 3 we hoped for a delay, we liked walking in with FP in hand (only paper at DLR then), but it finally worked. So, I'm with you! I bought the ticket, they couldn't read it :confused3 Again, not my problem. I think what I most enjoy is when it seems like your the first person ever to do this. That there aren't hundreds, if not thousands, that went before you and they've already located and fixed the bugs.

I will say this is a bad start to the day. My kids feel like we're in trouble since they aren't letting us in. Like we've done something "bad." They feel like they got sent to the principal's office.

On our trip last Nov. the AP line at AK was about 1/10 the length as the normal line at rope drop. Definitely saved time in this situation.

Reactions: TAK
I've seen it be shorter, and seen it be longer. I've learned to really only use it if it is MUCH shorter than the other lines. The reason being, they generally only open one side of the tapstiles for the AP line. Which means that while the line may look shorter, it's liable to take twice as long as a normal line of that length because they are using only two tapstiles instead of four.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter