"Tarzan" casting: any takers?

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
Disney's Tarzan Musical Aiming for 2005-2006 Broadway Bow

By Andrew Gans
May 12, 2005
Playbill Online

Disney's latest entry into the Broadway scene will most likely be Tarzan, based on the 1999 animated film of the same name.A casting notice says that the production will open on Broadway some time during the 2005-2006 season. Tarzan will join such other Broadway Disney fare as the long-running Beauty and the Beast and the Tony-winning The Lion King.

Tarzan will feature direction and designs by Bob Crowley, choreography by Meryl Tankard and associate direction by Jeff Lee. Phil Collins, who penned the score for the motion picture, has written several additional songs for the stage version, which will boast a book by David Henry Hwang. The casting notice says the Broadway musical is adapted from the Tab Murphy-Bob Tzudiker-Noni White screenplay and the original Edgar Rice Burroughs novel "Tarzan of the Apes."

The casting sessions, which will be held May 24, 25 and 28 at Chelsea studios, are seeking actors to play Tarzan, Jane, Kala, Kerchak, Clayton, Terk, Porter and a child Tarzan. The role of the adult Tarzan is described as follows: "Caught between the world of gorillas and the world of humans, he is a human raised by a family of apes in the African jungle. We must identify with him and care about him and his emotional journey. Charming, sexy, vulnerable, lots of humanity, animal-like. Physically lean but toned, a swimmer’s body — NOT a muscle man. Strong upper body strength, physical, agile, fearless, must be very comfortable with movement. His body must be at one with the environment. Will fly. Needs a terrific pop/rock singing voice."

A Jan. 30, 2004, workshop of the musical featured Daniel Manche as the Child Tarzan and The Light in the Piazza's Matthew Morrison as the Adult Tarzan. Former Rent-er Adam Pascal sang the role of the Tarzan Storyteller. The remainder of the workshop cast included Everett Bradley (ensemble), Laura Bell Bundy (Jane), Will Chase (Clayton), Dwayne Clark (ensemble), Aisha de Haas (ensemble), Chris Fitzgerald (Adult Terk), Kristen Lee Kelly (ensemble), Joshua Kobak (ensemble), Anika Larsen (ensemble), Cass Morgan (Kala), Doug Storm (ensemble), Travis Walters (Child Terk), Alton White (Kerchak) and Paxton Whitehead (Porter).

The 1999 animated Disney film of "Tarzan" featured songs by Phil Collins. Collins, in fact, won an Oscar for the tune "You'll Be In My Heart." The film featured the voices of Tony Goldwyn (Tarzan), Minnie Driver (Jane Porter), Glenn Close (Kala), Brian Blessed (Clayton), Nigel Hawthorne (Porter), Lance Henriksen (Kerchak), Wayne Knight (Tanor), Alex D. Linz (Young Tarzan) and Rosie O'Donnell (Terk).

wow, if they do this anything like the Lion King, it should be great! I hope they keep some of the workshop cast, Adam Pascal is awesome! :)

Curious how this will work, as Phil Collins did almost all of the singing from the point of view of Tarzan? Will Tarzan now sing "Son of Man"?

randytenn said:
Curious how this will work, as Phil Collins did almost all of the singing from the point of view of Tarzan? Will Tarzan now sing "Son of Man"?
I would imagine.

:earsboy:

randytenn said:

I sort of thought this line from the article suggested something different: "Former Rent-er Adam Pascal sang the role of the Tarzan Storyteller."

That, I imagine, would be a narrator, tying together the story the way Phil Collins did in the movie.

This is so cool! My DH will love this!

I wish they'd put Aladdin on Broadway. And Hunchback would be just phenomenal!

The comment about Hunchback is interesting. While the movie wasn't very strong, the WDW stage show was terrific. Maybe there's something to be learned from this.

rocketriter said:
The comment about Hunchback is interesting. While the movie wasn't very strong, the WDW stage show was terrific. Maybe there's something to be learned from this.

There was an acclaimed stage version of Hunchback produced in Germany several years ago. I was hoping it would cross the pond, but it never happened. Stephen Schwartz, the lyricist, has said he believes it's Alan Menken's greatest score. I wouldn't disagree.

randytenn said:

Since there was a storyteller part at the workshop, I would imagine that the storyteller will sing Son of Man, and Phil Collins wrote new material to be sung by the characters.

ETA: I didn't see Greg had already said this. Sorry! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter