Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bummer! Our son was in love with Talking Mickey at 6 months and again last month at 17 months. It just feels special when he sings the hot dog song and your little one is beaming at him. We took him to see him multiple times each trip (with 100% voice success). I'm sad that we won't be able to do this on our next trip or with other kids. :sad1:

He's one of my son's favorite Disney attractions, and obviously super popular given the long wait he always has. Stinks they can't figure out a way to make this work.

We were lucky enough to meet talking Mickey during our trip last November & it was a huge highlight for us.
We went in with low expectations as we were two adults with no kids, but were blown away by how fun we had.
If, as has been noted earlier in this thread, talking Mickey is being removed purely to save money then whoever made the decision should be ashamed of themselves, if they keep cutting & cutting, at some point it will come back & bite them.

The animated heads are very heavy - equivalent to supporting a bowling ball encasing your head. When adults and kids tug on Mickey’s ears, punch his head, or try to knock off his head, neck injuries result for the CM.

The onstage time for the CMs was decreased to lessen the stress on their bodies especially when whoever developed this meet and greet had them spinning like teacups, chugging around the room as a train, and flying around like Peter Pan.

All stage shows now use the lighter weight heads and they are pre-programmed and synced to the dialog. The CM only has to learn choreography. Talking Mickey’s blinks and smiles are controlled by the character performer so consists of a lot more tech.

Still, if any part of this attraction is causing injury -- even potential injury -- to CMs, then it really should be retired. No amount of "but it was our favorite!" is enough to counterbalance people getting hurt.

We did it last year. My husband liked it; I found it strangely distant. As in, the canned responses made it feel like we weren't really talking to Mickey anyhow. I've felt more of a "connection" to characters who didn't speak, but who communicate through gestures.

So the rumor I read on this site is that they might eliminate Talking Mickey in favor of a regular meet and greet with the world famous mouse. The reason would be that some kids express confusion that other Mickeys don't talk.

I hope this rumor is false. This is the best meet and greet in all of WDW, IMHO. It would be a shame to shelve such a unique experience just because of some kids asking questions. This is a very lame reason to eliminate an amazing interactive attraction.

We LOVE the video we took of us chatting with Mickey! If you agree with me, I hope Disboards members will let Disney know that we don't want to lose this great meet and greet!

So the rumor I read on this site is that they might eliminate Talking Mickey in favor of a regular meet and greet with the world famous mouse. The reason would be that some kids express confusion that other Mickeys don't talk.

I hope this rumor is false. This is the best meet and greet in all of WDW, IMHO. It would be a shame to shelve such a unique experience just because of some kids asking questions. This is a very lame reason to eliminate an amazing interactive attraction.

We LOVE the video we took of us chatting with Mickey! If you agree with me, I hope Disboards members will let Disney know that we don't want to lose this great meet and greet!

True, and being discussed here: Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

IMO, once it is announced, it is a done deal.

Very chintzy, penny pinching decision on Disney's part. Why? Because this is a magical and unique experience that you can't get anywhere else in the world. Isn't that why people come to WDW from all over the world?

Welp...
Based on the info here, I will definitely NOT be modifying fast passes to see him next month...lol

I would recommend getting a FP for it. It may not work all the time, but it's true Disney magic. I wish I could do it one more time before the experience goes away.

Can we see Talking Mickey at DL?

I don't know if it's exactly the same technology, but we saw a Talking Mickey as part of the Red Car Trolley News Boys show at Disney's California Adventure. I don't know if that show is still offered now, but it was still there on our last trip in 2015. He doesn't interact with guests but he does talk as part of the show.

Very chintzy, penny pinching decision on Disney's part. Why? Because this is a magical and unique experience that you can't get anywhere else in the world. Isn't that why people come to WDW from all over the world?

Read above for safety concerns.

Reactions: TAK
I apologize if this in here, but is there a link to the article stating this, or where is this information from?
?

Still, if any part of this attraction is causing injury -- even potential injury -- to CMs, then it really should be retired. No amount of "but it was our favorite!" is enough to counterbalance people getting hurt.

I don't disagree. But if this is a beloved attraction, one would think Disney would figure out a way to keep it through re-engineering or bring it back once they are able to address the safety concerns and still provide the quality of discourse they have/had.

On a personal note, I'm a bit torn. Being an adult, I thought it was cheesy (no pun intended) mainly because the convo was never fluent thanks to the pre-programming. For that reason, I don't have any heartache over it going away. OTOH, a (young) child doesn't pick up on these things and I've witnessed many children (my own included) have a total blast talking with Mickey. So on that note, yea... a bummer.

I apologize if this in here, but is there a link to the article stating this, or where is this information from?
?
It’s everywhere. All blogs have tweeted out this info and Kenny the Pirate has an article that is very accurate.

This thread by @rteetz is based on confirmed info and I believe this thread originated well before other sites posted their info.

This is absolutely ridiculous and unfortunate. If this is a cost savings measure then Disney should come out and say it. I know this would never happen. If it’s not cost saving then who are these idiots that are confused by talking Mickey?

This is absolutely ridiculous and unfortunate. If this is a cost savings measure then Disney should come out and say it. I know this would never happen. If it’s not cost saving then who are these idiots that are confused by talking Mickey?
Disney would never admit to cuts. They are justifying the cut but saying guests are confused though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!