Talk to me about Typhoon Lagoon in December...

DisneyParkLover

DIS Veteran
We are going to "the World" the second week of December. We originally had no plans to do a water park, but my four year old is OBSESSED with water parks. He was heartbroken when our local one closed for the year. So I started looking into Disney water parks and it would only cost about $50 (for the family) to add to our park hoppers. So I'm not concerned about the cost. My questions are:
1) Is it worth it? Not from a money standpoint, but more in the time that would be taken away from other parks (8 day trip).
2) Is there much that a 4 year old (43 inches) can do? He is very brave and not afraid of big slides, but he is not a strong swimmer, so he would need things where someone could go with him or wait near the bottom.
3) Is it too cold for a 4 year old? Would he be so cold that it wouldn't be enjoyable?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
1) Is it worth it? Not from a money standpoint, but more in the time that would be taken away from other parks (8 day trip). In my opinion, yes, the water parks are worth it. We absolutely love them. With an 8 day trip, you should definitely have time, even if it's only a half day (which would allow you to do a lot).

2) Is there much that a 4 year old (43 inches) can do? He is very brace and not afraid of big slides, but he is not a strong swimmer, so he would need things where someone could go with him or wait near the bottom. Yes, there is plenty. TL has a few areas that are meant for younger children, so he'd have a blast in those areas. There's also the lazy river and the wave pool. Since he's not a strong swimmer, I'd keep him in the shallow end of the wave pool, as the waves are HUGE if you go out deep. But he'd probably really enjoy the shallow end. You could also do Miss Adventure Falls, the new family tube ride.

3) Is it too cold for a 4 year old? Would he be so cold that it wouldn't be enjoyable? Well, in December that'll completely depend on the weather that day. For me, yes, it'd be too cold. But for a 4 year old, if you get a nice warm day, maybe not. The water isn't particularly cold, but air temps might be.

I imagine your son would think it’s a little more “worth it” than you. (But it does give you an excuse to eat fresh mini-donuts )

My boys prefer spending their time in the lazy river and the wave pool.

They do have life vests, a life guard would prevent an adult standing at the bottom of a bigger slide.
Most of the slides are tube based. (Unfortunately, the 2 big slides are multi person, but have height requirements)

December weather can vary wildly from highs of 50 to highs in the 80’s

If it’s 75+ sunny, I’m sure he will be fine, but you might as well wait to upgrade the tickets until you go to the park.

We are going to "the World" the second week of December. We originally had no plans to do a water park, but my four year old is OBSESSED with water parks. He was heartbroken when our local one closed for the year. So I started looking into Disney water parks and it would only cost about $50 (for the family) to add to our park hoppers. So I'm not concerned about the cost. My questions are:
1) Is it worth it? Not from a money standpoint, but more in the time that would be taken away from other parks (8 day trip).
2) Is there much that a 4 year old (43 inches) can do? He is very brave and not afraid of big slides, but he is not a strong swimmer, so he would need things where someone could go with him or wait near the bottom.
3) Is it too cold for a 4 year old? Would he be so cold that it wouldn't be enjoyable?

Thanks in advance!!

It can be worth it. I would wait until you are actually on property and know what the weather is like before purchasing the WP&M option. We have seen weather in December that you would not want to get anywhere near a water park (30's in the evening and high's around 45).

Are you staying on site? Depending on your resort, he may enjoy the main pool there just as much.

I imagine your son would think it’s a little more “worth it” than you. (But it does give you an excuse to eat fresh mini-donuts )

My boys prefer spending their time in the lazy river and the wave pool.

They do have life vests, a life guard would prevent an adult standing at the bottom of a bigger slide.
Most of the slides are tube based. (Unfortunately, the 2 big slides are multi person, but have height requirements)

December weather can vary wildly from highs of 50 to highs in the 80’s

If it’s 75+ sunny, I’m sure he will be fine, but you might as well wait to upgrade the tickets until you go to the park.

It can be worth it. I would wait until you are actually on property and know what the weather is like before purchasing the WP&M option. We have seen weather in December that you would not want to get anywhere near a water park (30's in the evening and high's around 45).

Are you staying on site? Depending on your resort, he may enjoy the main pool there just as much.

How do you add the WP&M option once you are there?

We are staying on site, but at All Stars, so not particularly exciting pool. He would prefer the slides and lazy river!

How do you add the WP&M option once you are there?

We are staying on site, but at All Stars, so not particularly exciting pool. He would prefer the slides and lazy river!

You can do this at any Guest Services location or ticket window.

We have been going to the water parks since our first visit in 1995. Obviously worth it to us! When our grandchildten started coming along, they all proved to be waterbabies, and after numerous trips, there is no way we could get away without going to whichever water park is open.

You may or may not get a suitable day in December. Play it by ear. If you are going to have 4-5 hours of temperatures where your family would be comfortable in water and wet suits, it is a great way to take a break from the parks and still have a well-themed blast. Mini donuts and a sandpail sundae are right up there on our list, too.

This Nov, surfing lessons are on the agenda for our guys! Can't wait.

There are times when Dec will have swimming weather. like others said - wait to upgrade until you get there.

My niece is 3.5 and LOVED the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon - we stayed there for ages. Miss Adventure Falls is also fun for brave little ones. And Ketch a Kiddee Creek was adorable.

After many trips to WDW, we just did a water park on our most recent trip for the first time. Our kids, DD15 and DS9 said they never want to do Disney without a water park again, they loved Typhoon Lagoon so much. Granted, that was in June. I've already purchased the Water Parks and More option for our end of November trip because we know we will also utilize the mini golf that is included a few times (since it's just a walk to the Fantasia course from the Dolphin). We have a 9 day (plus travel days trip) so we worked in about 4 different half-days this trip where we can do TL depending on the weather/temperature. If you do decide to go, consider an Uber ride each way, especially the return. I've read that bus transportation to the water parks can be inconvenient. And it's not too fun to sit on a bus in your somewhat still wet suits for an extended period of time. The wave pool is like no other water park's wave pool. My family enjoyed that, and the lazy river, more than the slides (and there are no lines for these).

We have been in December several times. We have had days when we were in coats and gloves and still freezing in the parks and we have had days where we were in shorts day and night and fine-- we have had both in the same week too! I would not spend the money until you get there and see what the weather is like- the weather changes fast down there. It is very unpredictable that time of year- we have seen highs of 50 degrees and highs of 85 degrees. We had one week where we were in shorts and short sleeved shirts and people that were leaving as we arrived were talking about how miserably cold it had been the week before and that they had to wear coats and buy Disney gloves. We had one time where the day before our trip the Orlando local weather predicted it would be in the low 70s all week, and 48 hours later a heat wave hit and it was in the 80s the rest of our trip. I would not make him any promises before the trip, or even mention it until you are there and are sure the weather will be right. You wouldn't want to disappoint him if you don't wind up with water park weather. We never get around to going to the water parks- we never want to give up the park time- but if he loves water parks that much, it might be worth it for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter