Sunscreen question...

Kristi.M

Earning My Ears
Our family trip to WDW is in 28 days. I've visited many times but this will be my first as a mom. Our youngest is going to be 4 on our trip, and as the mom it seems that on EVERY trip I end up carrying everything. So, I have read many threads about what to travel to the parks with and I just have one last question. What do you think is the best option for sunscreen? There are three of us traveling (DF, DD, and myself).

I was wondering specifically about the sunscreen wipes (I've never actually used these) vs travel size bottles or sprays. We are all pretty fair skinned...and I just want to figure out what will be best for protection while carrying as little as possible around the parks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Oh wow...I've honestly never seen these. Does it last long for you? I like this option!

Oh wow...I've honestly never seen these. Does it last long for you? I like this option!
We have one that I have used to sunscreen my three boys and it has lasted through multiple applications. I would think for a family of 4 applying 3 times a day that you would get at least 2 days from each stick.

My wife and I use a mineral-based sunscreen (Banana Boat baby - I'm allergic to the chemical blockers, and its easier to only pack one). My wife is very very fair skinned, and we've found that even in the hottest of weather, as long as she's not swimming or wiping her face a lot, that it only requires one application a day (in the morning, before we leave the room). We have spent spans of a week and of 10 days, basically commando-touring style (out all day), and she's come home just as pale as she left. If you're concerned about the sun, it could be a good option for you as well.

Myself,DH and our 4 kids have gone in June and we would apply before leaving for the parks and it would last us all day. Never reapplied. No sun burns here :)

I live here about 80 miles west of WDW and let me tell you, the folks who are saying they only apply sunscreen once a day are EXTREMELY fortunate to not have suffered any burn.
You should be applying it no less than 2 x's a day here. And you should be using a high SPF like 50. One of the worst sunburns I ever received here after 21 years was one that happened after 4 pm so once a day won't cut it.
Local news here said they did a test on over 20 brands to check to see if their SPF was true to the number. Coppertone, Equate (Walmart brand) and Banana Boat made the cut but most of the others did not.
The sun here is nothing to fool around with nor is it something you should take lightly. Worst case scenario - rent a locker and store stuff in it you don't want to carry around all day and schedule a trip at least once through the day back to it.
Lack of sunscreen and water are what most visitors get in trouble with.

I have a 3 oz bottle that I refill whenever we go back to the resort. Now that is just for me. And I also carry a stick to cover my hair part and the back of my ears. No way could I go all day with one application, I would be bright red. I would just carry a bottle with you, to be honest.

Are you planning on having a stroller for your 4 year old? Just toss your bag on sunscreen and other stuff on the bottom.

Speaking as someone who had multiple sunburns as a child because my mom didn't think to reapply; please reapply a few times. It won't hurt and if you don't and you do get a sunburn that is far worse then having carried extra sunscreen around the park all day. And I get the pain, I'm going with DD 4 and I'm pregnant and I will be carrying it all (well when we park the stroller)... still that is not an item I'd consider reducing. Now I do agree you don't have to reapply as if you are at the beach but ever 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Use a 3 oz refillable bottle and a stick for the face (we did the Jacksonville zoo yesterday and DD was sweating so much the sunscreen- Neutrogena for the face - got in her eyes because she was sweating it off... That was as unpleasant as a burn except no long lasting ruin the vacation effects and we just bought her the sweat proof one for kids...

But the annual derm appointment because of multiple blistering burns after my mom applied one coat in the morning and thought that was enough and not sleeping for days on end because of the burn ruined many a vacation and has made me parinoid.

Thank you SO much for the suggestions. We will definitely be reapplying...sunburns are so painful and really would hate to put my kids through that. I remember my brother getting it in his eyes on a trip to Epcot one year and it was so bad that we actually ended up leaving Epcot early in the afternoon. I want to use what's best for the kids and make sure they're protected well.

I'm running errands today to pick up the last few things for our trip and I'll be looking for these options! The last thing I want to do is ruin a vacation when it can be completely avoided...

ETA: Yes! We are bringing a stroller...so I'm going to worry less about the amount of things and more about making sure no one gets burnt. It seems like based on what you've all said, we will need it throughout the day and I'd rather be safe than sorry!

We do a coat of Blue Lizard in the morning and zinc oxide on our cheeks and noses before we leave in the morning. Then we will use a stick (spf 70) to touch up our faced during the day and a spray for our bodies. I try to do the spray away from crowds when possible.
We also wear hats. DD1 and I are very fair.

We apply before we leave the room.
We used sunscreen wipes midday in the park. They work great! I have always ordered them from Amazon.
I find as much as we are inside/in shade, we don't burn (and DD is pearly white!)
This year I got Running Buddies for everyone (basically a wallet that magnetically folds over your waistband. Just enough space for phone, ID, credit card & sunscreen wipe. Toss chapstick in one pocket, tiny pill bottle in another & we are good to go!

I get a little travel bottle from the travel section at Target or Walmart and fill it with our usual sunscreen lotion. It's pretty small and holds maybe 3oz or less but it's enough to last us a week or so trip.

Our first trip, my husband insisted only on spray sunscreen. The wind blew it right into my then 7 year old's eyes, and he was screaming in pain. I tried to wash his eyes in the rest room, nothing helped. I felt horrible, and was angry at my husband, and a little at my son because I thought he was over exaggerating (which, I later apologized for, when the same thing happened to me) and we were all grouchy because of that we missed the opening welcome which we've never gotten to see again, and got separated...a disaster. But we just went ahead and he started feeling better after an hour or so, but I stopped by the baby care center and bought a lotion sunscreen. Now when we go, its spray for the legs, but lotion everywhere else. My husband just sprays himself all over. I use the lotion, too, and on my youngest as well.

I'm like you, I carry it all. I get a backpack, making sure if fits my back well, and just go. I don't mind carrying the sunscreen, and other stuff we need, because at least I know it's there!

Local news here said they did a test on over 20 brands to check to see if their SPF was true to the number. Coppertone, Equate (Walmart brand) and Banana Boat made the cut but most of the others did not.
We use Equate Sport SPF 45 or 50 can't remember which one level as a general thing. Works well....when we reapply that is. We buy the bigger bottle but I'm planning on using one of my travel bottles that you get in a kit that's TSA approved and putting sunscreen in there to carry around the parks. It's less expensive than buying the smaller sunscreen bottles.

In-laws like the spray version but I find it's a waste of $ since I don't seem to get much usage out of it. YMMV.

OP I haven't checked out the kids versions (if you're wanting that) but you may consider doing that. I would go to the store and see what options they have. I must say I personally hadn't heard of the deodorant kind but if the ratings were good that might not be a bad option for you.

Back in the days that we had a stroller with us @ WDW (or really, any amusement park) I always had 2 bags - one with stuff that could just stay in the stroller when we were away from it - typically a waterproof type bag and it would have the sunblock, diapers,wipes, change of clothes for the baby, light snacks etc. Then the bag I would carry with me when we were away from the stroller was much smaller and really only held our camera, phone, $. Just a suggestion :)

I finished most of my shopping and I ended up buying a smaller bag that I will carry and then like many of you have suggested, another bag that I don't mind leaving in the stroller, and a refillable travel bottle. I'm not going to use the spray (I just don't feel as confident in it with the way we will be using it). I'm bringing a lotion and the sunblock stick (both are SPF 50 and 70). I figure the stick will be best for our hair parts and reapplying on our faces...sounds easiest for reapplying on the younger ones.

Thank you so much! I feel like I was able to make a much better decision based on everyone's personal experiences and feedback! Only 25 days to go (and feeling a lot less panicked because of this forum)!!

I live here about 80 miles west of WDW and let me tell you, the folks who are saying they only apply sunscreen once a day are EXTREMELY fortunate to not have suffered any burn.
You should be applying it no less than 2 x's a day here. And you should be using a high SPF like 50. One of the worst sunburns I ever received here after 21 years was one that happened after 4 pm so once a day won't cut it.
The sun here is nothing to fool around with nor is it something you should take lightly. Worst case scenario - rent a locker and store stuff in it you don't want to carry around all day and schedule a trip at least once through the day back to it.
Lack of sunscreen and water are what most visitors get in trouble with.

Sunscreen needs can also be a matter of ethnic origins. I can go out all day at Disney without sunscreen, as can my husband, and I will not burn. We do apply it in the morning at least because we don't want to up our risk of skin cancer, but it has nothing to do with burning.

We are Irish and pale as can be...so we all tend to burn before we end up looking tan. I've had a few terrible burns and REALLY want to avoid that on this trip. I want to do anything we can to have the smoothest vacation possible! Nothing worse than having something 100% avoidable slow us down :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter