Summer Guest Attendance Down? CM Hours Cut

I know nothing about staffing. I don't know if this is a "low crowd" time staffing thing or an everyday thing since my last 5 visits have been at the same time of year, but it drove me crazy last 2 years in late August early September. I wanted to enjoy walk on rides in the opening hour at MK but it seemed to me that some of the rides were not fully staffed in the opening hours. Only one side of POC was running, (in 2015) only one side for BTMR, loading every other boat Splash, very slow at Jungle Cruise. Of course, the lines were not actually long but the wait was caused strictly by the lack of staff and that was why I found it annoying. Waiting my turn because others arrived before me doesn't bother me, waiting because the staff isn't in place irritates me.

We see this all the time at non-Disney parks in PA, and just accept it. When you know what to look for, it's easy to notice when an extra employee or two could load/unload a ride faster. But is is annoying.

We see this all the time at non-Disney parks in PA, and just accept it. When you know what to look for, it's easy to notice when an extra employee or two could load/unload a ride faster. But is is annoying.

You're right of course. There is no point in letting myself be irritated.

I've noticed this in the Disney Parks and even at Universal(MIB they will close one side down at closing but most of the time its still only a 5 minute wait. However at Disneyworld when they only open one side of Primeval Whirl or at Disneyland when they do that to Matterhorn when the park is open the first hour or so it does irk me, because it makes the wait much longer.

I know nothing about staffing. I don't know if this is a "low crowd" time staffing thing or an everyday thing since my last 5 visits have been at the same time of year, but it drove me crazy last 2 years in late August early September. I wanted to enjoy walk on rides in the opening hour at MK but it seemed to me that some of the rides were not fully staffed in the opening hours. Only one side of POC was running, (in 2015) only one side for BTMR, loading every other boat Splash, very slow at Jungle Cruise. Of course, the lines were not actually long but the wait was caused strictly by the lack of staff and that was why I found it annoying. Waiting my turn because others arrived before me doesn't bother me, waiting because the staff isn't in place irritates me.

You're right of course. There is no point in letting myself be irritated.

I've noticed this in the Disney Parks and even at Universal(MIB they will close one side down at closing but most of the time its still only a 5 minute wait. However at Disneyworld when they only open one side of Primeval Whirl or at Disneyland when they do that to Matterhorn when the park is open the first hour or so it does irk me, because it makes the wait much longer.
I've said for years that sometimes going when it's less crowded doesn't always mean shorter waits. For just this reason. While yes, you have less people around and in the parks you may not have shorter waits because they staff differently. They run the rides for lower capacity and that can often equate to longer waits. Going when it's more crowded can actually end up with shorter waits or at least not longer waits because they are ready to move more bodies through the rides.

Last edited:
I am hopeful that NOBODY ELSE is going next week and we will have the parks all to ourselves ;)

As long as we aren't shoulder to shoulder (cuz, ewwww...August/humid/stranger sweat...), it's all good!

I've said for years that sometimes going when it's less crowded means longer waits. For just this reason. While yes, you have less people around and in the parks you may not have shorter waits because they staff differently. They run the rides for lower capacity and that can often equate to longer waits. Going when it's more crowded can actually end up with shorter waits or at least not longer waits because they are ready to move more bodies through the rides.

Hmmm, I don't know. I've seen shorter waits when its not as crowded, but what I was meaning was that in the morning or at night the lines could be shorter if they didn't close down lines of rides that have dual lines or removed vehicles(if several can run at time) out of operation while the park is still open.

Edit to add. At the 6 Flags parks I have definitely seen this, during the slow season the waits are just as long because they cut staff and vehicles in operation. This must be standard protocol for them, just seeing it creep into Disney and Universal isn't cool.

I suspect crowds are lower--but it won't feel lower to the paying guest because of the extreme cuts in Disney Park hours. No evening hours at Hollywood Studios, Pandora is the only park of AK open, and MK has the shortest hours we have ever seen of anytime we've visited Disney prior. All trip reports, especially for MK are confirming it "feels" like its busier than Christmas week..

Hmmm, I don't know. I've seen shorter waits when its not as crowded, but what I was meaning was that in the morning or at night the lines could be shorter if they didn't close down lines of rides that have dual lines or removed vehicles(if several can run at time) out of operation while the park is still open.

Edit to add. At the 6 Flags parks I have definitely seen this, during the slow season the waits are just as long because they cut staff and vehicles in operation. This must be standard protocol for them, just seeing it creep into Disney and Universal isn't cool.
I sort of stated myself wrong. Instead of saying it means longer waits when it is less crowded due to staffing I should have said that just because it's lower crowds it won't mean shorter waits. I stated my point badly. And I did at least say "sometimes" so it's not always the case. Sometimes you do get shorter waits but it's not the case 100% of time. That's all I was attempting to say, and have said for years.

And this just solved why Disney cut back the hours. People don't go in high enough numbers to make it worthwhile to keep the park open. I would guess more people needed to go to show Disney they needed the later hours. But of course, that would counter the reason most here loved those late hours.

For what it's worth, we did go late. We are late night people way before we are early morning people. We have sure not gotten bent out of shape about the change in hours nor have we found we get less done. Sure we now start early, we adjust our schedules to fit the park hours. No biggie.

Yes, and thats really not a huge issue if you know in advance and plan for it. But unless you know in excess of 6 months when you start making plans, its not easy if downright impossible to change things. And I've personally seen Disney change the hours after the 6 month mark a number of times so its not like anyone can say that we knew in advance that Disney would do this.

Funny, Universal seems to do just fine closing at 9:00 or 10:00, or even earlier most nights. How is it so awful for Disney to? I guess I don't get it.

Haven't you learned by now that EVERYTHING Disney changes or cuts is due to budget cuts and low attendance. They are always trying to stick it to the guest any more. At least that's how it seems if you read half the posts here.
I love Disney--but there is a reason we have always chosen Disney over Universal and more to do and longer hours were always key to that equation.

Yes, and thats really not a huge issue if you know in advance and plan for it. But unless you know in excess of 6 months when you start making plans, its not easy if downright impossible to change things. And I've personally seen Disney change the hours after the 6 month mark a number of times so its not like anyone can say that we knew in advance that Disney would do this.
Yes, they are making park hour changes with less and less notice, there is no doubt about that. And it can make it harder to plan, for those that love to plan well in advance. But, it's never fewer hours. It's always an increase in hours. Disney doesn't reduce their hours when they make changes after they first publish their park hours.

At the 6 Flags parks I have definitely seen this, during the slow season the waits are just as long because they cut staff and vehicles in operation. This must be standard protocol for them, just seeing it creep into Disney and Universal isn't cool.

This is sort of my thinking as well. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of flying across the country to go to a six flags. Disney is supposed to be different, and that is why my family, and many others, save up for a long time and dream of the day we get to do fly across the country to go to Disney World.

Also I wouldn't even want to spend a week or two weeks or more at six flags-my head hurts just thinking of it and I enjoy all theme parks. If Disney moves toward a model that creates that type of park going experience 3 days would be my limit. I cant imagine I'm the only one to feel that way.

I think that they should think long and hard about long term financial implications of business practices (as opposed to short term savings) that makes people to not want to travel long distances or do long stay for the park going experience they will get at Disney. Once people start going elsewhere it might be hard to get those customers back.

This is sort of my thinking as well. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of flying across the country to go to a six flags. Disney is supposed to be different, and that is why my family, and many others, save up for a long time and dream of the day we get to do fly across the country to go to Disney World.

Also I wouldn't even want to spend a week or two weeks or more at six flags-my head hurts just thinking of it and I enjoy all theme parks. If Disney moves toward a model that creates that type of park going experience 3 days would be my limit. I cant imagine I'm the only one to feel that way.

I think that they should think long and hard about long term financial implications of business practices (as opposed to short term savings) that makes people to not want to travel long distances or do long stay for the park going experience they will get at Disney. Once people start going elsewhere it might be hard to get those customers back.
Is it just park hours that bring you, and others, to Disney? Or even how many rides you do in a day? I know for us Disney is so much more than rides. Rides are a small part of the whole package. 6 Flags doesn't even begin to provide a small part of that package. They do just provide rides. Which is why it's not a vacation destination.

Seems like the current economic climate is to let folks go then work the remaining crew to death.

Last month our department had 22 people, 3 resigned and their positions were not filled, another 2 were laid off, leaving 17 of us. Corporate told us it was due to "lack of work". As a result, I've had exactly 3 days off since June 4. I MAY get this weekend off if all goes well. My last 2 pays have had nearly 80 hours of overtime on them. It's crazy. On top of that, we have been told to get everything in by July 31 as an additional client comes aboard Aug 1 and we need to focus there for 2 weeks or so.

Sounds like Disney is doing the same. July and August seems to be "slow" er seasons now. To meet budget goals, any cuts will come now. Parks will jam up again with free dining, Food and Wine, Halloween, fall break, jersey week, and the holidays all on the horizon.

I've NEVER been to Disney and thought they were lacking in transportation or short on CM's in shops or at rides. If hours are being cut, you won't notice it.

As far as the second FP point, that's been mainly gone for about a year or more now. You scan at the first but then the second one is either gone or covered. Guess they feel it's just not needed.

And as far as crowds, hopefully for you crowds are low. I go a few days about every 1.5 months and for at least the past 2 years I've never seen any park where I'd consider it low crowds. It's been years since I've been in a park and thought "wow all these rides are low waits. Where's all the crowds?" Disney isn't hurting for attendance from what I've experienced.

As far as the hours being cut, many of us will notice it. Last August, MK closed mainly at midnight every night even 1:00 AM on a couple of nights. This year, the posted August hours are 10:00 PM daily, and even 9:00 PM on a couple of nights. I hit the parks late, particularly in the summer when it is hot. The early closings at MK are a joke!

I always thought summer was a great time to visit WDW crowd wise. If you can stand the heat, the wait times for rides are low.

Is it just park hours that bring you, and others, to Disney? Or even how many rides you do in a day? I know for us Disney is so much more than rides. Rides are a small part of the whole package. 6 Flags doesn't even begin to provide a small part of that package. They do just provide rides. Which is why it's not a vacation destination.

This. Our visits are not about getting on every single ride. Running from ride to ride just to get on it would not be fun for us. We never have a touring plan. We do our FP in advance and have a few ADRs but its all about the total experience for us. The sights, sounds, smells. At rope drop, we take a leisurely walk down Main Street instead of rushing to a ride. We stop and smell the roses on our trips and have found that without setting an expectation that we must do any particular ride or experience that we have never had a disappointing day there in the 30+ years that we have gone.

Edit to also add: Hollywood Studios wasn't that crowded, except at Fantasmic (Where did all those people come from), Epcot wasn't congested except at Spaceship Earth in the first hour or so, Animal Kingdom wasn't too bad. Magic Kingdom was the one that felt crowded.

We also just came back from a trip (5 days in the parks) and felt the same. We personally didn't find HS, AK, or Epcot crowded at all. Magic Kingdom did feel crowded, though. I was able to get 4th and 5th FastPasses that day to help with our touring. Getting out of the park at the end of the night was very, very busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter