I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk
Hotel New York Sunday 21 July - Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Cast
Me - Julie (38)
DH - John (42)
DD - Abbey (16)
DS - Lewis (8, nearly 9)

Pre-trippie

I'll start by explaining for those of you who haven't read my PTR that for the week before our trip I had really bad toothache :sad2: My dentist said it was an infected gum but after almost 3 full days of penicillin, and the pain getting worse, I had the tooth taken out. This was the Friday before our trip. I initially had 2 pain free blissful hours until the anaesthetic wore off and experienced the worst pain I've ever had in my life. I even said to DH that I didn't think I'd be able to go on holiday :eek: After 2 days of extreme pain killers, various frozen items on my face and trying to sleep as much as I could, I felt well enough to start packing cases and getting organised. So, on with the story...

Sunday 21 July

I was up very early due to not being able to sleep, and got everything we needed sorted out. It was a lovely morning and we left home at 12 noon. It was about an hours drive to Glasgow Prestwick airport. We hung about a bit and had a packed lunch I'd brought with us. Abbey had a Starbucks:

It's a nice wee airport, not much to do, but very efficient. Flight was called, we boarded and were off on time, 15:35. Flight was uneventful but very busy.

I enjoyed an hour or so of doing nothing and played Angry Birds with Lewis and had fun with his Lego figures.

Superman really does fly!

We landed earlier than scheduled, about 20 minutes and were through security and bag pick up very quickly. As if by magic Ezy-shuttle were waiting for us and we were loaded into a very nicely air conditioned people carrier. We had a good journey and the hour and 20 minutes flew by. First class again from Ezy-shuttle :thumbsup2

As we drove I started to get excited when I saw the signs for Disney and felt overjoyed when the Hotel New York was finally in sight. I never thought I'd make it :) As we pulled up outside and got out of the car, the hotel bell boy was at our side and unloaded our bags onto a trolley and handed me a ticket. He asked my surname and said he'd have our bags delivered to our room.

Check in was quick and easy. I'd booked through the French site of Voyage Prive and all my documentation was in French. The CM asked me if I spoke French and when I said no, I could see him looking at me as if he was wondering how I had French confirmation ;) He gave us our breakfast slots, 9:30 for each day. He said that the park was open at 8am, and I said I knew, but that we'd go to the park first and then come back for breakfast, to which he had a wee laugh :lmao: Our room was in Midtown, and I had hoped for a nice view of the castle as we'd had before. Alas it was not to be. The room was lovely though.

Our view :rotfl2:

After a couple of minutes in the room the bell boy was there with our bags. Great service :thumbsup2

We dumped our stuff and headed downstairs to go for something to eat at the Parkside. I said to DH it was a shame we wouldn't get a nice view this time, but not overly bothered. As I had a quick browse in the gift shop, DH disappeared and came back with a smile on his face. He'd gone to reception and asked for a 'room with a view'. So we went back upstairs, got our stuff and moved, this time to Gramercy Park, 2104. Turns out that this was a Lake Side view, with dual aspect windows. I've never had that before! To be honest the view wasn't fantastic, and if I'd paid a lot more for this I'd be a bit disappointed. But, it was nice to look out over the lake in the morning and see Panoramagique.

By now we were hungry and wandered over to the Parkside Diner to enjoy the buffet. The food was good as it has been every time, with a good selection. I was stuffed after my mains but managed to squeeze in some almond and honey cake - yum

I look a bit like a zombie in this pic, and to be honest that's how I felt too - I didn't really know what was going on :confused:

Outside HNY

Then we were off to the park :cool1: The new bag check, just beside the HNY is a great idea. Once through, you can go between the village and both parks without being checked again. Saves so much time. Just wandering through the Village, I was happy :) And then we were there!

Abbey wanted to try for BTM first, so we headed off through Liberty Arcade. There were no FP left and we didn't want to waste time waiting tonight so went to do Phantom Manor instead which was a walk on.

This was good but no ghosts head in the mirror sequence again. Quick toilet stop after PM. It was still very warm :cool2:

Then we were off to Pirates, another walk on. We wandered over to Main St to get a spot for Dreams. It was sooooo busy! The whole area around the hub was filled with people sitting down. We sat down too for a while, but then Lewis wasn't feeling well so we decided to leave. He went to the toilet in Liberty Arcade and when he came out Dreams was just starting. We stood further down Main St and watched what we could.

I loved the new Lion King and Brave sequences (though did miss Jungle Book and Mary Poppins) and was just blown away with it again. I decided there and then that we'd get a better spot tomorrow night.

As we were quite far down Main St, we were quick getting out. DH went on ahead with DS back to the hotel and Abbey and I strolled through the Village. We popped into the toy shop that does the build your own light saber as we knew that Lewis was keen to do this. The shops were really quiet. Then we were back at the hotel and in bed for about midnight. EMH tomorrow?

Looks like he had a great time pity about the darn toothache . Toothaches truly do make you feel miserable.

Great start. I really want to stay at the HNY next time I go. I was going to book the Voyage privie deal but my group of friends who I normally go with couldn't do it this year. Next year is the plan.

Thanks for reading along folks :thumbsup2

Great start. I really want to stay at the HNY next time I go. I was going to book the Voyage privie deal but my group of friends who I normally go with couldn't do it this year. Next year is the plan.

The whole process of booking with them was so easy - I'll definitely do it again, with such a fantastic discount. Hope you get something sorted for next year :)

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your first day. Never been to Parkside Diner but heard lots of good things about it.:goodvibes

So sorry to hear how much pain you were in with your teeth; but glad you managed to make it to Mickey!

Off to read the next instalment!:cool1:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your first day. Never been to Parkside Diner but heard lots of good things about it.:goodvibes

So sorry to hear how much pain you were in with your teeth; but glad you managed to make it to Mickey!

Off to read the next instalment!:cool1:

The Parkside is just so handy and often quiet too, so it's a quick meal but a really tasty one :thumbsup2

Great 1st day Julie, bar that toothache :upsidedow
Lewis has grown so much since your last TR! Heading over to day 2 now :)

kizzabel said:
Great 1st day Julie, bar that toothache :upsidedow
Lewis has grown so much since your last TR! Heading over to day 2 now :)

Thanks, yes Lewis seems to be growing every day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter