Summer 2017 Australia bound! Trip report!

I know this has sort of been covered before so sorry! But is it true that checked bags can only be 55 linear inches? I saw that on the website but don't see it in my ABD travel book. I only see the 44 lbs. weight there. I think I am covered but having a last minute panic. (I also put in a call to my travel agent so I will post what she says, too!).

I know this has sort of been covered before so sorry! But is it true that checked bags can only be 55 linear inches? I saw that on the website but don't see it in my ABD travel book. I only see the 44 lbs. weight there. I think I am covered but having a last minute panic. (I also put in a call to my travel agent so I will post what she says, too!).

I had this same question. Below is an excerpt from an email we received from Disney on November 4th (for December 20 trip), but the booklet doesn't reference dimensions. We did err on the safe side and bought new luggage as our previous was ~ 58".
----------
Luggage
Please limit your baggage to one (1) piece of checked baggage per person plus one (1) carry-on per person and one (1) small carry-on (i.e. purse) per person, due to internal flights within Australia. Checked baggage should weigh no more than 44 pounds/20 kilograms. Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of baggage, and the total dimension of any one piece must not exceed 55 linear inches. Guests will be charged additional fees at the airport for overweight baggage (in addition to your air carrier's fees). Carry-on baggage and one small carry-on item (i.e. purse) should weigh no more than 15 pounds/7 kilograms for both. The carry-on baggage must not exceed 22”x14”x9” and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat.

I had this same question. Below is an excerpt from an email we received from Disney on November 4th (for December 20 trip), but the booklet doesn't reference dimensions. We did err on the safe side and bought new luggage as our previous was ~ 58".
----------
Luggage
Please limit your baggage to one (1) piece of checked baggage per person plus one (1) carry-on per person and one (1) small carry-on (i.e. purse) per person, due to internal flights within Australia. Checked baggage should weigh no more than 44 pounds/20 kilograms. Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of baggage, and the total dimension of any one piece must not exceed 55 linear inches. Guests will be charged additional fees at the airport for overweight baggage (in addition to your air carrier's fees). Carry-on baggage and one small carry-on item (i.e. purse) should weigh no more than 15 pounds/7 kilograms for both. The carry-on baggage must not exceed 22”x14”x9” and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat.
I checked with my travel agent and she confirmed the 55 linear inches so we have awesome new bags, too! She did say she was not sure what would happen if they were bigger (implying ABD magic might take care of it) but I did not want to take any chances. Grifdog already said people were being charged for extra weight. I have never heard of that on ABD before so that scared me enough to get new bags.

Our new bags are actually really great and I was able to fit everything but a couple of pairs of shoes. I usually just take my tote sized purse as a carry on so I just plan to do some extra packing in a larger carry on (that's 45") but I think it's actually nice that I am not lugging my giant bag!

----------
Luggage

During our trip it was hit or miss. Unfortunately, we ended up constantly getting charged. For checked baggage it was $15/kg over. The first leg, we figured we would check an extra bag and pay for one bag extra. The cost was by the pound, not a flat rate for an extra checked bag (this was JetStar). Second flight, was on Quanta, and they charged $50 for the extra bag (no problem, expected it). On the third flight, we had our checked bags set, but went over on carry on and got charged for checking an extra bag on JetStar again (could have been worse, they could have charged us by the pound). Remember, for 2 carry-ons it is 15 lbs combined. It doesn't take alot to get a backpack to 7 lbs.

During our trip it was hit or miss. Unfortunately, we ended up constantly getting charged. For checked baggage it was $15/kg over. The first leg, we figured we would check an extra bag and pay for one bag extra. The cost was by the pound, not a flat rate for an extra checked bag (this was JetStar). Second flight, was on Quanta, and they charged $50 for the extra bag (no problem, expected it). On the third flight, we had our checked bags set, but went over on carry on and got charged for checking an extra bag on JetStar again (could have been worse, they could have charged us by the pound). Remember, for 2 carry-ons it is 15 lbs combined. It doesn't take alot to get a backpack to 7 lbs.
Wow! We are at the airport in Austin. So glad Amazon came through and we got the smaller bags. Keeping up with that sounds crazy!

Day 9 June 26-- Byron Bay -- One of the high points for our girls, because this area is where Thor and his family live! Yes, the Helmsworth beach front property is right around here--- and word is that they were in town the day we were there... sadly, DW and DDs did not see them, despite their best efforts.

It was an early morning, with departure at 7:15 post breakfast, for a drive to Byron Bay, located and named by Captain James Cook in 1770 when he found safe anchorage here. Our group was divided into two parts of about 17, each to do both activities. We started in Byron Bay first with ocean kayaking. As they say down under, "It's about to get real."

We get to a nice park, hop out of the bus and walk over to a very enthusiastic group of "surfer types…" (Is everyone in this country fit, tanned and athletic? I guarantee that did not describe the bulk of us on the bus!)

The check-in was quick and easy, with full wetsuits, helmets (only for the shallow wave sections) and ocean kayaks with paddles. The folks gave us wetsuits to go over our swimwear - don’t care how warm the water is-- get the wetsuits. They feel a little clammy putting them on, but they feel a lot better that the stings of box jellyfish! People told DW that at the various beaches in this area they have boxes with spray vinegar for emergency jellyfish stings. Mind--- we never SAW a jellyfish--- but ABD wasn’t taking any risks!

We fitted the wetsuits and took off dragging these kayaks down to the ocean. We were two to a kayak. The lessons were short, sweet, and right on. If you paid attention for two minutes (i.e. my DW), you could master this. They had four additional kayak guides with us, and one ABD guide. Several of the younger kids partnered with a kayak guide. (When asked by DD, the kayak guide said the Chris Helmsworth was surfing in the area just slightly before we got there…Nope-- still didn’t see him.) DD said they did not care; they just enjoyed watching all the surfers. It was a struggle to get them focused back on paddling with all the buff guys around.

DSCN0399.jpg
The kayak guides "launched" each of us, one at a time, to paddle through the rather nice large waves at the surf, and no one capsized. We then paddled quite a ways around the point of Byron Bay, the eastern most point in Australia. We passed numerous paddleboarders, and surfers, and watched some fellows on some very large waves surf to shore, with their starting point less than 25 yards from us. We paddled around to the point to view the lighthouse. The guides made several stops, and filled in a great story about Byron Bay, it's history and how proud they are of what has happened here. You'll have to come to hear the stories - no spoilers here!
IMG_0483.jpg

It was whale migration season and several in our group saw humpbacks with calves surface nearby but we were too busy being in a pod of dolphins. We were on the water for probably two hours - with perfect 72 degree weather. Several people jumped into the water for a quick dip. We got out further than DW expected. Looking up, we could see the lighthouse we were supposed to visit later in the day. We saw a couple of people surfing to the right of us-- and the women were sure it was Chris Helmsworth. Frankly, DW says most of the Aussie guys on that beach look like Thor, so I suspect he's just out here hiding in plain sight! Again, all these people are physically fit and loving life.

We returned to the beach, with the guides sending us in one at a time to master the impressive waves by shore. We "surfed" a nice five foot wave nearly all the way to shore. We felt like we were 18 again. So much fun! Unfortunately, several of our compatriots did not successfully surf and discovered the joys and hardships of swamping their kayaks. The short lesson was clear - always keep the point of the boat into or directly out of a wave. Sideways you swamp. Some folks just did not listen! This was a challenging and really awesome activity that was well worth the effort put into this. DW at 65 had no issues and she will be the first to say she is not athletic - she drives to the mailbox.

Several people felt it was "hard" and wanted someone else to paddle for them. The afternoon group had more difficulty and many struggled to shore. Again, we believe the instructions were good, simple and point on if you hadn't done this before. We did have a number of people in our tour this time that did not seem to care to listen to instructions and chose to talk and continue their conversations regardless of what else was going on. Most of them were in the afternoon session. I believe today was a great lesson for them to pay attention!

Here's the part DW found amusing--- changing our clothes after the water. No changing rooms… just a small park bathroom off the park. Not luxurious accommodations but it got the job done. This was the part of the adventure where some of the more urban people had a bit of a challenge. Us? Just glad to be out of the soggy suit.

Then we go back on the bus-- and back to Byron Bay center.

This is where being in the ABD group makes it worth the price. We get to a busy local restaurant in the heart of the city. ABD had us make advance menu selections and the food hits the table just as we get there. No waiting. And boy were we tired! Over half of our group consumed a lot of wine and pints with lunch. I had fish and chips that were absolutely amazing. MMMmmmmm. Hot crispy crunchy with steaming white fish inside, and a large bottle of malt vinegar.

The divided half was finishing lunch as we arrived, so we took over their tables. They went to the ocean. Now we had time to explore, as Disney describes it, the "melting pot of surf culture, alternative philosophies and hedonistic indulgence" in the shops of Byron Bay for a short while. Midway through the afternoon, some stayed for further exploration, (or wine consumption) while some of us got back in the coach and drove to the Byron Bay lighthouse. We toured the area, spotted our compatriots in the ocean and as a group hollered loud enough they could hear and respond. We then ran/dropped 800 feet to the ocean by a pathway to play in the rocks, and climb back. We had a great "bus party" with singing and "in seat" dancing, as Australia is strict about seat belts, even on a bus.
IMG_0495.jpg

Our group (mostly) went to the lighthouse. DW wanted to get a massage on her poor aching muscles, so DD and DW stayed behind and walked around Byron Bay, because we saw lots of places for massage. And while we found massage places, they all were by appointment, so be forewarned! But it was nice day, so we walked around and looked at very expensive clothes and stuff that were very nice to look at, but WAYYY out of my price range. DD said she felt like a free bird in the 1960s…and loved loved loved this afternoon's playtime. She believes (or really hopes) this was Aussie culture. She loved the shops that were so different than what we have back home.

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Note the shadow of the lighthouse against the ocean. Spellbinding with the waves crashing.

IMG_0496.jpg
Upon return on the bus, Suzamber entertained us all and regaled us with stories of Australia and songs. We went to dinner on the Wharf, based upon recommendations from others the previous night - to a restaurant called "The Tavern." It was delicious, fast and not too expensive. That evening the DD hit the beach with the rest of the youth, DW took a hot shower, and I enjoyed just walking the hotel area and relaxing.

Last edited:

Australia was already high on my list, but this report makes me want to go sooner! I would love to do the skydiving! I’ve jumped out of planes in the Army, but nothing that has a free fall. Would love to have that experience

Australia was already high on my list, but this report makes me want to go sooner! I would love to do the skydiving! I’ve jumped out of planes in the Army, but nothing that has a free fall. Would love to have that experience
I totally agree with the first half of your statement! :D (DEFINITELY not the 2nd half!)

Wonderful report, Grifdog! Your enthusiasm for Australia is just contagious!

Sayhello

We've done a lot of traveling and adventuring. I've been a scout leader for 35 years, getting dropped at the arctic circle by seaplane and taking canoes on some pretty rough terrain (150 mile Bissett Northern Tier trip for you Scouters), and always enjoy the activities and scenery, but Australia just rings all my bells. Truly, there are more things that can kill you here than almost anywhere, and more amazing people than anywhere we have been. Every day is a thrill just to be there. We are already working on a return trip on our own to the "other" side of Australia. We will visit Tasmania while there - but we are definitely going in their winter again, after seeing the posts from DC girl who is there in the summer. That just seems too hot!

TGeorge - I did a lot of reading and studying up on the skydiving. I was very impressed with their safety, their presentation, and their attention to detail while at the same time making this a fun, simple and unforgettable skydive. As DW said - they take it seriously but "Welcome to my office" at 12000 feet. That really summarizes the Aussie attitude we kept seeing and experiencing. An easy smile, and an amazing adventure. A constant delight. I really hope you'll go and let us know of your experience!

Yes, this trip has re-ignited my adventure spirit. I still just can't stop smiling!

Can you tell me which company you used? I’ll need it for future planning purposes
There are several companies from Cairns to Sydney and we checked out all of them. Gold Coast Skydiving essentially goes every day, and they will pick you up at the airport where ABD arrives and, while there may be a delay of a couple of hours (we did not have that), they will also take you back to the Main Beach hotel, free of charge. Their safety record was very good and the reviews matched our experience. They are a bit slow in responding to e-mails but with a couple of reminders they get back to you. They also have a lot of available times, but do not accept bookings more than six months out. Just Google Gold Coast skydive australia. I recommend you view some of their videos....Enjoy!

LOL- I believe you and I travel in completely opposite fashions..I love wandering the terminal; of course that may be adaptive since I'm always laying over in ATL.
As for pins in my eyes, I believe you live close to NoVA/DC which is my idea of purgatory. I'll take hours in the SkyClub over DC traffic any day!

I have to agree with you about NoVA. We have the Blue Ridge Mountains between us and DC and they still offer some protection. We avoid DC at all costs - which is why we drove all around it to get to Baltimore. They are a different state in so many ways from the rest of Virginia. I have to go there about x4 a month for work. Without intending to insult Paris, I think the people in Paris are nicer, more courteous and more reasonable then those on the roads outside of DC. As to airport terminals, there are some that are fine. On this trip, the volunteer "information guides" at Dallas saw us and approached us and recommended we visit the hotel connected with our portion of the airport terminal. They have a lounge that was amazing, attentive, comfortable, the biggest wide screen TV I've ever seen, and they made an excellent Bloody Mary. We killed about 6 hours there of our 14 hour wait. Not a place I will ever forget, as it certainly calmed us all down.

Quantas sounds awesome and I have toyed with flying with them versus my usual Delta. We'll see in spring 2019 how the airfares compare :)
My DD is convinced that Delta means Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. Our experience on connecting flights tends to agree with that. Glad you haven't had that issue!

Sorry it took so long to respond to you - I was so focused on getting the trip report done I just jumped ahead. I still have two more days plus travel to post to complete the report. Work and volunteer work keep getting in the way.

Sorry it took so long to respond to you

No worries, the holidays are hectic!:santa:

My DD is convinced that Delta means Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. Our experience on connecting flights tends to agree with that. Glad you haven't had that issue!

Fortunately, after hundreds of thousands of miles with Delta, knocks wood..only have had issues twice- a delayed bag by about 12 hours and another one by 3 days (d/t Air France, actually)so yes, lucky in that regard.

I have to agree with you about NoVA. We have the Blue Ridge Mountains between us and DC and they still offer some protection. We avoid DC at all costs - which is why we drove all around it to get to Baltimore. They are a different state in so many ways from the rest of Virginia

I was married in Madison County VA (gorgeous area!!) and graduated from high school as well as doing residency in Tidewater...so agree 100% that NoVa is quite different than the remainder of the Commonwealth. When DD was younger and my parents decided it was time for the big DC trip they took her not me.

Thanks again for the trip report-I know it's time consuming to do one but so helpful for those of us reading it!

I was married in Madison County VA (gorgeous area!!) and graduated from high school as well as doing residency in Tidewater...so agree 100% that NoVa is quite different than the remainder of the Commonwealth. When DD was younger and my parents decided it was time for the big DC trip they took her not me.

Love Madison County! We bought a place to retire in Rappahannock County which borders both Madison and SNP. Still almost heaven. I also love Tidewater. You can be on the interstate on the Hampton bridge tunnel with bumper to bumper traffic there - and for me when a car broke down in front of me I figured I would be trapped for hours a la NoVA. Absolutely not. Traffic stops and waves you in, and every car alternates. What a beautiful place too!

Day Ten!

G’day mate! This posting is going to be multi-part, because this was a multi-part very active day. This morning started early and crisp with a buffet breakfast and wrestling to get a cup of coffee. Great hotel – very slow service. Ultimately got up and got my own from their station times three.

We gathered for four wheeling…and these large vans met us at the hotel. Yes, they were four-wheel drive, but we had envisioned open top jeeps that seat three and a driver. So while technically this may count as four wheeling, it was not what we call four wheeling. All that said, the driver for our van (which I think seats nine plus the driver) was an extremely cool and knowledgeable guide. We were not far from the city when we pulled over for what I thought was a wait for the others. Instead it was a park like setting. (Spoiler alert!) We all got out, and our guide said, follow me. 30 yards away were kangaroos in the wild. Several were within a few feet of us before bounding away. Lots of them. These are not zoo animals, not enclosed and all in the wild. Yet we were remarkably close to many of them. Aussies tell us these are like our deer - just everywhere.

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

DSCF0453.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

Our guide told us how to look for Koala bears, that would be sleeping in the tree canopy…sure enough we spotted three of them. Not the greatest picture with my iphone, but you get the idea. Through the area we tromped, and everywhere it was teeming with wildlife. A large gathering of kangaroos – several with joeys in their pocket-- were feeding. Wallabies! Everywhere. A flock of Australian Ravens followed us, noisily announcing our presence all the way back into the van.

DSCF0459.jpg

Last edited:
-continued

We left and headed for the Tamborine Mountain. This has ten different types of forest, including a rain forest. Not a musical instrument - Tamborine is the local native word the sour finger lime trees on the mountain. The drive felt like the backwoods of Virginia as we headed up and around the curves. Off road we went (better than some of our unpaved Virginia mountain roads) and we were treated to a short presentation on the flora of Australian hardwoods. Blood woods, gum trees, Iron Bark. Fascinating for me; not so much for the younger kids.

Shortly thereafter we parked, allowed the city folks a bathroom break, and headed into the rain forest. (Spoilers!)
IMG_7505.jpg
Amazing. More things that can hurt you in 45 acres than most of the USA combined. Our guide “poked” at bark on a tree which was hiding a really poisonous spider who jumped out to greet us, called a trapdoor spider. Just in the last two years they have discovered ten more species of these spiders just in the Tamborine area. Here was a tiny spider home that is also poisonous. He made a brief appearance for us, but was too quick for my camera.
DSCF0507.jpg

Hill nests made by the Australian Brush turkey which would claw you in a heartbeat.
DSCF0508.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg
Gi-normous beautiful huge fig trees, gurgling streams and waterfalls with tree frogs nearby.

DSCF0506.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

DSCF0504.jpg

Birds absolutely everywhere

IMG_0507.jpg

with a stinging tree known as the gympie or suicide plant-- a plant that draws silica into its leaves to make mini poison spikes on the underside of its leaves that have tortured many a man who touched them. The fruit is edible, Yeah, right. I looked this up back at the hotel – they understated it.

IMG_0515.jpg
From Wiki: “It is best known for stinging hairs that cover the whole plant and deliver a potent neurotoxin when touched. It is the most toxic of the Australian species of stinging trees… Contact with the leaves or twigs causes the hollow, silica-tipped hairs to penetrate the skin. The hairs cause an extremely painful stinging sensation that can last anywhere from days to years, and the injured area becomes covered with small, red spots joining together to form a red, swollen welt. The sting is famously agonizing.”

ABD was very clear to keep us from getting too close. Amazing stuff – better than fiction! And it really is a beautiful plant! The wait-a-while vine has spikes in it that catch you and hook you like a fishhook when you walk by, and it “travels” a short distance with you, like being on a leash, and then it will rip your clothes right off. We saw a lot of these. Great place to bring a date!

Last edited:
As people occasionally post on these boards, "Well this is something you can do on your own" I simply look to this one simple day and say we were all thankful to have ABD and the specialist guides with us so we did not do something amazingly stupid "on our own." If ever there was an endorsement for a guided trip, this is it.

May 2018 Still to come...day 11 and post day with a full day post trip of spectacular whale watching. Sorry - I usually do not have issues finishing things My admiration for SayHello continues to grow by leaps and bounds on how she does this. At least I finally remembered to link this to the trip report posting. While Byron Bay is now deleted from the upcoming trips, I hope this well help others.

May 2018 Still to come...day 11 and post day with a full day post trip of spectacular whale watching. Sorry - I usually do not have issues finishing things My admiration for SayHello continues to grow by leaps and bounds on how she does this. At least I finally remembered to link this to the trip report posting. While Byron Bay is now deleted from the upcoming trips, I hope this well help others.
Thanks, but I still have to finish my China Trip Report! :) And my Greece one, too, if I'm remembering correctly! :scared:

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter