Suicide (shooting) @ Universal Today

Exactly. It's like, you want to kill yourself? Fine. But don't do it in a public place in front of tons of children

Suicide is the end result of lots of wrongs in a persons life.. but it is also the ultimate in selfishness... for your own family and friends and for the people who witness it and then the people who have to clean up after your act...
at lest have some regard the public and do it at home....

Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Weak minded fool.

If they end up installing metal detectors, hopefully they'll dress them up and they wont stick out like sore thumbs. That would kinda ruin the look of that part of Citywalk.
Sorry too "zombie thread" this but after reading these ignorant comment. Suicide is none of those things. Suside is most commenly the result of things like depression. Which is a medical condition most of the time caused by a hormone imbalance. Somtimes it can be caused by medication. Sometimes by extreme social situations. In any case the individual feels nothing but a combination of sadness, anger, depression, guilt and just a scense of feeling trapped as if there is truely no other way out but to put a stop to their life. I could go on about it for pages and pages but i doubt anyone who thinks like those qouted would "get it" and are the reason why people can't get help before they excilate.

Alas, some people want to do it a public venue, bridge jumpers is a well known one.

There have been at least 2 on Disneyland Resort property. One results in having the outdoor balconies removed on the Disneyland Hotel.

It is a shame, but it can happen basically anywhere.

In any case the individual feels nothing but a combination of sadness, anger, depression, guilt and just a scense of feeling trapped as if there is truely no other way out but to put a stop to their life.

So....there are very few people who made a bonafide attempt AND weren't successful AND weren't severely injured in their attempts (which would keep them depressed for new reasons because now they have to deal with the physical aftermath). Therefore, the group of people who truly have experience in an unharmed aftermath of the suicide attempt isn't huge.

DH is one. In his early 20s, well before I met him. A misfire by his pistol is the only thing that saved him. A gun that had NEVER misfired before, that he took care of, etc etc etc.

He says that yes, those things that people said are what he felt. He actually felt that people would be better off without him around.

And in the INSTANT after he pulled the trigger, he realized that he was incredibly wrong and utterly beyond selfish.

But he doesn't "get to" talk about his actual experience because of the current thinking that it's not selfish, and those people will shout him down.

Even though he made a bonafide, never in a million years did he think it wouldn't succeed, NO warning signs NO cries for help NO calls or anything to try to save himself, attempt, survived, and immediately realized what a horrible idea it had been.

And like *that*, the extreme depression (that he had been dealing with for years) started to lift. He started exercising,weight lifting, etc, and brought himself out of it. The anti-depressant he had been on, which caused some side effects that made it all SO MUCH WORSE, had done nothing. His doctor wouldn't help take him off of it (doc was willing to put him on more drugs to counteract the big side effect, though) so he went off it cold turkey, which was horrid, he tells me. But the drugs weren't needed any longer. The misfire changed everything, and he was able to pull himself out of the hole he had been in.

I think DH is worth listening to, given his experience. He gets to have an opinion.

No matter what the person is feeling and how much we want to soft-pedal the whole thing, DH says it IS the absolutely most selfish thought-process you can have. All you are thinking about is yourself, and you're not listening to anyone else at all. His family and friends told him they loved him, and he would not hear them. he thought they were lying. He was, as he says, completely self-absorbed and selfish.

He, with his experience, has zero problems calling it selfish.

And he's worth listening to on this subject.

News reports say the man who killed himself was the ex-boyfriend of a woman who worked in the park. She had a restraining order against him and apparently he recently violated it by coming to the parking area at Universal and vandalizing her car. He entered the park today and was sighted by the ex-girlfriend, who immediately contacted park security. An Orange County deputy arrived and found the man in a smoking area behind the Despicable Me attraction. When the deputy approached, the man took out a gun and put the barrel in his mouth. There was apparently around 30 seconds of back and forth between him and the deputy, who was trying to talk him into dropping the gun. The man then pulled the trigger.

Reports say there were four park guests in the area when that happened who witnessed the suicide.

The park remained open afterwards.

2745CD6A00000578-3025129-image-m-38_1428112272646.jpg
Wow oh my

So....there are very few people who made a bonafide attempt AND weren't successful AND weren't severely injured in their attempts (which would keep them depressed for new reasons because now they have to deal with the physical aftermath). Therefore, the group of people who truly have experience in an unharmed aftermath of the suicide attempt isn't huge.

DH is one. In his early 20s, well before I met him. A misfire by his pistol is the only thing that saved him. A gun that had NEVER misfired before, that he took care of, etc etc etc.

He says that yes, those things that people said are what he felt. He actually felt that people would be better off without him around.

And in the INSTANT after he pulled the trigger, he realized that he was incredibly wrong and utterly beyond selfish.

But he doesn't "get to" talk about his actual experience because of the current thinking that it's not selfish, and those people will shout him down.

Even though he made a bonafide, never in a million years did he think it wouldn't succeed, NO warning signs NO cries for help NO calls or anything to try to save himself, attempt, survived, and immediately realized what a horrible idea it had been.

And like *that*, the extreme depression (that he had been dealing with for years) started to lift. He started exercising,weight lifting, etc, and brought himself out of it. The anti-depressant he had been on, which caused some side effects that made it all SO MUCH WORSE, had done nothing. His doctor wouldn't help take him off of it (doc was willing to put him on more drugs to counteract the big side effect, though) so he went off it cold turkey, which was horrid, he tells me. But the drugs weren't needed any longer. The misfire changed everything, and he was able to pull himself out of the hole he had been in.

I think DH is worth listening to, given his experience. He gets to have an opinion.

No matter what the person is feeling and how much we want to soft-pedal the whole thing, DH says it IS the absolutely most selfish thought-process you can have. All you are thinking about is yourself, and you're not listening to anyone else at all. His family and friends told him they loved him, and he would not hear them. he thought they were lying. He was, as he says, completely self-absorbed and selfish.

He, with his experience, has zero problems calling it selfish.

And he's worth listening to on this subject.

I agree with you. I just lost my best friend in February to suicide because she lost her only son in a car accident and she simply wasn't willing to do the work it would take to get through the grief. Yes it was selfish.

for those of you mentioning medal detectors ... plastic guns and knives are easy to get and are not detected by them. Airport security searches are the only way to avoid that. See something, say something and hope the park has a good procedure to deal with it. At the cost of admission of $160 pp/day Universal can afford to hire more security bag check people and setup more stations to move the crowd!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter