• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for Animal Kingdom Villas Rooming with Extended Family?

akruszyna

Earning My Ears
Hello! My husband and I just became Disney Vacation Club members, and we'd love to plan a big trip to Disney World this December before the crazy crowds arrive. Going would be me, my husband, our two year old son, my mother in law, and possibly my parents and brother. We'd love to stay at the Animal Kingdom Villas, but only have 250 points to work with. 375 if we borrow the max. My parents are on a budget, if they come at all, and are not DVC members, nor is my mother in law. Any suggestions on how we can all stay? I'm playing with the idea of getting a larger villa (two bedrooms or three) and paying some days in cash, but it seems like it might be cheaper getting a one bedroom and a studio and splitting up our party. I'd hate to put my mother in law on a pull-out, but the savings might be significant. Anyone do anything different? We'd be staying for 5 nights if it matters. Thanks for your help!

I would think your best use of points, and comfort of your guests would be to book a dedicated 2BR and a studio standard view at Kidani. If you are going early Dec, that's value season and a great time to visit WDW IMO. Also, if you can manage a Sun-Thurs stay that will save a few points as well. You can play with the points, and depending on your days and season, you may be able to upgrade to savannah view. We prefer Kidani because of the larger rooms and extra bathroom in the larger villas. One dedicated 2BR at Kidani would fit everyone, but not sure how comfortable everyone would be. Both sets of parents in the studio side with two beds? Then the kids on the sleeper sofa and chair? You know your family, but my first impression would be the studio and the 2BR. Good luck!

I agree with the suggestion to get a 2bdrm and studio. That's what we're planning to do in Oct with our family of 4, my parents, and my sister and maybe BIL. We're going to get a standard view since there are plenty of places around the resort to watch the animals. We're going in a different season, but it's only 319pts for both rooms for 7nts, so I would think that would work for you. Then you could put MIL in the 2nd bdrm and your brother on a pull-out, and your parents in the studio. Or give MIL the studio and your parents and brother the 2nd bedroom.

Have you considered 3 studios for the group?
you could do 1 or 2 savannah views and a value or standard view for the rest. That way you get 3 bathrooms for the group and you can always enjoy the view from the savannah villa for less points.
a value or standard room for the MIL gives privacy and the grand kids can do a "sleepover" with them on some nights. Sometimes family time gets tight on a long stretch so might give space for all to enjoy.

I would do a 2 bedroom dedicated at AKV. That gives you 3 bathrooms. Have your parents and your brother in the 2nd bedroom, there will be 2 queen beds and a bathroom. Have your mother-in-law on the pull out couch with her own bathroom in the living room. Then you and your husband have the master with your son. The pullout isn't bad as far as pullouts go, not like the pullouts of yesterday. So long as people respect your MIL privacy when it comes time for sleeping I think that would be the best use of your points.

FYI, although early December isn't as crowded generally it is a very popular DVC time. You should try to get your room as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback! Some of my family backed out, but we decided to go with a two bedroom villa in Kidani Village. We got put on a wait list, but thankfully it just came through. Can't wait!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter