Suggestion on lodging for a family of 5 in Monterey over Christmas?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
Hopefully going to see our DD in CA for the first time over Christmas and Monterey (or Carmel, maybe) seems to be a logical location for what our photographers hope to accomplish. We will have a car. Me, DH, DD, DS and DS GF (maybe) looking to stay 20-26, trying to keep it under $2200. DH of course wants Ocean view Montery Plaza, for 5?!?!?!?!? :faint: ~but I'm hoping kitchenette type scenario? I have just begun searching VRBO, DH will not do Airbnb, but cancellation freedom is key. Anyone care to offer places to stay AWAY from ?
TIA!

I recently stayed at Pine Acres Lodge in Pacific Grove which seemed to be right in between Monterey and Carmel. They have units with full kitchens. Since I was in a studio, I only had the kitchenette, but that was fine for what we were doing. There is no ocean view, but it was a very short walk to the ocean. I found it to be a good base for the surrounding areas. The area seemed to shut down early, though. If we wanted to do stuff at night, we drove to Carmel or Monterey. There seemed to be many lodges in the area with plenty of availability.

We did see a couple places in Carmel that we thought would be nice to stay at, but I cannot remember the names. There seemed to parking issues over there, though and not sure how much we'd like to stay there with a car.

I have not stayed at that place , but pacific grove is a very nice setting and most of the places there can be within walking distance to the beach. I have stayed at a few on light house ave. But they are hotels.
Most places are only the restaurants are open late. My suggestion though is to book soon, things fill up fast and get very expensive for the holiday time. And when things go on in the area things fill up way in advance.

Thanks...I think we are going to go with the Best Western Pacific Point as they offer multi-bed options and budget friendly. Thank you both for the help!

Monterey, PG, and Carmel can all be pretty expensive. Have stayed at various places throughout and haven't had any bad places. One of our favorite places to stay in that area is near Asilomar, kind of underrated place in that area, walk across the street to Asilomar and through it to a beautiful beach. Can't remember the name of the place we last stayed, let me try to find it.

Ok looked at google maps and pretty sure it was Pacific Garden Inn. There were some others in the area but some look kind of old/run down, although kind of charming lodge feel.

Last edited:
I remember one time we were looking to stay after a company picnic in Gilroy and go to Monterey. We checked prices in the Monterey area and got either no availability or motels for $300/night. Even Salinas was expensive, so we found a place in Gilroy and just drove to Monterey the next day. Turns out it was Monterey Car Week and it was packed.

It's a little late for the OP, but the KOA in Salinas might be an option. They have basic cabins that take up to 6. Around that time period it's expensive, but that's generally expected around Christmas.

Monterey, PG, and Carmel can all be pretty expensive. Have stayed at various places throughout and haven't had any bad places. One of our favorite places to stay in that area is near Asilomar, kind of underrated place in that area, walk across the street to Asilomar and through it to a beautiful beach. Can't remember the name of the place we last stayed, let me try to find it.

Ok looked at google maps and pretty sure it was Pacific Garden Inn. There were some others in the area but some look kind of old/run down, although kind of charming lodge feel.
The Best Western is in that same Asilomar location so sure did like reaing your post lol. We are splitting our 9 night stay between san mateo/San Francisco and Monterey/Big Sur areas I have 9 nights booked at each location, now just need to figure out which one we would rather spend Christmas Eve/Day at. Tryingto keeo in mind rainy weather, pllaces closing etc. DH thinks maybe do Monerey areaa first, then back toward the city for 24th on.. so we have more Holiday options, but the thought of sepnding those days at Big Sur etc sounds beautiful. Anyone have experiences either way?

Hopefully going to see our DD in CA for the first time over Christmas and Monterey (or Carmel, maybe) seems to be a logical location for what our photographers hope to accomplish. We will have a car. Me, DH, DD, DS and DS GF (maybe) looking to stay 20-26, trying to keep it under $2200. DH of course wants Ocean view Montery Plaza, for 5?!?!?!?!? :faint: ~but I'm hoping kitchenette type scenario? I have just begun searching VRBO, DH will not do Airbnb, but cancellation freedom is key. Anyone care to offer places to stay AWAY from ?
TIA!
I used to live there. Just moved about a year ago. Anything on Cannery Row will cost you. Carmel will also be very expensive. If you go a little outside you can save some money. Look into Embassy Suites by Hilton Monterey Bay Seaside and Monterey Tides.

I used to live there. Just moved about a year ago. Anything on Cannery Row will cost you. Carmel will also be very expensive. If you go a little outside you can save some money. Look into Embassy Suites by Hilton Monterey Bay Seaside and Monterey Tides.
Thanks, we chose the Best Western Inn and Suites in PG, but may have to postpone to late May now due to our DD's schedule. Will be much more crowded then, but we should have longer daylight which is nice.

Have friends in Seaside, close to the Fish House restaurant, one of our favorite seafood places.

Also do you know in Monterey is that Tiki restaurant/bar still there? Haven't been for a few years but loved the vibe and food there.

Have friends in Seaside, close to the Fish House restaurant, one of our favorite seafood places.

Also do you know in Monterey is that Tiki restaurant/bar still there? Haven't been for a few years but loved the vibe and food there.
I don't recall a Tiki restaurant in Monterey. Do you recall where in Monterey? Downtown Monterey on Alvarado? Or closer to Cannery Row? There's a restaurant in Marina, right off HWY 1, that's always changing ownership. At one time it was AJ Spurs and many, many others. I have no idea what it is now. Our favorites on the Peninsula were Club Jalapeno in Carmel ( we miss this place very much), Tommy Woks (Carmel), Gino's (Salinas/Hwy 68).

I don't recall a Tiki restaurant in Monterey. Do you recall where in Monterey? Downtown Monterey on Alvarado? Or closer to Cannery Row? There's a restaurant in Marina, right off HWY 1, that's always changing ownership. At one time it was AJ Spurs and many, many others. I have no idea what it is now. Our favorites on the Peninsula were Club Jalapeno in Carmel ( we miss this place very much), Tommy Woks (Carmel), Gino's (Salinas/Hwy 68).

Found it, i'm guessing still there. On Lighthouse, near cannery row. First time I went to Trader Sams at DLH it reminded me of this place.

http://www.hulastiki.com/blank-cgnv

I thought of Hula's last night in bed. My husband went there a couple of times with co-workers, he liked it. But that was a long time ago, I don't know if it's still there. Not a lot lasts on Lighthouse.

Yeah I remeber our favorite breakfast place up there was Island Cafe, huge delicious pancakes, i still crave sometimes and its been gone for many years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter