Stupid question about renting points

jimonb

Earning My Ears
Say you rent points through one of the companies, and who rents from you does damage to the room, can you be held responsible?

Yes. But I would be surprised if the broker doesn't at least try to help you out. To do otherwise would seriously damage their online reputation and thus, their entire business.

FWIW, we have had no reports of room damage by renters. The closest thing is a few reports of room bills not paid - renter left invalid credit card or skipped without paying.

I would think any damages would be charged to the card the renter puts on file. Failing that then the owner would be the next in line, but since you and the broker both have the renter's contact information it would not be difficult to pursue legal action against them if necessary.

I agree with CarolMN, I doubt any broker would hesitate to help in a situation such as that. It will vary from broker to broker exactly how they would handle such a situation and whether they already have anything in place to prevent it, that would be a good question to ask the firm you are considering working with.

There are risks to renting points and as a renter of points. That is why I only rent to people we known. I see no need to rent to a total stranger as we are always being ask to rent to people we know. They get a great rate, and we don't need to worry about problems.
I would post at your church, or work...I think you would be surprised how many points are available from people you can trust without the risk of dealing with unknowns.

We are renting points through any agency and the rental agreement specified we would be responsible for any room damages not the member we are renting points from.:)

We are renting points through any agency and the rental agreement specified we would be responsible for any room damages not the member we are renting points from.:)
But how do you get notified of damages? You could just walk away from them. The member is the one who is going to get the bill for the damages and their account will be frozen until what is owed is paid.

But how do you get notified of damages? You could just walk away from them. The member is the one who is going to get the bill for the damages and their account will be frozen until what is owed is paid.
It is our first time renting points (well for half our stay anyway hoping we get the rest) so I am unsure how it all works. We did have to sign a contract stating we would be held responsible, not the renter, if there were any damages and we must provide a credit card to be kept on file when we check in. The contract says it is all legally binding. I am new to renting DVC so I don't know that much about it all yet, just repeating what the contract says, LOL.:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter