Stroller for 7 and 5 year old?

Our last trip the kids were 4,3 & 2. We brought 3 cheap umbrella strollers with us and they were pure garbage. We ended up throwing one of them in the garbage at MK and leaving the other 2 outside our room with a “free” sign. When we went back to MK after dinner we rented a double from the park and it was fantastic. The seats are hard plastic and the visor isn’t very big but because they don’t fold they are absolutely the sturdiest stroller I’ve ever used and they roll like a dream. Our upcoming trip the kids will be 6,5 & 3 with an extra infant. We’ll be bringing a stroller for the baby but the plan right now is to just rent a double in the parks if we need it. Dragging 2 strollers through the airport and onto the busses is a nightmare I’m not willing to put myself through. Like previous posters said, some people insist on having a stroller and some people insist on not having one. My suggestion would be don’t bring one with you because it’s simply too much of a hassle, but if you’re in the park and you decide you need one, rent one. A single is $15 for the day and a double is $31. Not bad for the convenience they provide.

It will help your kids is you go at their pace instead of requiring them to go at your pace. Shorter legs just don't go as fast. Take time out to smell the roses, take some ice cream or popcorn breaks, take afternoon breaks back at your hotel. You can get a free cup of ice water from any counter location that serves soft drinks.

If you are on the fence, I would suggest thinking about the storage space below / on the back / up top.

My wife and I are afraid of the day that our kids are too old for the stroller. Not because the kids will have to walk, but because it is so nice to toss sweatshirts underneath, water bottles in the pouches on the back of the seats, our cell phones in the pickets on top. Sunglasses, sunscreen, anti-bac wipes, etc... It all goes in there.

It is so great to have all of that storage. We load it up at the beginning of the week and it is our pack horse for the week. If you are on the fence, think about that.

For what its worth, we have an 8 year old, 6 year old, and twin 4 years olds. We take a double citi mini. The older guys fight over who can sit in the stroller by the end of the day

My wife and I are afraid of the day that our kids are too old for the stroller. Not because the kids will have to walk, but because it is so nice to toss sweatshirts underneath, water bottles in the pouches on the back of the seats, our cell phones in the pickets on top. Sunglasses, sunscreen, anti-bac wipes, etc... It all goes in there.

It is so great to have all of that storage. We load it up at the beginning of the week and it is our pack horse for the week. If you are on the fence, think about that.

Don't be afraid. It is so liberating. Each kid gets their own bag, and carries their own stuff. It's absolutely awesome!

Don't be afraid. It is so liberating. Each kid gets their own bag, and carries their own stuff. It's absolutely awesome!
Oh yeah. The day we didn't take a stroller and told our son he had to carry his own stuff was the day he left a bunch of it in the villa instead of hauling it to the park.

It really depends on your kids and your preferences. We haven't used a stroller at Disney since ours were very small, but when my youngest was five (at Disneyland, a much smaller park) he was carried on the shoulders of his uncle frequently - so a stroller would have probably been easier. He has Ehlers Danlos syndrome so he fatigues easily. At age seven, however, he did not need a stroller at all at Disney World. We did make sure we took breaks when needed. My oldest never needed a stroller at all after the age of 2 (he was and is very active). Definitely a varies-by-kid-and-family sort of thing. If choosing to get one, I'd rent a single and not a double, probably, and let them alternate as needed.

For us, not since 4.5ish. My kids would have died if I suggested they ride in a stroller at 7. Like others said, they each get a small backpack to carry jackets, ponchos, water, snacks, and we go at the pace of the slowest memeber of the group - which is usually an adult lol.

Oh yeah. The day we didn't take a stroller and told our son he had to carry his own stuff was the day he left a bunch of it in the villa instead of hauling it to the park.

My son started carrying a small messenger bag (the Disney Store used to carry them...they were perfect for little kids!) in the parks at 5yo. After seven years of using it for his Nintendo DS.... we finally had to throw it out because the internal zipper tore.

I should note that he didn't carry anything expensive, autograph book, Sharpies, disposable poncho, snacks, etc. He was totally able to keep track of it. :-)

I really had a tough time with this decision when I took my youngest two, just turned 5 and 6. My 5yo was a whiner and asked to be carried in Target. I knew I wasn't going to bring one with us, so I decided to wait and see. If we didn't make it through the first day without any whining I would have rented from an outside company and have it delivered to our resort (We were there 12 days), if later in the trip we had an issue I would have rented in the park. Surprisingly, not a single whimper from my whiner. We went at their pace and we took afternoon breaks and we only did a couple late nights. After the Electrical Parade my husband carried him because of the crowds, and one night he fell asleep on the bus and we carried him back to the room, that was the only time he was carried.

I do think if we would have done open to close, a stroller would have been necessary, but we all love the afternoon break.

One of my favorite photos from one of our first Disney trips is of my youngest asleep on her father's shoulders, her little head on top of his, her eyes closed and her mouth sweetly smiling. Sure, they fell asleep a couple of times on the bus too, but so did I!

I did not use a stroller when i took my daughter who was nearly 5 on our mother/daughter trip last year. As long as we took things nice and slow, with some stops for treats or parade breaks, she did great. I do have to admit that there were times, like when we had fastpast times that were closing, that I wish I had a stroller so we could move a little faster! We have another trip coming up later this year and I think that we will skip the strollers again. We can always rent one if we need one!

Delta makes double umbrella strollers. That's what we use. If you don't bring a stroller, be prepared to carry your kiddos by the end of the day. It's exhausting at that age! Plus, the stroller + rain cover is so useful when it rains.

We’re going soon with a 5 and 7 year old. We don’t have a stroller for regular life, but are renting a double and having it delivered to the resort. It works for us. The kids enjoy a comfortable place to rest in the shade. They can nap if we go all day. I have a place to hold all the crap. And I feel less anxious about moving my kids through crowds.

I have always brought a stroller to WDW. If you don't need it everyday leave it in the car or the hotel. But on days you are at the park for extended periods of time the kids need a break. Also it's a great place to put the backpack with snacks and change of clothes if needed, poncho's etc.. I hate carrying a backpack so it's easier for me to put everything in the stroller.

Should we be bringing a double stroller for a 7.5 yr old and a 5 year old? We will be flying from Wisconsin.

Yes, yes and h*ll yes. But rent one from I think it is called Orlando Stroller Co. They drop it off at your resort/hotel, they pick it up there, it is easy. The only thing is getting the stroller on a tram to get to the park. But man, you will be so happy you have it in the park. Trust me on this.

Like so many have said, it's really a personal decision. We've been completely stroller free since my younger one was 4 (about 2.5 mos from her 5th bday). We had a double stroller for the trip prior to that (right after she turned 4). I got the double b/c I just didn't want her big sis to fight over the stroller, but at 6, big sis was mortified over the idea of being in a stroller and she walked the entire trip...and she's tiny for her age (always has been). In the early days of being stroller free, I just watched for signs of them getting tired so we could take breaks or do something where they could sit for a while. It worked, because we had many days where they went from 7am to midnight without a stroller. It's just so liberating to be stroller free.

I know some worry about missing the stroller storage, but I'd rather carry around a backpack vs. push a stroller and deal with it on buses and boats. Plus, I don't have to worry about stroller theft or stroller content theft this way.

Still, you know your kids best, so if you think you may need it...maybe plan for one. If not, plan for a last minute way to get one just in case.

We did a stroller in 2016 and 17. we decided we are going stroller free this upcoming September! Our girls are 4 and 7. our 4 year old will be 14 weeks shy of her 5th birthday so I think she will be just fine. I will miss the "Storage" benefits of a stroller but not having to lug that thing on and off the buses, monorail and find parking at every attraction or show out weighs the storage to us. We figure if we "Have" to have one we will rent one for the day but only as a last resort.

For the 5 year old yes! When my son was 5 he used it all the time in the parks. When he was 6 we used it at night if he felt he needed it (mostly just pushed it around empty). This trip last week (he's 7 now) we didn't have a stroller. My phone said we walked 6-8 miles a day! He never complained that his feet hurt or he was tired. Do you think if you have one for the 5 year old then the 7 year old will also want a ride? Maybe rent a double just in case - you can always use it as a bag holder.

We always took our double until the kids outgrew it. Then we went to two large jogging strollers. At home, my kids do not walk 10-12 miles a day in soul-sucking heat.

I would bring a single stroller just in case. I'd leave it in the room for the first couple days and see how they do. If they really are too tired a single will be fine and they can switch off and on.
Last trip my youngest turned 6. We brought the stroller just in case. It never left the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter