Strange Aural Phenomenon on the Seven Seas Lagoon?

J. Thornhill

Watermouse Captain
The last few times we've stayed at the Polynesian, we've noticed that it is possible to hear sounds echoing across the Seven Seas Lagoon from the MK to the Poly beach on the south shore. One day last year as we relaxed on the beach, we were able to hear an ENTIRE production of Cinderella's Surprise Celebration playing in the Castle Forecourt.

Strangely, the next day at the same time, we were unable to hear anything. Perhaps it was the wind direction?

I'd heard that folks at the GF were sometimes bothered by the Howling from the Haunted Mansion or the whistle from the WDW Railroad, but this is the first time I'd heard so much so clearly.

Obviously, a minor point, but I just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

I've been able to hear music from the MK at the Polynesian, too, on occasion although rather faintly. Besides wind I think it can depend on humidity, too although I can't remember how?:confused:

At the GF the buildings around the marina form kind of a canyon I think and the sounds from the fireworks and BTMR really echo. Very cool.

humidity, too although I can't remember how?

Wind direction and humidity join to create this 'effect'.

The humidity...when it is higher...that means there is a higher density of water suspended in the air....that density allows sounds (which travel as waves) to be carried a much greater distance then if there is lower humidity.

Thank you very much Goofyposter. :D

We hear it all the time over at the GF. It isn't really a problem to us though. We sort of enjoy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter