Sting Ray on Cataway Cay & Sunscreen

Aerin75

DIS Veteran
We are signed up to do the Sting Ray adventure on Castaway Cay, and we remember that the Dolphin encounters required no sunscreen (or animal safe sunscreen).
I didn't read anything like that for the Sting Ray adventure, but can anyone tell me if sunscreen is an issue for that? If so, any recommendations for the animal safe? Right now the only sunscreen on the packing list is SPF 70 or above! :)

Thanks!!

We did the Sting Ray Adventure a few years ago and had sun screen on before entering the water. I don't remember any requirements that we NOT use it. Perhaps because the rays stay underwater the whole time while the dolphins surface.

We did it in March. I don't remember any sunscreen rules, but it was an overcast day, so I might not have noticed. It's pretty open to the rest of the beach and ocean, so if you're wearing sunscreen on the swimming beach, that would be in the water where the rays are, too.

We did it in March. I don't remember any sunscreen rules, but it was an overcast day, so I might not have noticed. It's pretty open to the rest of the beach and ocean, so if you're wearing sunscreen on the swimming beach, that would be in the water where the rays are, too.

Just to note, you CAN get sunburned on overcast days. Some of my worst burns have been on cloudy/overcast days. :)

That's true. And with the water, the rays are even amplified. We didn't have any trouble that day, though.

Oh yes. I learned that lesson SUPER well on my first cruise (Emerald Seas when I was in 6th grade). Though that WAS a sunny day. I was just never in the water super long at the beach we normally went to in NC because I like to kind of see what is around my feet and legs - but put me in the crystal clear water at the beach on Paradise Island (this was thankfully pre-Atlantis when it was just gorgeous beach) and my mom had to drag me out of the water. I had sunscreen on, and we did reapply, but it was clearly not a match for the sun off the water. And I was RED when we finally left. Our server offered to get vinegar for me (I looked at him like he was crazy and said "I am NOT a pickle!!" which made everyone laugh), and I had to wear the badge of shame (shirt over suit) any time I was outside in a bathing suit for the rest of the trip.

We did the Stingray excursion at Castaway and were given no instructions regarding sunscreen. You should be fine.

We went last Jan and nothing was said about sunscreen. I use the brand Alba botanica sunscreen. It's one of the more earth friendly sunscreens. They have lots of different types. I like the one in the purple tube that contains lavender and the Hawaiian one with green tea. Both smell great and leave our skin soft. My dd is blond, blue-eyed, fair skin child who has never had a sunburn(even when my dh takes her to the pool and doesn't re-apply the sunscreen as often as he should) You'll be fine with whatever sunscreen you chose, but this brand has worked well for our family.

Oh yes. I learned that lesson SUPER well on my first cruise (Emerald Seas when I was in 6th grade). Though that WAS a sunny day. I was just never in the water super long at the beach we normally went to in NC because I like to kind of see what is around my feet and legs - but put me in the crystal clear water at the beach on Paradise Island (this was thankfully pre-Atlantis when it was just gorgeous beach) and my mom had to drag me out of the water. I had sunscreen on, and we did reapply, but it was clearly not a match for the sun off the water. And I was RED when we finally left. Our server offered to get vinegar for me (I looked at him like he was crazy and said "I am NOT a pickle!!" which made everyone laugh), and I had to wear the badge of shame (shirt over suit) any time I was outside in a bathing suit for the rest of the trip.

FYI for those that think a t shirt will give protection a white shirt only has an spf of 5-7 so make sure you put sun screen on under the tshirt. DD never burns yet did at castaway cay because of the rays off the water, even with sun screen.
We ended up buying a rash guard to protect her back for the second day at CC. Also do not wait until you get on the island to put the first round of sunscreen on. It really does need to soak in. Reapply often.

FYI for those that think a t shirt will give protection a white shirt only has an spf of 5-7 so make sure you put sun screen on under the tshirt. DD never burns yet did at castaway cay because of the rays off the water, even with sun screen.
We ended up buying a rash guard to protect her back for the second day at CC. Also do not wait until you get on the island to put the first round of sunscreen on. It really does need to soak in. Reapply often.

Yes, we know this now. This happened in the early 80s when we didn't know better.

We are signed up to do the Sting Ray adventure on Castaway Cay, and we remember that the Dolphin encounters required no sunscreen (or animal safe sunscreen).
I didn't read anything like that for the Sting Ray adventure, but can anyone tell me if sunscreen is an issue for that? If so, any recommendations for the animal safe? Right now the only sunscreen on the packing list is SPF 70 or above! :)

Thanks!!

Wow I did not know that about the dolphins and I bet my life that I put sunscreen on because I did not pay attention

Thanks everyone! I'm seriously stocking up on the sunscreen so I can reapply early and often, and I'm glad to know I don't need to hunt extra hard - first time I found spf 70 was in Nevada and I just ran across it. Easy enough to find online of course. :)

I don't recall any restrictions on Castaway Cay but like @FigmentSpark said, you'd be in the same water as the rays even if you weren't doing the excursion. We did use Badger sunblock while in Mexico, where there were restrictions with no problems. The problem they're concerned about isn't just animal safety, but coral reef bleaching. Chemicals in sunscreen can kill coral. You can Google "badger sunscreen reef safe" and they have more info on that, and their products. I mostly went with that brand because I'd heard of it before, was relatively affordable, and easy to find. I can't say we all loved it. It was thick and pasty, but served its purpose and our needs. There are others out there as well.

I don't recall any restrictions on Castaway Cay but like @FigmentSpark said, you'd be in the same water as the rays even if you weren't doing the excursion. We did use Badger sunblock while in Mexico, where there were restrictions with no problems. The problem they're concerned about isn't just animal safety, but coral reef bleaching. Chemicals in sunscreen can kill coral. You can Google "badger sunscreen reef safe" and they have more info on that, and their products. I mostly went with that brand because I'd heard of it before, was relatively affordable, and easy to find. I can't say we all loved it. It was thick and pasty, but served its purpose and our needs. There are others out there as well.
Hey thanks! I hadn't thought about the reef...I should have, but I didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter