Staying at Universal while visiting Disney?

ProfT

Earning My Ears
Hello - I have been lurking the Universal threads for a few weeks now and have noticed a lot of helpful folks here. I hope that perhaps some of you can help my family out.

I will be travelling to Orlando with my wife and son of 14yrs over the Christmas break. We have visited Disney numerous time staying at all levels of Disney resort so are very familiar with their properties. However, this trip we are planning on visiting both USO and Disneyworld. We will have car.

Our first part of the trip will be at Universal and we plan on staying three nights at Portofino Bay for the Express passes (we are travelling over the Christmas holidays after all). The challenge for us is that my son has very strict and severe dietary restrictions so we usually need a fridge and a microwave so as to avoid eating burgers and fries for the entire vacation (don't get me wrong, we love our fast food but find it hard to eat it for two weeks).

When looking at Disney resorts with kitchenettes over the holidays, they are way too expensive. Our plan, since we have a car, was to stay off property.

However, in my research, we came across the family suites at Cabana Bay. When I showed my family, they really wanted to stay in them. It looks like the perfect (and fun) hotel for us and the price is much more reasonable than anything Disney offers.

My question is: has anyone stayed at a Universal property while visiting the Disney parks? We will be renting a car. From Google maps, it seems like the commute between the two is fairly easy and quick. Are we missing something? I think our only other option would be to stay offsite near Disney in a unit with kitchenette.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Quite a few people do this

I stayed at Sapphire Falls and did visit Disney as well. I used shuttle buses - and they were always full with people from the various Universal Hotels.
I would do that again if i was going to go to Disney.

The main disadvantage is you dont get EMH - if your someone that takes advantage of that - I know I did miss that - especially the late MK hours.
The other thing is you have to pay to park at the Hotel and pay to park at Disney - so keep that in mind for your costs for the room.
Traffic may also be an issue - I am sure someone local can chime in on that

Although I really prefer the Universal Hotels over the Disney Hotels in almost every way (liek you I have stayed at most of the Disney Hotels) - adding in the price of parking seems to really make it not worthwhile IMO
Do they have family rooms with a kitchenette at All Stars? I thought they did -but maybe they are unavailable when you are going.

Other than that it may be worthwhile staying off site near Disney - but personally I think you waste too much time getting to the parks when you stay off site.

I love Universal and its hotels but, personally, I would not want to do that drive every day.

As an alternative, what about the DoubleTree Suites in Disney Springs? http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/ho...rlando-disney-springs-area-MCOFHDT/index.html

Nice hotel, on Disney property with a shuttle and within walking distance to Disney Springs. All suites come with a kitchenette with microwave, fridge and sink.

You can often get deals on these hotels on the Disney Springs Hotels page (http://disneyspringshotels.com/special-offers/) or Mousesavers (https://www.mousesavers.com/doubletree-suites-by-hilton-in-the-walt-disney-world-resort/).

You would get all the amenities you are looking for and would be on Disney property, making for a much easier commute

We do this a lot. We rent a car and try to arrive at the parks before rope drop to alleviate some traffic. Or we go midday and stay late. We do have AP's for the Disney parks so we aren't paying for parking or needing to stay an entire day at the parks. We prefer staying at HRH rather than a Disney resort.

Thank you everyone! Appreciate the helpful responses.
Although I really prefer the Universal Hotels over the Disney Hotels in almost every way (liek you I have stayed at most of the Disney Hotels) - adding in the price of parking seems to really make it not worthwhile IMO
Do they have family rooms with a kitchenette at All Stars? I thought they did -but maybe they are unavailable when you are going.

I actually looked into this. The big wrinkle is that we are travelling over the Christmas holidays so the family rooms at All Stars are almost 3 X the amount of the Cabana Bay family suites. I also factor in parking when doing the comparison. Cabana Bay family suite is coming in at less than a regular room at Disney's Pop Century. We have family staying on property and have already decided "not" to use Disney's EMH. Just does not work with our plans.

I love Universal and its hotels but, personally, I would not want to do that drive every day.
This is is what we are worried about. Have looked into rooms with kitchenettes nearby and actually found one that we liked. I think we want the fun of staying at Cabana Bay and because my son has other special needs, we almost always take the car to the parks in order to control when and how we come an go.

We do this a lot. We rent a car and try to arrive at the parks before rope drop to alleviate some traffic. Or we go midday and stay late. We do have AP's for the Disney parks so we aren't paying for parking or needing to stay an entire day at the parks. We prefer staying at HRH rather than a Disney resort.
Thank you. This is good advice. Even when factoring paying theme park parking, Cabana Bay comes in about the same as a standard room at Pop. What can you say - it is Christmas time and Disney knows it. :-)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advise. Really appreciate it.

One thing to note that hasn't been said (but you may already know) is that Cabana Bay does not include Universal Parks Unlimited Express Passes. Over Christmas it's quite busy and Express pass is indeed very beneficial

One thing to note that hasn't been said (but you may already know) is that Cabana Bay does not include Universal Parks Unlimited Express Passes. Over Christmas it's quite busy and Express pass is indeed very beneficial
Thanks TommyJK
Good advice. The plan was to stay at Portofino for our Universal portion of the trip (for the Express Pass) and move to Cabana for the Disney portion. Your advice confirms that this would probably be a good decision.

Ah sorry. Must have mis-read that. Thought you were thinking of instead staying the entire time at Cabana Bay.

Definitely do the PBR stay for your 3 days at the Uni parks. That way you get the EP.

You can transfer to CB at that point. The family suites are nice. They have a small fridge, no freezer section though. Microwave oven and sink are also petite. We stocked it with a quick trip to supermarket just 2 miles down the road.

What might really help you is the Bayliner Diner at CB. We loved the selections and the price was reasonable for Orlando. There is some grab and go and cafeteria style platings.

The only thing is the commute to WDW. It is not as short as I would have thought just looking at maps. Leave yourself a good 30 min.

The only thing is the commute to WDW. It is not as short as I would have thought just looking at maps. Leave yourself a good 30 min.

Thank you for the comments and info. The commute is what I was worried about. Like you said, looking at the maps it seems like it would be pretty quick which is what I was hoping for. From yours and other's comments it definitely is "a trip". Mind you, 30 minutes is shorter than my daily commute to work though.:car:

We have visited Disney for a day or two when staying at Universal. Even though we had a car, we uber’Ed from UO to Disney. It was actually cheaper than parking and we got dropped off at the drop off zone instead of trudging through the parking lots.

Thank you everyone! Based on the information we received on this board, we have decided to stay closer to Disney during that portion of the trip. As mentioned, we have family staying on property and I suspect that we will want to go back to our room after the parks before meeting up with family. I think if it wasn't over the holidays and we were not travelling with family, ,we would probably attempt it. It seems from the feedback here that it is doable but the commute (whether by car or Uber) does take some time.

Will have to visit Cabana Bay and perhaps stay there in the future.

Thanks to everyone who responded - greatly appreciate your advice.:thanks:

Be sure to include in your budget, the cost of parking. You will pay $22 night at Cabana Bay just for parking. You will then pay $20 for parking when you arrive at Disney.

You also don't get Express Passes when you stay at Cabana Bay.

The DVC properties have Microwaves and Refrigerators in the Studio units. The 1 and 2 bedroom units have full kitchens. You could save money on these units by renting points from David's DVC Rentals. https://www.dvcrequest.com/
Disney doesn't charge parking for guests of their resorts.

I thought that honestly commuting from a universal resort to Disney took less time than fussing with waiting and busses at Disney.

adding in the price of parking seems to really make it not worthwhile IMO

Those rooms are not cheap, have weird sleeping arrangements, and that kitchenette is sad. I don’t remember a microwave, honestly.

Thank you everyone! Based on the information we received on this board, we have decided to stay closer to Disney during that portion of the trip.

Oh bummer. I thought it was a terrific plan but didn’t see this post last month.

I thought that honestly commuting from a universal resort to Disney took less time than fussing with waiting and busses at Disney.

Absolutely!!!!

The commute imo is easy. There are back ways, too. But even taking 4 it’s...get to freeway, take the freeway (which is sometimes fast and sometimes slow, like freeways always are), exit and take Disney “highways” to the park of choice.

Might take time some days, but it’s not hard.

And then you get to be on Uni property the rest of the time, with citywalk there and ALL the pools onsite at your fingertips, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter