Split stay Waikiki/Aulani- looking for hotel & other tips

NUHuskies#1

My kids speak in COD code.. I don't know what it m
Hi folks,
First time to Hawaii and looking to do a split stay to Waikiki and Aulani. We have six days booked at Aulani and looking to stay in Waikiki for a few days before heading to Aulani. Thinking Outrigger Reef or Hilton Hawaiian Village and car rental to see Diamond Head and USS Arizona. Any suggestions?

Not sure when you are going but keep in mind the Hilton Hawaiian Village has lovely pools but I have read in a few reports here on the boards that the pools are not heated. This is fine in the summer but in the winter months it can be chilly. My point is dont let the pools sway you to HHV if you are going in the winter. The HHV is kind of on the edge of Waikiki where as the Outrigger Reef is a little closer. The HHV has a public swimming lagoon at the beach but the beach in front of the Outrigger Reef isnt as nice and sits right on a reef so it can get rocky as you go out. Imo, you cant really go wrong with either.

We're also doing a split Waikiki/Aulani stay in September. I booked with a travel agent. My Waikiki pick was Hilton Hawaiian Village, however the travel agent warned that its at the far end of the "strip" and not as centrally located as some other options. During this discussion, the customer next to me leaned over and said she had stayed there and the one tower they were in (Diamond Head) was horrible. I asked my travel agent if we could book the Ali'i Tower, which is more expensive but comes with more amenities, and she said she could book it but that the hotel had been known to bump guests out of the tower they book. That made me nervous. So I ended up settling on Waikiki Beach Marriott. It's being renovated which will be mostly complete by the time I go, and it's true central strip. I was able to book an ocean view room at a cheaper price point than HHV as well.

We aren't renting a car until we move to Aulani, so we don't have to hassle with Waikiki traffic and parking (and parking costs). For Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor, we are doing tours that pick up from the hotel (or immediate vicinity) and drop you off. The Pearl Harbor tour also handles getting the tickets for you.

If you don't mind being a half block off the beach, recommend the Embassy Suites. True suites at a more reasonable price, and includes a daily breakfast buffet which can save some good money. Also right above Waikiki Beach Walk which to me is the current heart of Waikiki. Lacking a good pool, but since you will have that at Aulani, and with the beach so close, not sure you need it. Either way, you might also check TripAdvisor, have found that website a good resource for making these kind of decisions. (Emabssy is currently ranked #5 hotel in Honolulu there, above both HHV and Outrigger Reef.)

Last edited:
Compared to HHV, Waikiki Beach Marriott is a very good choice for location, essentially the beach is right across the main street called Kalakaua Avenue and there are many great places to eat and shop in this central location. No one really has a very good pool in the are with the exception of HHV and Sheraton Waikiki (infinty edge plus a little waterslide) http://www.sheraton-waikiki.com/property/poolexperience/
Embassy Suites is good but I have always found it pricey, like 100 bucks more a night than similar properties but you are right in that they are suites and a decent breakfast buffet. My favorite right now is the newer Hyatt Place which runs around 220-260/night but the rooms have 2 queens or a King (not 2 doubles) AND a pull out sleeper sofa plus includes a breakfast. I am sure it is a typical one step up from continental breakfast but it is included and there is no resort fee. It is a couple of blocks back from the beach on the same street as the Waikiki Beach Marriott(it sits between two streets)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the great responses. I think we're going to rent a small condo at the Illikia in order to extend our stay in Waikiki in August. VRBO has terrific options. I like the idea of a small kitchen for some meals too. We rented a car through Costco but will keep my eyes on the prices. The Aulani forum had some great tips which I'm sure will come in handy. Thank you all!

I think you have made a great choice-the Ilikai is iconic and one of the first true resorts in Waikiki. It is away from central Waikiki but people have done some amazing things with those units. I have toyed with staying there myself, especially the ones with the ocean or canal views. Plus you have the added bonus of the HHV lagoon (the lagoon is public) and Duke Kahanamoku beach being right there. You can walk to Ala Moana Mall too and you cant beat the kitchen, even if it is just for quick breakfasts or lunches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter